Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Time For a Major Change?
Date: October 26, 2009 04:39

Beatles in 60's, Sex Pistols in 70's, Synths in 80's, Nirvana and Rap in 90's-
isn't it about time for a massive shake-up? I was reading a U2 concert thread, and this discussion I have been having a lot in last few weeks reared it's head again. Does it all even matter? How long are crowds still going to go to rock shows, and sing along, watch the whole electric guitar bit?
Rock bands have lost any kind of danger or mystique; through the Net, through over exposure, through Spinal Tap, through time and quantity and repetition. The electric guitar, the symbol has been cheapened by Guitar Hero; lost any kind of power. The rebellion once associated with rock'n roll is gone simply because of age. The rebels are now grand fathers. And youth must go against the status quo just out of principle.
But where to? In a way - everything has been done. I see so many bands that I meet, doing things "differently", not from conviction, but just out of desperation to do stand out from the pack in some way. People dragging out Cellos and kickdrums on their back, not because "This is my calling; this is what I must do" but just because they don't want to look like everyone else on the B-Stage.
Rap, Gangster rap is a joke. Not because it IS a joke but it has become silly. It is going through the same process as rock; just faster.
Mash-Ups, sampling, Psycho-billy, Bass& Drum, combining an aria from Carmen" with a Banjo track, just because...
There will always be a place for the anti hero with a low strung guitar, singing his song in a bar, about a girl, cars and whiskey.
But when I look around at the big shows, even arena or theatre shows, and I see the whole rituals, everyone singing along, and holding up the phones I am thinking it is the equivalent of reality TV shows to me. It is reaching an ending point, where it just can't go anymore. I mean - look at that U2 monster that they are carting around; that stage thing. Isn't that just about it? What else can you do? Elephants?

Re: Time For a Major Change?
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 26, 2009 04:59

The future is already here. One can listen to concerts on their PCs or Ipods, so the show can be carried in your coat pocket. The days of bumping into drunken idiots and trying to see the show are nearly over. I stopped going to concerts several years ago.

Within 5-10 years, the big-name live concert will come exclusively in a pay-per-view broadcast format. Sure, you'll still be able to see live music in clubs or small theatres, but the big-draw acts are getting fewer by the year.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: October 26, 2009 05:17

There will always be live concerts, i am an entertainer and I just know by watching people they just love the being there, live element rather than seeing it on a screen or from an ipod. People like to react and get a reaction, that's why live entertainment will never die.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 26, 2009 07:53

Live music is the language of our past. It is human story telling at its finest. Primevil in its appeal becuase it sings to a genetic code imbedded in our psychies. There will always be live music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-26 07:57 by whitem8.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: October 26, 2009 13:54

Rock 'n Roll isn't dangerous and mystical anymore. Anything and everything is revealed. There's no secret left. Once it happened it is on YouTube a couple of minutes later, and people dicuss it to death on forums. Times changed drastically in the last 15 years. I don't think that there will be an end for live music anytime soon but the ways you'll be able to consume it are different. You can watch anything anywhere at any time. A rock concert is not a so special event anymore.

Most of us have seen the end of vinyl and cassette tapes, the end of CD's and record shops. And now we are witnessing how it all becomes a lil' bit boring over the time thanks to a certain media overkill and constant availability of anything due to our convenience and endless curiosity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-26 13:55 by Bimmelzerbott.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 26, 2009 14:19

How long are crowds still going to go to rock shows, and sing along, watch the whole electric guitar bit?

As long as it makes us happy, I guess?

This could possibly become a great thread, because you are touching one of the quintessential
matters of rock 'n roll, ever since it became "salonfähig". But I think the necessity
of being dangerous or mistifying is a bit overrated in your post. Rock 'n roll helped the
youth in the 60s to emancipate from their parents. Ever since these youths became parents
themselves, the need to emancipate was lost for young people. Kids and teens are very
independent these days. No need to have shockingly unhealthy looking cats to guide them
away from the do's and don'ts of the adults.

Rock 'n roll no longer needs to be dangerous. It became just a form of entertainment.

Date: October 26, 2009 14:47

Yes Marco, I was sort of hoping others would chip in, because this could be a good thread. That is exactly what my debates in the last few weeks have been about. In essence it has come down to "What is rock'n roll anymore?" and then even "What is music?"
I know what "salonfaehig" means. So if we say "Rockn Roll is decent and acceptable in our parents' living room", the rockn roll has become the norm. The basic form of entertainment. So the definition has changed. It still entertains, but everyone partakes. Ok.
So what will the new "rebel music" be then? because there was a time when rock was dangerous. It was called "devil's music"; and Lennon was blacklisted. And gangster rap was considered a fuse toward gang violence.But you can not be both. You can't be the establishment, and be against it too. Or not "against it", but -
Speak to the establishment from the outside.
There. That is what the art of rebel music is. To tell the establishment about what is up, what needs to be done, what it (=the establishment) can do better.
I am thinking about a band like Tinariwen. And it being part of a huge shift in the globe of including Africa as a real player. Let's not go into politics here, but I see a real need for it to happen. And then someone who speaks like Tinariwen will be huge.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: October 26, 2009 16:34

Yes, it's time for Bono to take a vow of silence.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 26, 2009 16:55

Rust never sleeps .Rock and roll is here to stay .It's better to burn out,than to fade away .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 26, 2009 17:56

marcovandereijk

Rock 'n roll no longer needs to be dangerous. It became just a form of entertainment.

True, but I would add that RnR NEVER needed to be dangerous.

It always was about having sex and fun. It is a positive energy.

It became a symbol of rebellion, only because at one point of the history of this world, having sex and fun was not considered decent behavior.

This is so true that even its most angry expressions, punk for example, are still great party music.

You don't need to be young and angry to rock and roll.

All you need is want to party.

Play a boogie on the piano or a guitar.

Join in on the chorus!

C

Date: October 26, 2009 20:05

liddas
marcovandereijk

True, but I would add that RnR NEVER needed to be dangerous.

It always was about having sex and fun. It is a positive energy.

It became a symbol of rebellion, only because at one point of the history of this world, having sex and fun was not considered decent behavior.

This is so true that even its most angry expressions, punk for example, are still great party music.

You don't need to be young and angry to rock and roll.

All you need is want to party.

Play a boogie on the piano or a guitar.

Join in on the chorus!

I would say this, to that:
Th wording and the casings of the message morph, and shift, but the message itself rings clear and always the same. I don't know you personally Liddas, but I know your posts. I know that you "know" rock'n roll.
So you can utter the same words but the weight changes within time and space.
Words are words, but the spirit is true. I hear Strummer call for a party over a Dub, it is different than hearing Manilow call for a party at the Copa .
Positive energy - yes; and there are times when the positive energy needs to be heard for an overthrow.
And I would also add, that there is a difference between 'danger' and 'mystique'.

Date: October 27, 2009 00:00

At this point I am a little more concerned with the state of the economy than the state of rock 'n' roll.
Are you saying that something a la Woodstock will not take place much longer?
I'm not so sure > http://www.billboard.com/news/coachella-fest
Me, personally, I love to see music performed live, but will only go if I'm certain to have a decent seat.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 27, 2009 02:06

Within 10 years, the big rock stars will be out of the picture for good. Even our beloved Stones.

Maybe rock has run its' course. It's been going for just over 50 years. Maybe it's time a new form of popular music appeared on the horizon.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: October 27, 2009 02:44

I agree with you. I think it's time for a big change. Rock and roll is played out. I don't think it has room to grow anywhere. The form is too constricting.

Here in the U.S. there is a burgeoning music movement called "Americana" (there are even some Americana radio stations) where the musicians reach deep into traditional American music styles that pre-date rock and roll -- swing, country, traditional blues, country blues, and others. I'd like to think this music style will blossom, but I doubt it.

One thing that rock had going for it was that it is easy to play compared to jazz, the favored musical genre that came before it. Rock had success in part because, as the punks used to say, "anybody can be a rock star." The music itself is not very demanding.

With iPods and all the other electronic devices, Americans are more musically illiterate than ever. They just don't know how to play instruments anymore. They know how to download music, but not play it. So the chances that Americans can create a whole new musical forum that will be original and intriguing are slim.

Probably all we can expect in the "big new thing" is more electron sampling and cross-pollinating. I'm not optimistic.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 27, 2009 03:16

Pietro
I agree with you. I think it's time for a big change. Rock and roll is played out. I don't think it has room to grow anywhere. The form is too constricting.

Here in the U.S. there is a burgeoning music movement called "Americana" (there are even some Americana radio stations) where the musicians reach deep into traditional American music styles that pre-date rock and roll -- swing, country, traditional blues, country blues, and others. I'd like to think this music style will blossom, but I doubt it.

One thing that rock had going for it was that it is easy to play compared to jazz, the favored musical genre that came before it. Rock had success in part because, as the punks used to say, "anybody can be a rock star." The music itself is not very demanding.

With iPods and all the other electronic devices, Americans are more musically illiterate than ever. They just don't know how to play instruments anymore. They know how to download music, but not play it. So the chances that Americans can create a whole new musical forum that will be original and intriguing are slim.

Probably all we can expect in the "big new thing" is more electron sampling and cross-pollinating. I'm not optimistic.

Agree too, and not only for the Americanswinking smiley
The last good thing in rock'n'roll was NIRVANA !
Still waitin' for something new, something else since...

HMN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 27, 2009 03:29

Could very well be that R'n'R is played out, exhausted by so much similar activity within its bounds. At least we have some remarkable recordings, thanks given here to the Stones and a few others.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 27, 2009 03:59

MKjan
Could very well be that R'n'R is played out, exhausted by so much similar activity within its bounds. At least we have some remarkable recordings, thanks given here to the Stones and a few others.
Exactly and some to (re) discover alsowinking smiley

HMN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 27, 2009 05:36

Honestman
MKjan
Exactly and some to (re) discover alsowinking smiley

Yes, for me its nice to go back, to search and discover bands and songs that I either didn't listen to or forgot about. More satisfying than the recent and current releases.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: October 27, 2009 14:05

I think this thread has got it backwards. The music is the just a reactive soundtrack to something that's happening in society, the world. The dawn of RnR and Elvis Presley in the '50's grew out of the unleashing of the pent up energy of the first generation of kids to arrive at adolescence and early adult-hood after the end of the War and in a newly affluent (relatively) world. The musicians that make a success of it are the ones who are most finely tuned to it, and most probably living it. The 60's grew out of the next generation needing to distinguish themselves from the previous. The 70's seemed more like an evolution than a revolution. The 80's feel similar to the 60's to me in that the big driver was the kids need to be different from the previous generation. As for the '90's, Nirvana didn't create angry teen angst, but rather responded musically to it - it came to the forefront.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 27, 2009 16:03

Bimmelzerbott
Rock 'n Roll isn't dangerous and mystical anymore. Anything and everything is revealed. There's no secret left. Once it happened it is on YouTube a couple of minutes later, and people dicuss it to death on forums. Times changed drastically in the last 15 years. I don't think that there will be an end for live music anytime soon but the ways you'll be able to consume it are different. You can watch anything anywhere at any time. A rock concert is not a so special event anymore.

Most of us have seen the end of vinyl and cassette tapes, the end of CD's and record shops. And now we are witnessing how it all becomes a lil' bit boring over the time thanks to a certain media overkill and constant availability of anything due to our convenience and endless curiosity.

you nailed it! but i think you can still have fantastic underground concerts. garage rock n roll has still some power and (d)anger.
but if you want the essence of rock n roll you shouldnt go to see big stadium shows. in facts it's disneyland with an audience that gets hiysterical when you smoke a spliff. an audience of people who think wearing a tie with a stones logo is rock n' roll...and they dont even realise that they are (or have become) what rock n rollers, rebels and punks always hated the most: lazy, consuming, conformed, boring people...

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: October 27, 2009 16:07

It's all too easy for music fans of a certain age (me included) to say that evrything's gotten stale and doesn't matter anymore. Try telling that to a 16 year old who's just picked up an electric guitar and started going to gigs.

I sometimes think that music has got a bit safe and predictable, stadium tours, U2 (yawn), Coldplay (yaaawwn) etc. But that's just the mainstream. Dig a little deeper and you'll find loads of mad, off the wall music being made. It's called the underground and it's everywhere. And it's healthier than ever.

Also there is more live music going on now than ever before, that is a fact, certainly in the UK. The scene is buzzing and not just the big venues.

Us over 40's should always be wary of moaning about the state of modern pop, rock, rap or whatever. When we were kids, the oldies were saying exactly the same things about our music!!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 27, 2009 16:09

"Sure, you'll still be able to see live music in clubs or small theatres"

I'd rather that than see a stadium gig that costs a fortune, is crap to see except a video screen and the sounds awful. ANd is full of estate agents who hardly know the act.....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 27, 2009 16:38

U2 is proving that people still want the experience. Even on such a huge note like that. The Stones did it as well with A Bigger Bang but it seems like more people are going to the U2 shows.

And it's certainly getting more hype.

But it's not going away. The big stadium show is not dying. Why people continue to say that is hilarious. It's obviously not going away. Not as long as the Stones and U2 and Bruce are around. After they stop we'll see.

I don't think people are anxiously awaiting a fake show like Britney Spears. Although those same people do like to see Madonna with all of her fakery. But she's also been around a lot longer.

The live experience will always be there. AC/DC's tour has been great. They're adding dates. Drive-By Truckers are seemingly always touring. The Cult are touring. Pearl Jam. Bruce. It's not going to end because of some small little digital listening device that one can put in your pocket. If someone is happy with just listening to albums and not going to see shows that's fine. But people are always gonna want to hear live shows. Because it's loud and it's live. Even if the bands cheat a little. Whether it's backing tapes (Aerosmith and Def Leppard), samples (U2) or someone covering for someone (Stones), people still want to go.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 27, 2009 16:40

Pietro

interesting point and one that can work against rocknroll, too. it's not a very demanding genre - learn a few chords and YOU TOO can be the next rock star of the day. the downside is that it's sometimes tough to find the truly gifted musicians amid the morass of talentless hacks, most of whom are dominating the space owing to something other than their chops or musical prowess...

Date: October 27, 2009 17:05

Threads have a life of their own, and folks are going to talk about what they want to, but if I could just say that the original post is not so much about that live music is dying. Not at all.
But things always move, change and evolve. We now have stadium rock because it grew and evolved to that point. I am just asking what will come next? And I am also theorizing that for the next step it will take one of those mega shake ups, like the ones that seem to happen every 10 years or so.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 27, 2009 17:50

i think we just witness a major change. the one your talking about.
itunes, mp3, youtube, internetbroadcasting....etc...
in fact there hasnt been a bigger change since the invention of records or maybe cd's (at least concerning how music was transmitted and consumed).
stylewise i really think there's not much to discover. we've been everywhere: we've heard the loudest, the fastest, the most quiet, the slowest. we had every possible combination from metalfolk to discopunk, from countrypop to hiphopblues...well anything. so i just think that there will always be good new songs. but a major musical earthquake like punk or rock n' roll is not very likely to happen...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 27, 2009 19:08

With the internet and uploading and downloading, it just means more people have access quicker and immediately.

Actually, maybe it's gotten worse - people are now more concerned with filming everything with their camera or phone and not enjoying the live moment.

Which brings us to what I talk to people about when they tell me 'You're famous, you're on YouTube' or something like that or I'm asked 'Hey did you see what so and so posted of you guys?' No, I gave up looking at all of that shit - I don't have control of that to begin with, it's hardly ever worth watching on top of that and anyone can put something on YouTube.

I do like to see what a band is doing that is good - official or a well done recording - of bands and tours I like and can't see etc. Some of them sound really good, some of them sound terrible. But do there need to be so many? I dunno. No one really needs to 'make' a video anymore - just go play a show and there will be a plethora of videos on YouTube. Or wherever, I don't know of any other video source like that.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 27, 2009 20:53

If there is a major musical change coming along, and if the whole purpose of rock'n'roll or whatever is to be young, angry and rebellious and shock the older generation ( a theory I don't particularly agree with ) then one thing is certain - whatever the new stuff is, most of us on this board are going to HATE it.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 27, 2009 21:09

I think the massive change is INDIE. Anyone can release a recording to a national or international audience via iTunes and the net. MTV videos? You Tube replaced it. Making tons of money selling CDs? Gone. Touring and playing to live audiences is the only sure income stream.

I think we'll see more live music, smaller shows, by more artists...and probably more 2 or 3 act packaged tours to fill bigger places.

I love a lot of new music that I would NEVER have been exposed to under the old radio/record company formulas. Sure there's tons of crap, but there ALWAYS has been.

The only thing I miss is creative CD/LP packaging and liner notes, which you simply cannot find for a lot of releases that are purely online.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: October 27, 2009 22:24

Wanton Witch of the Côte
Me, personally, I love to see music performed live, but will only go if I'm certain to have a decent seat.

Got that right. Stadium rock may well have had its day because, as the other guy said, it's populated mainly by people who don't know the band and 'corporate guests' who stroll in late to the best seats and still wave Zippos in the air. Ian Dury (greatly missed) once ended a concert by saying 'Go home and collect somebody else now please', and it's true that some people go to see a band because they think they should or because their friends will think they are cool. Hence the unfathomable interest in U2.

However, live gigs are a great experience and the rise and rise of tribute bands who sell out small club gigs shows this. Many people now will settle for a reasonable facsimile a few miles from home where they can sing along with the greatest hits.

You have to think that us older ones had the best of it, concert wise. We can also be astonished at the variety and availability of bootleg recordings, which were once extremely hard to get and only affordable to the average guy on cassette.

There's no doubt that, at one time, seeing the Stones and owning Live R was a great and illicit thrill, now it's taken for granted. The thrill is gone.

'You grow up and learn that kinda thing ain't right
But while you were doin't it - it sure felt outta sight....'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home