Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who Got You into The Stones???
Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:23

i was in 8th grade and my brother got the "Hot Rocks" Album i was hooked...
"street Fighting man" the whole 2nd side ......
p.s.. i could not figure out untill later in life why he and his freinds where always eating tons of ice cream!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-03 20:24 by tat2you.

Re: Who Got You in To The Stones???
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:25

One fine morning I turned on a New York station and I couldn't believe what I heard at all. I started dancing to that fine, fine music. My life was saved by Rock and Roll.

And it was all right.

Re: Who Got You into The Stones???
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:45

The young lady at the "membran" record shop, she played "Still Life"
when I was entering. I just wanted to buy "a record". I bought that one.

Posted by: malja316 ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:47

My parents (ages 55 and 51) got me into the Rolling Stones. When I heard the Some Girls, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You albums, I was a fan ever since...I am now 30 years old and even more of a fan now than when I was younger....

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:47

Germen entertainer Harald Schmidt, he sung HTW in a show 2002.
I was 16 or 17 then and ordered 40 lix.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:52

My neighbors, constantly playing some greatest hits compilation everyday after school in 1973 (I was 8). Finally the tunes got stuck in my mind, and i rang on their door, asking what it was. Then I persuaded mom to buy me, I think it was, Hot Rocks or something, and I was hooked for life. Same year the Stones played 2 shows at Scandinavium in my town (Gothenburg), but mom would not let me go...3 years later, at the age of 11, she bought me a ticket to see The Sweet at the same venue. I had to go on the bus back and forth by myself, mom trusted me 100%, and I did not let her down.
Next year, I got free tix for Kiss first swedish appearance (never heard their music, but the show impressed me, although they only played for an hour or so), and Mannfred Man, wich I did not like at all. I since then re-evaluated them smiling smiley
And I always loved Thin Lizzy, whom I met several times, and Purple. But Stones are my number one love, and the Nordic Stones Vikings are made of people of the same breed.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:57

My father played "Paint it black" the minute I had to go to bed (I was ten). The fllowing I couldn't gt rid og the melody in my head. So, when I got home from school I turned the record player on and because I didn't know the name of the song I listened to most of the record. So I did the following weeks until I found out that I was Rolling Stones fan .... and I've been since then (1983).

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: February 3, 2006 21:00

Who? Mick on stage.
I knew NOTHING about the Stones and their music. I just wanted to go to the concert of these legends, I thought it would be worth seing once a life...

Of course, I knew right there my life was changed forever. Just about 2 and half years back.
Oh, I love those people who mark the Stones a "nostalgia act" who has nothing to offer anymore, let alone to new fans. Maybe just memories to older fans... Haha, they're so wrong as you can besmiling smiley

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 3, 2006 21:06

These are some cool stories, mikkijaggeroo and Meise.

For me Stones music was always on the radio when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, but I didn't really get hooked until Some Girls came out and then their subsequent appearance on Saturday Night Live. I also remember Mick's surprise appearance on SNL with Peter Tosh on his song "Walk, But Don't Look Back" around that same time. Some Girls had a very New York atmosphere to it and I was visiting a sister in Manhattan a lot around that same time, so I felt a certain bonding with the Stones and the album (Some Girls). Been hooked ever since.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 3, 2006 21:09

I listened a lot to Dirty Work when I was 5-6 years old. But I didn't really think about the band, The Rolling Stones. I just liked the music, and the photo. I'd heard that "one in the Rolling Stones" died, from my father. So, I thought it was Charlie Watts, as he has his eyes closed on the photo. I felt so sorry for him.
In 1989 there was a "history-of-rock"-TVshow on Norwegian TV, with lots of artists. "Sympathy For The Devil" from Altamont was there. And I was stunned, but I didn't know who it was, there wasn't any "names" on the screen. And in 1990, my father took me and my brother to Oslo for the Urban Jungle show. I had prepared by listening to "Rolled Gold", "Steel Wheels", "Made In The Shade" and "Tattoo You" so I knew 80% of the songs at the concert. Of course, I was hooked ever after.

Posted by: ruby t. ()
Date: February 3, 2006 21:13

America's Top 40 stations, spinnin' stax of wax... I liked "Satisfaction" and "Get Off My Cloud" I loved anything from London in those days, cute little 20-something Macca being my fave, and John Lennon from the Beatles. When I saw a picture of the Stones in American Vogue, I thought what a raggedy bunch of blokes! Then one quiet dark night with only the moonlight streaming in my windows, I woke up hearing "My Sweet Lady Jane..." on the radio, and fell in love right then and there, and have been in love ever since. Who would think that a bunch of raggedy rockers would hook me with their prettiest song?

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: February 3, 2006 21:13

At around 10 (1971) I was always playing my mum's Bill Haley, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Gene Vincent records. Then I was suddenly aware of the Stones around 1973. Listening to them seemed a natural step from my mum's old records.Since then I have bought every Stones record available. Except the one's over £1000. All my record sleeves are displayed in my flat.When I look at the
early sleeves I can still recall that shuddering moment so long ago when I first heard It's only Rock N Roll. I thought this is it. This must be what I've been looking for.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: February 3, 2006 21:15

Radio Luxemburg turned me in in 1965. "Get Off Of My Cloud" was the record. I had already heard, The Last Time, Satisfaction and others, but GOOMC was my nr 1.Stones hit.
That time records use to come here 2-3 months later than UK and US so we heard them on international radio long before we could buy them. and when it was available in shops we already knew about a new one.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: February 3, 2006 21:16

My brother in law has always been a huge Stones fan and he made this Stones' mixed tape back in 1992 and I got hooked since.

Date: February 3, 2006 21:17

the Sweet?? little willy willy??? that was my first ever 45!!!! LOL.....1974??

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: February 3, 2006 21:40

i have been listening stones since my birth.so i learned listening the stones by my parents. every xmas my dad my his red vinyl let it bleed. due the choir on ycagwyw
i called the lp the xmas lp.my parents took me to the first concert 1989 ( age of 8 years). it was the steel wheels tokyo concert.my dad used to work there.followed by those 1990 in munich where we are living.

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: February 3, 2006 21:53

Now I've got a witness from the first album, Mercy Mercy, The last time. Midnight Rambler on Let it bleed. Paint it black - the single. All those were dads albums. Then I got Love you live and that was the real hook for me.

Date: February 3, 2006 21:57

i hate to say this ...after i got "hooked" i shoplifted Exile...YIKES...put it in a newspaper and walked out of the record store......i was a very bad kid......in 10th grade ...a bit better now..

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: February 3, 2006 22:09

Their warhorses...

"Of course, I knew right there my life was changed forever. Just about 2 and half years back.Oh, I love those people who mark the Stones a "nostalgia act" who has nothing to offer anymore, let alone to new fans. Maybe just memories to older fans... Haha, they're so wrong as you can be"

Well said, smilingsun.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 3, 2006 22:13

tat2you Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the Sweet?? little willy willy??? that was
> my first ever 45!!!! LOL.....1974??

Yup, but I did not go for the popstuff, I always liked their hardrock stuff, like Desolation Boulevard.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1504
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home