Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 13 of 17
Re: "Exile" is overrated
Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: June 7, 2015 07:19

GasLightStreet
pricepittsburgh
GasLightStreet
pricepittsburgh
Back again as the one who reactivated this old thread.

I REALLY need to STOP playing Exile on Main St. now. I'm getting REALLY close to believing it's the Stones greatest accomplishment. If nothing else I'm getting close to it becoming my personal favorite. I hate to sound unoriginal but it really is indeed a VIBE album. So much so, that Tumbling Dice almost doesn't fit, and that my just be a reaction to me recognizing it so much from greatest hits packages and radio play. It does fit more nicely when I don't look at it as a single release but it does have a more catchy melody than others. This is of course why Linda Ronstadt covered it. Anyway, Somebody stop me before I sound like one of those Exile people lol

You'll probably find that LIB and SF are better albums. I spent an entire summer listening to EOMS and... came to the conclusion that LIB and SF are better albums. EOMS is awesome, indeed, but it's not... it's certainly their best vibe album. And certainly their deepest delving into genres. But their greatest accomplishment? It certainly is a great accomplishment... way after the fact though.

LIB and SF are their greatest accomplishments, SF possibly more so, as and for the band, with all that had been happening to them. EXILE musically oddly resembles the LP cover - a whackery of taped things together...

Yeah good points. I think SF and LTB as well as BB are probably better in the sense of what we expect from a good album. I was originally underwhelmed by EOMS, probably because I went into it with too high expectations and I was listening to it track for track. Once I just let it play, I started really digging it. Then after a while you can listen to the individual tracks outside of the context of the album, once you know them better. But I wouldn't recommend EOMS as a starting point to any newbie and I'm sure no fan would. Sometimes it's hard, after the fact, to appreciate albums like BB, LIB and SF when they have such recognizable songs on them. We tend to try to base our view of the album on just the songs we haven't heard a bunch over the years. And although those lesser known tracks still help the album, we have to remember that there was a time when the overplayed songs were new and when you consider that, then they are the ones that make the albums classic. Zeppelin has this same problem when someone is trying to appreciate Zep IV. They don't want to listen to Black Dog, Rock and Roll or Stairway, lol, but they have to consider those songs as once being fresh along with the other songs.

I loathed Stairway To Heaven for years... then when I got CELEBRATION DAY it took on a whole new life. Now listening to LED ZEPPELIN 4 I love listening to STH. Black Dog and Rock'N'Roll have always been awesome.

It's funny you said that because all though I still loved Stairway all these years later. I was sleeping with my headphones on recently while listening to Celebration Day/02 concert, and as I nodded off, that version of Stairway sounded really great. I think it's because Plant's voice is older than all the other live renditions or the studio version. That's the case on all the Celebration Day songs but those mostly cl for him to nail them with a younger voice. But not Stairway. It's almost as if for once, his aged voice fit better on a Zep classic, and ironically their most classic track.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 7, 2015 16:34

rootsman
Well it IS a great album, but, yes, perhaps a bit overrated...

For me, the Big Four comes in this order:
1. Sticky Fingers
2. Let it Bleed
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Exile On Main Street

See also: [www.iorr.org]

That's my ranking too.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 7, 2015 16:56

Exile overrated.....not really, but Goats, Only, and Black are underrated.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 7, 2015 18:18

Exile overrated? Sure. Just like puppies, sunsets, and oral sex.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 7, 2015 23:21

Exile is the least pop sounding of their albums. It has this combination of authenticity and maturity I don't hear on any other of them. I Guess its there on parts of albums they had done before and after, but not from start to finish.

Beggars Banquet - Sticky Fingers was maybe more experimental, more adventurous. There's something to be said for that too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-07 23:25 by ryanpow.

Date: June 8, 2015 00:39

There are a certainly tacks on SF that fit the feel of EOMS. That's probably why SF is in one sense, their best, because it sort of nail in one album everything that they were doing so well, both before SF with BB and LIB and after with EOMS.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 8, 2015 00:56

That's because songs on EOMS are from the SF sessions...

Date: June 28, 2015 03:01

I hate to keep reactivating this thread bu I'm now leaning towards EOMS as maybe being the best Rock album ever recorded, as as I've said before, I'm a Beatles, Who and Zeppelin guy too.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 28, 2015 03:09

pricepittsburgh
I hate to keep reactivating this thread bu I'm now leaning towards EOMS as maybe being the best Rock album ever recorded, as as I've said before, I'm a Beatles, Who and Zeppelin guy too.

We know.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 28, 2015 03:12

pricepittsburgh

I put Exile as my #1 Stones album ... but as much as I love the Stones more than any others, I actually think I like both The Beatles (White Album) and Quadrophenia more than Exile.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 28, 2015 03:18

LeonidP
pricepittsburgh

I put Exile as my #1 Stones album ... but as much as I love the Stones more than any others, I actually think I like both The Beatles (White Album) and Quadrophenia more than Exile.

But the lesson of this thread is that if you keep listening to it ...

Date: June 28, 2015 03:23

LeonidP
pricepittsburgh

I've been digging it now for about a month so the new aspect is still there but instead of wearing off some, it's getting stronger. Each individual song is still taking on new significance to me. So I need to give it a few months I guess before I can see clearly lol.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 28, 2015 12:42

Just picked up on this thread. Don't think its over rated. To the average joe its underated. Think of all the well known double albums from rock bands over the years , exile don't come to mind instantly. To a casual stones fan I still think its underated. Although I except its arguably the stones master piece , I still find myself playing let it bleed, sticky fingers and totoo you more often. When i think about it, its actually the album I was a tad underwhelmed with when I got it. Agreed its the most infuential album in rock ever. But it took me a few months before I got hooked. I must add although I think its underated I personaly don't underate it. Its pure rock and roll at its best . Period.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: June 28, 2015 14:02

In the summer of 1972 my little time travellers, let's go back and see how many times the radio blasted out Tumbling Dice, we'll take you back to when music had a FEELING, let's meet last Thursday at the regular cafe, 7:20pm right, let's go back!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-28 14:05 by midimannz.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 28, 2015 14:10

Being lonely is over rated .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tauk ()
Date: June 28, 2015 14:20

Rockman
Being lonely is over rated .....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
rockeeee, so is bein' rich........ at least that's what i hear)cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-28 14:22 by tauk.

Posted by: Lipsgogreen ()
Date: June 28, 2015 15:17

Of all the things that can be the worst thing for a person, having money can be the absolute root of all evil. It ain't what its cracked up to be.

That being said. Never having to worry about finances is very stress relieving.
It is not a panacea. I would give every cent I have, if my mother did not have dementia. It got all my moxy from her. No amount of money can buy me back my mother. I am happy that she is physically healthy. I dance around all day with her, while I am listening to the Stones. She laughs every time she catches me air guitaring.

Listening to EOMS now. The last month or so I have been listening to it at least once a day. It is sooooooooooo good. And the more you listen to it the better it gets. Almost every time. I had a "bout" with EOMS in 2000. This was right around the time of my son's birth. I listened to it at least 3-4 times a
day. I am starting to like it better than in 2000.

Overrated? NO F-ING WAY!!!!!!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 28, 2015 15:47

My most proud moment in the past few months was on the long drive to Pittsburgh - traveling through the mountains, listening to Stones albums the whole way. I think I had on Grrr, or another compilation, and my son says, "put on Exile, Mom, there's what I always want to hear when I feel like I'm getting tired of the Stones." That's the way it is for me too...the album never gets old, there's just so much there to LISTEN too and to tap into, whatever your mood.

Posted by: Lipsgogreen ()
Date: June 28, 2015 15:55

I was driving through the mountains on the way to Nashville. It was awesome. I had not DRIVEN through the mountains in about 20 years. I usually fly to Stones shows. I mostly live in Florida. It is completely flat in South Florida.
The only hills are highway overpasses and causeways.

I now have Spotify (thanks DP) and of course I listened to Exile going through the mountains. One of the highlights of the Nashville Stones experience.

PIB

TIM

Date: June 28, 2015 16:03

Lipsgogreen
Of all the things that can be the worst thing for a person, having money can be the absolute root of all evil. It ain't what its cracked up to be.

That being said. Never having to worry about finances is very stress relieving.
It is not a panacea. I would give every cent I have, if my mother did not have dementia. It got all my moxy from her. No amount of money can buy me back my mother. I am happy that she is physically healthy. I dance around all day with her, while I am listening to the Stones. She laughs every time she catches me air guitaring.

Listening to EOMS now. The last month or so I have been listening to it at least once a day. It is sooooooooooo good. And the more you listen to it the better it gets. Almost every time. I had a "bout" with EOMS in 2000. This was right around the time of my son's birth. I listened to it at least 3-4 times a
day. I am starting to like it better than in 2000.

Overrated? NO F-ING WAY!!!!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
TIM, SHE'S LUCKY TO HAVE YOU.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 28, 2015 16:52

The reason why I would say Exile is not overrated, is because it gets better every time I listen to it.

With that said, my point is I don't even know how good it actually is yet, so I can't tell whether or not I'll overrate it.

Date: June 28, 2015 18:16

treaclefingers
The reason why I would say Exile is not overrated, is because it gets better every time I listen to it.

With that said, my point is I don't even know how good it actually is yet, so I can't tell whether or not I'll overrate it.

its funny. i get bored with other bands so easily, i have always wondered what it is about the stones music ( live also ) that no matter how many times you play them, especially there best period 67' to 81' you never feel like you can quite completely consume them. its hard to explain lol.

Date: June 28, 2015 18:26

keefriffhards

its funny. i get bored with other bands so easily, i have always wondered what it is about the stones music ( live also ) that no matter how many times you play them, especially there best period 67' to 81' you never feel like you can quite completely consume them. its hard to explain lol.

TO keefriffhards: I've found the same thing to be true for me. I keep expecting this now 7-8 month jag to get boring but every single night I choose the Stones .....it's weird almost.

Date: June 28, 2015 22:11

tauk
keefriffhards

TO keefriffhards: I've found the same thing to be true for me. I keep expecting this now 7-8 month jag to get boring but every single night I choose the Stones .....it's weird almost.

yeah watching the live links on iorr as they play, then waiting for the you tube clips to come out. its a buzz. my wife thinks its childish lol.
i really think they are getting better all the time . is it me or are there not so many you tube posts of the shows this year. europe and australia had tons..

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 28, 2015 22:25

keefriffhards
tauk
keefriffhards

yeah watching the live links on iorr as they play, then waiting for the you tube clips to come out. its a buzz. my wife thinks its childish lol.
i really think they are getting better all the time . is it me or are there not so many you tube posts of the shows this year. europe and australia had tons..

I think the You Tube videos will continue to appear for this tour too. People need time to digest and upload their best ones. Besides, like looking at a photograph, it is much more satisfying the longer the time between when the video was taken and when you watch it. Nothing quite compares to the real world experience.

Date: June 28, 2015 23:51

Naturalust
keefriffhards
tauk
keefriffhards

I think the You Tube videos will continue to appear for this tour too. People need time to digest and upload their best ones. Besides, like looking at a photograph, it is much more satisfying the longer the time between when the video was taken and when you watch it. Nothing quite compares to the real world experience.

yes, maybe the north of America are a little more laid back. I seem to remember shows last year, with the complete set list in good quality, put in their played sequence within a few days of the event.

I was wondering, is their any way of saving live periscope feeds ?? thanks Naturalust

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:18

keefriffhards
yes, maybe the north of America are a little more laid back. I seem to remember shows last year, with the complete set list in good quality, put in their played sequence within a few days of the event.

I was wondering, is their any way of saving live periscope feeds ?? thanks Naturalust

Of course we are more laid back, half the population is on medical marijuana! grinning smiley

I know the periscope broadcasters can save the videos to a phone camera roll so at least they have an option in periscope to do so.

I'd bet there will be new software apps soon that can capture and convert the feeds to standard video formats. Perhaps VideoJames or flacvinyl will know more about details. Here is a link to a guy who is doing it with Emu4iOS and Shou.

[medium.com]

Date: June 29, 2015 00:41

Naturalust
keefriffhards

Of course we are more laid back, half the population is on medical marijuana! grinning smiley

I know the periscope broadcasters can save the videos to a phone camera roll so at least they have an option in periscope to do so.

I'd bet there will be new software apps soon that can capture and convert the feeds to standard video formats. Perhaps VideoJames or flacvinyl will know more about details. Here is a link to a guy who is doing it with Emu4iOS and Shou.

[medium.com]

cheers will try the links out.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2015 01:48

It is without a doubt one of their greatest LPs.

It is without a doubt a great album - and a double album at that.

But... it is a double album and no band has ever had a flawless double album. EXILE's a tad long. It has three tunes that could've been left off (Shake Your Hips, I Just Want To See His Face, Sweet Black Angel). And back then it would've made it equivalent to how some albums are now - 15 tracks long - which is still too long.

So take off a couple of other tracks, perhaps Stop Breaking Down and... Let It Loose and PERHAPS you would have THE greatest Stones LP ever. With that it still doesn't have that killer track like Gimme Shelter or Brown Sugar or Street Fighting Man or Can't You Hear Me Knocking or Monkey Man or, dare I say it, Sympathy For The Devil.

So, based on that kind of credential, it just can't be their greatest LP ever. That's a tie with LET IT BLEED (even without Honky Tonk Women on it) and STICKY FINGERS, with SF getting the nod in this camp. And third best? TATTOO YOU. But that's where I stand with The Rolling Stones. I think TATTOO YOU is that good. Better than BEGGARS and better than SOME GIRLS.

And when you consider tracks that made EXILE that were done for BEGGARS, LIB and SF, well, that's part of the mentality that allows the breaking up of the sequencing of EXILE so able.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 30, 2015 01:57

GasLightStreet
But... it is a double album and no band has ever had a flawless double album...

Not sure about that. Exile is one, for me. The others I mentioned, White Album and Quadophenia as well. Ones I haven't mentioned ... Clash, London Calling -- No flaws on that one. U2, Rattle & Hum.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 13 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1523
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home