Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 17
Re: "Exile" is overrated
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 14, 2009 16:55

Loving Cup? Just another noisey song without further meaning...Hey, Ziggy Stardust is from 1972..that record really grabbed my ears also...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: October 14, 2009 17:01

...I'd say that "Sticky Fingers" is únderrated compared to "Exile";
both being from the exact same era.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 14, 2009 17:20

Not this again!

Exile is perfect…and has been etched in stone as such for 37 years. I have always thought of it as a concept album, with “Main Street” being a metaphor for America. Every song fits that agenda and the sequencing is perfect for an entertaining journey through musical Americana.

In addition to the classic Stones rockers (which are an amalgamation of American musical styles) there is gospel (Shine a Light, Just Wanna See His Face), country (Sweet Virginia, Torn & Frayed, Loving Cup), amped up bluegrass (Turd On The Run) even traditional blues tunes by Robert Johnson and Slim Harpo.

Even the themes of several songs, such as name-checking American cities and ‘Dick & Pat” in Rip This Joint, Sweet Black Angel about Angela Davis, Tumbling Dice – Vegas, etc; all contribute to the best “Americana” album of all time.

Then there is the execution. Mick and Keith are in perfect voice and the best lineup of the band is clicking on all cylinders. Nicky Hopkins is amazing. The arrangements which seemed kind of thick and clunky at first give way to the discovery of countless great riffs and licks buried in the mix. I still discover little nuances (or re-discover ones I forgot!) after nearly forty years of listening to this.

IMO Exile is an unequalled masterpiece. This is the one album in The Stones catalog that is not the least bit diminished by over familiarity to these ears.

Music doesn’t get any more thrilling than Exile On Main Street. No amount of tweaking could make it better.

Ross

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 14, 2009 17:22

Ross
Not this again!

Exile is perfect…and has been etched in stone as such for 37 years. I have always thought of it as a concept album, with “Main Street” being a metaphor for America. Every song fits that agenda and the sequencing is perfect for an entertaining journey through musical Americana.

In addition to the classic Stones rockers (which are an amalgamation of American musical styles) there is gospel (Shine a Light, Just Wanna See His Face), country (Sweet Virginia, Torn & Frayed, Loving Cup), amped up bluegrass (Turd On The Run) even traditional blues tunes by Robert Johnson and Slim Harpo.

Even the themes of several songs, such as name-checking American cities and ‘Dick & Pat” in Rip This Joint, Sweet Black Angel about Angela Davis, Tumbling Dice – Vegas, etc; all contribute to the best “Americana” album of all time.

Then there is the execution. Mick and Keith are in perfect voice and the best lineup of the band is clicking on all cylinders. Nicky Hopkins is amazing. The arrangements which seemed kind of thick and clunky at first give way to the discovery of countless great riffs and licks buried in the mix. I still discover little nuances (or re-discover ones I forgot!) after nearly forty years of listening to this.

IMO Exile is an unequalled masterpiece. This is the one album in The Stones catalog that is not the least bit diminished by over familiarity to these ears.

Music doesn’t get any more thrilling than Exile On Main Street. No amount of tweaking could make it better.

Ross

AMEN, thank you!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 14, 2009 18:48

Thanks Ross for the beautiful review. Outstanding!!

L.O.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 14, 2009 18:51

I agree with Ross. Anyway, with "Exile", you either get it or you don't. it took me a few rotations for me to like it, but once I got hooked, oh man...

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 14, 2009 19:46

Come On
I thought it was 'Astral Weeks' by Van the Man but what the f...

...in which case, you're beyond help.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 14, 2009 19:52

Chris Fountain
When it pops up on Exile, I feel like we suddenly take a detour through some Louisiana Bayou fever swamp.

Great Description.

L.O.

(JWSHF)

Thanks! 'Just Want To See His Face' is such a cool sounding song. It sounds distant at first, but then gets louder, or closer, like we, the listeners, are journeying up that Louisiana Bayou Swamp to slowly start to see and hear some exotic campfire voodoo jam session occurring.

Date: October 14, 2009 20:15

Thanks! 'Just Want To See His Face' is such a cool sounding song. It sounds distant at first, but then gets louder, or closer, like we, the listeners, are journeying up that Louisiana Bayou Swamp to slowly start to see and hear some exotic campfire voodoo jam session occurring.

A very mystical sounding song. Percussion and background vocals lead you through a swamp into the campfire.

L.O.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-14 20:52 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 15, 2009 02:29

I just listened to it -it's overrated.

I insist they all return their OBE's now -including that prat named Jones.

Mathijs

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 15, 2009 05:49

Chris Fountain

A very mystical sounding song. Percussion and background vocals lead you through a swamp into the campfire.

L.O.

Yeah. I need to dig it out and listen to it again. The distant sounding beginning is different from a traditional song; i.e., intro>verse>verse>choir>lead guitar>verse>verse>choir>outro-end. It is almost like a snippet, or audio snapshot, of a larger whole of which we don't get to hear the whole thing, but, rather, we get to hear just a a quick piece of it as we pass by and then it fades away behind us. . ..

Date: October 15, 2009 09:14

For you're comfort I can tell you that 'London Calling' and ' Electric Ladyland' also is ovarrated double-albums...not many gems on them either..

I know that Exile,Calling and Ladyland is Rockhistory but that's one another thing...Trout Mask Replica that's one underrated album...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 15, 2009 12:11

I agree that Trout Mask Replica is a very underrated gem!!!
But I totally disagree with your about ELL and LC being overrated!!! NO WAY! Classic albums with a great variety of styles and cohesion.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: October 15, 2009 16:33

I reckon "Rocks off" is a killer intro - behind BS and SMU it's the best I think they ever did intro wise. I think it would have faired very well had it been the kick off single.

I also agree however that Exile is greater in its entirety. From start to finish it is simply magnificent. I hear no filler and if there is filler it's filler that most bands would have traded their left nuts to have at the time. Even now rock bands would envy songs on there wishing that they were in their bag of tricks instead of the Stones.

And Come On - you are strange. Do you even like the Stones?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 15, 2009 17:03

Greatest album in the history of rock music. No fluff or filler. Filled with atmosphere - it still sounds great and relevant. If it was released yesterday, it would fit in today.

Lots of other music from that era sounds like it is from that era. Exiles, with it's rougher edges, booziness, darkness, and all the other adjectives you could ever muster, is brilliant. I'm not sure how the remaster will be. I fear they may ruin it by cleaning it up.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 16, 2009 01:43

Ross - Great review!!! The album is a masterwork!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 16, 2009 01:47

Its as close to perfect as its possible to get.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 16, 2009 02:52

Gazza
That's it. End of thread.thumbs up

Date: October 16, 2009 13:50

squando
I reckon "Rocks off" is a killer intro - behind BS and SMU it's the best I think they ever did intro wise. I think it would have faired very well had it been the kick off single.

I also agree however that Exile is greater in its entirety. From start to finish it is simply magnificent. I hear no filler and if there is filler it's filler that most bands would have traded their left nuts to have at the time. Even now rock bands would envy songs on there wishing that they were in their bag of tricks instead of the Stones.

And Come On - you are strange. Do you even like the Stones?

Oh yeah squando, since autumn 1964, and that's probably why I dare to be stright objective to their music wether it belongs on 'Out of our heads' 'Exile on main street' or 'A bigger bang'..

2 1 2 0

Date: October 16, 2009 16:17

All cool dude I'm just so surprised that such a hard core fan would be basically so down on an album such as this. I agree that Revolver is a masterpiece. Just weird how different tastes are different tastes.....I guess.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 18, 2009 04:58

Gazza
No doubt 'bout it.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: October 18, 2009 06:46

Baboon Bro
Gazza
No doubt 'bout it.

what?? eh?

Date: October 18, 2009 11:19

Along with "Abbey road" I think it's also as close to perfect as an album can get. So therefore given I can think of no other album better than it I guess in my opionion it is perfect after all.

Not as well produced as LIB or SF but overall its mix and production is a large part of its greatness for me. And man to rip this out after BB, LIB and SF (along with arguably the greatest live album of all time also during this period), it should have been a no surprise had they made "Dirty work" then.

Date: October 19, 2009 09:16

Mick Jagger speaks:

"In 2003, Jagger said, "Exile... is not one of my favourite albums, although I think the record does have a particular feeling. I'm not too sure how great the songs are, but put together it's a nice piece. However, when I listen to Exile it has some of the worst mixes I've ever heard. I'd love to remix the record, not just because of the vocals, but because generally I think it sounds lousy. At the time Jimmy Miller was not functioning properly. I had to finish the whole record myself, because otherwise there were just these drunks and junkies... Of course I'm ultimately responsible for it, but it's really not good and there's no concerted effort or intention."
"Jagger also stated he didn't understand the praise amongst Rolling Stones' fans because the album did not yield very many "hits".

smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: October 19, 2009 11:26

Yeah that's fine. That's his opinion. He reckons "She's the boss" is really good too....

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 20, 2009 00:09

For me, EXILE defines the Stones, in all of their sheer raw energy, gritty, honest and full tilt rock with a perfect blend of blues. This album matches up and surpasses most if not all albums in it's time. Even now for that matter....simply blows my mind at every listen.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 20, 2009 00:25

Ross
Not this again!

Ross

Lovin' this Rocker! ty. saved me writin a post that wouldn't have summed it up a tenth as good as this...sublime. correctomundo. on targetto...me lovin' it R...
;-)

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: October 20, 2009 07:21

****Official Statement****

I'm delaying the official determination on whether Sticky Fingers or Exile is the Stones best until after I have the Deluxe Exile.

Date: October 20, 2009 11:09

How will Deluxe Exile be any different from the original version? Remastering seems like a scam.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 20, 2009 11:46

I'm sure Mick's appreciation of Exile is diminished by the circumstances surrounding its creation. I'm just reading Robert Greenfield's excellent book Exile On Main Street - A Season In Hell With The Rolling Stones and it's a miracle it ever got finished. Mick didn't have a very good time, getting married inbetween recording and having to deal with Bianca's reluctance to be part of the whole Nellcote scene, Keith's descent in junkjiedom and the arrival of Gram as Keith's new music (and drug) buddy.

Mick is unfortunately the perfectionist in the band who doesn't like any rough edges and I guess the whole thing sounds to thin for him.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home