Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Dandelion
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2012 01:17

24FPS
His Majesty
It's a soprano saxophone, Brian also played one on The Beatles track You Know My Name(look up the number), and later on Child of the Moon, probably on Citadel(the fast descending sax line) too.

I heard it again yesterday and again today. I went to YouTube and found as much as I could on Soprano Saxophones. They all sounded in a higher register than instruments found on Dandelion. In fact they sound like clarinets. The saxophone on You Know My Name sounds like a saxophone. Wikipedia lists Brian as playing maracas, oboe, and saxophone. My point is that I was marvelling over what I think is an oboe in the song in the middle and at the end. It is very expressive and well played. I thought they'd brought in a professional. If that is Brian playing, then his part has been overlooked. It's along that melodic line of Ruby Tuesday, but it's actually whimsical and in the end pastoral.

It's Brian playing a soprano saxophone on both Dandelion and You Know My Name.

There's no oboe on Dandelion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-11 01:23 by His Majesty.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 11, 2012 01:31

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-07 03:13 by schillid.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 11, 2012 01:43

schillid

Thanks for sharing schillid, never seen that one before, did you put it together yourself? Where did the footage come from?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 11, 2012 02:26

All right. So, at 2:04 and 3:03 Brian Jones makes a soprano saxophone mimic the sounds of an oboe or a bass clarinet. Still brilliant no matter how he did it.

And in the video that's the first time I've seen Keith wearing what I always assumed was Mick's jacket.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: August 11, 2012 04:42

Like it!

Date: August 11, 2012 11:08

24FPS
All right. So, at 2:04 and 3:03 Brian Jones makes a soprano saxophone mimic the sounds of an oboe or a bass clarinet. Still brilliant no matter how he did it.

And in the video that's the first time I've seen Keith wearing what I always assumed was Mick's jacket.

No, it's just the sound of a soprano saxophone. grinning smiley

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 11, 2012 23:01

Great song. Would have fit in well on SMR.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 12, 2012 06:01

latebloomer
never seen that one before... Where did the footage come from?

Don't know where the footage is from

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 12, 2012 08:38

latebloomer
schillid

Thanks for sharing schillid, never seen that one before, did you put it together yourself? Where did the footage come from?

The footage is part of the video shoot for the We Love You courtroom scene - Marianne is in costume and Keith wears the same shirt he wears with his "judge's" outfit. The shot of Mick staring hard into the camera appears in black and white right at the start of this video:

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 12, 2012 16:02

This song is great! Charlie's drumming propels this song and the whole groove just sounds son whimsical and takes you back to innocence. I have listened to Dandelion a lot lately and its one of my favorite tracks of that era. I also read one post about the outake where Keith is playing one of the chugging riffs. I'm glad that the Stones did not use it but it revealed to me where Keith wanted to take the band even in 1966 I thought that Keith started that in 68-69 but was wrong and there are other examples such as Miss Amanda Jones. But Dandelion is great!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 12, 2012 18:51

Green Lady
latebloomer
schillid

The footage is part of the video shoot for the We Love You courtroom scene - Marianne is in costume and Keith wears the same shirt he wears with his "judge's" outfit. The shot of Mick staring hard into the camera appears in black and white right at the start of this video:

Thank you Green Lady for the information, and thanks too for the We Love You video. I've seen snippets from that video before, never realized thats where it came from. They must be a color version somewhere. It has the famous shot of Brian looking very drugged out.

Date: August 14, 2012 14:09

Needless to say, Dandelion is a classic! thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 14, 2012 15:06

I know Brian trippled his increase of downers after Anita but he must have been on heroin at some point. Pills I mean. Dilaudid?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 15:10 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: November 6, 2015 12:47

I love this early take with Keith on vocals. He had the song down, more or less, minus the lyrics. Love it! thumbs up

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: November 6, 2015 14:39

DandelionPowderman
I love this early take with Keith on vocals. He had the song down, more or less, minus the lyrics. Love it! thumbs up

[www.youtube.com]

What a find! Wasn't born at that point but if I could go back in time and meet Keith just once it would be that unjaded era when his heart & soul were relatively drug free and he was becoming a God.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 6, 2015 15:28

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

That's cool. I love hearing that kind of work.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 6, 2015 16:31

Wow. Great find!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 6, 2015 16:40

Love it, but of course I'm a Keithette!! (and a Jaggerist on the side)

Is there enough material like this from the 60's to put out an official ottars disc or two?

Date: November 6, 2015 16:42

The Satanic Sessions (131 tracks/snippets) and Between The Buttons Sessions (19 tracks) have lots of takes of the released and unreleased stuff thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-06 16:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 6, 2015 23:22

Dandelion is stellar - completely original and unique.

(and I'm referring to the tune, not DandelionPowderman) cool smiley

A soundscape of brilliance that captures beautifully the period in which it was recorded.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 9, 2015 00:04

Great b-side! If I recall correctly, Keith's daughter was named Dandelion, at some point (possibly changed later?) ... so I always assumed this was written about his daughter.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 9, 2015 12:22

Always liked it a lot. Should have been on TSMR. It would be very nice if they would play it in concerts. I know they never will, but it would be a nice surprise and properly reworked for the stage it would work pretty well.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 9, 2015 14:55

HMS
Always liked it a lot. Should have been on TSMR. It would be very nice if they would play it in concerts. I know they never will, but it would be a nice surprise and properly reworked for the stage it would work pretty well.

Maybe they save it for the 2017 tour..would be an other 50 anniversary........ if if they play it they also can add We Love You......

Date: November 9, 2015 15:54

NICOS

Maybe they save it for the 2017 tour..would be an other 50 anniversary........ if if they play it they also can add We Love You......

That'd be awful without the harmonies and MKII mellotron.

Date: November 9, 2015 16:02

His Majesty
NICOS

Keith and Ronnie will do the harmonies, and Matt has the sequencer down already. Will be great thumbs up winking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 9, 2015 16:12

LeonidP
Great b-side! If I recall correctly, Keith's daughter was named Dandelion, at some point (possibly changed later?)
... so I always assumed this was written about his daughter.

Dandelion Angela was born in 1972, and Keith wrote Angie for her - not the words, obviously! :E
She did indeed change her name and once threatened to hurt anyone who tries calling her Dandelion :E

Date: November 9, 2015 16:13

with sssoul
LeonidP
Great b-side! If I recall correctly, Keith's daughter was named Dandelion, at some point (possibly changed later?)
... so I always assumed this was written about his daughter.

Dandelion Angela was born in 1972, and Keith wrote Angie for her - not the words, obviously! :E
She did indeed change her name and once threatened to hurt anyone who tries calling her Dandelion :E

The blade?

Date: November 9, 2015 16:50

DandelionPowderman

Keith and Ronnie will do the harmonies, and Matt has the sequencer down already. Will be great thumbs up winking smiley

Vomit.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 9, 2015 16:54

His Majesty
NICOS

They still can invite Paul to join....

Date: November 9, 2015 17:07

NICOS

They still can invite Paul to join....

His voice is shot.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1271
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home