Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Dandelion
Date: October 21, 2009 03:00

with sssoul
>> doesnt Dandelion also feature Lennon & McCartney contributing some backing vocals ? <<

yep. and [www.timeisonourside.com] has Stu on organ, not Bill:

Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Bill Wyman
Acoustic guitar: Keith Richards
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger
Background vocals: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, John Lennon & Paul McCartney
Harpsichord: Brian Jones or Nicky Hopkins
Organ: Ian Stewart
Maracas: Brian Jones
Saxophone: Brian Jones

To me the b/v on this one always sounded much more Lennon-Maccaish than We Love You, which is the one that the scholars guarantee that HAVE John and Paul. I´ve seen many places that say that Dandelion doesn´t have their b/v´s
And also I´ve always found it much better than WLY, which is already itself a great track,. musically and also for the whole 'Butterfly on a wheel' incident and stuff.
Dandelion is the proof of Beatles and Stones retro-feeding themselves as motors of the 60´s music revolution (yes, it´s that old to talk about it but it´s that true).
To tell you the truth I tend to hear it twice or more evrytime I pick a CD that´s got it.
Also one of my 3 Stones requests on line back when they started to ask for it.
The 2 others?
100 years ago and Down the road apiece.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-21 03:05 by Gibson Fender-Nanker.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 21, 2009 03:10

This is for sure one of my favorite early stones songs. That instrumental bridge is just a pure perfection.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 21, 2009 16:08

Gibson Fender-Nanker
with sssoul
>> doesnt Dandelion also feature Lennon & McCartney contributing some backing vocals ? <<

yep. and [www.timeisonourside.com] has Stu on organ, not Bill:

Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Bill Wyman
Acoustic guitar: Keith Richards
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger
Background vocals: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, John Lennon & Paul McCartney
Harpsichord: Brian Jones or Nicky Hopkins
Organ: Ian Stewart
Maracas: Brian Jones
Saxophone: Brian Jones

To me the b/v on this one always sounded much more Lennon-Maccaish than We Love You, which is the one that the scholars guarantee that HAVE John and Paul. I´ve seen many places that say that Dandelion doesn´t have their b/v´s.

McCartney's voice can be heard very clearly on Dandelion, but I have read various sources claiming that Lennon does NOT sing on that track.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 21, 2009 16:21

very underrated!!! beautiful track!

Date: October 21, 2009 16:23

<McCartney's voice can be heard very clearly on Dandelion, but I have read various sources claiming that Lennon does NOT sing on that track.>

I hear Lennon clearly, but Mc Cartney is more buried in the mix. Same with We Love You.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 21, 2009 17:18

Just get Mickboy Presents: Their Satanic Majesties Request. It has stereo versions on the re structured album. Bonus tracks include 45 MONO mixes of both Dandelion and We Love You and and a Background vocal isolation track of We Love You.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 21, 2009 17:39

Beautiful song! Wonderful colorful feel to it, full of good vibes. This is why it can be so frustrating when people don't get the fact that The Beatles and The Stones were friends and were inspired by each other. Would have been great to be in the studio for this one!!!!! Lots of smoke.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 21, 2009 17:47

It's amazing to me that it didn't make the album. It's better than a B-side. But it also doesn't fit. Great song.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 22, 2009 00:35

It's one of those Stones songs that tends to get overlooked by fans and of course the band themselves, but also one that other bands would have built their careers on.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 18, 2009 03:01

I always thought Satanic would have been such a better album if they had left off STAT (See What Happens) and put on We Love You and Dandelion instead!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-18 03:02 by 71Tele.

Posted by: nanker's phelge ()
Date: November 18, 2009 03:28

soooooo good
this and shes a rainbow

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 20, 2009 23:44

71Tele
I always thought Satanic would have been such a better album if they had left off STAT (See What Happens) and put on We Love You and Dandelion instead!

I think I am going to shoot the next person that says this!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 21, 2009 00:04

Shoot me I will add Ruby Tuesday and Chil Of The Moon

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 19, 2010 15:03

A lovely and trippy song, would have fit nicely on TSMR. Wonderful lyrics, great harmonies (with a nod to the Beach Boys), and Brian's harpsichord is beautiful. An overlooked gem that magically transports me back to the Summer of Love (although I was 9 months old at the time! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

Drew

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 19, 2010 20:01

drewmaster
A lovely and trippy song, would have fit nicely on TSMR. Wonderful lyrics, great harmonies (with a nod to the Beach Boys), and Brian's harpsichord is beautiful. An overlooked gem that magically transports me back to the Summer of Love (although I was 9 months old at the time! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

Drew

better than "Connection," eh Drew?

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 19, 2010 20:23

Great pop song. A hit in the UK. Could have been written by Ray Davies as it seems to me a Kinks decadent inspiration tune. I hesitated btw this one and She's a Rainbow as a ring tune. Chose the latter. Reminds me of the innocent " A nous les petites anglaises" old days.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 19, 2010 20:55

Man, Dandelion shows you could take that Wyman/Watts rhythm section anywhere.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 19, 2010 21:19

cc
drewmaster

Drew

better than "Connection," eh Drew?

T'is much sweeter to my ears, cc! smileys with beer

Drew

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 20, 2010 00:14

A classic. Play it live.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 20, 2010 04:11

What a lovely song, the sax at the end is beautiful, one of Brian's great moments.
It might be an oboe though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-20 04:36 by stones78.

Date: September 20, 2010 06:25

It sounds like an oboe, but is it a mellotron?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 20, 2010 08:07

It's a soprano saxophone, Brian also played one on The Beatles track You Know My Name(look up the number), and later on Child of the Moon, probably on Citadel(the fast descending sax line) too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-20 09:34 by His Majesty.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 20, 2010 08:14

Fantastic groove by Charlie. I love that heavy thumping style he was doing back then.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 20, 2010 09:31

skipstone
Fantastic groove by Charlie. I love that heavy thumping style he was doing back then.

yeah, me too--what happened to that?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 30, 2011 21:33

Definitely in my all time favourite RS top 10!

Nice video here:

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: August 30, 2011 23:38

the song that bridges the britpop of BTB to the psychedelia of TSMR.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 31, 2011 00:56

big4

Yes, I guess it does.

Likewise 'Child Of The Moon' bridges TSMR & BB.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: August 31, 2011 01:17

Sleepy City
big4

Yes, I guess it does.

Likewise 'Child Of The Moon' bridges TSMR & BB.

I agree it does.

Date: August 10, 2012 23:36

His Majesty
It's a soprano saxophone, Brian also played one on The Beatles track You Know My Name(look up the number), and later on Child of the Moon, probably on Citadel(the fast descending sax line) too.

I heard it again yesterday and again today. I went to YouTube and found as much as I could on Soprano Saxophones. They all sounded in a higher register than instruments found on Dandelion. In fact they sound like clarinets. The saxophone on You Know My Name sounds like a saxophone. Wikipedia lists Brian as playing maracas, oboe, and saxophone. My point is that I was marvelling over what I think is an oboe in the song in the middle and at the end. It is very expressive and well played. I thought they'd brought in a professional. If that is Brian playing, then his part has been overlooked. It's along that melodic line of Ruby Tuesday, but it's actually whimsical and in the end pastoral.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 10, 2012 23:51

I always liked the drums on this track--in fact, I'd say the drums really carry the song, especially on the outro, in much the way Ringo lent his stamp to the Beatles' song Rain, just propelling a great melody along. That outro, where Charlie's drums are put on reverb as the song title is repeated, that's where the drums become the lead instrument of the track as it winds down, accentuating the summery sunshine and pleasant warm laziness inherent in the simple joy of dandelions. True, it was a trendy nod to flower power sentiments of the time, but there is something timeless about the song's childlike whimsical nature--along with She's A Rainbow, Dandelion is always my favorite 1967 Stones track.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1290
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home