Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: When did The Rolling Stones really start....
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 12, 2009 10:44

The use of the word "with" before the name of Mick Jagger on vocals is also telling something
about Brians interpretation of Micks roll in the band, isn't it?

Maybe that helped the headline Mick Jagger and the Rollin' Stones to come in the advertisement.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 12, 2009 22:04

[ :E don't mind me - have some popcorn :E ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-21 20:03 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: October 12, 2009 23:20

I have read in some books that Brian gave the name to the band just prior to getting up on stage on July 12th. But that's not correct then. So it seams as if the band name was existing alreday on July 2nd and probably a bit earlier than that too. So we may trace the name back to June of 62?

When did Jagger and Richards get into the club and saw Elmo Lewis together with Alexis Korner? That must have been late May or something?

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 13, 2009 00:32

According to Bill Wyman's "Rolling With The Stones", Mick and Keith met "Elmo Lewis" at The Ealing Club on April 7, 1962.
Brian's advert was published in Jazz News on May 2, 1962.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2009 10:21

Deltics... you are a treasure.

I've seen Brian's ad many times but this time I really pay attention into it, and what it actually says.

Fisrt thing to notice is that as far as The Rolling Stones is considered to be Brian's "brain child" or was born according to his "master plan", that's a strong over-exaggaration. What Brian had in his mind - at least in this stage - seems quite a far cry from what the band turned out to be. First of all, he seemed to hold the vocal and guitar duties solely by his own hands (just think of it...eye rolling smiley) All he needed was four other guys to basically back him up: one to piano, one to harmonica or sax, one to bass and one to drums. It looks like that the model he has in his mind was more that of a jazz band - or Blues Incorporated - than the guitar driven rock band the Stones turned out to be.

Technically he might formed the Stones, but what the band turned out to be, seemed to develop by the logic of its own, by the nature and contributrion of the members to join in. Seemingly, the arrival of Mick and Keith (a duet that didn't have any place in Brian's original scheme) changed the dynamics strongly. Mick took the vocal duties and Brian and Keith started to work out their guitar duets. I think the 'Stones' was born in that moment when Mick and Keith and Chuck Berry walked in. That was the birth of the 'greatest rock and roll band in the world". If Brian had any genious or vision THAT was seeing the potentiality of Mick and Keith and their rocking, non-purist attitude, and choosing THEM instead of some technically better players he already was associated with. (Well, check the Ginger Baker thread to see what some technically superior players were thinking of Mick at the time. Keith is not even mentioned; he was generally hated by the whole r&b scene.)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-13 10:24 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home