For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.
More current bands say they are influenced by the Stones then any other band.
That's funny. I've always seen Led Zeppelin mentioned the most.
Source? Magazines, web posts, liner notes and websites over the eons. That's 'source' enough. Also known as 'common knowledge', like how we can pull Mick and Keith quotes out of nowhere.
>> I know, but the context was America ... (in fact, it would be interesting to know what exactly is the story of [Cutler's] introduction <<
... since you're interested: the story begins at the Hyde Park show - that's where Cutler first called them that.
so the context wasn't America. but i reckon you'll find a way to make your stereotyping fit anyway,
so ... have some popcorn :E
I stand to be corrected... I also reckon that the Norman book referred to Hyde Park... and what goes for "stereotyping", I quote one of my heroes:"if you cannot take it as a joke, thats's too @#$%& bad.."
Sorry if I offend any sensitive souls. Greetings to Obama, by the way. God bless America.
3. stage pressence
Wish Stonestod was here now ... Reckon he'd say The Stones are the greatest
A 20-point charter for the brainwshed:
1) Every track the the Stones have made is brilliant and far, far better than anything that anyone else has ever put out.
2) The Stones are as good today as they have ever been.
3) The Stones' setlists in recent years have been interesting and challenging with something for everyone.
4) Keith's playing is better than ever.
5) Ronnie has never been too drunk to play.
6) Ronnie is a better guitarist than Mick Taylor.
7) Mick Taylor should consider himself honoured to be mentioned in the same breath as the Rolling Stones.
8) The ticket prices are reasonable.
9) Forbid the mere mention of the Beatles, U2, Springsteen, Led Zepellin or anyone else who has outsold, outgrossed or received better reviews than the Stones.
10) Anyone ignoring above is an infidel and not a true Stones fan.
11) The Stones are not just in it for the money but to extend their creative, artistic abilities as far across the world as possible.
12) Keith actually likes Mick's songs.
13) Mick actually likes Keith's songs.
14) Mick's solo albums are great and misunderstood.
15) Live Licks is a brilliant live album.
16) Shine A Light is the best rock film ever made.
17) There are no such things as classic albums unless they are put out by the Stones.
18) Anything considered to be better or comparable to the Stones is either overrated or just "hype".
19) Mick jagger is still a great vocalist.
20) NEVER argue with infidels.
OK, so it's been 24 hours now, and as I suspected, not a single one of you has had the nerve to step up to my challenge, and name another band as being "better" than the Stones...
Therefore, by default, I hereby declare "The Rolling Stones Officially The Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band In The World!!!"
While arguably true, it really has nothing to do with whether or not they are, it's merely a phrase used as an introduction on the 69 tour, and then immortalized on Get Your Ya's Ya's Out, that happened to stick.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Greatest front-man + Greatest rhythm guitar player + one of the greatest drummers (who with BW makes superb rhythm section + many of the greatest songs written in rock + amazing live performances + doing it when rock counted most (60s and 70s)= Greatest band