Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Greatest or brainwashed?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 9, 2009 17:23

saturn57
More current bands say they are influenced by the Stones then any other band.

source?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 9, 2009 17:31

That's funny. I've always seen Led Zeppelin mentioned the most.

Date: October 9, 2009 17:36

skipstone
That's funny. I've always seen Led Zeppelin mentioned the most.

source?

Posted by: MonkeyTrain ()
Date: October 9, 2009 18:28

This morning E Street Radio on XM declared Springsteen is the "greatest" performer in rock history. Guess I need to change my mantra.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Springsteen is greatest, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: October 9, 2009 23:11

OK, so it's been 24 hours now, and as I suspected, not a single one of you has had the nerve to step up to my challenge, and name another band as being "better" than the Stones...

Therefore, by default, I hereby declare "The Rolling Stones Officially The Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band In The World!!!"

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: October 9, 2009 23:31

Greatest...no, not in my book. They are among the greatest.

Greatest RnR band IMHO = Pink Floyd followed by the Soundtrack of Our Lives anno 1995-1998. But the Stones are definitely on my top 5.

Date: October 9, 2009 23:39

Source? Magazines, web posts, liner notes and websites over the eons. That's 'source' enough. Also known as 'common knowledge', like how we can pull Mick and Keith quotes out of nowhere.

Date: October 9, 2009 23:46

skipstone
Source? Magazines, web posts, liner notes and websites over the eons. That's 'source' enough. Also known as 'common knowledge', like how we can pull Mick and Keith quotes out of nowhere.

ok if that's all you got. we're trying to conduct this study as scientifically as possible. we can't just make this stuff up or we will look very foolish.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 10, 2009 00:56

Doxa
with sssoul
>> I know, but the context was America ... (in fact, it would be interesting to know what exactly is the story of [Cutler's] introduction <<

... since you're interested: the story begins at the Hyde Park show - that's where Cutler first called them that.
so the context wasn't America. but i reckon you'll find a way to make your stereotyping fit anyway,
so ... have some popcorn :E

I stand to be corrected... I also reckon that the Norman book referred to Hyde Park... and what goes for "stereotyping", I quote one of my heroes:"if you cannot take it as a joke, thats's too @#$%& bad.."

Sorry if I offend any sensitive souls. Greetings to Obama, by the way. God bless America.

- Doxa

Obviously a certain thread with a complete different topic started by me some weeks ago and added today because of certain reasons got deleted by our editor.

I respect this from the bottom of my heart.

Nevertheless I´d like to greet Obama.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 10, 2009 01:57

1.talent
2.song writing
3. stage pressence
4. personality

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2009 02:30

Wish Stonestod was here now ... Reckon he'd say The Stones are the greatest

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 10, 2009 02:46

ghostryder13
1.talent
2.song writing
3. stage pressence
4. personality

...you're talking in the past tense, obviously.

Posted by: saulsurvivor ()
Date: October 10, 2009 02:54

The Stones marketing has very little, if anything, to do with why they are the greatest band of all to me. I love hundreds of other bands, but none of them have the same effect. Something about Charlie and Keith and Jagger's snarl....who knows? They get me every time.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 10, 2009 04:02

Back in their hey day there's no question in my mind they had the best live show around and nothing has topped it since. But Im fan so I guess I'm biased... So be it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 10, 2009 04:21

Rockman
Wish Stonestod was here now ... Reckon he'd say The Stones are the greatest

he might if it were still 1972....

it's been a long day at the office....so...hmmm...it ain't, right?

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: October 10, 2009 08:13

Barn Owl
A 20-point charter for the brainwshed:

1) Every track the the Stones have made is brilliant and far, far better than anything that anyone else has ever put out.
2) The Stones are as good today as they have ever been.
3) The Stones' setlists in recent years have been interesting and challenging with something for everyone.
4) Keith's playing is better than ever.
5) Ronnie has never been too drunk to play.
6) Ronnie is a better guitarist than Mick Taylor.
7) Mick Taylor should consider himself honoured to be mentioned in the same breath as the Rolling Stones.
8) The ticket prices are reasonable.
9) Forbid the mere mention of the Beatles, U2, Springsteen, Led Zepellin or anyone else who has outsold, outgrossed or received better reviews than the Stones.
10) Anyone ignoring above is an infidel and not a true Stones fan.
11) The Stones are not just in it for the money but to extend their creative, artistic abilities as far across the world as possible.
12) Keith actually likes Mick's songs.
13) Mick actually likes Keith's songs.
14) Mick's solo albums are great and misunderstood.
15) Live Licks is a brilliant live album.
16) Shine A Light is the best rock film ever made.
17) There are no such things as classic albums unless they are put out by the Stones.
18) Anything considered to be better or comparable to the Stones is either overrated or just "hype".
19) Mick jagger is still a great vocalist.
20) NEVER argue with infidels.

Right on bro

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: October 10, 2009 08:24

dewlover
OK, so it's been 24 hours now, and as I suspected, not a single one of you has had the nerve to step up to my challenge, and name another band as being "better" than the Stones...

Therefore, by default, I hereby declare "The Rolling Stones Officially The Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band In The World!!!"

Led Zeppelin
E Street Band
The Beatles
Pearl Jam
Grateful Dead
Eric Clapton
The Who

. . . and on and on . . . always hated that "greatest" thing, what a joke. When did our beloved rock'n'roll turn into American professional wrestling.

The stones were an incredible rock band back in 1972, but that was 37 years ago. So the stones are the greatest rock band? They peaked 37 years ago, Wow the rock music scene hasn't produced anything else. To bad, I thought rock'n'roll was much more dynamic than stones' music.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 10, 2009 09:09

i've noticed that most other bands people have posted here that they claim are the greatest no longer exist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-10 17:25 by ghostryder13.

Date: October 12, 2009 18:48

Led Zeppelin
E Street Band
The Beatles
Pearl Jam
Grateful Dead
Eric Clapton
The Who
Pink Floyd

To say any of these are better rock 'n' roll bands than the Rolling Stones is absolutely laughable...First of all, one isn't even a "band", most don't exist, and the ones that do, don't even come close...Nice try, but you have failed miserably...Therefore, The Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band In The World, yes, 37 years after their so-called "peak", remains THE ROLLING STONES!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-12 18:51 by dewlover.

Date: October 12, 2009 18:49

...now just for that, I order you to go listen to that little chump, Eddie Veder!!

Date: October 12, 2009 20:05

Eh, well, a source to be considered is word of mouth.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: October 12, 2009 20:40

The best rock and roll band in the world?Well today I am under the impression that it's The Black Crowes.Tomorrow I might think it's Wilco.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: October 12, 2009 22:08

boogie69
While arguably true, it really has nothing to do with whether or not they are, it's merely a phrase used as an introduction on the 69 tour, and then immortalized on Get Your Ya's Ya's Out, that happened to stick.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, but at that time it was true. It isn't true any more and hasn't been the case for some years. They're still good but a shadow of what they were then. Blame complacency, running out of ideas, Ron Wood,getting old, whatever you will, but no band can maintain that standard for ever.

Contemporary bands from that time are also now past their best, just touring to fill the stadiums and their bank accounts - Floyd, Genesis, Quo, Who, Zepp. They still have something to offer and still have their loyal fans, to whom they may still be 'the greatest' but to an objective listener without rose-tinted spectacles they are past their best, and this includes the Stones.

Date: October 12, 2009 22:22

zepp is touring?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 12, 2009 22:43

as much as i love the stones "former greatest" would probably fit them much better today.it happened gradually-the same backing musicians every tour,the lame ,horrible lyrics on quickly thrown together records,the chuck leavell factor,bringing justin timberlake onstage and getting destroyed by ac/dc in toronto.pathetic moneygrab ticket prices,keiths buzzkill set as half the audience goes to the bathroom and grabs another beer and on and on....when they're gone they'll still be looked back on as the greatest by many,many people though.me included.

Date: October 13, 2009 00:59

What does it have to do with bands that are still going? Y'all would be whoopin' it up even if the Stones had stopped after 1982.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 13, 2009 17:41

Bliss, thanks for the review of the songwriting.

When Mick discusses the phrase in interviews, he says something like this--

I wouldn't say we're the greatest. (Laugh). We are a really good
rock 'n roll band.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 13, 2009 21:00

Bang on, Barn Owl!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 14, 2009 00:10

An argument can be made for the Beatles and the Who and maybe Zep but track for track and different styles of music the Stones are it and the greatest band in MY book.

Someone above said Pink Floyd no comparison!!!! They have two or three really good albums the rest is too bizzarre for me.

Springsteen is a grat performer but he is not the Stones and I think he'd be the first to admit it.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 14, 2009 02:28

doubledoor
Greatest front-man + Greatest rhythm guitar player + one of the greatest drummers (who with BW makes superb rhythm section + many of the greatest songs written in rock + amazing live performances + doing it when rock counted most (60s and 70s)= Greatest band

I have to agree 100 percent doubledoor. Good call on this one, especially "doing it when rock counted most".

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-14 02:29 by RSbestbandever.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home