Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith's Fantastic SFTD 1994 Miami Solo!
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 8, 2009 18:26

I've been looking for this one for quite some time and found it in the thread about the Inflatables.

At 5:14 Keith slips below the key and NOBODY NOTICES! It's a nice run of, well, all wrong notes. My question has been - when this DVD came out, did that get fixed (overdubbed) or edited out or just left in there?

Re: Keith's Fantastic SFTD 1994 Miami Solo!
Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: October 8, 2009 18:32

Keith does that from time to time - he's had the occasional flub all the way back to '69 at least (refer to his background riff on Live With Me from Liv'R Than You'll Ever Be).

On the other hand, KR's SFTD solo in Atlantic City in '06 was absolutely sizzling.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 8, 2009 18:38

It is somehow fixed on the DVD.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: October 8, 2009 18:45

It's just edited out with nothing in its place - odd (but indeed better than the incredible original).

Who says the others notice nothing? Even if they do, which surely they do, they can only keep going, wait till it's over and hope the audience notices nothing because they are just looking, not listening! Golden rule: on stage, never betray the f*ck ups.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: October 8, 2009 19:32

How can it take so long for Keith to notice that he's in the wrong key...

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 8, 2009 19:51

skipstone
I've been looking for this one for quite some time and found it in the thread about the Inflatables.

At 5:14 Keith slips below the key and NOBODY NOTICES! It's a nice run of, well, all wrong notes. My question has been - when this DVD came out, did that get fixed (overdubbed) or edited out or just left in there?

Just proves EVERYONE goofs up on stage. Nice recovery too! Looked like once he made eye contact with Ron's hand on his fret board he jumped right back into the right key.

Same thing happened on Get your Ya, Ya's out. It was during this song or Midnight Rambler. I must play the entire CD right now!

CBII

Date: October 8, 2009 20:00

Well, if you look at the video you'll notice no one makes any kind of facial acknowledgment that something has gone wrong. Ronnie, of course, is digging whatever it is. I think what it does show, however, is how the monitors are not exactly set up to follow the musicians so they can hear what they're doing. He's not looking at the guitar at first in a manner that lets him see where he is - when he does finally see where he's at, he adjusts. It's obvious he couldn't hear what he was doing. I also thought the first little solo run he did, earlier in the song, when he walked out straight and did a little dance and didn't play a lick? That is just supreme! For all the glorious musical moments over the years, it's when these moments occur - screw ups or just goofing off - that make it even better in a way. Another good example is the screw up Mick does in At The Max in IORR when he sings something and it's not time for that and they capture, I think, Keith and Ronnie? laughing about it. Or smiling.

Personally I find it fantastic - this one here, SFTD Miami 1994, my all time fave for screw ups! Absolutely fantastic. I know people goof up on stage all the time. My little kick is how much, how bad, etc. My curiosity has always been, and it's been answered, did it make it to the DVD.

Don't recall anything like that on Ya-Ya's.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 8, 2009 20:25

skipstone
Well, if you look at the video you'll notice no one makes any kind of facial acknowledgment that something has gone wrong. Ronnie, of course, is digging whatever it is. I think what it does show, however, is how the monitors are not exactly set up to follow the musicians so they can hear what they're doing. He's not looking at the guitar at first in a manner that lets him see where he is - when he does finally see where he's at, he adjusts. It's obvious he couldn't hear what he was doing. I also thought the first little solo run he did, earlier in the song, when he walked out straight and did a little dance and didn't play a lick? That is just supreme! For all the glorious musical moments over the years, it's when these moments occur - screw ups or just goofing off - that make it even better in a way. Another good example is the screw up Mick does in At The Max in IORR when he sings something and it's not time for that and they capture, I think, Keith and Ronnie? laughing about it. Or smiling.

Personally I find it fantastic - this one here, SFTD Miami 1994, my all time fave for screw ups! Absolutely fantastic. I know people goof up on stage all the time. My little kick is how much, how bad, etc. My curiosity has always been, and it's been answered, did it make it to the DVD.

Don't recall anything like that on Ya-Ya's.

I agree, it's live music at its finest. You're right on Ya, Ya's its not a goof but a quick tuning touch up on one of the strings by him or Taylor.

CBII

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 8, 2009 20:28

>> you'll notice no one makes any kind of facial acknowledgment that something has gone wrong <<

that's not what i notice at all. Ronnie does react, real briefly.
of course they all noticed, but they all - Keith included - take it in stride, as behooves a band of pros.
as otonneau said: on stage, never betray the f*ck ups.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 8, 2009 20:41

Funnily enough, it blows away the time they played it in Ottawa 2005 when he (and Charlie) actually left the stage more than once mid-song!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 8, 2009 23:13

jamesfdouglas
Funnily enough, it blows away the time they played it in Ottawa 2005 when he in(and Charlie) actually left the stage more than once mid-song!
please explain !

scuk

Date: October 8, 2009 23:26

Ottawa was one of the shows where something screwed up with the SftD percussion loop -
Charlie couldn't hear it, and couldn't get the techies' attention, so Keith went and got the techies' attention on Charlie's behalf.
and then Charlie had to go stop Keith from strangling someone :E

actually on the ABB tour Keith very often stayed behind the amps for portions of SftD.
Charlie leaving his post was unusual though! but then, something funny always happens when they play that number ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-08 23:28 by with sssoul.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 9, 2009 10:52

Bärs
How can it take so long for Keith to notice that he's in the wrong key...

+1

Watching the DVD ,I always feel like if I am sitting right in the middle of the Joe Robbie Stadium...

BTW ,did Keith missed the same number in Nagoya Dome 2006 or was it JJF ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: October 9, 2009 11:09

Ronnie does the same on JJF on Handsome Girls, what else is new winking smiley

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: October 9, 2009 15:20

I wonder what Darryl Jones is thinking Keith hits does wrong notes... Charlie said it once... Keith is either right on,really off or two weeks ahead of you...

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 9, 2009 15:38

I don´t think Darryl Jones cares about that, even Miles Davis hit a few bum notes in his time.

Date: October 9, 2009 16:28

Now if I can just find that picture of Keith from the Babylon tour that is so cool I will have accomplished something that's a good laugh.

Date: October 9, 2009 16:30

Ahhhh. Ronnie doesn't notice at all watching that again for the millionth time. He's doing his usual 'eyes closed meet you at the end' routine. And Mick doesn't make any motion that he notices.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: October 10, 2009 00:36

keiths one fret down mistake : everyone notices ...
but nobody gives it up cause
1) you only make things worse
2) the show must go on
3 ) not the first time Keith or anyonea makes mistakes on stage.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 11, 2009 13:50

There's a gig Keith is playing a complete other track as the rest of the band. I don't remember exactly, but Keith is playing the riffs of Satisfation and the band go into IORR. It was during the nineties I guess.

Date: October 11, 2009 13:59

>> It was during the nineties I guess <<

it was in october 2005 - the encore of one of the Philadelphia shows.
Keith launched IORR, and then the Mick came out singing Satisfaction.
the band quickly adjusted to the frontman - and Satisfaction was the number listed on the setlist -
but it's still quite a feat to sing a totally different song than the band is playing.

hail hail Rolling Stones, eh? :E

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 11, 2009 14:40

with sssoul

the band quickly adjusted to the frontman - and Satisfaction was the number listed on the setlist -
but it's still quite a feat to sing a totally different song than the band is playing.

Didn't that happen with IORR & STAR STAR too?
I think it appears on a bootleg of mishaps.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 11, 2009 15:15

with sssoul

I was there. very closed to the stage, retricted view seat, Ronnie side

The screw up was blatant from the start - the most intererting is that during some seconds it turned out in a sort of competition between Jagger and Richards, a sort of who-is-going-to-give-up-first

Because you knew that each of those two egos had understood the other glimmer twin was playing something else - but they wouldn't not give up - Fantastic disrespect for the audience - Fantastic Rolling Stones behaving like golden mules - I almost loved it

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 12, 2009 02:22

sweet neo con
with sssoul

Didn't that happen with IORR & STAR STAR too?
I think it appears on a bootleg of mishaps.

There is a bootleg named "13 Nervous Breakdowns" which contains such screwed up tunes like "She so cold" from Wembley 82, the band failed to get the right entrance of the first verse or Mick's false entrance in the beginning of "Brown Sugar", Madrid 1990. Funny thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home