Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Question for BMUSEED - Ron Schneider
Date: October 9, 2009 16:07

Thanks ER, I wanted to post the same thing already a while back, but refrained because I've been laid up for weeks, and have been posting way too much as is.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: October 9, 2009 16:21

deleted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-09 17:13 by straycat58.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 9, 2009 16:41

Stray - do you think people like being corrected with what they say ?? Probably not. Ron is going from his memory, not going from articles you have been reading over & over...

perhaps send him a personal e-mail with your corrections..that's what I was getting at. Unless you want to big note yourself?

ER

Date: October 9, 2009 17:10

Eleanor Rigby
Stray - do you think people like being corrected with what they say ?? Probably not. Ron is going from his memory, not going from articles you have been reading over & over...

perhaps send him a personal e-mail with your corrections..that's what I was getting at. Unless you want to big note yourself?

ER

You could be right. In such a case I apologize with you all.
Let's close the matter; I will cancel my posts immediately.

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: October 9, 2009 17:14

I have always had a problem with dates...I don't care about them, what is most important to me is the events. At one time I was told that we have just so much memory capability and that new memories overwrite less important ones so I immediately stopped memorizing phone numbers (technology and my cell phone help that prob). Now with that said..please excuse my chronological errors. I do appreciate the corrections as it does help with my memory..
The picture that Tom Monaster took (I connected with him last week after eons) with us at Ondine's was after the Ed Sullivan show (it was the show where we fought with Ed about the lyrics --Let's Spend the Night Together-Ed wanted it changed to Let's Spend Sometime Together--when we saw the show, they had put in a loud audience applause track so you couldn't hear what was said..I got even in '69 when Ed needed the Stones) and it was Brian that had his hand pushed thru the glass door. We originally arrived with our limo at the stage door entrance to the theater, no one was there and it was locked. Within moments a crowd started to form around us, we decided to make a run to the front of the theater. We got to the front doors and they were locked as well. We were pounding on the doors to get let in when more fans started pushing and crushing us forward. Brian's hand got pushed thru a glass panel and he was cut..
JIMI..was playing with the Druids at the time of Ondine's but the times I remember most are when he was there and played solo on the small stage..It was incredible, the way he could take the guitar in any position and make music..playing it with his teeth, behind his back, over his head...that and watching James Brown live in a small club in Harlem..one of the other benefits of hanging out with Mick and Keith..
I notice there is a More Hot Rocks member here... I am in the photos inside the album jacket of More Hot Rocks.. It is a photo of me and Keith with Winchester rifles and a horse. We were in Scottsdale, Arizon.. At some point I will go into horse back riding with Keith..you should note those photos on my site..

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 9, 2009 17:15

well now wait a minute ... of course no one expects the man to remember every detail off the top of his head -
that wasn't what straycat58 implied at all. courteous reminders of the dates of events
can be helpful to people trying to recall them. i hope Mr Schneider won't be offended,
and i hope straycat58 won't erase his posts.

edit: sorry, as usual i type too slow, and Mr Schneider himself replied in the interim, but i've decided to leave my message anyway.
the people who were there are often not the ones who keep track of the dates and details,
and the historical record needs both. have some popcorn, everybody, and swing on

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-11 18:56 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 9, 2009 17:31

yes I agree...lets swing on...Stray, please don't be offended by my post - it wasn't my intention.

Thanks again Ron for your insightful posts...much appreciated by all.

Dates? What date?

Altamont?

Date: October 9, 2009 17:32

sorry with sssoul, I edited already. But I think we should profit of Ron presence here and leave space to him for these great memories. We can debate in a second time and in a separate thread.

The above stated, I just wish to read more.

Date: October 9, 2009 18:40

The reason I am now posting on this site is because you all seem to be fans that are interested in what happened and basically are all respectful and inquisitive. Do not hesitate to correct what you think may be my errors.. I am posting now before the memory totally goes (I will be expanding a blog on my site..for longer stories..I have one about my battles with Bill Graham and will put some of my replies from here to there as well).
When we toured it was often the case of "this is Tuesday, what city are we in?" Every place looked the same, we drove past the same KFC, Dairy Queen, and small malls so please understand that the memories fall into that category. The Stones would perform, we would leave the show, get in our little Martin 404 charter and fly to the next city, arrive after 1 or 2 in the morning..drive to the hotel or motel, settle into the rooms and search for food.. This usually led us to the nearby greasy spoon diner (and I do mean greasy)that was the only place open where the choices were, fried chicken or chile. Crash... get up in the early afternoon and go for the sound check.. go eat dinner and do the show...leave the show, board the plane and the next city..on and on...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 9, 2009 18:46

Man if you wrote a book I'd sure buy it...

Date: October 9, 2009 18:58

straycat58--I am sorry to see that you deleted your posts. You started this discussion and I welcome any corrections. I don't take offense at any of it..and boy have I got stories...
A few times I have gone down the book route only to have the agents tell me that they only wanted the Dirt and that's how I could get a book deal and after almost 7 years with the boys, I definitely had dirt.....I always felt that the fans wanted the stories and didn't necessarily want the low down stuff and while we are all human, we don't need to cater to our baser instinct...I don't consider the tales of sex, drugs and rock and roll to be the dirt (it's the mean spirited personal attack stuff I won't do) or baser instinct stuff as it was a different world then --touring with Ike and Tina, Patti LaBelle and the Bluebells, Chuck Berry, BBKing, etc, free love, teargas, and no aids.....I have enough smiles to carry me thru so I am trying to share some of them with the fans...

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: October 9, 2009 19:05

Fantastic stuff Mr Schnieder....This really is a a great thread....facinating to hear all these stories....Thank You

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: October 9, 2009 19:42

thanks for these stories/memories

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 9, 2009 19:57

I'm very appreciative of Mr. Schneiders' contribution.

Comish

Date: October 9, 2009 20:16

an early early story.. When I first met the Stones (there is a polaroid on my site of the first time we got together), I was living with a roommate in a studio apartment next to Weequahic Park in New Jersey. It was close to the Newark Airport and all the 'stewardesses' stayed there. Keith came out to visit with his girlfriend (I think it was Linda Keith) and swam at the apartment swimming pool (he had the longest hair that anyone there had ever seen) and came up to the top of the building to hang out and watch the sunset. Keith was and I would assume, very cool. I had many great, exciting, scary, funny, etc. experiences with him.. He was someone that you want on your side.
When we were in Dallas, he said that he wanted to go horseback riding.. We had this image of just going up the road a bit and going riding.. well, we had to drive quite awhile out of Dallas before we got to a real ranch and spent the day riding..when we arrived for a date in Phoenix, we went horseback riding there as well. It was great to go from the grassy fields, to the desert with the cactus and then up mountains that seemed to be made from black sharp rocks. The stable insisted that we go with a guide and sent a girl with us..:-) We only wanted to gallop and race each other, which she did not like. At one point she insisted that we 'stay put' as she had to go to the bathroom, she rode a distance from us, got off her horse and squatted in the desert. When we saw her disappear, that seemed to be the starter's pistol we needed to charge our horses in her direction. Scared the piss out of her or boy was she pissed.. She made us walk our horses to cool them down when we got back to the stable and was glad to see us go.. which leads me to

.After the last date in California, our pilot said that he was dead heading the plane back to the east coast and if we wanted a 'lift' he would take us and drop us off anywhere along the return route. Keith said he had made some calls and he wanted to go to Scottsdale, Arizona where he had set up an overnight ride and he invited me and Gered Mankowitz (our photographer for that tour). There are a lot of pics of this on my site..from a bobcat stealing bacon at the camp, waking up to him being shot at, my horse deciding to roll over in the water while I was on him, us wearing chaps, having Winchester rifles, I think Keith had a custom made 45 revolver that Lou Adler loaned him to play with, shooting our hats, wearing these outfits with the rifles to the airport..they kept the guns outside the pilots cabin...and did I mention that the cowboy in the pics that went with us was John Wayne's guide for his westerns...I believe he also worked with John Ford..
That was the kind of guy the Keith I knew was..also..he loved and collected derringers and once shot one that came thru my motel room wall, as he said ...ron, it was floor lever by the base board, sorry didn't think it would go thru...

Date: October 9, 2009 20:22

The dirt might cause an initial stir, but then turns out to be a flash in the pan. Sapnish Tony's book might be the only one of that genre that has any kind of lasting power in Stones community it seems. But all other books that are held in high esteem are the ones that go deeper.
I can only speak for myself but I get much more xcited reading that Jagger stumbled once when he was recording the vocal to "Jigsaw Puzzle", and I know this is a first-hand account, than if I am reading something like "..and you just know they had piles and piles of cocaine in there..".
IORR should put your book out.

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: October 9, 2009 20:26

Ron mentions his website but I couldn't locate it in this thread (perhaps I missed it), so I just entered his name into Google and there it is!

[www.meandtherollingstones.com]

(this is for those who don't already know it)

thanks for all the stories Ron, they are amazing...great website too

Date: October 9, 2009 21:01

This might be it for today... and it will be a European Tour story... We were in Goteborg, Sweden at the Intercontinental. The tour promoter had gathered the local politicians and their entourage for a sit down long table dinner with all of us. We were at the far end of the table..on my left was Anita Pallenburg, Keith and then about 10 'others' across from me was Bill and Charlie, it was awhile before Mick got there. A waiter appeared and Anita whispered something to him--she asked as to what was the strongest alcohol that was traditional --he appeared with a bottle of a clear liquid (probably like straight grain alcohol). Anita took a water glass and filled it from the bottle, she then took the glass and chugged it. Slammed the glass down in front of Keith, refilled it and said.."prove to me that you are a man"..Keith chugged it as all us 'men' did..when Mick appeared we were getting quite intoxicated and he wanted to catch up so he chugged a glass.. By now things were getting noisy, Keith had put his feet up on the table, smashing the plates that were there, and once again we were talking louder ...the promoter signaled me over --he said that I had to try and get them under control as it was bothering the people.. I called the boys over and we actually huddled..I said that the promoter had called me over to help get them under control and laughed that he didn't realize how drunk I was and we just laughed about it.. Keith ended up on the floor of the restaurant making out with Anita, at this time the promoter, politicians, etc left. A waitress came over to pull Anita off of Keith and Keith accidently hit her with his arm--a photo of this was on the front page of the paper the next day..
A waitress came over to me and said that the police had been called and I had better get them out of there. I pushed, dragged and carried us out and into the elevator to go up to our rooms..I actually carried Anita.. I came down a little later and asked the waitress what had happened.. she said the police and a paddy wagon had come but since no one was there..they left...and oh I should know that the police would now not come back... and with that I went back up to the boys, told them and they ended up back at the restaurant and played there until very early the next morning..

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 9, 2009 21:49

How would Bemused categorize the good things and the bad about his Uncle Allen?

Date: October 9, 2009 22:35

deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-24 18:55 by bmuseed.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 9, 2009 23:17

Terrific stuff, Bemuseed. Thank you.
I know you stated earlier that you didn't go on the 1967 tour of Europe,
but can you shed any light on the UK tour in 1966 (with Ike and Tina Turner
and the Yardbirds)? There seems to be no photos or no press coverage at all
of that tour. Was that something Andrew did? And what's your opinion of Andrew
after all these years? Thanks.

Date: October 10, 2009 01:43

Just a personal extra Thank You for the '70 story, Ron.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 10, 2009 12:23

Amazing memories/stories! Thanks for sharing them!!!

Oh and welcome to IORR!

Date: October 10, 2009 13:12

many thanks indeed, Mr Schneider ... and if you don't mind elaborating on this intriguing statement:
>> I got even in '69 when Ed needed the Stones <<
i'm sure i'm not the only person who would love to hear more about that

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 10, 2009 13:18

If you wrote a book you could publish it privately and sell it on the net. There've been a few Stones books like that, notably James Phelges'.

As for fact checking there are probably a thousand people on this site who'd help out, myself included.

Date: October 10, 2009 17:32

Why I said "get even with Ed Sullivan": As I stated earlier, there was a few hour battle at the show as Ed and his producers did not want Mick to sing the lyrics--'let's spend the night together'-and wanted them to be changed to 'let's spend sometime together'-network TV in those days did not allow anything sexual, so for hours, Mick wrestled with his artistic integrity and that of commercial success..it was very tuff, but Mick decided to go with the revised lyric. Prior to the decision as I wondered thru the rehearsal I noted a 'covy' of Nuns, there were about 10 of them. They were the 'Singing Nuns'and they were doing the Ed Sullivan Show. I thought it would be great to have a picture of the Stones with the Nuns..and started to try and organize that. Seems Ed and his producers didn't find it apropos so they tried to have me thrown out. We prevailed on my remaining and Mick sang.

When they aired the show, you couldn't hear any of the lyrics as they seemed to have laid in a very loud audience track. It seemed to me that they didn't trust Mick and put in the track so no one would hear either way. Really pissed us off after the long ethical fight.

Fade back into 1969, Ed's ratings have dropped and he needed a boost for the show, so they wanted to book the Stones.. I was not that cooperative and said that the only place that we had the time to do the show was in Los Angeles, Ed filmed in NY and was prohibited from filming in LA but finally agreed and we set up a date in LA..one of his provision's was that he was not to announce that the filming was in LA, union problem--Ed's mind seemed to be a bit out of it and when he came on stage to greet Mick,he said 'what to you think of Los Angeles?' the director yelled cut and they had to redo the greeting... Six times Ed said the same thing and six times the director yelled cut and start over. Further to making the mountain come to the us, part of the revenge was having Ed pitch the album and we made him say the album title.."Let It Bleed". Just having Ed say that balanced out the 'spend some time together' BS I never signed the release for the show and am waiting for it to ever air again..actually would like to see it..

Date: October 10, 2009 19:35

smile: thank you for the story - i grew up watching the Stones on Sullivan,
and that rendition of "Let's Spend Some Time Together" with Mick eloquently rolling his eyes is unforgettable of course :E
i knew from Stanley Booth's book that the 1969 program was filmed in LA, but i didn't realize that was so unusual

i don't have any photos on hand of the "Let's Spend Some Time Together" episode (january 1967)
but here's a charming shot of the rehearsals for the november 1969 Sullivan show,
with Stu standing in for Bill, who wasn't feeling well and didn't make it to the rehearsals.

- november 1969, courtesy of Getty Images (don't know who took it, sorry!)

Date: October 10, 2009 20:39

ahhh Stanley Booth's book...it was quite disappointing to me. He had full access and I felt that a true image of the entire tour would emerge. The fact that it took 15 years to get done led me to wonder what had gone on. I just went back to the book and noted that I had over 20 some paper clips on pages..each paper clip represented a misstatement or misrepresentation. He assumed things about me that weren't true and they clouded his impressions--he thought I was still working with Allen and we were in cahouts and he was also trying to do a covert book deal and felt I would interfere or get a piece of his deal. He did give a disclaimer...if I made any mistakes it was because I was doing too many drugs..they do make you paranoid and mess with your mind, so I can understand but still be disappointed.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 10, 2009 21:03

Mr. Schneider,

Your accounts come from the heart, which makes it more interesting. One comment please: Everyone forgets things through this long journey of life. The dollar can make others do and say crazy things. Again, I enjoy your Reads.

Comish

Date: October 10, 2009 21:44

Comish

One of my best friends was nicknamed the comish..he died years ago..great guy

Your comment is well taken. Not only do we forget but modify in our own minds. That is why I welcome any and all corrections.
My disclaimer... when I sat down to write some of this I decided to check some of the time line and look at the different tours..I was almost sure that I did not do the '65 tour as that was when I graduated the U of Miami.. It wasn't until I found my '65 tour book signed by the boys with that cryptic Brian Jones drawing for me..that I remembered that tour and the subsequent '66 tour. It does corroborate my... I don't do dates... and welcome any help..

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home