Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Question for BMUSEED - Ron Schneider
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: October 7, 2009 10:21

Hi Ron,
would like to know if you have been involved in the 1967 European Tour and, in case, can you tell me when the band began to record their performances? It was 69 or even before? In other words, do you know if recordings of the 1967 tour, made by the band entourage, do exist?

Also, you have any idea if the stones recorded the rehearsals of the 1969 Tour?

Re: Question for BMUSEED - Ron Schneider
Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: October 7, 2009 22:46

I wasn't involved in the '67 European Tour, Ironically, I just posted a little tidbit from the '70 Euro Tour on my site in the Stories section
I don't believe there were any recordings of rehearsals but there could be... we were always finding tape recorders hidden around the stages..we found quite a few "Nagras" which were top of the line then--Chipmonck usually found them and would dispose of the tape and leave the recorder (sometimes I think the wires were cut ..)

Date: October 8, 2009 12:09

Tks Ron for your reply.

Didn't know you managed the 70 tour as well; actually, there're no books and/or relevant info regarding this tour. Can you tell me more about your involvement and what happened to your collaboration with the band after 1970?

Also would like to understand more about your 1966 activities with the stones.

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: October 8, 2009 13:18

dito

Date: October 8, 2009 14:36

Ditto here. I'm sure nobody here wants to pry into ...Nah! Of course we do! smiling smiley
But, as much speculating as we do, you are someone who must have more 'real' stories than most of us thrown together. And the '70 Tour ?!? The Dark Ages?!?

Date: October 8, 2009 20:36

OK ..first, in a weird way, the film GIMME SHELTER, came about due to the 1970 European tour. In those days when you toured Europe, you were lucky to break even and one of the ways to promote the tour dates was via film of the songs. The filmed songs were shown on TV (prior to MTV). The Stones wanted to film two of their songs from the Madison Square Garden date. I believe they wanted Wild Horses and Brown Sugar the list expanded to 4 songs that we hired the Maysles to film..from this filming for the European Tour, GIMME SHELTER evolved.
Now for Europe at this time.. there was violent unrest in many of the cities. Driving to the Paris show, we had to swerve in and out between overturned burning cars--coming out of an underground parking lot in Rome, a large stone was dropped on our limo from above. There were a lot of dangerous situations, even in our motel in Copenhagen..nearly had a sledgehammer fight with construction crews that were working when we tried to sleep..
At the Paris show while I was roaming around back stage, I opened a door behind the stage and walked into a giant room that was filled with black clothed riot gear armed French police. As I have stated earlier, another interesting note from the Paris concert: word got to Chipmonck that the Hell's Angel's were there and one of them had a gun. We were told that we could spot the Angel's because they were shirtless with badges stuck into their chests. Chip got to them and asked if they had a gun...the guy said yes but it was a starter's pistol and he just wanted to shoot it in the air.. he reconsidered..
and then there was the audience in Paris. All the royalty had come out and they were in the front rows of the concert..the show started and the audience charged to the front of the stage in an unruly show...the Dukes, Duchesses, Counts, Countesses, Prince's and Princesses got up and left...
Speaking of Chip...when the show's were on, I was always checking to make sure our exit was clear amongst other things. Many is the time that we had to escape quickly. As I was making sure the exit route from the stage was secure, I noticed that one of the French police was blocking the stairs chatting up the girls around the stage.. I asked for the stairs to be clear and he just ignored me so I pushed him off the stairs...(PS.I'm a little guy)--he grabbed my arm and a couple of other gendarmes grab me as well...our stage guys grabbed my other arm and I was in the middle of a tug of war... cops trying to pull me into the back to beat me and my crew trying to save my ass...Chip climbed over and jumped into the middle and in his soothing voice of Woodstock voice..calmed the situation...
Ok for now?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: October 8, 2009 20:41

It's more than ok. Thanks a lot for those Europe '70 tidbits

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: October 8, 2009 20:55

Interesting, but Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were not performed at MSG. Brown Sugar debuted at Altamont one week later. Both songs had audio clips from Muscle Shoals in the Gimme Shelter film

Date: October 8, 2009 20:56

Bmuseed, are you kidding me? OK for now?
This is the most interesting post I have read in ages. Thanks.
You should do a seminar thread once @ week. smiling smiley
Yes Europe was wild. I grew up In Rome, and that was our sentence eventually.No more live shows for...forever. I know it went on long after I left.
Zappa, Lou Reed and Genesis; Zappa, Lou and Genesis...

Another Question for BMUSEED - Ron Schneider
Date: October 8, 2009 21:06

I also have a question for Mr. Schneider, and thanks so much for your contributions here.They are fantastic.

For many years now I have always wondered about a segment in the Gimme Shelter film. Mr. Schneider, you were in the room in this scene so maybe you can help.
The scene is where Mel Beli is talking to someone on the phone in San Fransisco. He tells the person on the phone that you and others are in the room( the camera goes on you ) and trying to get the concert organized, but Mel hasn't met Mr. Jagger yet.
The man on the phone tells Mr. Beli that this thing is one big pain in the ass, and Beli responds by saying he is not a proctologist.

My question is this, why is the voice on the phone different on the later ABKCO reissue of the film than the original film? Was it a legal issue? And which voice is the real voice, the original film or the ABKCO re issue?

Thanks for the answer if you have one. I asked Albert Maysles this question last year and he had no idea two different voices were used.But you were in the room ,its on film, so I'm hoping you can tell me.

Regards

Larry

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: October 8, 2009 21:24

WoW! More stories please, please, pretty please!

Date: October 8, 2009 22:28

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-09 17:12 by straycat58.

Re: Another Question for BMUSEED - Ron Schneider
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 8, 2009 22:40

deardoctortake1
I also have a question for Mr. Schneider, and thanks so much for your contributions here.They are fantastic.

For many years now I have always wondered about a segment in the Gimme Shelter film. Mr. Schneider, you were in the room in this scene so maybe you can help.
The scene is where Mel Beli is talking to someone on the phone in San Fransisco. He tells the person on the phone that you and others are in the room( the camera goes on you ) and trying to get the concert organized, but Mel hasn't met Mr. Jagger yet.
The man on the phone tells Mr. Beli that this thing is one big pain in the ass, and Beli responds by saying he is not a proctologist.

My question is this, why is the voice on the phone different on the later ABKCO reissue of the film than the original film? Was it a legal issue? And which voice is the real voice, the original film or the ABKCO re issue?

Thanks for the answer if you have one. I asked Albert Maysles this question last year and he had no idea two different voices were used.But you were in the room ,its on film, so I'm hoping you can tell me.

Regards

Larry

Hey! Great minds think alike! I've wondered this since the ABKCO version came out.
The campy-sounding guy. The original was one of the funniest bits in there.

Date: October 9, 2009 00:58

hmmmmmmmm... first re: the songs that were to be covered for tour--my memory had them as Wild Horses and Brown Sugar, now my memory may be wrong and could have been two other songs ( I have the agreement with the Maysles that said they would cover 4 songs) or the Stones changed the set for the night and didn't do them (the sets were decided minutes before the show...)

Second: the voice..I hadn't heard that one before nor have I paid any attention to the various releases-I know a new one is coming out for the 40th anniversary (I'm doing these recollections now before the memory totally goes). I know in the original, the voice always sounded like a bad overdub--I believe it was Carter from the speedway--if anyone can pull that audio and post it somewhere, I can try and figure it out or I will speak with ABKCO...I am not heard much since I hate my voice and didn't want to be recorded so I cursed a ton, which, gave us a bad rating so they had to cut my '@#$%&'n dialogue...in that segment the only thing you hear from me is the amount of cars that can fit in the designated parking..
At some point I will go into the Belli part...just to make a point.. Belli said that we were his top priority and had the 'big' office in front and that in the back office he had the Manson people....and another point... he wanted us to stay at the original location and as he said, "let them try and get hundreds of thousands of people to move..", basically telling us to break the law..

Date: October 9, 2009 01:12

Rome!! and Brian..
I was involved with Rock and Roll Circus... the original shoot lasted until the wee hours of the morning and when the Stones went on, they were exhausted. They did not like their segment and wanted to reshoot. We came up with the plan for their segment to be shot at the Coliseum in Rome. We got the permissions and flew there with Michael Lindsey Hogg to scope the possibilities...Everyone usually has this image of the Colisium being similar to any outdoor sports arena and that was the concept of the shoot..but.... when we arrived and went inside we found that it wasn't a flat field but all catacombs and with that Michael Lindsey Hogg said..."I don't know how to shoot this" and everything was canned until 1996 when the old footage was gathered by ABKCO (Robin Klein) and reedited and released.

Ahh Brian..I remember when he got the dulcimer and used to sit and compose. Prior to his dying (or murder) he was into African drumming and was working on a different kind of music. there is a sweet shot of Brian playing monopoly on my site as well as a shot of all of us at Ondine's after the Ed Sullivan show.. Brian is bandaged because he got pushed thru the glass door of the theater while we waited for them to unlock the door..

Date: October 9, 2009 01:35

Mr. Schneider
thanks for your response regarding the voiceover in Gimme Shelter.
If you pm me with your email address, I can send both takes as an mp4 file, or I can post it here as a yousendit file.
thanks
Larry

the2000man1@aol.com

video/audio clips for BMUSEED - Ron Schneider
Date: October 9, 2009 01:59

[download.yousendit.com] original Gimme Shelter video clip audio only

[download.yousendit.com] re issue Gimme Shelter DVD clip audio only

Mr. Schneider, hope this helps you figure out the voice change
thanks again for all your inputs here

Larry

Re: video/audio clips for BMUSEED - Ron Schneider
Date: October 9, 2009 02:48

Got them... I will review and post..thanks..

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 9, 2009 02:59

great stuff bmuseed, thanks for the info and for keeping an open mind i what may have happened to brian

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 9, 2009 03:15

Larry, I've been curious about the same thing for years, thanks for posting those clips -- I'd like to get some answer on this as well. How could Maysles be unaware of the change I wonder?

Date: October 9, 2009 03:24

When Brian got busted for pot, he didn't want to go home. I was at the London Hilton and reserved a room without telling them who it was for. I got Brian into the room and went to my room and got into the bathtub for a soak..while in the tub I got a call from the hotel management and they were freaking that Brian was there. I freaked back at them and 6 suited hotel exec types came into my room..great opportunity to jump out of the tub naked and scream at them..they left and Brian stayed.. I went back up to his room (I got dressed first)and actually held his hand as he fell asleep. The next day I was in a meeting with 4 barristers and a queens counsel (UK attorneys)..we were sitting and talking all business like and Brian walked into the room and came over and kissed me on top of my head..The lawyer's mouths dropped open and they just stared...
I have a photo and signature from the 1965 tour book from Brian. It's posted in the photo gallery of my Brian images..If you look closely you will see a poem and drawing that Brian did for me..the poem would require a lot of back story..the drawing --not so much.. the title of the drawing that he did and titled is... Star of Hawkeye...to be continued....

Date: October 9, 2009 04:38

Bmuseed, I did not realize how far back your involvement with the Stones goes. Re. your relationship with Brian. I think this is absolutely incredible to be hearing first hand accounts from someone who knew Brain Jones.
It seems everyone here has their own areas of fascination, (with me it's is Europe '70 and UK 71 e.g.) and I don't want to go overboard with the questions here. But ...man! Can you tell us more in the future?
Great tales; thank you.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 9, 2009 09:21

>> I know in the original, the voice always sounded like a bad overdub--I believe it was Carter from the speedway <<

just in case it helps remember the scene: unless the sequence of events was altered for dramatic purposes,
the discussion at that point in the film is about Sears Point Raceway.
Carter had not yet turned up with his offer of Altamont Speedway.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: October 9, 2009 10:09

Ron- Thank You for sharing these great stories.

Date: October 9, 2009 11:01

Fascinating stuff, Ron - thanks for the glimpse back into those heady days......

Date: October 9, 2009 11:13

deleted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-09 17:11 by straycat58.

Date: October 9, 2009 11:45

deleted.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: October 9, 2009 13:13

Hi Ron!

I was wondering something regarding one of your posts. Regarding the photo of Brian with a bandaged hand at Ondine's after the Ed Sullivan appearance: do you remember which Sullivan appearance would this have been? Also, In the story about Brian staying at the Hilton after his bust, is this his first or second bust?

Rob

Date: October 9, 2009 13:30

deleted

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 9, 2009 15:55

i don't care if Ron is right or wrong...remember it is a lazy 40+ years ago !!!!! Do you guys remember what year this & that happened more than 5 years ago ?? I know i don't ! I hardly remember what happened 1 year ago...

Thanks Ron.

In any case, Ron - did you attend the Altamont concert?
If so, any thoughts/memories you'd like to tell us?
Did you speak to Mick J after the show? His thoughts/directions he may have told you?
Did you go along to England with the band in December 1969 and attend the Saville/Lyceum shows?

Many thanks...and let us know if you want us to direct questions to your e-mail instead of this forum.

ER

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home