Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
O/T: Roger Daltrey
Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: October 6, 2009 03:39

I obtained a ticket to his first solo show this Saturday. "Meet & Greet." I received an "Important Alert" e-mail message today from Ticketmaster advising no "Meet & Greet" (was advised that "we are no longer able to offer the Meet & Greet in its entire package for this event)." Got general admission instead, rather than preferred seating, and the etc. What's with that? Too bad, because I was looking forward to it, and now I am not going at all. I got a full refund instead (except for CDN $4.35 in Ticketmaster service charges)

Re: O/T: Roger Daltrey
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 6, 2009 04:04

I'm not going either. It's not because he won't meet. It's not because he won't greet. It's because he can no longer be trusted to make it through to the end of the show, or even to the end of the first song, with his voice intact.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: October 6, 2009 04:10

Does he atleast swing the mic around still? that's gotta be worth, what, 5 bucks?

Date: October 6, 2009 04:19

@#$%&
Does he atleast swing the mic around still? that's gotta be worth, what, 5 bucks?

Although younger fans (anyone under 40) may be puzzled by the sight of a microphone dangling at the end of a wire, yes, he still does that.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 6, 2009 04:36

I must admit I couldnt stand the guy ever since his mid-80s hairstyle.
It stills gives me the creeps and nitemares...

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 6, 2009 05:05

Simple: You do the Meet & Greet before the show.

Were Meet & Greets canceled for ALL the shows?

Maybe there was a misunderstanding between tour producer and local promoters trying to figure out the VIP pricing and if the VIP tickets were "Artist Holds" at a particular price and then marked up without the promoter getting a cut?

Ticketmaster has a history of bad settlements in dealing with promoters and the ticket auctions they operate on the ticketmaster website. Try being a local promoter who sold XX tickets on auction through ticketmaster and now the artist wants their cut from the auction, but makes it hard when Ticketmaster won't pay out. A bit hard to explain to a band tour manager during settlement why you are paying them less than what the Ticketmaster manifest shows.

Overall, I would assume it's for financial reasons why the Meet & Greets were canceled.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 6, 2009 06:03

tatters
I'm not going either. It's not because he won't meet. It's not because he won't greet. It's because he can no longer be trusted to make it through to the end of the show, or even to the end of the first song, with his voice intact.

Exactly. He can't sing anymore. Period.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: squando ()
Date: October 6, 2009 06:42

His voice ain't what it used to be but I saw the Who 6 mths ago and he was in fine form as was Pete. Got alota time for the guy too.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: October 6, 2009 07:07

I haven't heard a single Who show in the last 20 years where his voice could make it through the night, and I've heard PLENTY of them! If someone has examples to the contrary, please cite dates and locations, I'll be sure to look them up online.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 6, 2009 09:24

Yeah the old guys is moving on...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 6, 2009 16:13

I remember how great those two sounded at the 9/11 show only 8 years ago. Saw a recent concert on TV and was amazed how poor he sounded. Everything was in a lower key to help him, but still didn't sound like he could cut it.

Doesn't diminish anything he's done in the past, but I guess there comes a time to hang it up.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 6, 2009 16:37

Don't sound to bad to me!

Daltry on Ellen

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: October 6, 2009 16:44

I remember being impressed by their Live Aid II show. I thought they were much better than many younger bands.

Date: October 6, 2009 17:37

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: October 6, 2009 17:40

ablett
Don't sound to bad to me!

Daltry on Ellen

If you needed any more proof his voice is shot, just listen to this clip.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: turd ()
Date: October 6, 2009 17:45

He looks very manicured in this youtube clip - his granny glasses make him look chubby.
Voice sounds not too bad, he didn't make the last note though..
His backing band sound really good - drummers superb.

Date: October 6, 2009 21:40

I get it that time moves on, and your values change. And I can even see it where someone on purpose goes against the grain, just to make a point, or to un-make a non-point, whatever..Coolness is a very tricky subject.
But being a rocker, a singer in a rock band is all about coolness.
So I just don't get it why he has to wear those particular glasses, and put a bowl on his head before he cuts his hair.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: October 7, 2009 01:30

baxlap
I haven't heard a single Who show in the last 20 years where his voice could make it through the night, and I've heard PLENTY of them! If someone has examples to the contrary, please cite dates and locations, I'll be sure to look them up online.

You should get hold of the DVDs for the two shows they did in Liverpool in July 2006!!!

...brilliant from start to finish, including Roger's voice.

Date: November 5, 2009 18:03

A recent sampling from the Daltry tour.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 5, 2009 18:28

I think he looks great for a 66 year-old geezer.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: November 5, 2009 18:55

Another hero from the glory days who doesn't know when it's time to say goodbye. sad smiley
Sad, sad, sad!

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 5, 2009 19:45

Damn, he sounds TERRIBLE on Baba O'Riley.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 5, 2009 21:20

This could only be a parody. It´s really sad if this is meant to be serious...

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: November 5, 2009 21:36

Leave Roger alone Dammit! Everybody has an off night now and then. He made some of the best music in the history of Rock during his career and for that he deserves a lifetime pass for any minor infractions like those mentioned above. You should all kneel down and kiss this Rock Gods feet every chance you get! Blasphemy I say! BLASPHEMY !

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: November 5, 2009 21:48

I want to comment on something else not mentioned above: Unless he has Rabbit on keyboards I would not want the original synthesizer basic rhythm pattern of Baba O'Reilly (and the like) as Who-samples in a Daltrey concert. It's ok for me (and I really would go to see him 'solo' as some 20 years ago a Daltrey/Entwistle tour of Germany was cancelled) that he plays Who songs but they should differ! I have seen Daltrey play guitar on recent Who tours (actually he was the Detours lead guitarist if I recall correctly!) which might be one way to differ him from the next Who tour (and he did very well!).

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 5, 2009 23:12

I believe Keith once said, "if you ever want to torture me, lock me in a room and have Roger Daltry sing to me"

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 5, 2009 23:23

Duane in Houston
Leave Roger alone Dammit! Everybody has an off night now and then. He made some of the best music in the history of Rock during his career and for that he deserves a lifetime pass for any minor infractions like those mentioned above. You should all kneel down and kiss this Rock Gods feet every chance you get! Blasphemy I say! BLASPHEMY !

Duane, I'm about as big a Who fan as you are (although that hasn't quite stretched to owning a single one of Rog's solo albums) - I saw them three times in London last year, and I'll happily go again - but from all the clips I've been watching, he sounds terrible. "Use it or lose it" indeed.

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: November 6, 2009 01:11

He sounds worse than I've EVER heard him. Absolutely un listenable

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 6, 2009 01:41

Well I've got tickets to see him in a couple of weeks - I am hoping for the best. Tickets were fairly expensive.

I've seen the WHO many times. As recently as a show @ MSG in 2002 I thought the WHO were phenomenal but Roger's voice for sure has gone down hill since that time.

Their last tour and a show in Washington, D.C., Pete said at the end of the show that Roger had been sick throughout the show and I believe him as Roger's voice was awful. In fact I think they went on stage for their next stop of their tour in Tampa and after 2 songs called it a night because of Roger's condition.

Again, I am hoping for a good show in a couple of weeks.

Date: November 6, 2009 03:14

Silver Dagger
I think he looks great for a 66 year-old geezer.

He's only a 65-year-old geezer. Date of birth: 1 March 1944.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1586
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home