Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Dancing With Mr. D
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 17, 2017 06:33

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 19:12 by hopkins.

Date: September 17, 2017 06:41

I had originally posted this thru my first using 'voice' thru the cell phone; and it was pretty mixed up; but the I'll edit that out and leave the jist of my impression:

I sort of like it more now then I did back when itcame out.
it's sort of a stretch to call it a song.
it's more like a riff that keeps on repeating for a long time. And then it goes into a Chorus, which sounds like the same riff in the same key (I think).
Well it sounds like that anyway.
To me now it's all glorious because it really is vintage Stones.
no it's not much of a song.
sure it's professional it's very well produced.
it's atmospheric and dramatic.
not much of a favorite to be honest. side one, track one:
I don't think that was a good idea really.
it's not great. It's not horrible.
sometimes just driving that one Riff into the ground really, really works to ephinany.
On some eExile stuff, it's just One Riff, and that's all they need
and that's all I need. At least Stones Style.
dance little sister; that one really works for me.
silver train too.

I like it; it sounds great and is precious to me, looking backward,
but does remain cartoonish imo, compared to a whole LOT of their other songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 19:21 by hopkins.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 17, 2017 06:44

hopkins
I sort of like it more now then I did back when itcame out.it's sort of a stretch to call it a song. it's more like a riff that keeps on repeating for a long time. And then it goes into a course which sounds like the same riff in the same key I think. Well it sounds like that anyway. To me now it's all glorious because it really is vintage Stones no it's not much of a song .sure it's professional it's very well produced. it's atmospheric and dramatic.not much of a favorite to be honest.thanks for being side one track one I don't think that was a good idea really.it's not great. It's not horrible.sometimes just driving at one roof into the ground really really works to eat piffany! Or ephinany if you're not a frickensian robot phone. Nikon some exiled stuff it's just one wrist and that's all they need and that's all you need. At least Stones Style. my dance little sister that one really works for me.silver train to.too.but in gotta get a grip and dancing with mr. d it just seems to go on and on anyway that doesn't engage me though grip lyrics are much much better.

are we going to have to take that syntax generator away from you again, hopkins-san?

Date: September 17, 2017 07:44

LongBeachArena72
hopkins
I sort of like it more now then I did back when itcame out.it's sort of a stretch to call it a song. it's more like a riff that keeps on repeating for a long time. And then it goes into a course which sounds like the same riff in the same key I think. Well it sounds like that anyway. To me now it's all glorious because it really is vintage Stones no it's not much of a song .sure it's professional it's very well produced. it's atmospheric and dramatic.not much of a favorite to be honest.thanks for being side one track one I don't think that was a good idea really.it's not great. It's not horrible.sometimes just driving at one roof into the ground really really works to eat piffany! Or ephinany if you're not a frickensian robot phone. Nikon some exiled stuff it's just one wrist and that's all they need and that's all you need. At least Stones Style. my dance little sister that one really works for me.silver train to.too.but in gotta get a grip and dancing with mr. d it just seems to go on and on anyway that doesn't engage me though grip lyrics are much much better.

are we going to have to take that syntax generator away from you again, hopkins-san?

[youtu.be]

"Christopher Columbus did not know the meaning of the word 'fear,' He didn't know the meaning of the word 'quit.'
He didn't know a lot of words; he couldn't talk English!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-17 07:53 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 17, 2017 08:06

Mr D ...it's a cartoon rocker .... wouldn't scare a two yr old ...
but then somethang like Gimmieeee Shelter can send hot rivets up the back-bone ...

Kinda like comparing Freddy vs Jason ta Cape Fear .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 17, 2017 09:24

Date: February 11, 2018 20:11

This cut hasn't had it easy. The main criticism one always hears is about being a weak opener. Tough job.
What I like about the song is that the riff is cyclical. there's more to it than meets the eye.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 12, 2018 01:55

hopkins
I sort of like it more now then I did back when itcame out.it's sort of a stretch to call it a song. it's more like a riff that keeps on repeating for a long time.

Oh yeah! Like Start Me Up and about 4 million other Stones songs!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 12, 2018 02:30

It's not that great of a song, but you kind of have to admire the way they just say "f it" and sell it anyways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 02:31 by ryanpow.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 12, 2018 13:17

Live it works very well, particularly in the Taylor-years, but also on the last tour due to the groove. The studio-version is a little bit muffled (what instruments are in exactly?), without any direction, the Taylor-parts are too short and not prominent enough in the mix. And the repetition of the refrain ("dancing, dancing") becomes a little boring. So better produced and shorter the track would work quite good as opener of GHS.

Date: February 12, 2018 18:57

There's some great guitaring going on in this track, especially the way Keith lets the G note hangs through the next phase of the lick. Taylor's slide bits counter the main lick fantastically - and then later on, that funky distorted slide.

Nicky with that part that comes up during "the bite of a snake, the sting of a spider" is great. It's got a hint of New Orleans in it, almost a kind of counter-key at times.

The backing vocals are loose. But that lick and the snare keep steady. It's a lick and smack gear.

Date: February 12, 2018 22:34

GasLightStreet
hopkins
I sort of like it more now then I did back when itcame out.it's sort of a stretch to call it a song. it's more like a riff that keeps on repeating for a long time.

Oh yeah! Like Start Me Up and about 4 million other Stones songs!

haha thats sorta true!!
lol

but there's more a languid, or something, quality to it, rather than a
real menace, as the theme purports...

i guess sfm is two chords over and over and over...
(and THAT ONE is so powerful they don't even bother with a riff per se...)

But you're not really thinkin' 'dancin' with mr. d' is 'start me up' quality,
it's an entirely different tier...
and The Stones have a Remarkable Quantity of really Top Tier stuff...
and a Lot of that
not necessarily the most popular;
(as in some of the less
played eoms tracks fans here would love and casual fans would
not know much about)...

The Stones can deliver genuine menace and i have a dozen tracks
that can prove it.
heck i have a dozen versions of sfm that proves it..
i like mr. d, but he ain't no top dawg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 22:43 by hopkins.

Date: February 13, 2018 10:34

Here are 5 out of a gazillion Stones songs that have an A part (in this case, the verse) and a B part (the chorus):

Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Rip This Joint
Dancing With Mr D
Start Me Up

A few that don't have an actual chorus...
Summer Romance
Shattered
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Neighbours

Hey Negrita does't really have a chorus but it does have a bridge. Or a break. Or a "middle 8".

If You Can't Rock Me... I dunno if that really has a chorus - but it has a bridge. They're not a bridge in the sense of a bridge in a ballad like Out Of Tears (the slide solo is the bridge), or 'You'rrrrrre not the onnnnnnnly wuuuu-uuuuhhh-unnn' in Mixed Emotions.

Lots of 2 chord songs that go nowhere, they just amble on and on and on. So boring. It's amazing they had any hits with those 2 chorded songs that do NOTHING.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-16 02:15 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 14, 2018 12:41

GasLightStreet
Summer Romance
Shattered
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Neighbours

I wonder if they made more songs like that during the punk era, or if you just happened to choose those as examples.

I agree that many 2 chord songs are boring, but the Stones managed to make some pretty good ones. Of the above, I think She's So Cold is boring, but I love Hang Fire. Another great 2 chord song is Happy.

Date: February 16, 2018 02:16

LieB
GasLightStreet
Summer Romance
Shattered
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Neighbours

I wonder if they made more songs like that during the punk era, or if you just happened to choose those as examples.

I agree that many 2 chord songs are boring, but the Stones managed to make some pretty good ones. Of the above, I think She's So Cold is boring, but I love Hang Fire. Another great 2 chord song is Happy.

Those came to mind easiest.

Date: February 16, 2018 08:14

LieB
GasLightStreet
Summer Romance
Shattered
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Neighbours

Maybe because HF has four chords? winking smiley

Date: February 16, 2018 14:18

DandelionPowderman
LieB
GasLightStreet
Summer Romance
Shattered
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Neighbours

Am I missing the point here? None of these songs are 2 chord songs.

Date: February 16, 2018 23:15

I think YCAGWYW is mostly a one chord song.
goes from the '1' chord to the '4' chord again over and over in the verse,
which resolves dramatically into the Chorus,
with the same two chords going back and forth in the same rhythm.
I guess there's that pesky "if you try some time, you just might find..." Chord in there.
So ok, I guess that's three.
If you play in an open tuning, you don't have to finger anything at all for one of the chords.
i guess it's that 'five strings, two fingers and one @#$%&' kinda classic.
But man, it's one of the most compelling and best recordings (and songs) I've ever heard.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 17, 2018 03:32

Great song. I remember when I first heard it on the radio. Then I remember the first live version I heard on one of my dad’s bootlegs, “Nasty Music”. Blew me away. People call this a “throwaway”. Well, how many bands can say they have throwaways on major syndicated radio?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 17, 2018 14:31

Great studio.
Rather boring live in 2017

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: February 17, 2018 22:05

squando
Everything Doxa said. Insightful lad that he is.

And Dear Doctor re the below:

"if you don't like any of these albums then you really are not a true stones fan

go to springsteen or dylans sites where you may belong"

Grow the F up.[/quot

Agreed. The beatles fans can go to a beatles site

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 17, 2018 22:32

I like it: for some unknown reason it reminds me of Dr John.

Date: February 18, 2018 00:21

A whole lot of really fine stuff on Goat's Head Soup.
I think if it was re-sequenced as to track order,
it wouldn't have garnered so much of that criticism about being being the harbinger of declining aesthetic worth in their catalog,
tho I have sympathy for sone those arguing points.
But At least six of those tracks jump out at me as really worthwhile; some are stunners.
If it had kieked off with 'star' for example (tho haha it obviously couldn't have been the commercial single; but "Angie" was there for that.
I have special favorites on that album.
Not pretending that it held together as well as the previous, uh, dozen or so,
but it's far from a dismal wipe-out.
And there are some stunners.

Date: February 18, 2018 06:06

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
LieB
GasLightStreet
Summer Romance
Shattered
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Neighbours

Am I missing the point here? None of these songs are 2 chord songs.

I don't think you missed the point. Not sure where the 2 chord thing comes from. Sure, Happy has only 2 chords but... are there any others? I can't think of one.

Date: February 18, 2018 06:09

hopkins
I think YCAGWYW is mostly a one chord song.
goes from the '1' chord to the '4' chord again over and over in the verse,
which resolves dramatically into the Chorus,
with the same two chords going back and forth in the same rhythm.
I guess there's that pesky "if you try some time, you just might find..." Chord in there.
So ok, I guess that's three.

I'll remove your guess and turn it into fact:

That is three. However, with fourths in open G, where the bass goes determines the root so...

Date: February 22, 2018 02:13

GREAT track

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 22, 2018 14:02

GasLightStreet
Sure, Happy has only 2 chords but... are there any others? I can't think of one.

Happy two chords? Five in my book.

Mathijs

Date: February 22, 2018 14:19

Mathijs
GasLightStreet
Sure, Happy has only 2 chords but... are there any others? I can't think of one.

Mathijs

What's the fifth? I get four (if I count the two suspended chords) smiling smiley

Date: February 23, 2018 00:10

Mathijs
GasLightStreet

Mathijs
Incorrect

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 23, 2018 15:31

hopkins
A whole lot of really fine stuff on Goat's Head Soup.
I think if it was re-sequenced as to track order,
it wouldn't have garnered so much of that criticism about being being the harbinger of declining aesthetic worth in their catalog,
tho I have sympathy for sone those arguing points.
But At least six of those tracks jump out at me as really worthwhile; some are stunners.
If it had kieked off with 'star' for example (tho haha it obviously couldn't have been the commercial single; but "Angie" was there for that.
I have special favorites on that album.
Not pretending that it held together as well as the previous, uh, dozen or so,
but it's far from a dismal wipe-out.
And there are some stunners.

I've always thought that GHS is an album that you really have to be the mood to listen too.

When you are in the mood , it's great.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home