Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Dancing With Mr. D
Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 6, 2009 17:32

Me too

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 6, 2009 18:31

It may not be a 'great song' - but I think it sounds fantastic.
It IS just a wonderful riff. A wonderful riff doesn't mean a wonderful song - but there's a wealth of other sounds - piano,Taylor's lead - that creates an elevating, liberating atmosphere.

Lot of care went into it. They made a silk purse out of a sow's ear! Now, there's an accomplishment.

Daft to compare GHS with the 'big 4'. They took an interesting step sideways - and who can deny them the right to go experimenting in sound, atmosphere and styles after the previous fabulous foursome.

If they'd produced anything this good in the last 20 years we'd be hailing it as a latter day classic.

Frankly they can't pull this sort of thing off any more.

So cherish it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-06 18:33 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 6, 2009 19:37

The whole parody thing, sometimes I get the feeling that they did it on purpose. The whole Satan thing with Mr D is a wink and a nod as well as having fun with the fire and brimstone point of view. Making fun of their reputation in a very oblique way.

Why not?

Eh, well, why? for some people.

I dunno. You be The Rolling Stones in 1973 and get back to me.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 6, 2009 20:28

Never heard the 'self parody' label applied to Mr D or to anything off GHS - Although SF might appear 'guilty' - it was an obvious satire/pisstake and not meant to be taken seriously.

I remember the term 'self parody' started to be applied, and rightly imo, to much of their next album - where they were attempting to regain their rock credentials but falling far far short of their previous (up to Exile) standards, with really contrived and shallow stuff like IYCRM, DLS and IORR itself.

GHS was mainly, with one notable exception, an exporation of new territory. They were (the two Micks and Charlie mainly) extendimg their ranges - stylistically and sonically.

The exception being @#$%&. OK maybe Silve Train too - but it does sound so fresh an lively.

Admittedly, Mr D doesn't break new ground lyrically or thematically - but his vocal style and range has developed and I can enjoy the tone of his voice in context of the swampy music. It all seems to blend/mesh work somehow.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 6, 2009 20:40

I don't think it worked particularly well as an album track, but once they were given time to work on it, the live performances were simply out of this world.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: October 6, 2009 21:55

Great, they were inspired by all the reggae on jamaica. Offcourse its not a reggae song, but it has the open relaxness of the reggae. i read this somwhere in an interview with keith, dont know where.
I can hear this in it. great!!

Posted by: kingkirby ()
Date: October 6, 2009 22:15

Wasn't it Lester Bangs who really put the boot into GHS, and this album in particular? And without retracting it later, like he did with Exile...

It's a great album but I do think this is one of the weaker songs on it, and a fatal choice for first song on side 1 - If they'd started with Heartbreaker, which is a outrageously funky song, people might have been better disposed to what they seemed to be trying to do on this album...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 6, 2009 22:22

I always thought Mick was saying "You're dead" at the beginning. It's up there with the opening of "Child of the Moon" - we'll probably never really know.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 6, 2009 22:26

>> I always thought Mick was saying "You're dead" at the beginning. <<

Ian McPherson (timeisonourside.com) has it as "get down" - works for me!

as for Child of the Moon, i thought it had been established that it's "i don't even have enough to pay my bleedin taxes!" :E

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 7, 2009 00:26

"Yawdidaht" does not sound like "get down" to me.

Yeah, one edit - I misspelled me. That kind of day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-07 00:26 by skipstone.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 8, 2009 01:45

One of my all-time favorite songs - I love the lyrics. GHS a very underated album!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 19, 2010 14:40

When I first heard this track, my reaction was "WTF"??? Didn't like it at all. But as I gradually became aware of the ethereal, otherworldly majesty of GHS, this track began to grow on me too.

With such a lethargic and odd sound, Dancing with Mr D inevitably doomed GHS to critical failure. But to me, it's become an integral part of an album that is about trying to find a bit of joy, or at least meaning, in the midst of overwhelming sadness ... coming down again, hearing the music, and boarding the silver train despite how cold and heartbreaking the world may be.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-19 18:28 by drewmaster.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: September 19, 2010 18:23

great song!

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: September 19, 2010 18:59

The brussels 73 live version is one of the meanest nastiest sounding songs they have ever done I absolutely love it.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 19, 2010 20:32

Barn Owl
I don't think it worked particularly well as an album track, but once they were given time to work on it, the live performances were simply out of this world.[/quote. I agree with this. The guitar sound of Keith in Brussels Affairs is pure magic : the 2 rough riffs just before the beginning of the song in BA is as you perfectly writes pure moment of happines and magic. Taylor at his peak .

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 20, 2010 00:25

Play it live.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 20, 2010 01:32

marcovandereijk
B-side of the Doo doo doo doo doo Single in the US.

Played live about 27 times during the 1973 European Tour. Never since.
Here's Birmingham:

edils no rolyaT s'tahT :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-20 11:36 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 20, 2010 10:22

I have always loved this track. I don't know whether Mr D was a parody or not but it has always struck me as the first time that they wrote a song to deliberately play up to their satanic reputation 'oh we need another Sympathy' sort of thing.

GHS was the first Stones album I bought so I do have a soft spot for the whole album. Mr D is a particular mainly because of the sleazy groove and the lyrics but also because 'Lord, have mercy, fire and brimstone, I was dancin' with Misses D' always makes me smile.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 20, 2010 11:21

let me clear something up-the D stands for DEATH not the devil.the song is about dancing with death."the bite of the snake ,the sting of the spider" looking down a 44...drinkin belladonna..

there is no "self parody,this record is a classic.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 20, 2010 14:54

I agree with Doxa, and Fingerprint File is another example. They had gone from earthy meaningful music - to this.

I can still listen to DWMrD, but you have to be a real fan to appreciate it. It's not the sort of song that you would play to a non-Stones fan.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 20, 2010 15:37

stoneswashed77
love this song and ghs is one of my favourite albums. i also like the production of the record very much.

I agree 100%. I love to mood MrD sets.

Date: September 20, 2010 16:40

WeLoveYou
It's not the sort of song that you would play to a non-Stones fan.

I don't agree. In fact, (to me) there's no such thing as "the sort of song" I would "NOT play to a non-Stones fan".
I think the groove & shake & rhymes & beat & melody & ... of this track, as well as so many other ones, would be eye-openers to non-Stones fans;
those poor b*st*rds that are stuck with only warhorses on compilation albums & classic rock radio stations & ... modern day Stones gigs, yes indeedie!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: Mooseman ()
Date: January 29, 2011 12:13

Great song

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 29, 2011 15:35

Doxa
A first sign of the band 'losing it'.

The song tries to reach everywhere, but leads nowhere. It is a 'dance' song: a weak, bored groove.. Tries to have riff or hook a'la 'guess what': a bored, uninspired miss... Tries to lyricwise play with their dangerous past Satanic Majestise/Sympathy For The Devil/JJ Flash-imaginery, and ends up like a sterile, bad Grimm fairytail that only gathers co-shame..

It is also the reason why GOATS HEAD SOAP will always be remained "the album that started the downhill of the 70's"- as an opener it sets the mood for the album, of which it never reaches out.

Summa summarum: (a) to be recorded over-all, and (b) to be released as an important first track, it is a clear indication that the band was really losing its direction and self-judgement. (It is funny when the Stones always get caught so easily when the 'muse' or the 'mind' or the 'heart' is not there. Just like with SATANIC MAJESTIES album before.)

It did okay in 1973 tour, but that was not due to the song, but the hotness of the band.

- Doxa

That is the reason GHS is the first let down, even if its a good record (Winter, Angie, Starbucker though better live in 1975). The rockers are not "real". Mr D goes nowhere and feels hollow and anonymous but as you said, it worked as a live song in 1973. The band could pull off anything in 1973.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-29 18:42 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: January 29, 2011 17:03

great song!

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: January 30, 2011 04:17

My audio edition to remove the center channel, leaving some backing vocals and Nicky's piano on top. Catch that funky groove!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 30, 2011 06:33

GHS is the first Rolling Stones record where I was waiting for it to be released. The song is very weak in my opinion. Admittedly it sounds decent on Brussels.

The song is like watching a TV show that you are not into and within 10 minutes you are nodding out and ready to fall asleep.

Just like If You Can't Rock Me is weak, and surprisingly sounds half-decent live. I hate quasi-monotonic rock and roll songs.

As far as the production on GHS goes, it's fine for the multi-layered stuff like Winter, but sounds thin and pale just like everything from 89 onwards sounds thin and pale because of the modern recording studio setups and techniques (I assume). Heartbreaker is a great song but could have sounded so much more ballsey and had some punch to it.

I agree that GHS was a disappointment and a sign that the Rolling Stones had jumped the shark in the recording studio. Angie was pure perfection though.

They should never have even released Dancing with Mr. D. They were caught up in themselves. Just look at the song Heartbreaker, which they decided to call, "Doo Doo....," Give me a break!

MileHigh

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 30, 2011 16:06

GHS and Mr Dancin' with D will always be special for me. Got the album for my 15th birthday in 1973 - was getting into music and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I know now there are better albums and better songs but GHS will always be a favourite as it was my first Stones album and Dancin' with Mr D is the first track

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 30, 2011 17:20

MileHigh
GHS is the first Rolling Stones record where I was waiting for it to be released. The song is very weak in my opinion. Admittedly it sounds decent on Brussels.

The song is like watching a TV show that you are not into and within 10 minutes you are nodding out and ready to fall asleep.

Just like If You Can't Rock Me is weak, and surprisingly sounds half-decent live. I hate quasi-monotonic rock and roll songs.

As far as the production on GHS goes, it's fine for the multi-layered stuff like Winter, but sounds thin and pale just like everything from 89 onwards sounds thin and pale because of the modern recording studio setups and techniques (I assume). Heartbreaker is a great song but could have sounded so much more ballsey and had some punch to it.

I agree that GHS was a disappointment and a sign that the Rolling Stones had jumped the shark in the recording studio. Angie was pure perfection though.

They should never have even released Dancing with Mr. D. They were caught up in themselves. Just look at the song Heartbreaker, which they decided to call, "Doo Doo....," Give me a break!

MileHigh

Hey! IYCRM is one of their best songs! But, you are right about the studio version. Live in 1975/1976 IYCRM is a highlight. One of the best rockers by any group.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: January 30, 2011 22:13

I always liked the rawer outtake version that's been floating around with the Mick Taylor guitar solo that was cut. Unfortunately, I've never heard a version that doesn't have audio dropouts late in the solo.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home