Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What if Satanic Majestey's Request was a huge hit?
Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 18, 2005 00:36

Would they have still gone the way of Beggars and changed their sound so dramaitcly? I would like to think so but I'm not so sure, I think that failure kind of woke them up in 68 and made them look at themselves and say "what kind of band our we?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-18 00:38 by Ket.

Re: What if Satanic Majestey's Request was a huge hit?
Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: November 18, 2005 00:40

every band changed their sound dramatically that had a psychedelic album in that time period.
look how much the beatles changed between magical mystery tour and sgt peppers (more so in just a year later with abbey road).
look at pink floyd's change from piper at the gates of dawn to the post syd barrett sounds. or even the grateful dead's output post 1968. they went from psych to country/folk basically.

satanic was only received because of the year they put it out. had they put it out instead of black and blue, or steel wheels, im sure people would have just laughed it off. i don't see how they could have kept making music in that satanic/psychedelic vain and seen any success outside of the late 60s

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 18, 2005 00:44

canadian.sway Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> every band changed their sound dramatically that
> had a psychedelic album in that time period.
> look how much the beatles changed between magical
> mystery tour and sgt peppers (more so in just a
> year later with abbey road).
> look at pink floyd's change from piper at the
> gates of dawn to the post syd barrett sounds. or
> even the grateful dead's output post 1968. they
> went from psych to country/folk basically.
>
> satanic was only received because of the year they
> put it out. had they put it out instead of black
> and blue, or steel wheels, im sure people would
> have just laughed it off. i don't see how they
> could have kept making music in that
> satanic/psychedelic vain and seen any success
> outside of the late 60s

yeah, good point! I guess the beatles made a pretty radical change in 68 as well.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 18, 2005 00:51

Actually when it was released in the US Satanic was a big hit - spent six weeks at # 2, and a total 30 weeks on the top 200. By contrast Beggars peaked at # 5 (their lowest charting studio album except for the debut) and fell off the chart after 26 weeks. Of course BB would be seen as a classic, returned to the chart for a few more weeks in 1973, and has sold steadily (more than TSMR) over the past 30 years.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 18, 2005 00:57

And as we've had these debates before, but imo Satanic is a fine album if you leave aside 'See What Happens' - the songs are good to great, with a frequently barbed, ironic (occasionally satirical) perspective that is pure Stones.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 18, 2005 01:05

Thank ya john r... ! Agree 100%.
And now we can just hope this wont be followed
by some twent postin´s on the theme of what a copy
of Sgt. Pepper Satanic is (zzzzzzzzzz);
which, alas, will be the case.

But the friggin Beatles didnt ever made a song like On With The Show.
Citadel is very Stones; as is 2,000 LYFH & She´s A Rainbow.

Probably its the sitar that bothers people.
But Gomper is as good in itself as is Within You...

Some pix from the current debated era.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: November 18, 2005 03:44

that mick & keith pic says" out on bail "when u go 2 save it ,thats right around the time mick wrote 2000 light yrs. cause he wrote it in jail

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 18, 2005 04:10

dylan went before both the stones and the beatles with a "back to basics" album, with John Wesley Harding, his first album after the motorcycle accident. I imagine that had an effect on both bands.

cc

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2005 07:31

Mexican EP

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2005 08:20

Mick Jagger - Rolling Stone No19 October 12 1968

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 18, 2005 08:29

I find it totally interesting and love it when Jagger recognizes his own heritage and history. When he doesn't pretend to play it down, to dismiss it and/or not to care about it. There is a fairly recent quote by him where he says that he rememebers every single song he and Keith have written through the years. Maybe not the entire tune but always the hook;the chorus.
Same here: I like that he is fully aware of the sequence and the dynamics of their albums. I think I can recall a piece of coversation by Jagger regarding every single album of their career. Whereas in the 70's interviews jagger would only sneer at his own output and invariably pretend like he had no idea what lay back there.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: November 18, 2005 09:56

Regarding Album sales. Beggars initially sold less than Majesties because it came AFTER Majesties, which aside from a few songs is crap. That crap attaches itself to the next album. Of course over time we now realize that is was because of the very crap on Majesties that the Stones went out and hired a real producer and went back to basics. Majesties is the Stones most embarressing moment....but it put a fire under their ass.

Conversly, and I may be wrong, but I think Sticky Fingers is still their best selling album overall mainly because it followed Beggars, Bleed and Ya's-Ya's which of course, are bona-fide masterpieces. The great music from those albums propelled people to gobble up Fingers, which on its own is a masterpiece also.

Milo, NYC
Carry the Lantern

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 18, 2005 10:24

Often this wprks in reverse too. eg "Emotional Rescue" selling well on the strength of SG.
I thought Hot Rox was their best seller. And that TY, VL also sold better than SF

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 18, 2005 10:30

"... Majesties, which aside from a few songs is crap" (MiloY above);
Ok, what songs are the crappy ones?

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 18, 2005 13:09

Sing this all together.
Sing this all together part two.
In another land. (Its there as a filler.)

I like the rest but its not really songs just good music (Lantern, Gomper, 2000 light years) which is fine but the album should have focused on that (film music or something similar) or had two really good songs, She's a rainbow is good. I mean compare it to JJF and Beggars and its crap.

Date: November 18, 2005 15:19

Milo Yammbag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Conversly, and I may be wrong, but I think Sticky
> Fingers is still their best selling album overall
> mainly because it followed Beggars, Bleed and
> Ya's-Ya's which of course, are bona-fide
> masterpieces. The great music from those albums
> propelled people to gobble up Fingers, which on
> its own is a masterpiece also.

Trouble is, STICKY FINGERS is NOT their best selling album, it just sold about 6.5 million worldwide. But I somewhat agree with your conclusion (the "because" part). Also they had a cool new label (Atlantic), of course, they had a cool new logo (the tongue), they had a cool new guitarist (Mick Taylor), Mick Jagger had a cool new wife etc

HOT ROCKS sold 7 million
SOME GIRLS sold 9 million
TATTOO YOU sold 7.5 million
VOODOO LOUNGE sold 6.5 million
FORTY LICKS sold 6.5 million

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home