Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Altamont out in december?
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: October 2, 2009 15:04

I just found this article, dated Aug.28 (I apologize if already posted):

Record companies to release Altamont recordings

Fri August 28 11.32 EDT

By Jackson Dillard

San Francisco (Reuters) -- Three executives from major record companies held a press conference this past Thursday at the Sir Francis Drake Hotel to announce a joint release of live Altamont CDs commemorating the notorious show’s 40th anniversary. The entire sets by Jefferson Airplane, Santana (both Sony/BMG), Crosby, Stills & Nash (WEA) and are slated for release around Thanksgiving.

“Oh, they’re amazing shows,” said a smirking Jerry Fielder, head of Warner Brothers A&R when asked about the performances. “What makes them stand out is the vast indifference from part of the audiences. They’re singular shows.”

“Those bands had it too easy for too long,” laughed Samuel Mullins, head of Sony/BMG distribution. “Give ‘em a bit of violence, a bit of the real world and those damn hippies suddenly becoming very un-boring. There is electricity here, some tension to the performances which makes them special.”

“Especially for CSN,” continued Fielder. “They were terrified and never talked about it afterwards, they tried to pretend it never happened, that they were never there. Well, here’s the advance copy if anyone’s interested.” Fielder helped up a plain cd case and dropped it dramatically onto the table where they were seated.

An uneasy laughter rolled through the room.

The English band The Rolling Stones put on the free concert at the Altamont Speedway in Livermore, California in December, 1969. Members of the Hell’s Angels were used for security and numerous fights broke out during the day. There were four deaths, including the murder of a black concert attendee by a member of the motorcycle club. He as later acquitted. Many see Altamont as the opposite of the Woodstock Festival held four months before and the end of the 1960s.

When questioned from the press core about the other bands that played that fateful day, the music industry moguls looked at each other. “There was a cassette copy of the Flying Burrito Brothers set that Gram had made and carried with him,” answered Mullins referring to the band’s co-founder and primary songwriter, Gram Parsons. “But, by all accounts, the whereabouts of said cassette is now unknown, presumably lost for good.”

“It was in the pocket of the jean jacket he was wearing at the time of his death,” interjected Fielder, “burned up with his body.”

Gram Parsons’ body was cremated by a friend following the singer’s death.

Said Fielder: “We’d love to release the Dead’s set, since we all agree it was the best show they ever played…”

A long haired writer for Rolling Stone sitting in the front row cut him off: “The Grateful Dead never played Altamont, that’s widely known.”

“Exactly!” shouted Mullins after which both he and Fielder broke into fits of laughter. “How awesome would that be? A Grateful Dead cd with nothing on it!”

After brushing away tears, Fielder continued, “Ah…we tired to interest Stones management into getting into this thing but there weren’t going for it. Apparently there are some hard feelings about this show over at the Stones camp. We’ve always heard rumors about a multi-track recording done that night from a remote truck parked near the stage that a bunch of Angels were sitting on, but no one can confirm this and there have yet to be any bootlegs to emerge.”

“Better than that God awful Hyde Park show,” added Mullins referring to the band’s free show five months before their appearance at Altamont.

“Purportedly, that’s how the Burrito Brothers tape was made, from that same remote truck. Gram was friends with Keith, of course, and asked him to make sure their set was recorded,” said Fielder.

The Rolling Stones had recorded several shows of their 1969 US tour and released a live lp the following year as Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out, recorded at Madison Square Garden a few weeks before their appearance at Altamont. News of a multi-track recording is a bombshell to the music world.

An English reporter from Classic Rock Magazine asked about the relevancy of these release.

EMI/Virgin’ Mary-Beth Hutchinson, who had remained silent but smiling until this point in the press conference, answered: “We feel it was time to release these recordings. We’ve all seen the film [1970 Maysles Brothers documentary Gimme Shelter] and read the stories about the tragedy, but now it’s time to hear some of the music. Let’s put the emphasis back on the music. This as an important, crucial moment in Rock History as we felt it was time.” Mullins and Fielder nodded in agreement.

“This is just the first in a series to commemorate the event,” added Mullins solemnly.

“Is this some kind of…are you guys part of a pact?” asked someone near the back.

“No,” laughed Hutchinson, “in this day and age when the music industry is in trouble, sometimes it takes a banding together in order to get some attention, to make some waves.”

While CSN and Santana management could not be reached for comment, Airplane manager Bill Sullivan issued this statement:

“Although the remaining members of the band feel this is not their best work, they do realize the necessity to keep Airplane material out there for the fans. We have no plans for anymore ‘greatest hits’ packages so this [Altamont recording] seems like the natural step.”

Sony/BMG, EMD and Warner Brothers plan for a late fall release for the cds in hopes of grabbing onto strong Christmas sales.

Re: Altamont out in december?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 2, 2009 15:21

Not a prayer of the Stones' performance being released, though.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: October 2, 2009 15:32

Not so sure. Would have sense to do an Altamont project and cut-off the stones?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 2, 2009 15:40

I wonder how old these execs are. They seem to have a lot of contempt for the artists.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: October 2, 2009 18:23

you're putting us on, right?
they talk about a 'rumored' multitrack of the Stones set as if its some kind of legend, then later discuss GIMME SHELTER which most certainly was sourced from a multitrack?

Date: October 3, 2009 01:53

straycat58
Not so sure. Would have sense to do an Altamont project and cut-off the stones?

Not so sure the whole project makes sense to begin with. Anyway, the first paragraph in the article specifically mentions 3 other acts - and further down it states that the Stones camp arent interested.

Two obvious reasons - its an event they probably dont want to be reminded off all the time, plus they have an expanded version of a live album they recorded one week earlier coming out the same month as this release.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: October 3, 2009 02:12

Was Keith even friendly with Gram in '69? I thought that they didn't really become friendly until the Exile recording sessions.

This whole article reads like it's made up anyhow.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: October 3, 2009 02:25

Keith and Gram became friendly in 67 when the Byrds were touring England. Keith talked him out of playing South Africa and Gram quit the Byrds (or so the story goes)

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 3, 2009 02:35

While CSN and Santana management could not be reached for comment, Airplane manager Bill Sullivan issued this statement:

“Although the remaining members of the band feel this is not their best work, they do realize the necessity to keep Airplane material out there for the fans. We have no plans for anymore ‘greatest hits’ packages so this [Altamont recording] seems like the natural step.”

[/quote]

This is ridiculous. No band is going to release a live album documenting a gig in which the band's singer gets beaten up. Well, I guess maybe a punk band would do that, but not a hippie band.

Date: October 3, 2009 03:14

WMiller
Was Keith even friendly with Gram in '69? I thought that they didn't really become friendly until the Exile recording sessions.

What Dr Pete says above.

the Exile sessions were actually the LAST time they saw each other.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: October 3, 2009 03:24

It's such a contradiction, The Stones love money, but won't exploit lucrative archives.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: October 3, 2009 04:55

Dr. Pete & Gazza - Thanks for clearing my memory on that. I remembered seeing a docu where Keith said that the last time he saw him was when recording
Exile. It completely slipped my mind that he was a member of The Byrds, so a couple of year window, starting at around Altamont, is how long I thought that they knew each other.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 3, 2009 14:34

>> Keith and Gram became friendly in 67 when the Byrds were touring England.
Keith talked him out of playing South Africa and Gram quit the Byrds (or so the story goes) <<

that was in 1968

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 3, 2009 15:15

Gazza
WMiller

What Dr Pete says above.

Gram was kicked out of Nellcote in July '71, but did visit the Stones in LA in early '72 and during some shows of the '72 tour. After Parsons died Keith stated that he "hadn't seen him since last year".

Mathijs

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 3, 2009 15:49

The steel guitar player on "Torn & Frayed" recorded in LA was brought in through Gram, I thought.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 3, 2009 15:54

>> I just found this article, dated Aug.28 <<

straycat58, can you give us a link to where you found this? it reads like a parody

Date: October 3, 2009 16:09

WMiller
Dr. Pete & Gazza - Thanks for clearing my memory on that. I remembered seeing a docu where Keith said that the last time he saw him was when recording
Exile.

Thats what I was referring to as well.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 4, 2009 18:35

"The Stones love money"
don't we all do?

"but won't exploit lucrative archives!"
They (= Jagger)consider the past a massive burden. But they might make an exception next year winking smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 4, 2009 23:04

with sssoul
>> I just found this article, dated Aug.28 <<

straycat58, can you give us a link to where you found this? it reads like a parody
That's what I thought too. I can't believe anyone else has questioned the reality behind the article. It reads like a total joke. Maybe people realized that and just left the thread.

The record companies would never treat Altamont and the artists in this manner, and the parts about the Stones sounds like complete bull. (And why would Gram Parsons walk around with the Burritos' Altamont set on a cassette in his pocket in '73?)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 5, 2009 00:43

dcba
"The Stones love money"
don't we all do?

"but won't exploit lucrative archives!"
They (= Jagger)consider the past a massive burden. But they might make an exception next year winking smiley
Perhaps it's not really so lucrative. We might like to see this stuff released. Does'nt neccessarily mean they will sell well.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Necessitor ()
Date: October 13, 2009 09:44

Er...are some of you guys actually taking this seriously?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 13, 2009 14:58

I do not feel the Stones would put this out but ABKCO might try!!

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: October 13, 2009 20:05

This was written by somebody with too much time on their hands.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: October 13, 2009 20:11

Perhaps the Bay Area IORR-ians should plan a trip to Altamont this December? (December 6th is a Sunday).

I live about 20 minutes away - might be difficult to find the exact spot where the stage was.

Anyone interested?

[maps.google.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 13, 2009 20:46

Would then definately prefer Brussels Affair on an official Live CD. If it had been filmed, then a DVD as well.

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: October 13, 2009 20:53

Good question, where was the stage? Can the satellite image compare to any views from the film?

[maps.google.com]

And how did so many people find this place (a good hour from most of the Bay Area) on a day's notice. It was a 3 year old racetrack, Altamont wasn't the name of the town or anything, I always thought is was more south...must have been good radio info back then!

Date: October 13, 2009 21:00

slew
I do not feel the Stones would put this out but ABKCO might try!!

Unlikely they'd be able to.

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: October 14, 2009 01:08

Mathijs
Gazza
WMiller

What Dr Pete says above.

Gram was kicked out of Nellcote in July '71, but did visit the Stones in LA in early '72 and during some shows of the '72 tour. After Parsons died Keith stated that he "hadn't seen him since last year".

Mathijs

Keith said in R.S. Mag he met Gram in London 1968.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1835
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home