Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rhino Records no longer exists
Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: September 25, 2009 12:26

A shame if truth: I read it in Steve Hoffman forum:
[www.stevehoffman.tv]

I always believe that someday the Stones could work with the fantastic team that made the Rhino Deluxe editions.... That Let It Bleed book don't sold many copies also...

A shame (so many LPs and CDs made by Rhino in my home...)

Re: Rhino Records no longer exists
Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: September 25, 2009 13:08

I wish Abkco would put out their Cds the way Rhino did. Rhino did a great job packaging their Cds - booklets, rare photos, outtakes, etc, etc.

Rob

Date: September 25, 2009 13:42

Oh man - that is indeed bad news. Rhine is a name that I have trusted implicitly. I will always buy their releases. Damn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-25 13:54 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 25, 2009 13:49

Mick's Greatest Hits was by Rhino?!

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: September 25, 2009 14:02

JJHMick
Mick's Greatest Hits was by Rhino?!
Yes indeed. I am hoping that someone else will pick up the existing Rhino slack.

~Ben

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 25, 2009 14:23

Rhino as in the outfit behind the Doors CD's? I'd better quickly and quietly pick up the last few of the 40th anniversary remasters.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 25, 2009 14:30

Their homepage is still online...means of course not much.
If true the Doors Live In New York 6 CD set due out November has to be cancelled ?

But I donĀ“t buy an I Pod instead !

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 25, 2009 14:30

sad smiley

Is This the End of the Rhino Records We Know and Love?
Earlier today, Warner Music Group announced that they were laying off 30 to 40 people from Rhino Records, citing a "fundamental transformation of the physical new release and catalog business."

What this means for the catalog giant is unknown. The first problem is that we don't know if 30 to 40 people is 3%, 30% or 50+% of their workforce. What we do know is that the statement released by Warner Music Group, the owners of Rhino, does not seem encouraging for future releases of deep catalog products. From a Variety article:

Company said Rhino will evolve into an entity that "handles WMG's global digital catalog initiatives, film, TV, vidgame and commercial licensing, and name and likeness representation for legendary artists."
There's no mention of CD releases there, just "digital catalog initiatives."

Now, we know that Rhino has been getting a little less aggressive in the release of deep catalog items in the last few years, but there have still been a number of fine sets out of the company. It would be a shame if one of the big manufacturers and distributors of veteran artist products were to suddenly turn its back on a still consuming older crowd.

[mog.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2009 14:33

...........SAD.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: September 25, 2009 14:47

I think one year ago there are some infos talking about a new re-release of the Faces CDs, this time with 4 bonus tracks each CD (I have the tracklisting somewhere).
The Box Set of the Faces was also made by Rhino... great work.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 25, 2009 15:01

Now that's a shame, if true.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 25, 2009 15:23

Bloody tragedy, is what it is.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 25, 2009 16:33

Sad news for old folks like us who, for some reason, have these fetishistic attachments to tangible, physical objects, like CDs and LPs. Young people, who make up the majority of the music-consuming public, don't seem to have these kinds of attachments. If they're not interested in buying CDs, then CDs won't be manufactured or sold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-25 16:48 by tatters.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 25, 2009 16:44

: ( My dream job was to work for Rhino. Just about the finest label on the planet.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: September 25, 2009 16:48

You can also blame it partly on the general down economy.

~Ben

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 25, 2009 16:55

Man, I always loved this company - can't say that about many others. They always placed the music and the fans first. Anything we can do to help save Rhino?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 25, 2009 17:15

This is a disaster.

Not just for fans, or the industry. But for Rock Music.

How far can it go forward without any sense of the past?

Sure, people will be able to find things online...but Rhino was brilliant at pulling things together and making sense of it all. They excelled at finding the forgotten songs that slipped through the cracks, and the obscure great material that never saw the light of day.

You look at a compilation like The Big Ol' Box of Soul, and the packaging concept was so clever and spot-on... The people at Rhino LOVED music, and it really showed.

This news makes me sick.

Date: September 25, 2009 17:33

agree...its a disaster..

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 25, 2009 17:43

BrianJones1969
You can also blame it partly on the general down economy.

~Ben

I agree, however, the Commissioner will purchase more Citigroup. It's a personal war.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 25, 2009 19:15

rhino did it righto. bill inglot should be enshrined somewhere....

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 25, 2009 20:03

Rhino was a great r-issue label but unlike their British counterparts ACE ( who they seemed to have a good working relationship with) compromised their indepandance and unfortunatly seemed to have payed the price. Great Shame. In general they did it right.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 25, 2009 20:09

Real shame and a big loss.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 25, 2009 20:18

What about Bear Family recordings? Nice job there too.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 25, 2009 21:19

Bear Family of course do a great job, but to me its more they seem more of a curator of archivist, those multi volume multi CD sets can be a bit of overkill. I have the Louvin' Brothers one ( who i love) but after 73 takes of "christian life" HELP. Still an important and vitaljob well done. ACE and the sadley departed Rhino seem to be more about putting together something that has both integrity and a fun listening experience.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: September 25, 2009 21:22

Wow, this is devastating. I ordered the 2-cd deluxe reissue of Chris Bell's 'I Am the Cosmos' from them a month or two ago and I just receive an email every week or so saying it's still on back order. Also, Rhino were reputed to have bought a Stooges live set from 1970 (Ungano's, New York) recently from Danny Fields so I wonder what'll happen to that now.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 25, 2009 22:20

Too bad - another one gone! (if true)
I was just going to order that Chris Bell CD...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 25, 2009 23:45

God cant really imagine collecting "records" past two decades or so w/ out Rhino...very sad, as the label restored an awful lot of great music to print...

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: September 26, 2009 00:00

I just recieved Mojo 192 in the mail, not read any of it yet but did notice an Ad for The Rod Stewart Sessions 1971-1998 on Rhino.
There is a revue in the magazine somewhere but not had a chance to read it yet, if this news is true what will happen to new releases such as this, there must be some rational explanation , as things like this must take some planning and research.
If the lable has gone it will be a real shame , makes you wonder if lables like it will ever se the light of day again.

found this link for the Rod Stewart [www.play.com]

Ad for Stephen Stills on same page in Mojo

link from Play.com [www.play.com]

There was also a mention of Manassas Pieces, but can't find a link to it.

All on Rhino

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-26 01:01 by adotulipson.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 26, 2009 00:22

tatters
If they're not interested in buying CDs, then CDs won't be manufactured or sold.

But we have the money don't we?

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: September 26, 2009 00:46

tatters
Sad news for old folks like us who, for some reason, have these fetishistic attachments to tangible, physical objects, like CDs and LPs. Young people, who make up the majority of the music-consuming public, don't seem to have these kinds of attachments. If they're not interested in buying CDs, then CDs won't be manufactured or sold.

Sadly I think you are right, I loved my vinyl albums for years , still do , same with my cd,s I have hundereds if not possibly over 1000, but my 15 year old son never says Dad can I borrow one of your cds and if we are in the car he will switch to a radio show , sport usually.
He has no interest in music as an entertainment , he's ok with just the stuff that comes on his games, he has an I pod but rarely uses it, I got a new cellphone last month , it has a music storage facility, I asked him to install it on his laptop for me but I am still waiting , thought I might join the crowd and have some of my stuff handy, but as he is not into music nothing has happened.
The point of this I suppose is that when he starts earning money he won't be keeping Record companies afloat

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home