Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SETLIST!!! WASHINTON DC 10-3-05
Date: October 4, 2005 04:32

MCI CENTER IN DC

1. START ME UP
2. YOU GOT ME ROCKIN'
3. SHE'S SO COLD
4. TUMBLIN' DICE
5. ROUGH JUSTICE
6. BACK OF MY HAND
7. BEAST OF BURDEN
8. BITCH
9. MR. PITIFULL
10. THE WORST
11. INFAMY
12. MISS YOU
13. OH NO, NOT YOU AGAIN
14. SHATTERED
15. HONKY TONK WOMEN
16. SYMPATHY
17. IT'S ONLY ROCK N ROLL
18. BROWN SUGAR
19. SATISFACTION
20. YCAGWYW
21. JJF

LEAKED EARLY THANKS TO STONESDOUG......

"mick's my wife, and we can't get divorced"

"Alright keith, gimmie some of them women"

"And now, dressed as mick jagga........mick jagga"

AIM- ohnonotyouagainn

Re: SETLIST!!! WASHINTON DC 10-3-05
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 4, 2005 04:52

Nothing phenomenal, but it sounds like a pretty damn fun setlist to me. I mean, "Beast of BUrden", "She's So Cold", "Bitch" - plus the new stuff and the warhorses. I'd have loved it. Good on you, DC.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: October 4, 2005 05:20

The Worst and Infamy.
Great surprise!!!
Many thanks. It's good to be here - It's good to be anywhere!

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: October 4, 2005 05:30

wow the concerts over at 10 post a setlist after it happens

Date: October 4, 2005 05:44

Goddamn you guys are jaded. Look me in the eye (if you could that is) and tell me that you wouldn't have had a fun time at this show.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 4, 2005 05:47

That sounds like a killer setlist. We tend to over- analyze every title in every slot etc. But this set taken just as is, as a powerhouse of Stonecold rockers by the greatest band ever, can not be beaten. Just one after another. Wish I'd been there. My first show is coming up soon though. Looks like the sets are getting good.

Date: October 4, 2005 05:51

Once again, me and Mr. Drugstore see eye to friggin eye. It's people like this guy that made me come back to this board. Well, that and having internet access again.

Good to see you on here Chelsea - hope yr first show is a rocking one (and we know it will be)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-04 05:51 by theimposter.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: October 4, 2005 07:41

Just got back from MCI...f'n unreal!

She's So Cold was hot! Bitch was blistering! These are not two of my favorites, but I gotta admit they were quite nicely done! :-)

Back of My Hand is incredible live...Mick and Ronnie exchanging licks while Keith provides some soulful blues behind em! You haven't heard this tune til you hear it live!

Keith's set is no piss break...I'll admit to having done it in the past, but it is an absolute highlight this tour. His voice is so enchanting and the band really back him well.

Shattered kicked ass and the warhorse got most of the deadbeats in my section going as the arena went wild.

A fantastic night! They haven't lost a thing...on to Charlottesville!!!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 4, 2005 08:41

I´m sure this was a great & fab night for the attenders.
Me - always (almost) positive & cheerful - have to say I dont
can tempt forward any enthusiasm for this particular setlist
the setlist... Its too "American"; or, sooner corresponding to
the prejudge-marked image Europeans have of the Americans:
'loud', 'straight-forward', 'simplistic'.
Even typed, above, with BIG LETTERS...

Few comments, my 50 cents, for what its worth -
Comment on the setlist from far away:

2. YGMR Not the best choice. But what can one say. Sure would have worked.
3. SHE'S SO COLD Still a good pick as no 3. smiling smiley
5. RJ Surely a killer. grinning smiley
6. BOMH Ok for me as a choice. Grooooooovy, huh?
7. BEAST OF BURDEN Horrible, sorry. :-S
8. BITCH Good, but.... ...
9. MR. PITIFULL Woooooooooooooo - Woooooooooooo grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley
(pronounced & phrased like Eric Idle in "Nudge-Nudge" M. Python)
10. THE WORST, 11. INFAMY ...Seéms like we´re gonna keep ´em thruout US leg.
I wouldnt even mind if they were kept until Eur. leg.
12. MU Harmonizing well w/ BoB (no 7 above) but not w/ my taste.
Still a good song live.
13. ONNYA A fat rocker. Hope Mick´s got the vocals goin now. smiling smiley
14. SHATTERED... The ultimate American frat track. Bet it kicked monkey ass!
15. HTW 17 IORR 18. BS 19. SATISFACTION
...Too many warhordse too close to each other. The latter may have new blood; but I donno... Get rid of HTW, I´d say...
16. SFTD Seem to rock the US; keep it!! smiling smiley
20. YCAGWYW Hope its played with some new angles & arr.
21. JJF For sure a good stopper. Wasnt it? cool smiley

As noted above; I didnt see or hear this show; please you who slept nuthin
or just a few hours - how was it??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-04 11:20 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 4, 2005 08:48

I like Mr. Pitiful. The horns are really great.

Too bad Keith edited the intro to Beast Of Burden on the Licks Tour and has been using it ever since, as Ronnie did with the Shattered solo since the Steel Wheels tour.

Date: October 4, 2005 11:06

Hey babies, folks, dudes!
Seems like many of your office-lazy bums & slackers forgot
to check out last nite´s setlist, huh? smiling smiley

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 4, 2005 11:17

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That sounds like a killer setlist. We tend to
> over- analyze every title in every slot etc. But
> this set taken just as is, as a powerhouse of
> Stonecold rockers by the greatest band ever, can
> not be beaten. Just one after another. Wish I'd
> been there. My first show is coming up soon
> though. Looks like the sets are getting good.

Well said.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: October 4, 2005 11:23

Is this the actual set list or another pre-released, incorrect set list? If it is the actual set list it is very unusual for the Stones to sound check songs they didn't perform that night. During the No Security tour they occasionally sound checked songs they performed the following show.

Date: October 4, 2005 11:28

Not now. You can compare the setlist with Shidoobee & Rocks off.

Posted by: Edith_Grove ()
Date: October 4, 2005 11:54

Rank Outsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Worst and Infamy.
> Great surprise!!!
> Many thanks. It's good to be here - It's good to
> be anywhere!

you forgot : waarf warff !
lol

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: October 4, 2005 14:45

DC a great show, Mr. Pitiful the highlight....LOUD! My ears are still ringing---they were loose, but a bit sloppy, and had a couple of Near train wrecks, especially on Shattered...show in Hershey, tighter, more Rock'n'Roll , for me!

Still a good-er!

See you in C-ville on Thursday...

JR

Posted by: johang ()
Date: October 4, 2005 17:04

Just as I thought the setlist was coming around it is again Pitiful. The set list with Cloud, Rambler all down the line etc is the only decent one on this tour yet.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: October 4, 2005 17:04

I was there. Very good performance, but it never rose to greatness. I've seen them better; I've seen them worse. The four new songs and Mr. Pitiful were the highlights for me. Yeah, I'll be the one to start the fight this time- too many war horses. And I don't consider Shattered, BoB, and Bitch as "shaking it up" since all have been featured frequently on recent tours. No Brian Jones-era material (except Satisfaction- ho-hum), no deep catalogue. And YGMR is back in the set- whoopee. Not. 'Miss You' should never be played live again. Chuck Leavell is a dork and should get the boot. Bring back Ian McLagan; he seemed to do alright in '81.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-04 17:23 by Roscoe.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 4, 2005 17:32

Another boring setlist. Once again, no new songs from A Bigger Bang. Yawn!

Maybe they should just announce that they are going to play the same 20 songs in the same order in every show from now until the end of the tour so I can stop looking at the setlists and avoid the seemingly-inevitable sense of dissapointment that comes after every show. I was among the people saying "give them time, we'll get more variety" a few weeks ago, but I have to say that by this point in the tour they should be doing much better.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 4, 2005 18:04

looks like any hope of having Sway become a staple for the arenas has taken a hit. definitely another yawner setlist. but I'm sure it was an amazing show! (ain't that the party line?)

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 4, 2005 18:09

Wow, I thought they would at least keep Cloud and Rambler in the set and we'd have at least another new song in the set last night. A friend who went to the show last night called me after the show and said Mick and co. seemed almost bored when playing YGMR, Miss You and HTW. Can't these guys play other hits or do something to spice it up. Thank god I didn't make the trip for the show last night.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: October 4, 2005 18:15

Review from DC:

OK all, I was there last night, as I was at FEDEX field in '97 and '02, and MCI for both shows in '99. I have read all the threads, with sympathy, regarding the debates about setlists, etc. It all became academic (too European, just to playfully respond to Baboon Bro below - only kidding) once the Stones took the stage, and I mean TOOK THE STAGE. They were TREMENDOUS. Some thoughts and responses to BB below.

1. KR was unexpectedly great. He soloed all night and showed very little evidence of the arthritis we know he has. Yes, he had a mistake in the first verse of IORR (he was going to the 4 chord FAR too early, before Daryl walked over and calmly straightened him out. After that, Keith made IORR absolutely sizzle. Doubters would have had to concede, and I'm not even a big fan of IORR, but they kicked it, KR especially).

2. Musical flub on Shattered: the band went to the middle break while Mick was still singing the lyrics. Not to worry - he just kept singing, gave them a hand signal to do it over again, they did, and Shattered rocked.

3. YGMR: After IORR, 'officially' the next weakest concert tune according to us hardcore fans. The problem: it was fabulous live. Musically tight and driving, with thousands and thousands singing the chorus. 'Hey, Hey, they had us rockin!' Apologies for being primitive American fans. It was a giant party during this tune, and it was one of the more sedate ones last evening.

4. YCAGWYW: They've updated their performance of this in the encore, added a breakdown, got Lisa a more prominent role, and it was a huge win). Same with Miss You and Sympathy: they're doing shorter, tighter, MEANER versions, with excellent results live. KR's solo on Sympathy was GREAT.

5. Guitar sound: The tinny, overly 'clean' sound of '99 and '02 has been replaced by a deeper growlier quality both from KR and Ronnie, as many, many fans have pointed out on various threads this year. KR still uses his telecaster a lot, Ronnie is still using the same axes too, but they're louder and fuller.

6. Related to above: Chuck was down in the mix, with excellent results. He filled out the sound but was underneath KR and Ronnie, as should be the case. Bobby Keys was great on Brown Sugar.

Now to BB's comments.

Few comments, my 50 cents, for what its worth -
Comment on the setlist from far away:

2. YGMR Not the best choice. But what can one say. Sure would have worked.

Comment: per above, yes, it did work!

Hey, what about Start Me Up?! They nearly blew us all away with it. I think a lot of people knew it was coming, and STILL the crowd was going crazy, and so was the band!

3. SHE'S SO COLD Still a good pick as no 3.

Comment: Audience went wild, as did I. Reason: it was a hard, LOUD version of She's So Cold, and it worked tremendously. A huge success last night.

5. RJ Surely a killer.

Comment: Yep.

6. BOMH Ok for me as a choice. Grooooooovy, huh?

Comment: Mick played it really well, and he sang the HELL out of it. How can this guy sing so HARD at 64 years old? He's singing better today than in 1989, no doubt about it.

7. BEAST OF BURDEN Horrible, sorry. :-S

Comment: Sorry, this song nearly brought the house down my friend. Another unexpectedly HARD version of the tune, had the audience moving, and the cheers afterward were literally deafening. True story, I promise.

8. BITCH Good, but.... ...

Comment: I would agree, but it was a big, scorching version that, again, got a great reception. Do you see the pattern here? Virtually everything the Stones touched turned to gold last night, partly because of an extremely enthusiastic crowd, and partly because they played so hard they brought the roof down. Yes, Bitch worked.

9. MR. PITIFULL Woooooooooooooo - Woooooooooooo
(pronounced & phrased like Eric Idle in "Nudge-Nudge" M. Python)

Comment: Very tight rendition and popular. Mick again hit lots of strong high notes.

10. THE WORST, 11. INFAMY ...Seéms like we´re gonna keep ´em thruout US leg.

Comment: Agree with you. Not my favorites. And KR made core fans laugh by trotting out that ancient joke: 'It's good to be hear ... it's good to be anywhere.' I couldn't believe it. He sang OK, played better.

12. MU Harmonizing well w/ BoB (no 7 above) but not w/ my taste.
Still a good song live.

Comment: Agreed. Popular with the crowd, well performed.

13. ONNYA A fat rocker. Hope Mick´s got the vocals goin now.

Comment: You got it, BB, they turned the audience OUT on this one. People were jumping up and down and the whole building was grooving. This is looking like one that will be in set lists for a long time to come, and with good reason.

14. SHATTERED... The ultimate American frat track. Bet it kicked monkey ass!

Comment: Again, you got it Bro! More deafening cheers after, and even during, Shattered.

15. HTW 17 IORR 18. BS 19. SATISFACTION
...Too many warhordse too close to each other. The latter may have new blood; but I donno... Get rid of HTW, I´d say...

Comment: The problem is, they were great musically, excitedly performed, and the crowd was beside itself. Though interestingly, HTW only caused an orgasm, rather than the usual multiple orgasms, so perhaps this one should appear elsewhere in the set, or they should give it a break when they tour in 2008. Then again, everyone was singing the chorus and going nuts, so what do we want?

16. SFTD Seem to rock the US; keep it!!

Comment: Yep.

20. YCAGWYW Hope its played with some new angles & arr.

Comment: Again, you got it. A true showstopper the way they perform it now. Mick simply took the house and brought it down with this number, sang by at least 9-10,000 people.

21. JJF For sure a good stopper. Wasnt it?

Comment: Keith came out and blew everyone's eardrums apart with it. He clearly was getting deeply immersed in the B-chord itself, just strumming it hard and loud again and again, while Ronnie did his multi-B note ringing chord alongside. It was the essence of what JJF is all about. Keith was real sloppy on this rendition, but it was as if that was a worthwhile price to pay for the incredible sound of this encore.

Afterword: To give you an idea of how completely the Stones rocked this building, at least 2/3 of the audience (at LEAST) were still stomping and cheering for a THIRD encore after JJF, and remained that way for a good 5-10 minutes. They didn't know the setlist, and therefore didn't understand the show was over, and were simply blown away and wanted even more. And given the body language of the Stones as they left the stage, I wasn't totally sure they wouldn't come back.

In short, a humbling lesson for us hardcore 'analysts': screw what the setlist looks like on a computer screen. Seeing and hearing it live makes all the difference. The Rolling Stones are simply amazing.

Thanks all!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 4, 2005 18:26

Mick is 62, not 64...but what's in a number.....

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: October 4, 2005 18:42

Sorry T&A, you're right.

But I bet he'll be rockin' at 64 as well.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 4, 2005 19:01

we cant forget theres more mixing the set now .there used to be just one set list. i to would like more new ones ,(rain!)or old 100 years(thanks with soul!) any way most shows i felt so damm good. Now after all those years they still here,doing it,now with more energy rougher its just a special party every night! i jut cant believe it ,to tell you the truth its mkin me so glad! they survived,Didnt like the keith is dead shit!(real sick) also think about charlie,whats he been trough then ,bright lights big city i m playing now it makin me feel good!!!!!!! wish i was there in dc. its a risk to play this otis song, they still have the gutts, its so strange that i have the feeling i do have to defend them here rock &roll greetings

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 4, 2005 19:10

wow! this setlist is origional! Yes, I'm sure they sounded great, but what a disappointing setlist.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 4, 2005 19:14

six o clock so let it rock, still love to hear j j flash 200.000 times hell would like tha know how many times i heard this hard horse ,hot version this time!!!!!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 4, 2005 19:35

Oh, why can`t they do away with Shattered and She`s So Cold! Those songs have always sounded like punk-rock to me!

Date: October 4, 2005 21:01

Scaffer, you make me blush like a schoolkid! I´m honoured as hell to be commented in that way... Just from Swedish working desk...
I´m sure all numbers worked out just fine!! I just commented the choises, theoretically... But it seems like I hit some right notes anyway...

SMU was very hot in May 10, at the PC.

Posted by: BersaGurra ()
Date: October 4, 2005 22:53

A joke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home