Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Hendrix' sister to open the vaults
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 23, 2009 00:30

[www.spinner.com]

sorry if this has been posted before...

Re: OT: Hendrix' sister to open the vaults
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 23, 2009 00:46

"Hendrix made the Stratocaster famous. Now, 40 years after his death, Gibson is going introduce a whole line of Hendrix inspired instruments? Sure, he owned a few Flying V's during his lifetime, but this is a trivial footnote in his story.
What will be next, a Jimi Hendrix line of Wurlitzer pianos? Why not? There is s photo of him playing the piano on the inside cover of "Electric Ladyland", isn't there?"

LOL!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 23, 2009 01:26

Could´nt resist winking smiley
Found a couple of his Gibsons:

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-23 01:33 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: September 24, 2009 07:42

From what I've seen, these are Strat-shaped Gibson starter packs. (Huge WTF.)

Anyway, here's a Hendrix-with-Gibson performance that I sure would like to hear:

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 24, 2009 15:05

Janie, that's not the fastest girl on earth! Jesus it's 39 years since Jimi died and she is still keeping tapes away from us music-lovers ears.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 24, 2009 17:38

It's more than annoying to constantly read that Janie is Jimi's sister! she's NOT! damn it!

she is not even a half sister, but a step sister.
there's no blood relation with Jimi at all.
any girl from around the globe could have been Jimi's step sister.
apparently Jimi saw her a couple of times and didn´'t like her.

thanks to RocksOff's Voodoo Chile in Wonderland for pointing that out many times

Hendrix had two brothers, Leon and Joseph, and two sisters, Kathy and Pamela. Joseph was born with physical difficulties and at the age of three was given up to state care. His two sisters were both given up at a relatively early age, for care and later adoption, Kathy was born blind and Pamela had some lesser physical difficulties.

wikipedia

will she also remove the Fender Stratocaster for a Gibson on Jimi's grave?
[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 24, 2009 18:55

good clarification, she is no kin to Hendrix.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 24, 2009 20:16

<<Anyway, here's a Hendrix-with-Gibson performance that I sure would like to hear:>>

Isn't that Taylor's guitar? I recall hearing or reading Taylor saying that he was amazed when Hendrix picked up a guitar and played it upside down. I take that to mean the strings were reversed, but he managed anyway. That photo might be what he was talking about.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 24, 2009 20:27

pmk251
<<Anyway, here's a Hendrix-with-Gibson performance that I sure would like to hear:>>

Isn't that Taylor's guitar? I recall hearing or reading Taylor saying that he was amazed when Hendrix picked up a guitar and played it upside down. I take that to mean the strings were reversed, but he managed anyway. That photo might be what he was talking about.

-------------------------

I don't know where this quote is from--possibly Guitar magazine, Jimi Hendrix issue, 1988?

MICK TAYLOR:

"I remember one time in 1966 ... 67 ... I think 67 ... I played in San Francisco at the Fillmore West, and I was playing with John Mayall; Albert King was playing and Jimi Hendrix was at the top of the bill. At the end ... some guys from the Grateful Dead got together with us and jammed all night.

"One time, he came to this little club in London called the Speakeasy. It was a little club that musicians came to ... Hendrix came there anyway... it was that kind of club that musicians used to go to in the evening. He wanted to play, but there was no spare guitar... I'm right handed ...and he's left-handed...and all he did was just turn it upside-down ... It was amazing to hear someone play so well...and with the guitar backwards! Jimi Hendrix could play both ways...which is quite phenomenal.

"I've never met anyone else that could do that. It's like playing the piano backwards.... Because all the strings and notes are reversed. He seemed to be able to play equally well both ways ... which is quite phenomenal.
You can't learn to play one way...and I can't think of anyone that I've ever met who's left handed that can just turn a right handed guitar upside down... To turn it upside-down and play backwards. All the chords are reversed...and instead of bending a string.... You'd have to pull it.

"There were a few other times that I remember ...backstage at Madison Square Garden in 69 with the Stones. He came to the show, I think he was living in NY...during his band The Gypsies period...he came backstage ... and we had a little jam in the dressing room. I've actually seen some photos of that published in a magazine a few years back. I very rarely ever saw Jimi Hendrix without a guitar. He was always playing a guitar."

Date: September 26, 2009 17:49

mickijaggeroo
Could´nt resist winking smiley
Found a couple of his Gibsons:

Sure Jimi played a few Gibson's, but the upside down Fender Strat, preferably white, is the main Jimi icon, isn't it?

now look what they're aiming at.
shame on you, Gibson!

[www.premierguitar.com]

[www2.gibson.com]

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: September 26, 2009 18:39

Elizabeth Cotton was another who could play guitar any which way.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: September 26, 2009 18:44

who says they're in it for the money...

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: September 26, 2009 20:04

@#$%&

I'm sorry I'm swearing. BUT THAT IS @#$%& AWFUL. Hendrix will never ever ever ever ever ever ever have agreed to that.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 26, 2009 20:27

I believe some of you are aware that Jimi was a good friend of mine.
It is so ludicrous that decades of "lost tapes" from a man who created his music in less than four years get so much ludicrous publicity.

Jimi LOVED his Strats. But the way the Hendrix "family" do business one can't blame Fender for being leery of dealing with them. And for Gibson to go along with all this reinvention stuff is sickening.

Janie's story about having a discussion with Jimi about his guitars and Gibson is SO bogus.

Date: September 26, 2009 20:31

what you said, Stonesrule.

it is truly sickening.thumbs down

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 26, 2009 20:33

The've beeb opening the vaults since Jimi's demise.

I can play guitar equally crap left and right handed, no beg deal smiling smiley

Date: September 27, 2009 05:51

Did someone in the house mention sickening?
...and shame on you; Gibson?

blech

[www2.gibson.com]

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 27, 2009 06:59

i imagine alot of deceased rock stars from jimi's era would be pissed if they knew how they're being commercialized.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 27, 2009 07:40

@#$%&

^^^^ SHAMEFUL, CRASS COMMERCIALIZATION ^^^^

Posted by: squando ()
Date: September 27, 2009 10:20

"I'm sorry I'm swearing. BUT THAT IS @#$%& AWFUL. Hendrix will never ever ever ever ever ever ever have agreed to that."

No need to apologise for swearing Yorkie. I agree with you completely. Absolutely disgraceful.

Imagine sponging off of someone. But this person is sponging off of someone's grave. All I hope is that at least some of the money generated from this repugnant venture goes to a children's hospital or something.

But I doubt that....

Date: September 28, 2009 10:44

the stephen stills/hendrix jam is due for a 2010 release according to stills

Update: Gibson removes Mentions of Hendrix on their site
Date: October 3, 2009 00:23

Lol - 's all gone.
what a whacky idea to start off with, in the first place.
maybe the bad rap around the net helped to bump it.

Gibson has removed every trace of new Jimi Hendrix related content from their websites. The interview with Janie Hendrix is gone, along with a product page for the Baldwin Custom Hendrix Grand and the photos from the production line Gibson posted of S-style guitars being made in their USA shop.

[www.premierguitar.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 3, 2009 01:30

And I thought Alan Douglas was the king of crooks when it comes to Hendrix's heritage... eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-04 12:53 by dcba.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: October 3, 2009 09:16

Riffhard,
Where was this reported and did it say what label it will be on? The reason why I ask is because I'm curious to know if it will be Warner Brothers/Rhino release or a Sony/Eperience Hendrix/Dagger release. An earlier report from last year had Stills saying something along the lines that there was a version of "Love The One You're With" that supposedly has a Hendrix guitar part/solo in it.

Date: October 3, 2009 09:31

72stones
Riffhard,
Where was this reported and did it say what label it will be on? The reason why I ask is because I'm curious to know if it will be Warner Brothers/Rhino release or a Sony/Eperience Hendrix/Dagger release. An earlier report from last year had Stills saying something along the lines that there was a version of "Love The One You're With" that supposedly has a Hendrix guitar part/solo in it.

no details about the label yet. i know stills said he and the hendrix family would go through the tapes and if they deceided there wasn't enough usuable material for at least a 40+ minute album then he would use a few tracks on his career spanning boxset and the hendrix family would release the rest somehow. there was then an update that indeed there is enough usable material for a free standing stills/hendrix album. no mention of tracklistings yet but stills said 2010 along with his boxset and a live manassas album

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: October 4, 2009 00:23

Thank you for passing that along. It's appreciated.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 4, 2009 12:17

ghostryder13
i imagine alot of deceased rock stars from jimi's era would be pissed if they knew how they're being commercialized.

Well, all the rock stars whom survived the 60's and 70's in the end all commerciallized big time. Our beloved Stones even turned in to a Vegas act and sold out on 91210.

If hendrix could make a lot of money out of Liquid Experience I am sure he would have agreed to it, just as any other band or artist has.

Mathijs

Date: October 4, 2009 13:24

72stones
Thank you for passing that along. It's appreciated.

no problem. i can't wait to hear this and the live manassas album. i wonder what in the world will be on the stills boxset which i can't wait for. i have the crosby and the nash boxsets. i know nash (who is the archive keeper of most of the CSN stuff and helped put together the crosby and now stills boxsets) said a few months ago that stills has so many unreleased tunes that it was making it harder to figure out how to select the tracks. crosby had 2 discs of hits/known tunes and a 3rd disc of rare tunes. nash had 3 discs and basically mixed unreleased/alternate versions with the hits/known songs. i know there was talk of stills set possibly being 4 cd's put in case rhino didn't go for that they would also have a 3 disc tracklisting selected as a backup.

no clue if any of these releases will get pushed back since the CSN covers album that was supposed to be released this year has been pushed back to 2010

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-04 13:26 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 9, 2009 11:53

Here too they call Janie "Jimmy's half sister " .She was adopted by Jimmy's father so as open G wrote ,no blood relation.

Sorry ,it's in French but they say she has the Royal Albert Hall concert from 1969 Feb ,the 24th.
And also the tape when later on the 1969 ,Nov the 27 th show ,Jimmy went with Mick in an appartment and they jammed on Let It Bleed.
[culture.france2.fr]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 9, 2009 14:54

It would be nice to hear the whole RHA concert with a good mix. I´ve heard so many bad sounding versions of that concert during the years. There are a couple of good sounding songs from that concert on various live albums though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home