Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Long Lost BEATLES albums - "HOT AS SUN" + "Now and Then"/"Grow Old With Me" Vids
Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: September 22, 2009 02:07

The Long and Winding Road is one of my least favourite Beatles tunes.

Re: OT: Long Lost BEATLES album - "HOT AS SUN" (what would/could have been)
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 22, 2009 02:31

Gazza

'Free as a bird' was ok. I thought 'Real Love' was excellent. Main problem though was that in the late 70s John Lennon wasnt writing hardly any songs, let alone many great ones.

If only John had known that his private, late 1970s noodlings were going to become Beatles records he might have tried harder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 02:32 by tatters.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 22, 2009 02:54

I've always wondered what would have happened if John was around all these years. I'm sure he would have participated in the "Anthology" series, but I picture his interview segments being shot entirely separately...with no group footage of the four of them sitting around a table reminiscing (like we saw with Paul, George and Ringo). Of course I'm just speculating, but that sort of conditional participation would have been very John-like.

As for new recordings or a reunion concert/tour? I doubt it. As long as Yoko was around, he would have opted to record and perform only with her (they had preliminary plans to do a tour after the next record in 1981, as someone here mentioned).

Sad that we'll never know!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 02:55 by Jah Paul.

Date: September 22, 2009 03:12

Jah Paul
I'm sure he would have participated in the "Anthology" series, but I picture his interview segments being shot entirely separately...with no group footage of the four of them sitting around a table reminiscing (like we saw with Paul, George and Ringo). Of course I'm just speculating, but that sort of conditional participation would have been very John-like.

I think you're right. John could be a very contrary sort of guy.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 22, 2009 06:12

No he would have been a big participator. They would not have tour, because Lennon would have toured as would have Macca. But they would have played on the Anthology and done more music on it. And probably a one off show somewhere weird, or unique, as they were their entire career. They would have brought a smile and tear to millions.

Re: OT: Long Lost BEATLES albums - "HOT AS SUN" + "Now and Then"/"Grow Old With Me" Vids
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 22, 2009 08:30

I stole this tapes Ha Ha...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: squando ()
Date: September 22, 2009 09:59

Gazza is simply correct. They would never have gotten back together. Expectations would have been too much too handle; they didn't need the money and what was left to prove anyway?

They were offered apparently 250m U.S in 1976 to reunite just for a tour and knocked it back. Anyways...

Helter great album - I'd ditch "Cold Turkey" for "Give peace a chance" and add "Oh Yoko", "How do you sleep", "What is life", "If not for you", "I'd have you anytime" and "Crippled inside".

Story's also a fun read although quite dubious.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 22, 2009 10:15

I dont think whether they wrote a good or great song in the late 70s was an issue, even if they never wrote. How many bands reform and tour with new material ? and when they do who is interested in it ?
Also john had a mini revival, just before his death, both criticly and commercially with Double Fantasy. its success was dwarfed with what followed after his death, point is creative re-births are allways possible, look at Dylyn for feck sake.

Still it didnt happen in the 70s, and I domt belive it ever would. If if John was alive during the Anthology period, i dont think. the hype,expectation and speculation around a tour would have a counter effect and put them off any thoughts they may have had. Like Zepp it would only take one of them not to do it. I cant see George wanting to tour, he seemed to hate the live stage in his later years.

Date: September 22, 2009 12:17

I agree, they would not have toured, but I am certain they would have all participated on the Anthology. Another sad story from the Double Fantasy sessions.. After John confided with Jack Douglas about wanting to write with Paul again, Paul called the studio, however, Yoko took the call and wouldn't connect Paul with John.
Jack Douglas also recounts an interesting story about something that Lennon confided in with him the night of his death and he has sworn never to repeat it. What was it? Interesting to contemplate.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 22, 2009 12:29

I personally think that if John was alive, the Beatles would get together somehow. I think in the ninetees around the Anthology.

I don't want to speculate whether it would be for a couple of songs, an album or a tour. There is absoulutely no way of judging that. I think that the way the rest of the band got together for doing those two songs deserves respect, because they were aware of the fact that they were simply not the Beatles any more.

If John was alive, the situation would be very different What would the result be? Nobody can tell, I just have the feeling that there would be something more. Or maybe not. Maybe they wouldn't be even able do those two songs

Date: September 22, 2009 12:36

Jah Paul
As for new recordings or a reunion concert/tour? I doubt it. As long as Yoko was around, he would have opted to record and perform only with her (they had preliminary plans to do a tour after the next record in 1981, as someone here mentioned).

Do we know that John would be with Yoko in the ninetees? We don't of course. Another topic for speculations...That might cause a big change in relationships. We are getting too far in speculations, but why not?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 12:37 by Happy24.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: September 22, 2009 12:45

HelterSkelter
tatters
They did not record an album between the Get Back sessions and Abbey Road. In fact, the Abbey Road track "I Want You" was recorded only three weeks after the Get Back sessions concluded.

Yeah, I understand they didn't but at the time we didn't have all the minute by minute recording info - like the Mark Lewison, is that his name? book - we have now so ROLLING STONE put this kind of suspense article together that SOUNDED possible (at the time). My post has more to do with what the next 2 Beatle albums might have been like if you check out the solo singles and albums plus some Beatles bootleg/anthology rehearsals/works in progress (like TEDDY BOY, CHILD OF NATURE/JEALOUS GUY, ALL THINGS MUST PASS, JUNK, etc). This is as close as I can come with the info I have. I'm sure that HOT AS SUN article from ROLLING STONE is somewhere on the internet, someday I'll try to hunt it down......

The growing myth of the Beatles in the 70s, in the afterglow of their early demise makes for an interesting topic, really (I remember all the fuzz about the KLAATU album, mysterious it was, wasn't it? ;-)

But apart from all the speculation, I really like your tracklist a lot!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 22, 2009 14:45

whitem8
I agree, they would not have toured, but I am certain they would have all participated on the Anthology.

The fact that one of them was dead and had left a few unfinished recordings which his widow handed over to the others to be tinkered with allowed a different sense of perspective regarding the Anthology for the other three.

The air of sentimentality would not have been there had they all been around. Death tends to have that affect.

Date: September 22, 2009 15:04

Gazza
The air of sentimentality would not have been there had they all been around. Death tends to have that affect.

Yeap, it does. Plus the wounds need time to get at least partly heald. Just today I watched Macca doing A Day In The Life / Give Peace a Chance - a thing that he would not do even a couple of years back. He is probably getting sentimental. smiling smiley No really - I enjoyed his version a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 15:05 by Happy24.

Date: September 22, 2009 15:04

Naw, Lennon is a huge sentimentalist and was immensely proud of The Beatles. He would have been into it on his terms, which would have been some kind of collaboration with Macca, and the other two would have followed. I think the big question would have been George more than John. He would have been to most reluctant, but he would have buckled. BUt yeah hey the "dream is over".

Date: September 22, 2009 16:32

whitem8
No he would have been a big participator. They would not have tour, because Lennon would have toured as would have Macca. But they would have played on the Anthology and done more music on it. And probably a one off show somewhere weird, or unique, as they were their entire career. They would have brought a smile and tear to millions.

I know Lennon was talking about a tour at the time he died, but the man had horrible stage fright issues. I can't see him EVER having done a solo tour. Maybe he could have managed one or two very shaky performances, similar to the 1972 One To One benefits, and that would have been it. He would have played very little, if any, Beatles material. As for Anthology, they would have had to drag him into it kicking and screaming. Whatever they may have done together, it would have been the absolute MINIMUM that they could do. Maybe a live televsion performance of ONE song, like they did in '67 with All You Need Is Love.

Date: September 22, 2009 16:37

whitem8
I agree, they would not have toured, but I am certain they would have all participated on the Anthology. Another sad story from the Double Fantasy sessions.. After John confided with Jack Douglas about wanting to write with Paul again, Paul called the studio, however, Yoko took the call and wouldn't connect Paul with John.
Jack Douglas also recounts an interesting story about something that Lennon confided in with him the night of his death and he has sworn never to repeat it. What was it? Interesting to contemplate.

I honestly don't know but here's a wild guess. It might have had something to do with John's health. He looks extremely thin in the photos taken of him in 1980.

Re: OT: Long Lost BEATLES album - "HOT AS SUN" + (Just Added) "Now and Then"/"Grow Old With Me" Vids
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 22, 2009 16:39

As much as I longed for a Beatle reunion, anything they did would have been seen as a disappointment. Better to leave it alone. Same with Zep.

The Stones have far since passed this stage - hopefully they won't do anything to embarass themselves or tarnish their legacy (any further).

Re: OT: Long Lost BEATLES album - "HOT AS SUN" + (Just Added) "Now and Then"/"Grow Old With Me" Vids
Date: September 22, 2009 16:41

Why Beatles (and especially Paul Mc Cartney solo-posts) on a Stones forum?

Date: September 22, 2009 16:43

DandelionPowderman
Why Beatles (and especially Paul Mc Cartney solo-posts) on a Stones forum?

Why are there so many Springsteen posts? He's much less associated with the Stones than the Beatles are.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 22, 2009 17:46

Happy24
Jah Paul

Do we know that John would be with Yoko in the ninetees? We don't of course. Another topic for speculations...That might cause a big change in relationships. We are getting too far in speculations, but why not?

You're right, we don't know if John would have been with Yoko in the nineties... which is why I said, "As long as Yoko was around..." If John & Yoko did stay together, I think she would have always been his first preference re: recording and touring...but, again, who knows for sure!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 22, 2009 17:54

Boring.........................

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 22, 2009 18:22

mickscarey

Yo, Scarey... I don't come into you place of employment and rock your Slurpy Machines so please don't come on my thread and leave silly messages.... You're bored? Ahhhhhh, SO good to hear, that made my day Dude smiling smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 22, 2009 18:31

HelterSkelter
mickscarey

Yo, Scarey... I don't come into you place of employment and rock your Slurpy Machines so please don't come on my thread and leave silly messages.... You're bored? Ahhhhhh, SO good to hear, that made my day Dude smiling smiley

Great post as always. On another more important topic, Keep the health Ins. info a-flowing.

Date: September 22, 2009 18:38

beetles are botring .This is a STONES site!

Date: September 22, 2009 18:39

make that "boring" (although, who knows, that other "word" may apply). AHHAHA

Date: September 22, 2009 18:45

Yeah, mickscarey, this is a Stones site. It's not a Beatles or Aretha Franklin site at all. ONLY STONES.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 18:47 by @#$%&.

Date: September 22, 2009 18:50

Exactly! Thanks man!

Date: September 22, 2009 18:52

I was being ironically sarcastic...

Date: September 22, 2009 18:53

Huh?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1348
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home