Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Long Lost BEATLES album - "HOT AS SUN" + (Just Added) "Now and Then"/"Grow Old With Me" Vids
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 21, 2009 16:47

*** NOTE *** The YouTube Vids for NOW AND THEN (Beatles Version/Lennon Solo Version) and The BEATLES Version of GROW OLD WITH ME are at the bottom of THIS PAGE - Please scroll down, Thanks, Helter

Original Post:

I remember reading a ROLLING STONE magazine article around 1970/71 or something about some "true-but-never-meant-to-be-public" story involving the Beatles and stolen master tapes (kind of kidnapped master tapes) - anybody remember the article? So... having finished an Album called HOT AS SUN that was put together between GET BACK (LET IT BE) and ABBEY ROAD it was than stolen (the master tapes) and held for ransom. To make a long story short after a ton of money was paid the tapes were returned to Apple/EMI only to be found to be 100% blank due to airport security machines/devices erasing everything on them accidentally.... it was a nice fantasy, Helter didn't buy it for a moment but it was an interesting read in a JAMES BOND kind of way.

With these excellent Remasters just coming out it made me think, "what if the band had stayed together for a few more after ABBEY ROAD?" Not having all the time in the world lately I did take a look at the 1969 - 71 solo output and put together one double (HOT AS SUN) or 2 more single albums (HOT AS SUN and ALL THINGS MUST PASS) to see what we would have gotten - KINDA. Pretty strong output IMHO. What do you think and how would you adjust my lists (maybe some of the songs were written later than what would make sense as far as fitting on one of the albums time wise, stuff like that) So, Beatle fans, put an album or 2 together if it moves/interests you (or just adjust mine), Helter.....

THE BEATLES/HOT AS SUN:

(side one)
GIMME SOME TRUTH
POWER TO THE PEOPLE
WAH-WAH
MAYBE I'M AMAZED
ISOLATION
REMEMBER
OH WOMAN, OH WHY
HOT AS SUN/GLASSES
IMAGINE

(side two)
BEWARE OF DARKNESS
JEALOUS GUY
I'M THE GREATEST
LOVE
STEP INSIDE LOVE
ANOTHER DAY
HOLD ON
I FOUND OUT
JUNK (instrumental/sing-along)

(side three)
INSTANT KARMA
MOTHER
MY SWEET LORD
PHOTOGRAPH
JUNK
TEDDY BOY
THE INNER LIGHT
NOT GUILTY

(side four)
COLD TURKEY
WORKING CLASS HERO
ISN'T IT A PITY
EVERY NIGHT
GOODNIGHT VIENNA
THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING
ALL THINGS MUST PASS
GOD/MY MUMMY'S DEAD

2 Single albums:

HOT AS SUN - pick 2 sides
ALL THINGS MUST PASS - pick 2 sides

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 13:16 by HelterSkelter.

Re: OT: Long Lost BEATLES album - "HOT AS SUN" (what would/could have been)
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 21, 2009 17:04

never heard that story before

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 21, 2009 17:17

They did not record an album between the Get Back sessions and Abbey Road. In fact, the Abbey Road track "I Want You" was recorded only three weeks after the Get Back sessions concluded.

Date: September 21, 2009 17:47

tatters
They did not record an album between the Get Back sessions and Abbey Road. In fact, the Abbey Road track "I Want You" was recorded only three weeks after the Get Back sessions concluded.

Yeah, I understand they didn't but at the time we didn't have all the minute by minute recording info - like the Mark Lewison, is that his name? book - we have now so ROLLING STONE put this kind of suspense article together that SOUNDED possible (at the time). My post has more to do with what the next 2 Beatle albums might have been like if you check out the solo singles and albums plus some Beatles bootleg/anthology rehearsals/works in progress (like TEDDY BOY, CHILD OF NATURE/JEALOUS GUY, ALL THINGS MUST PASS, JUNK, etc). This is as close as I can come with the info I have. I'm sure that HOT AS SUN article from ROLLING STONE is somewhere on the internet, someday I'll try to hunt it down......

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 21, 2009 17:49

I remember that article in RS(when it was still a music paper) I believe they even went as far as to review it. I personally think if John had lived enough time would have passed to heal wounds and enough MONEY would have been put up that the Beatles may have done a one album/tour deal. Just my opinion. With the improvement in sound equip maybe they would not have been so hesitant to attempt it.Speaking of RS Mag I saw a "JONAS BROS"Collectors edition-PUKE! RS MAG is nothing but garbage now-complete sellout!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 21, 2009 18:00

scottkeef
I personally think if John had lived enough time would have passed to heal wounds and enough MONEY would have been put up that the Beatles may have done a one album/tour deal.

I dont believe for a second they would ever have got back together as a band.

Too much internal baggage, and more significantly, too much expectation to live up to. Something they were all aware of.

They were NEVER short of outrageously lucrative offers for reunions.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 21, 2009 18:10

Ok Helter, it is cool having fun with this story. Tatters is right, they didn't record any album between LIB and AR. I like your album, but a few of those songs could not have been on it yet. I am the Greatest, Goodnight Vienna, and Power to the People Lennon didn't write until late 70-74. Also, Oh Woman Oh Why wasn't written until the RAM sessions. I also heavily doubt they would have let Harrison put so many of his on. And sorry, but The threatles didn't like Cold Turkey, and I doubt they would have been happy to play on God. Ok so remove those and I would go with it!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 21, 2009 18:11

No Paul's "uncle albert/admiral halsey"? Trouble already started...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 21, 2009 18:17

Elmo Lewis
Yeah, ATMP is excellent. Someone posted on here a few months ago that a great album could have been made with the best songs of the 4 Beatles first solo albums. So I put together a CD and called it Beatles Next.

Among the songs

Isn't It A Pity
My Sweet Lord
What Is Life
Imagine
Cold Turkey
Instant Karma
It Don't Come Easy
Early 1970
Maybe I'm Amazed
Uncle Albert/Admiral Hulsey
Another Day

several others, but ya get the idea. Not exactly from their "next" stuff, but close enough. Woulda been a great follow up to Abbey Road and Let It Be.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 21, 2009 18:23

I strongly disagree, Gazza. Its been nearly 30 yrs since Johns passing and just like tkt prices and Athletes salaries the offers would have grown by leaps and bounds. Also who would have ever thought that Paul and Yoko would have EVER attended the opening of the 'LOVE" production together? Oh,yes if they all had lived they would have finally give in to the love that once held them together!

Date: September 21, 2009 18:30

I think you forget that even SINCE John's assassination, there have been frequent occasions where they've been involved in litigation with each other.

Plus there were more dynamics within the band than John vs Paul. George had a few issues with McCartney as well.

the 'Love' thing is meaningless. Its a stage show. Thats a world away from making a record and touring. Harrison and Lennon barely performed much as solo artists anyway, so going on a tour probably wouldnt have appealed much.

They've collaborated on various other projects too. None of them needed the money (no matter how much was offered) and after 40 years the weight of expectation was too much. What speaks volumes is that even having got together to work on some unfinished Lennon songs for 'Anthology' they elected to only release two of them. There was another song intended for release on the third volume and after the lukewarm reaction to the first two, they chose not to cash in and put it out. They knew to quit while they were ahead.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 21, 2009 19:30

Gazza
scottkeef
I personally think if John had lived enough time would have passed to heal wounds and enough MONEY would have been put up that the Beatles may have done a one album/tour deal.

I dont believe for a second they would ever have got back together as a band.

Too much internal baggage, and more significantly, too much expectation to live up to. Something they were all aware of.

They were NEVER short of outrageously lucrative offers for reunions.

This is probably true, I only wonder if they would have changed/evolved and understood this is bigger than them.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 21, 2009 19:53

Gazza
I think you forget that even SINCE John's assassination, there have been frequent occasions where they've been involved in litigation with each other.

Plus there were more dynamics within the band than John vs Paul. George had a few issues with McCartney as well.

the 'Love' thing is meaningless. Its a stage show. Thats a world away from making a record and touring. Harrison and Lennon barely performed much as solo artists anyway, so going on a tour probably wouldnt have appealed much.

They've collaborated on various other projects too. None of them needed the money (no matter how much was offered) and after 40 years the weight of expectation was too much. What speaks volumes is that even having got together to work on some unfinished Lennon songs for 'Anthology' they elected to only release two of them. There was another song intended for release on the third volume and after the lukewarm reaction to the first two, they chose not to cash in and put it out. They knew to quit while they were ahead.

Gazza - 2 things. One, in the Rolling Stone from 2 weeks ago (Beatles cover story), Paul states that the 3rd Lennon outtake they did was called 'Now and Then', but that George did not want to release it because he found it to be 'boring'. Moreover Anthology 1 was certified 4x platinum by the RIAA, and part 2 certified 2x platinum (thought it actually spent more time on the Billboard top 2oo than its predecessor). I don't know, maybe for the Beatles those are considered low numbers, but 2 and 4 million copies sold w/in a year of release doesn't sound that bad to me.

Oh and to HelterSkelter, it's a great story mate, but it sounds pretty doubtful.

Date: September 21, 2009 20:06

Also, remember that Lennon testified in a close court room in the law suite against Beatlemania that they were impinging on the name of The Beatles and there were plans for a reunion and documentary, which ultimately became Anthology (originally going to be called The Long and Winding Road). ALso during the mixing of Double Fantasy Lennon told Jack Douglas that he wanted to record with McCartney again, however, Lennon and Harrison were still at odds. Lennon pissed at him for I Me Mine Autobiography. But they would have gotten together for Anthology. For sure!

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: September 21, 2009 20:10

Many of the songs listed were actually played in January 1969 during the infamous Let it be rehearsals. Lots of Abbey Road material was already written, Paul even played songs that he recorded two years later for this Ram album (Back Seat Of My Car). And Johns Gimme Some Truth (Imagine album, 1971) was also already there. So: There could have been an album like the one HelterSkelter mentioned.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 21, 2009 20:36

stonethobo
Many of the songs listed were actually played in January 1969 during the infamous Let it be rehearsals. Lots of Abbey Road material was already written, Paul even played songs that he recorded two years later for this Ram album (Back Seat Of My Car). And Johns Gimme Some Truth (Imagine album, 1971) was also already there. So: There could have been an album like the one HelterSkelter mentioned.

Also I agree with those of you saying there probably would have been SOME kind of full reunion as the years went on. I think if Cream, Talking Heads, Fleetwood Mac, and even the Stones (when by 1988 they had all but broken up) could do it, so could have the Beatles, even just for a one-off show. And I love that McCartney always refused the idea of a reunion w/the original 3 and Julian Lennon in his dad's plae - just too creepy and calculated (though Julian was pretty okay in his own right, he just could not fill his dad's shoes).

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 21, 2009 20:46

the wanted to reunite in 1974 I think. But Lennon got back to Yoko and everything was cancelled. MAy Pang played a role in the reunion but maybe it´s just a story.
Lennon wanted to go on tour after the follow up LP to Double Fantasay (wich became Milk & Honey) that would have been very interesting, theres an site on the net with possible Setlist of that tour and a stor about.

Date: September 21, 2009 20:46

stonethobo
Yes, I agree, but not with some of the songs that were listed on it. SUre GImmie Some Truth (I have the entire Let it Be tapes...14 album set:-) And Back Seat of My Car for sure, and most of All Things Must Pass...but not Oh WOman Oh Why, Goodnight Vienna, I'm the Greatest...and the others I mentioned in my post. Also, Lennon was particularly not too fond of George's later stuff Let it Be stuff... He doesn't play on I Me Mine.

Date: September 21, 2009 20:49

Wikipedia (not always dependable) says the story was fictional.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: September 21, 2009 20:51

Great link - very similar

[www.rockument.com]

Date: September 21, 2009 21:04

What about putting together a later day album from Double Fantasy/Milk and Honey time fram, while they secretly worked on Anthology (The Long and Winding Road):

Free As A Bird
Flaming Pie
Dera Dhun (George, check out Anthology when him Paul and Ring are reminiscing about it)
I Don't Want to Face it
Pices Fish
Souvenir
Help Me to Help Myself (Lennon, demo on re-mastered Double Fantasy)
In Spite of All the Danger (from Anthology, perhaps they would have done one of their first and updated it like One after 909)
Blue Moon of Kentucky (the Threatles do this on the bonus material on Anthology, I am sure Lennon would have liked this one!)
Raunchy (also on the bouns material on the Anthology)
Calico Skies
Real Love

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-21 21:10 by whitem8.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 21, 2009 21:45

Of course they never got back together, certainly not in the studio, It was just a spoof. It is good fun to compile "what if" albums had they stayed together another year or so, from thier first solo albums and singles.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: September 21, 2009 22:25

John and Paul did play together in the studio in '74. That's ALMOST a Beatles reunion.
a toot and a snore

“The room froze when McCartney walked in, and remained perfectly silent until Lennon said, ‘Valiant Paul McCartney, I presume?’ McCartney responded: ‘Sir Jasper Lennon, I presume?’ [Valiant Paul and Sir Jasper were characters played by the two, in a televised Christmas play early in the Beatles's career] McCartney extended a hand, Lennon shook it, and the mood was pleasant but subdued, cordial but not especially warm, at least initially.”

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 22, 2009 00:18

Gazza

i really like 'free as a bird'..
and 'real love' too...i love listening to lennon demos! and they did a loving and cool job with these imo...i appreciate having them...and hearing them...the vid for 'free as a bird' was kinda spectacular too....
i dug george's 'all those years ago' too...when we was fab kinda musical ruminations...we get the raw...and we get the carefully produced and new harmonies and stuff...pretty cool...tho most saw it as an advert gambit...i dug those two.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 22, 2009 00:27

i think if lennon had lived they would of gotten back together especially after seeing how much money the rolling stones were making touring

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 22, 2009 00:46

Nanker Phlegm
Of course they never got back together, certainly not in the studio, It was just a spoof. It is good fun to compile "what if" albums had they stayed together another year or so, from thier first solo albums and singles.

50% of the beatles casually meetin in a social event, doesnt come close to a re-union.

Even when things got amicable again before Johns death, i dont believe it would have happened. The only thing that may have got it to happen was the sense of unfinished buisness on the live front, particularly with Paul.

Who knows.

OT: Long Lost BEATLES album - "HOT AS SUN" + NOW AND THEN - #3 Anthology Song
Date: September 22, 2009 01:37

For those who mentioned it above - 3rd "New Song" for Beatles Anthology (left off due to Harrison's very strong dislike) - NOW AND THEN

Cleaned Up LENNON solo version - NOW AND THEN

This was rumored to be #3 - GROW OLD WITH ME - THE BEATLES

Date: September 22, 2009 01:52

Beelyboy
Gazza

i really like 'free as a bird'..
and 'real love' too...i love listening to lennon demos! and they did a loving and cool job with these imo...i appreciate having them...and hearing them...the vid for 'free as a bird' was kinda spectacular too....
i dug george's 'all those years ago' too...when we was fab kinda musical ruminations...we get the raw...and we get the carefully produced and new harmonies and stuff...pretty cool...tho most saw it as an advert gambit...i dug those two.

'Free as a bird' was ok. I thought 'Real Love' was excellent. Main problem though was that in the late 70s John Lennon wasnt writing hardly any songs, let alone many great ones.

Date: September 22, 2009 01:56

theimposter
Gazza

Gazza - 2 things. One, in the Rolling Stone from 2 weeks ago (Beatles cover story), Paul states that the 3rd Lennon outtake they did was called 'Now and Then', but that George did not want to release it because he found it to be 'boring'. Moreover Anthology 1 was certified 4x platinum by the RIAA, and part 2 certified 2x platinum (thought it actually spent more time on the Billboard top 2oo than its predecessor). I don't know, maybe for the Beatles those are considered low numbers, but 2 and 4 million copies sold w/in a year of release doesn't sound that bad to me.

Oh and to HelterSkelter, it's a great story mate, but it sounds pretty doubtful.

I never suggested or implied that the Anthology series wasnt a massive commercial success. It was. It's the Beatles - they could release an EP of the four of them farting in the bath and millions would buy it.

The point I was making was that they knew there wasnt much more mileage from an artistic perspective in either reuniting or prolonging the 'Threetles' reunion.

Date: September 22, 2009 01:58

whitem8
Also, remember that Lennon testified in a close court room in the law suite against Beatlemania that they were impinging on the name of The Beatles and there were plans for a reunion and documentary, which ultimately became Anthology (originally going to be called The Long and Winding Road). ALso during the mixing of Double Fantasy Lennon told Jack Douglas that he wanted to record with McCartney again, however, Lennon and Harrison were still at odds. Lennon pissed at him for I Me Mine Autobiography. But they would have gotten together for Anthology. For sure!

The title 'Long and Winding Road' was dropped because....Harrison objected to it being named after a McCartney song.

If there could be that much pettiness over something like that 25 years on, it doesnt exactly augur well for a bonafide reunion.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home