Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: The Cajun/Zydeco Music Thread (inspired by paulywaul)
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 22, 2009 16:28

Edith Grove
Well, if I can interject here, the answer to that would be a resounding NO.

There is a dialect of French spoken in south Louisiana however, despite what this article claims, not in New Orleans (that I know of).

[en.wikipedia.org]

Must admit, when I was in New orleans I didn't hear a single word of French spoken, but then I was only there for a few days and only stayed in particular bits of it. I'm aware there is a dialect of French spoken elsewhere in the state of Louisiana, but out of curiosity - is this a working language that folk actually use, or is it something that is invariably dying out with successive generations as it falls into disuse and/or fewer and fewer people use it ?

I used to live in St Thomas VI, and certainly there you have a community of "Frenchies". I spoke French with a few of them from time to time, but it was kind of on a "on request" basis. I certainly didn't get the idea that it was used extensively, even among themselves.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: September 22, 2009 16:42

Edith Grove

There is a dialect of French spoken in south Louisiana however, despite what this article claims, not in New Orleans (that I know of).

[en.wikipedia.org]

True that. I've been to New Orleans many times and the only time I ever heard French was from French tourists. Definitely south and east of New Orleans you can hear a French dialect but not the French you'll learn in school. Great people.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: September 22, 2009 17:03

some of the NO hookers speak french, pretty sure about that, but i digress...

definitely there with the cajun/zydeco/creole music.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 22, 2009 17:16

can somebody post some professor LONGHAIR VIDEOS .this thred is incomplete without the professor !

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 22, 2009 17:24

paulywaul
or is it something that is invariably dying out with successive generations as it falls into disuse and/or fewer and fewer people use it ?

That pretty much describes the current state of the language in south Louisiana.

Sad but true.

Date: September 22, 2009 17:32

The Greek
can somebody post some professor LONGHAIR VIDEOS .this thred is incomplete without the professor !

I can do that after I get home from work tonight, unless someone beats me to it!

Date: September 22, 2009 18:56

Edith Grove
The Greek

I can do that after I get home from work tonight, unless someone beats me to it!
awesome, i went to the cresent city once in 1992 for jazz fest .what a fantastic week of music (neville's twice, clapton, fabulous thunderbirds,little feat,dr john ,johnny winter).right off the plane went to a great place to eat called mothers,then off to tipitina's for the neville's the following night slowhand himself with jimmy vaughn joining ec onstage .great week of music and do you know that where ever we went professor longhair was playing in all the bars and clubs .the sound of his sweet music has never left my ears .good memories that i will tell ya .

Date: September 23, 2009 05:47

Not either Cajun or Zydeco, but as per The Greek's request, I give you Professor Longhair:

[www.dailymotion.com]

Date: September 23, 2009 10:20

Edith Grove
Not either Cajun or Zydeco, but as per The Greek's request, I give you Professor Longhair:

[www.dailymotion.com]

Divine.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 23, 2009 13:07

Thanks for starting this thread:

- and thanks for the Joel Sonnier clip - reminded me that I used to have this one on an album that I lost in a fire - great to revisit it:

- and just to prove that the Rolling Stones don't have the exclusive right to this title:

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 23, 2009 13:42

This is the compilation that got me into Cajun music in the first place. Really worth getting and one that will really get the party going.
It includes the classics The Promised Land by Johnnie Allen, Before I Grow Too Old - Tommy McLain, Two Step de Bayou Teche - Austin Pitre, Jole Blon - Vin Bruce, and I'm a Lonesome Fugitive - Belton Richard.

Date: September 23, 2009 15:14

Edith Grove

[www.dailymotion.com]
thank you kindly ! you made me smile !!!

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 23, 2009 19:44

The Charlie Gillet compiled "Another Saturday Night" album mentioned by Silver Dagger is a treasure trove of Cajun,Zydeco and Louisiana Juke Box music, ACE Record ( thats the version Silver has posted) is an extended version and should be in every home.

ACE records are the finest re-issue label in the world and thats a scientific fact. smiling smiley

Date: September 24, 2009 03:42

Decca 17047 "Chere Liza" Cajin (Cajun) Fox Trot with Singing.

Leo Soileau was one of the most prolific Cajun recording artists of the 1920's & 1930s.. Leo recorded Cajun music until the start of World War II, when his label, Decca, decided to stop recording Cajun artists. He continued to perform with his group The Rhythm Boys until the end of the decade, when he left the music business altogether. He died in August 1980 in the same place he was born, Ville Platte, LA. (Louisiana)

78 RPM at:
The Record Shop
6356 Guilford
Indianapolis, Indiana 46220 U.S.A.

Date: September 25, 2009 14:12

Here's a live version of Back Door by D.L. Menard.
Thanks for the idea, Rockman.

Date: September 25, 2009 14:30

Green Lady, Adrian-L .... y'all going to the Eel Pie next Wednesday (30/09) to see brother Chris and the Atcha Band ?

[www.eelpieclub.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2009 14:30

Treasure Edith .... one all time favourite record ...Rocks like a garbage truck with a bent axl......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 25, 2009 15:11

paulywaul
Edith Grove

[en.wikipedia.org]

Must admit, when I was in New orleans I didn't hear a single word of French spoken, but then I was only there for a few days and only stayed in particular bits of it. I'm aware there is a dialect of French spoken elsewhere in the state of Louisiana, but out of curiosity - is this a working language that folk actually use, or is it something that is invariably dying out with successive generations as it falls into disuse and/or fewer and fewer people use it ?

I used to live in St Thomas VI, and certainly there you have a community of "Frenchies". I spoke French with a few of them from time to time, but it was kind of on a "on request" basis. I certainly didn't get the idea that it was used extensively, even among themselves.

Is that true that as Louisiana was allied with the Confederate States
during the Civil War, the use of French in public activities was forbidden ?.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 25, 2009 15:39

paulywaul
Green Lady, Adrian-L .... y'all going to the Eel Pie next Wednesday (30/09) to see brother Chris and the Atcha Band ?

[www.eelpieclub.com]

Yes, bought my ticket - I think some of the Stargroves family will also be there.

Date: September 25, 2009 17:25

Green Lady
paulywaul

[www.eelpieclub.com]

Yes, bought my ticket - I think some of the Stargroves family will also be there.

Excellent ... lookin' forward. I've once seen CJ & Charlie Hart (fiddle) and a couple of the other band members at the Bulls Head Barnes, but never the entire band. Can't wait ... and seeing them again on 2nd Oct at the MJ centre in Darford.

Date: September 25, 2009 17:37

SwayStones
Is that true that as Louisiana was allied with the Confederate States
during the Civil War, the use of French in public activities was forbidden ?.

I do not recall hearing that, but I would not doubt it.

It would make sense that the Union would prohibit the use of French as a way to keep dissent down.

Date: September 28, 2009 02:57

This tune is called Tramp On The Street played by The Pine Leaf Boys
I wish I could understand the lyrics!

Date: September 28, 2009 03:02

Lost Bayou Ramblers

Date: October 18, 2009 00:36

Just found this:

The Toni Vescoli Band with Amanda Shaw from New Orleans on fiddle.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 18, 2009 02:59

Some lovely lovely stuff here. Thanks for posting it all.

Date: June 7, 2010 19:24

Too friggin' cute:

Date: January 12, 2013 23:25

Cajun, Swamp Pop, Zydeco, all Louisiana music here: [player.warpradio.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 13, 2013 00:11

The Canadian connection...

Cajun is slang for the French speaking "Acadians" that migrated to the region from Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia area I think).

The Rolling Stones connection...
Didn't brother jagger 'rock the zydeco' at one point?

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: January 13, 2013 00:33

Edith Grove
Nice video, open-g, but I don't see Clifton in that one.

Here's Clifton Chenier at the 1977 New Orleans Jazz Festival: [www.dailymotion.com]

Love Clifton. I was lucky enough to see him Lafayette many moons ago...smoking smiley

Date: January 13, 2013 00:44

treaclefingers
Didn't brother jagger 'rock the zydeco' at one point?

Why, yes, yes he did.......and maybe still:

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home