Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T. Jeff Beck Live
Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 18, 2009 20:15

Just won two tickets to see Jeff Beck with Imelda May at the O2 indigo on monday. Not sure if I'll make the ardrous trek to far flung and ill served by public tansport ( even when the Jubilee Line is running ) Greenwich.

Anyone seen him of late ? is he covering his whole catalogue, gotta admit I didnt keep track after Blow By Blow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-19 01:10 by Nanker Phlegm.

Re: O.T. Jeff Beck Live
Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 18, 2009 20:49

Haven't seen him since Clapton's Guitarfest in Chicago, Summer, 2007.

I would say go, go, go, if you can, Nanker.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 18, 2009 22:51

You MUST go.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 18, 2009 23:24

stonesrule
You MUST go.

yes u must. u'll have a memory of blistering and wonderful guitar playing for the rest of your life. he is transcendent live and waay worth it imo.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 19, 2009 00:36

I saw him at the Royal Festival Hall in 2003, where he was joined onstage by The White Stripes to partake in a mini-Yardbirds set. His repertoire for the night bored me at times, but he is undoubtedly a sublime guitar player – maybe the best of his generation? Certainly one of the most diverse and experimental.

Date: September 19, 2009 01:50

Was never a Jeff Beck fan but went to see him at the El Ray in LA. Saw him on the second nite so I missed Rod. Oh my god!! He was fantastic. His bass player, this pint size girl who couldn't weigh more than 100 lbs and the bass is taller than she is, smoked. His whole back up band was tight. Gald I went to see him. He was fantastic.

Go and see him. You won't be sorry.

Scotty

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 19, 2009 01:55

If you like his work with drumloops and industrial beats, which fits him very well, go and see him. One of the very few musicians who are doing a complete rock-concert without singing a single note and you don`t miss vocals. Amazing and not boring a second. Not to compare with these hi-speed guitarreros, much better, a different league. Try to make the front row, it`s worth to watch him.

Date: September 19, 2009 13:31

best guitar player ever

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 21, 2009 16:15

Watch "Live at Ronnie Scott's" and you'll go for sure!

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: September 21, 2009 21:34

You must go. Jeff typically opens with the Nazz is Blue, plays most of Truth and even throws in Superstition from BBA and closes with Hi Ho Silver Lining.

NOT.

Jeff's setlist is mostly newer material, always has been. He doesn't generally do oldies. Started opening with Bolero but goes right into the heavy s@#$. Greatest living rock guitar player. The band he is currently touring with is TIGHT. the bass player is like 21 years old and solid as a rock.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: September 22, 2009 00:55

The bass player's name is Tal Wilkenfeld. She's a marvelous musician. And yes, do not pass on a chance to see Jeff Beck play. For a guy in his '60s, the man still plays as if he just broke in back in the '60s. Some have been making the argument that he is playing better now than back in the '60s and the '70s.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 22, 2009 12:17

Went to see Jeff last night at Indigo - the smaller venue inside the 02 Arena - thanks to the generosity of Nanker Phlegm who had two spare tickets.

I hadn't seen him since Ronnie Lane's ARMS Benefit concert in the mid-80s and must admit hadn't kept up with his albums since his jazz rock classics such as Blow By Blow and Wired.

Playing with the excellent rock'n'roll styled Imelda May Band the set contained only a handful of songs written after 1965. The set included The Shadows' Apache, Santo and Johnny's Sleepwalk, Rock Around The Clock, Shake Rattle and Roll, The Girl Can't Help It, Cry Me A River, Corpus Christie Carol, Lilac Wine and a stunning version of Remember (Walking In The Sand).

Not sure if this was a one off or if it's his next direction but it was great to see him enjoying himself so much.

Ronnie was sat a few rows in front of me upstairs and he beckoned him and Jimmy Page, also present, to join him, although they didn't take him up on his offer.
All in all a very enjoyable show although it would have been great to hear some Yardbirds and Jeff Beck Group classics.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 16:34 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 22, 2009 16:21

Sounds great Silver, glad you enjoyed it and the tickets didnt go a wastin'

Date: September 22, 2009 18:31

Wow! I would have loved to be there! Great early R and R, the Julie London classic and the Shangri-Las?

Is the Indigo a good venue, SD? I've only been in the larger one in the O2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 18:33 by angee.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 22, 2009 18:45

It's a great venue - small and intimate enough to see a band up close if you want to get down the front but also with a nice seating area upstairs which has a huge video screen. It's nice and dark too with some very tasteful 50s style neon lighting. The sound is usually good there too - I've seen The Who and Lucinda Williams there aswell.

Date: September 23, 2009 01:12

Sounds wonderful, thanks.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 23, 2009 01:18

He closed with Hi Ho Silver Lining when I saw him at The Royal Festival Hall. All the back-up joined in and it became a bit of a jolly sing-a-long.

A novelty it may be, but that top-20 hit from '67 is all he's widely known for in the UK.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 23, 2009 01:40

one of the few greats who hasn't lost a thing.saw him first in 76[wired]and 80[there and back] and 89 with stevie ray.after 30 years i finally got to see him do some of truth and beck ola in 06.he had a singer named beth hart who was as close to a young janis joplin as i've ever seen and pino on bass.not sure about the drummer but it killed.superstitious,you shook me,morning dew,and going down for an encore.mind blowing really.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: September 23, 2009 13:55

What's greater than hearing Jeff Beck live ?

On February 13, 2010 he'll be joined by Eric Clapton in the O2!

[www.whereseric.com]

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: September 23, 2009 20:27

wolfi
What's greater than hearing Jeff Beck live ?

On February 13, 2010 he'll be joined by Eric Clapton in the O2!

[www.whereseric.com]

Looking forward to it.

Also hear that a USA tour will be announced soon.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: September 24, 2009 01:13

I hope the show with Clapton gets recorded a filmed for a CD/DVD release. It would be marvelous if they could convince Jimmy Page to show up at that particular gig and take part in some 3-way guitar work and really do a rave-up. Hopefully, all of the legal stuff will get cleared. I'd buy a copy in an instant.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 24, 2009 04:20

72stones
I hope the show with Clapton gets recorded a filmed for a CD/DVD release. It would be marvelous if they could convince Jimmy Page to show up at that particular gig and take part in some 3-way guitar work and really do a rave-up. Hopefully, all of the legal stuff will get cleared. I'd buy a copy in an instant.
I saw that very lineup at the Palais de vache for the ARMS concert in 1983. Fu-cking Awesome! And Namker, you musk see him live! A musician par excellence and with few peers. Go man, GO!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home