Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
ot: Any fans of The Band here ?
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: September 15, 2009 18:58

I host a weekly radio show here in Maine and this Saturday night, Sept 19th, my entire three hour program will be dedicated to the music of The Band ! The songs you know and love, plus a lot of rare and unreleased tracks. Lorts of cool solo stuff too--
The show is called Mystery Train and can be heard anywhere in the world by logging onto www.wjzf.org

Saturday night, Sept 19th 9:00pm- Midnight EST

Hope you can join us !

ps-- Stones special in a couple of weeks ! Stay tuned..

Re: ot: Any fans of The Band here ?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:01

The Band was The Bomb...i don't think there's ever been a act with more individual and collective talent. three of the greatest voices to ever grace us...

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:02

Fantastic band!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:05

T&A
The Band was The Bomb...i don't think there's ever been a act with more individual and collective talent. three of the greatest voices to ever grace us...
100% agree,some of the best music ever made in the world .i miss the magic of the three voices (helm,danko,and manuel).to me a real crime that robbie broke the band up during there peak ,because robbie the weenie didnt want to die from all the excess during the seventies blah blah blah.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:10

Huge fan. Saw them at Wembley in 74 supporting Joni and CSNY. Great great show. Jesse Colin Young who opened was also very good.
BTW, anyone else here heard a great unreleased later day album by The Band called Tombstone? Minus Robbie was still a very good show.

Date: September 15, 2009 19:11

The Greek
T&A
100% agree,some of the best music ever made in the world .i miss the magic of the three voices (helm,danko,and manuel).to me a real crime that robbie broke the band up during there peak ,because robbie the weenie didnt want to die from all the excess during the seventies blah blah blah.

or one could make the argument that they broke up before their legacy was tarnished...the last album (islands) suggested their creative spirit was fading fast...

having said that - when garth, rick and levon started recording again in the 90's, i was fearful...however those last 3 The Band albums were all winners...not in league with their best, mind you, but hardly embarrassing....

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:13

What is the status of r. roberson?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:15

Chris Fountain
What is the status of r. roberson?

D'you mean sexually, financially or philosophically?

Date: September 15, 2009 19:18

robbie does the movie soundtrack thing here and there .

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:33

Love them!
And lucky enough to have known them for more than 25 years. (Lived in Woodstock) Although only Garth and Levon of the original line-up are still playing - now and then - I play their albums a lot.
Sometimes, when I'm in or around Woodstock, I try to catch their gigs, like when they're Levon Helm and the Barnburners etc. With little Amy Helm on vocals. She's got her dad'd vocal cords.

May I recomend this site:

[theband.hiof.no]

It's run by another Norwegian (BV's Norwegian, if you didn't know), and has got a lot of great info, interresting links etc.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:38

'This Wheels On Fire' by Levon Helm...very revealing book about the Band.
didn't really pick up on Big Pink, Rock Of Ages, all those great albums, when they were first out, wish I had. I sure love them now .. better late than never
'A Musical History' is a great box set
'the Basement Tapes' is one of the all time great albums, something so unique about that music.

Date: September 15, 2009 19:41

the catalogue reissues a few years ago, replete with many bonus tracks, were all fabulous...they even unearthed the long-sought-after dylan tunes on rock of ages...

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:51

bob r
Any fans of The Band here ?

Absolutely!

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 15, 2009 20:03

Love 'em. huge influence as well.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 15, 2009 20:07

"Chest Fever" = great song

Date: September 15, 2009 20:45

T&A
the catalogue reissues a few years ago, replete with many bonus tracks, were all fabulous...they even unearthed the long-sought-after dylan tunes on rock of ages...
they did ,do you get the bob tunes from a new issue rock of ages in the stores(bestbuy,etc)?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 15, 2009 21:23

Elmo Lewis
"Chest Fever" = great song

Yeah I like that one too Elmo. The organ kind of reminds me of a Deep Purple.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: September 15, 2009 21:28

The Band are f*cking great! smileys with beer (Personally, I thought that Helm's autobiography was a little too whiney - a little bit Wymanish...)

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: September 15, 2009 21:28

of course, great band!!!

Date: September 15, 2009 21:40

The Greek
T&A
they did ,do you get the bob tunes from a new issue rock of ages in the stores(bestbuy,etc)?

the dylan tunes - masterpiece, down in the flood, lars and don't ya tell henry - were included on a bonus disc on the 2001 reissue. it was a rare dylan live appearance (12/31/71).

....still available at record stores everywhere....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-15 21:41 by T&A.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: September 15, 2009 21:49

It Makes No Difference is one of the great heartbreak songs of all time....

Date: September 15, 2009 22:07

batcave
It Makes No Difference is one of the great heartbreak songs of all time....

amen

Date: September 15, 2009 22:21

T&A
The Greek
T&A

the dylan tunes - masterpiece, down in the flood, lars and don't ya tell henry - were included on a bonus disc on the 2001 reissue. it was a rare dylan live appearance (12/31/71).

awesome ,i must have this .were you one of the lucky ones to have seen dylan with the dead back in 87 ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-15 22:24 by The Greek.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 15, 2009 22:25

Love The Band . . . . brilliant songwriting and musicianship. They took their craft seriously. I was lucky enough to see them in their early days, probably 1968, at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. And The Last Waltz is possibly the best concert/documentary every made.
I also agree with the aforementioned sentiments regarding It Makes No Difference.

Date: September 15, 2009 22:32

The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A

awesome ,i must have this .were you one of the lucky ones to have seen dylan with the dead back in 87 ?

only time i passed on a local dylan show...not too sorry i did from what i've read and listened to about the show...not the dead at their best nor bob at his

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 15, 2009 22:48

Hey bob r, don't forget they were a great rock'n'roll band too!
In your program you should include the single "Who Do You Love" by Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks, one of the best singles of all time!
The sheer power of the performance is amazing, hope you have the original vinyl!

Date: September 15, 2009 22:49

T&A
The Greek
T&A
The Greek
T&A

only time i passed on a local dylan show...not too sorry i did from what i've read and listened to about the show...not the dead at their best nor bob at his
wow, i have dylan with the dead cd,and i have the (i think it's called)view from the dead which is from the anaheim show in 1987 which the dead did the first set then bob came out and did his set with the dead (which is the dylan with the dead columbia records cd)and then the dead did there second set .man i would have killed to have seen this show i will tell you !!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: September 15, 2009 23:03

i've got all the dylan/dead boards from the tour (only 6 shows) - hit and miss at best. frankly the dead weren't very good in the mid-80's and Dylan was at his absolute nadir, as he will tell you himself...

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 15, 2009 23:09

Scarecrow and a yellow moon
and pretty soon a carnival on the edge of
town,
King Harvest has surely come.

Sheer class.

Date: September 15, 2009 23:11

DaveG
Love The Band . . . . brilliant songwriting and musicianship. They took their craft seriously. I was lucky enough to see them in their early days, probably 1968, at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. And The Last Waltz is possibly the best concert/documentary every made.
I also agree with the aforementioned sentiments regarding It Makes No Difference.

life-changing music the band made - ask EC...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home