Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What exactly is a true Stones-fan ?
Posted by: HappyRambler ()
Date: July 29, 2005 14:06

Everytime a read the forum, there's always a message where people speak of "a true Stones fan", "a hardcore fan", a "die hard fan" etc.
What exactly is that ?
Someone who saw more than 10 shows, 20 shows, 30 shows, or someone who has 10 records, 20 records, or all of them ?
Or someone who can sing along 10 songs, 20 songs, 30 songs, or all of them.
Or someone who sleeps on the streets to get tickets, or to get in front of stage ( like me ) ?
Or could it be someone who just loves the music, and enjoy the time listening to it and loves to see them, regardless of all the things mentioned above.
What's the standard ?
In my opinion everyone is equal in experience the music in his own way, and free to do that how he / she wants.

Re: What exactly is a true Stones-fan ?
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 29, 2005 14:12

Well, I was about to write a long post about the different Stones fans that exist, but I just deleted it again. In my opinion, someone who regulary reads or posts here is definitely a true/die hard/hardcore/... fan, because otherwise he would spend his precious time doing something else.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 29, 2005 14:15

A "true" stones fan is just someone who loves the music etc.

A "die-hard" or "hardcore" fan is someone who spends ridiculous amounts of time and / or money on the band. They LIVE FOR THE STONES - all else becomes almost secondary (maybe even job, wife, kids etc), at least when a new album is out or when they are touring. In a way, these people have a problem - possibly even an addiction! (I am one of those.)

So I don't think you need to count shows to define these people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-29 14:16 by sjs12.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: July 29, 2005 14:25

HappyRambler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or could it be someone who just loves the music,
> and enjoy the time listening to it and loves to
> see them, regardless of all the things mentioned
> above.

That's pretty accurate, IMHO.

BTW, I find funny when somebody despises other opinions by saying "You're not a real fan", as if by saying that your "Stonesfan ID" has to be kept in the Police Station by three months. Hilarious... And some people takes that as the worst insult you can receive!

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 29, 2005 14:32

IMO Lorenz is a true Stonesfan. A TRUE stonesfan will at all times delete any silly selfindulgent crapola essay on "What is a true Stonesfan?"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 29, 2005 14:41

sjs12 Wrote:
> A "die-hard" or "hardcore" fan is someone who
> spends ridiculous amounts of time and / or money
> on the band. They LIVE FOR THE STONES - all else
> becomes almost secondary (maybe even job, wife,
> kids etc), at least when a new album is out or
> when they are touring. In a way, these people
> have a problem - possibly even an addiction! (I
> am one of those.)

I would describe such people as "@#$%& nuts who need to get a life".

For the record, I would almost certainly put myself in this category much of the time. winking smiley

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: July 29, 2005 14:42

Hey Chelsea, after your answer nobody else will post anything here, under the risk of having to take his "Stonesfan ID" to the nearest Court of Justice...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: July 29, 2005 15:33

bruno Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------->
> That's pretty accurate, IMHO.
>
> BTW, I find funny when somebody despises other
> opinions by saying "You're not a real fan", as if
> by saying that your "Stonesfan ID" has to be kept
> in the Police Station by three months.
> Hilarious... And some people takes that as the
> worst insult you can receive!
>
> The IORRean formerly known as Cousin Lou
> (ThereĀ“ll be no wedding today...)

That's exactly what I mean Bruno !
You can enter the Stones world just by loving the music.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 29, 2005 16:00

That's easy: Me....

grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: July 29, 2005 16:01

Someone who likes the Stones? It's not a sporting event. There are no medal winners.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 29, 2005 16:45

A "true" fan can be lots of things I guess. Among other things, a true fan is likely to perhaps:

(a) spend lots of money on them. I know I certainly will be in the month of September. A flight from London to NYC and back, 8 days rented accommodation in Manhattan, 3 shows (MSG, Giants, Albany), food, drink, general good time expenses etc. I haven't added up the likely cost yet, but it's going to be several thousand $$$$$$$$ in all probability. Shit !!! But is it worth it ? Yes, unquestionably !

(b) adore them for their strengths and their virtues, but acknowledges their weaknesses

(c) experience unparalleled highs when they nail it, and plunges into the depths of despair when they don't

(d) At this point in their career, exhibit concerns about where they go from here, how will it end etc. In effect, worries himself/herself stupid about the whole "legacy" thing

(e) wish them well in pretty much anything they do

(f) probably keep a "scrap book" of press cuttings, used tickets, and other assorted memorabilia. I know I do. So when it does finally all end, they'll live on in your heart, your house, your home

That's all I can think of right now, but that just about describes me personally as a true fan

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 29, 2005 16:46

For me, peronally, a REAL Stones fan does not seek for weak parts of his favourite band but adores what they do. I can't understand why some people in the community always look for bad issues or compare the Stones to other, mostly overrated bands or artists. The Rolling Stones are unique, legendary and simply the best band in the world. If a "fan" doesn't see it, it's no real fan.

And: a real fan has all official albums, has seen the Stones a couple of times and is proud to show that he IS a fan.

Posted by: SpanishTony ()
Date: July 29, 2005 16:54

A hardcore Stones fan is someone who appreciates Exile on Main Street and knows that it was made in a hot summer in the South of France in a town called Villefrance in the basement of a villa known as Nellcote.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 29, 2005 17:21

definition of a true fan :

someone who loves the band but is prepared to call the shit, shit when it needs saying. not someone who wont have a bad word said about em and who's blind to faults

Date: July 29, 2005 17:26

Meise Wrote:
>
> And: a real fan has all official albums, has seen
> the Stones a couple of times and is proud to show
> that he IS a fan.
>
> ________________________________________
>
> I can't imagine a world without the Rolling
> Stones! (A. Erthegun)

Agree !
But it makes me wonder how you show it ?
T-Shirt, whrist-band, tattoo, tongues all over your clothes, Voodoo-Lounge-Hat ?
C'mon people, let me know.

Date: July 29, 2005 17:33

a "real fan" shouldnt have to define what being a "real fan" entails. so there!

Andy's definition is pretty accurate as far as I'm concerned. Paulywaul's example is pretty much how I see myself. Meise's definition isnt being a fan, its blind hero-worship.

Even the Stones wouldnt think of themselves like that. they're a lot more aware of each other's imperfections than people who idolize them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-29 17:35 by Gazza.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 29, 2005 17:34

andy js

Precisely ! Very well said.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 29, 2005 17:41

Saw every U.S.Tour since 72....Multiple shows each tour,,,Got every New Album since Exile on the Day of its Release....Got all the bootlegs,,,,Shook hands with Keith & Bobby Keys twice,,,,Jagger once,,,,My money clip has the tongue on it,,,,This tour will be my Daughters 5th show,,,she saw her 1st show @ 9 yrs. old.........Answer Your Question..

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: July 29, 2005 17:48

A true fan???? A people who likes their music!!!

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: July 29, 2005 17:51

someone who likes the stones, who doesn't stick his head in the arse of webmasters of message boards, can say they don't like some things concerning the stones, but is stupid enough to buy the new cd, cos he/she is curious

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: July 29, 2005 17:59

andy js Wrote:
> > definition of a true fan :
>
> someone who loves the band but is prepared to call
> the shit, shit when it needs saying. not someone
> who wont have a bad word said about em and who's
> blind to faults
>

too true...
And those who can't see the crap when it is crap then they are completely one-eyed....or religious preachers!

Mind you, if I spoke to a "Stones fan" who said they did not like Beggars, Sticky or Exile then maybe that would class as a non-stones fan ??

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 29, 2005 18:49

Esky,

I see your point but you can't draw that conclusion I'm afraid.

It takes all sorts. Some people (my father in law) are real big fans of the very early stuff. He reckons they started to go downhill from Satanic onwards. (This leads to lots of arguments down the pub)

He has all their early records and saw them dozens of times in the early sixties. He was there when it all started!

Is he not a true fan just because he sees something different about the Stones to most of us?

I say that all are welcome in the Stones fan camp. Variety helps make our discussions interesting. After all, if we all liked the same things then we would spend all day just agreeing with each other - how boring would that be?

Re: What exactly ...
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 29, 2005 18:59

i recently read a quote that went something like this: "Jorge Luis Borges wrote: 'To fall in love is to create a religion that has a fallible god' ... and to love truly is to stay in love, to love more powerfully and gratefully, because the one we love has come down to earth and slouches around among us."

it seems plain that a lot (most?) of us not only love the Stones' music - we love the Stones: their music *and* their personas, their attitude/energy, their history, the whole avalanche of what they keep giving to us. being in love doesn't need to mean one is "blind to their faults"; it can mean seeing them real clearly and loving *exactly* the Rolling Stones. (sure, it can also mean not getting why some people seem to *harp* on their faults.) (that happens on some boards - i don't mean anyone here, of course! :E )

does being in love make someone a "truer Stones fan"?
i don't think in those categories.
but i do know this: being in love sure feels ~*good!*~

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-29 19:09 by with sssoul.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: July 29, 2005 20:45

Someone who knows that Street of Love is crap but fights to tell others how great it is....

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 29, 2005 21:06

LMFAO!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 29, 2005 21:15

rknuth Wrote:
> Someone who knows that Street of Love is crap but
> fights to tell others how great it is....

no comment. :-)

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 29, 2005 21:56

How to show that you're a fan?
Try shirts, tattoos, tell all people that the Stones are the best, dance when they are played, @#$%& during Beast of Burden etc.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: July 29, 2005 22:10

to be a stonesfan, you must be horny 24/7

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: July 29, 2005 22:59

someone who feels exile and goddess in the same way, physically. someone who's wondering why Gazza is not here at the present time. And, above all, where is he ?

Date: July 30, 2005 01:08

because I was out at a football match watching France win the UEFA under 19 tournament, if you must know...

sorry for having a life, you should try it smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home