Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Hoople shows at Hammy
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 4, 2009 19:59

Cool, thanks Si.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 5, 2009 00:53

wow Simon thank you soooo much! what a wonderful post w the pix and commentary! so grateful mate! and the setlist post too...whoa...those are hard rock tunes and to think those guys pulled it off all these years later...mega refreshing wonderful...looked liked THE gig of the year to me...very touching tale when mott drummer showed up for encore with second kit...awww....sounds like they had an EXCELLENt drummer...mick ralphs has a heavy hand...a force to be reckoned with on all those wonderful bad company albums...but i always always preferred mott the friggin' hoople...charge on old boys charge on...i love wish i was your mother...what a great writer...where does ian live now? do you know the 'meaning' of "Mott The Hoople" or where they got that from?

thanks Simon you totally made my day.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: October 5, 2009 01:46

'Twas too busy before these shows to check out if anyone was going on here, but I caught the Friday and Saturday shows. F*ckin' awesome, could not believe how damn good these guys were in their late 60s and not having played together for decades.

Mick Jones (The Clash) was in the seat directly in front of me for the whole Friday night show.

I am planning to go on Tuesday too (trying to lure BEAST out too Paul). I don't have a vouchsafed ticket yet but am trying to line up one from eBay (missed out on a Stalls row C one today, which finally went for over £120!!!). I got a row C Stalls tickets for Saturday on Friday night from one of the reseller outside I know and trust and it only cost me £60.00.

Cheers,
SonicD

BTW, MOWAT, was the camera you were using a full digital SLR? I have a Canon G20 digital compact and could get nothing as good as you did and I was in Stalls rows D (Fri) and C (Sat)!!

P.P.S. Wasn't it wonderful how relaxed the venue and security were about people taking in full SLRs? It just shows it can be done, without any people getting uptight and image control frenzied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-05 01:53 by SonicDreamer.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: October 5, 2009 02:23

SimonN
Here you go...

Jupiter (intro)

Hymn For The Dudes
Rock'n'Roll Queen
Sweet Jane
One Of The Boys

Sucker
The Moon Upstairs

The Original Mixed Up Kid (Sit-down, acoustic)
I Wish I Was Your Mother (Sit-down, acoustic)

Ready For Love (Mick, lead vocal)
Born Late '58 (Pete, lead vocal/lead guitar, Ian on bass)

Ballad Of Mott
Angeline
Walking With A Mountain

The Journey (Ian takes to piano)
Golden Age of Rock'n'Roll (Stan, Tracie etc... backing vox)
Honaloochie Boogie
All The Way From Memphis

Encores...

Roll Away The Stone
All The Young Dudes
Keep A Knockin'

They played so,so well.

Cheers,

Si.

You've missed the most important song of the night off Simon!

SATURDAY GIGS which was final encore and sublime (especially Friday night)

Date: October 5, 2009 11:10

SonicDreamer

BTW, MOWAT, was the camera you were using a full digital SLR? I have a Canon G20 digital compact and could get nothing as good as you did and I was in Stalls rows D (Fri) and C (Sat)!!

P.P.S. Wasn't it wonderful how relaxed the venue and security were about people taking in full SLRs? It just shows it can be done, without any people getting uptight and image control frenzied.

Hey there Sonic,
It wasn't an SLR, I was using a Pansonic Lumix - my seat was back in row W, but during the first song I wandered down the aisle to the front and found myself next to row A without any hassle! As you say, a very relaxed and appreciative atmosphere.
By the way, you could always try double8 tickets for tonight/tomorrow - [www.double8tickets.com]

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 5, 2009 11:28

andy js

You've missed the most important song of the night off Simon!

SATURDAY GIGS which was final encore and sublime (especially Friday night)

Hi Andy,

You are absolutely right...'Saturday Gigs' was sublime,especially the final bars,with the house lights shutting down,leaving us in darkness as the music faded.

That was just about the most perfect ending.
Bloody hell,I'm almost talking myself into making the trip down there again!

Cheers,

Si.

Date: October 5, 2009 12:14

celeb watching so far at first 3 Hammersmith gigs :

Jimmy Page (and Plant in circle rumour)
Dave Gilmour in the stalls
Primal Scream
The Horrors
Mick Jones
Duran Duran

who next ?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 5, 2009 12:16

still looking for a tuesday night spare, if anyone has one

Date: October 5, 2009 12:23

just turn up outside Adrian. you'll get one with ease

or try this site : [www.scarletmist.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 5, 2009 12:57

Anyone left in any doubt about going tonight or tomorrow - it was the best gig of the year.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 5, 2009 14:31

Adrian-L
still looking for a tuesday night spare, if anyone has one

Adrian, lets meet up outside, they're quite often sold in pairs and I know for a fact that a couple of brokers are holding really good seats, like row C stalls pretty much central for example.

Just indicate a time when you want to meet outside the Hammy, I'll see you there. anytime's good for me.

Paul

Date: October 5, 2009 14:50

will be there 5.30-ish, Pauly....sounds like a good plan, matey.

You have email

Date: October 5, 2009 15:06

Adrian-L
will be there 5.30-ish, Pauly....sounds like a good plan, matey.

You have email

We have a deal, 5:30 outside "le Hammy" tamorrow

Date: October 5, 2009 15:11

see ya there!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 5, 2009 15:15

Manofwealthandtaste
It wasn't an SLR, I was using a Pansonic Lumix

I'm using a Canon SX200 just using the automatic settings and my pics are very hit and miss, with most being a miss. Any tips?

Date: October 5, 2009 15:18

Braincapers
Manofwealthandtaste

I'm using a Canon SX200 just using the automatic settings and my pics are very hit and miss, with most being a miss. Any tips?

get a Panasonic Lumix? winking smiley

Date: October 5, 2009 16:04

Adrian-L
Braincapers
Manofwealthandtaste

Whilst that may not be the answer Braincapers was hoping for Adrian, it is certainly a very easy to use camera! However, the Canon SX200 looks very similar so should produce as good results. Turn the flash off, if you hadn't already done so, would be my tip.

Date: October 5, 2009 16:32

This is a Panasonic product worth looking at, it's a take on a DSLR, but scaled down in size due to the elimation of the prism/mirror box. Still, it's got a useful range of interchangeable lenses, and so if "size" is indeed an issue, it provides a very good alternative to a conventional bulkier & sizier DSLR. Still might be a bit tricky to shove down yer knickers and sneak into a show where security is in a permanent strop, but where it ain't .... a really good bit of kit I think. Not too big so as to drive yourself and everyone else around f***ing nuts, but flexible enough to be able to get some good shots in from further back in the audience .... which lets face it, is where "compacts" let you down real badly.

[www.ephotozine.com]

[www.dpreview.com]

[www.trustedreviews.com]

[www.imaging-resource.com]

[www.cameralabs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-05 16:33 by paulywaul.

Date: October 5, 2009 16:36

Adrian-L

WHAT SETTINGS DO YOU USE ON YOURS FOR GIG SHOTS ?

Date: October 5, 2009 16:50

varies, depending on distance from subject and lighting of venue, but generally

as MOWAT suggests, avoid flash.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: October 5, 2009 16:54

My review of Friday night

"Still Hott For Mott - And Hoopling Wildly

Saturday Gigs was written to be the last song on a Mott reunion gig. The entire Apollo joined in the final "goodbyes" and on the handclaps, both of which continued well after the band had left the stage - a genuinely affecting moment and not a dry eye in the house.

And of the preceding two hours? A perfect blend of Island-era fanpleasers and the CBS hits. Verdan Allens organ was prominent on the former, duetting beautifully with Ian Hunters piano on The Journey and illustrating mentor Guy Steven's vision of a collision between Dylan and the Stones. Original guitarist Mick Ralphs delivered a stomping riff but hesitant vocals in Ready For Love. Pete Overend Watts rampaged around the stage sporting an ever grosser selection of bases but mainly sporting a pink Thunderbird. This culminated in his bringing out the vast chrome-plated Swallow which he propped against Allens organ for the encores, just so we could admire it. His Born Late 58, whilst a noble democratic gesture, was also the cue for a mass exodus to the bar. On drums and backing vocals tonight was fellow Hereford native Martin Chambers of the Pretenders who did a great job, stepping in for the now-frail Buffin.

And what of front-man Ian Hunter? In his element whether baiting the audience for requests ("We're not going to play them, just wanted to hear what you were going to say" ) or delivering peerless phrasing throughout Hymn For The Dudes and The Ballad of Mott. Accoustic versions of I Wish I Was Your Mother and Original Mixed Up Kid were dispatched in a slightly ramshackle way but with great gusto. The closing salvo of hits ended with Hunter at the piano, pounding through All The Way From Memphis and concluding the song and the set with a gruff "that's your lot". (Rock 'n' roll aside: tonight I discovered that my friend Kent Benjamin was actually present at the very Memphis gig that spawned the song).

And so to the encore when Buffin joined in on drums and the stately chorus of All The Young Dudes filled the Apollo. A slightly dodgy Roll Away The Stone with assorted Hoople offspring (and The Mighty Stan Tippins) on sha la la push push duty and thence to Saturday Gigs, which was where we came in."

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 5, 2009 17:31

Hello,

Top ticket spare for tonight...

[www.ianhunter.com]

Cheers,

Si.

Date: October 5, 2009 23:25

Best I could do

Date: October 6, 2009 01:40

Adrian, I went tonight (got a stalls seat for a tenner), and I also picked up two for Beast and I for tomorrow - Tuesday 6th. There's a good few around, you shouldn't have the slightest problem getting a ticket.

Date: October 6, 2009 02:12

Adrian,

I have a Stalls Row H, seat 18 going for tomorrow if u want it. £60, which is what I paid for it. It is the last row of the front block and quite central (seat 22 is dead centre). I'm still going the last night too. PM me if you want it or you can get my mobile number off Paul or BEAST.

Cheers,
SonicD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-06 11:58 by SonicDreamer.

Date: October 6, 2009 14:04

paulywaul
Adrian, I went tonight (got a stalls seat for a tenner), and I also picked up two for Beast and I for tomorrow - Tuesday 6th. There's a good few around, you shouldn't have the slightest problem getting a ticket.

oh right, thanks for letting me know. I'll make my own plans then.

Date: October 6, 2009 14:19

Adrian-L
paulywaul

Adrian,

I have a Stalls Row H, seat 18 going for tomorrow if u want it. £60, which is what I paid for it. It is the last row of the front block and quite central (seat 22 is dead centre). I'm still going the last night too. PM me if you want it or you can get my mobile number off Paul or BEAST.

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: October 6, 2009 15:09

Adrian-L
paulywaul

Adrian, check your mail ......

Date: October 6, 2009 15:13

Fab review and pics

[www.rosshalfin.com]

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 6, 2009 16:20

Braincapers
Fab review and pics

[www.rosshalfin.com]

Ross snapped some great one's. A true professional photographer. Instead of just head shots of Ian Hunter, he has the entire band in action. The unbelievable shots in your post above are also excellent. When you can see the sweat on someone's face under those lighting conditions and individual hairs on their head in perfect focus...

Ah, to be in London...

CBII

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home