Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Hoople shows at Hammy
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 2, 2009 06:49

great review posted by Glam Descendent on other Mott thread...
wish we could combine these two...but no matter....check it out...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 2, 2009 09:55

Today's the day. Just playing Mott before I head off to work. Can't wait. All the way from Memphis.............

Date: October 2, 2009 10:57

Anyone going to see Mott tonight, tomorrow or next week.......you are in for a great night!

At a Stones gig, there are a hundred and one different designs of tongue and tour t-shirts to be seen, at last nights show, there were one or two new MTH t-shirts but apart from that, very little to indicate which band we were about to see. I guess not many had survived since the last time they performed.

The support band were a two piece called Joe Gideon and The Shark. 'The Shark' was the girl on drums, percussion and keyboards.....in nautical attire! An interesting sound, but a couple more musicians on stage might have helped and saved Joe Gideon from having a brace of Fenders around his neck.

When Ian Hunter and the band took to the stage, the whole of the Hammersmith Odeon (for it was a time warp evening) stood up and remained standing for the next two hours....

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 2, 2009 11:01

Thanks for the photos, MOWAT

Date: October 2, 2009 11:12

A few more photos...

Dale 'Buffin' Griffin was helped on stage for the encore.....

And finally, after two encores, it was goodbye and goodnight....

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 2, 2009 11:17

if anyone has a spare for tuesday, let me know

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 2, 2009 13:23

It was brilliant. I've waited 35 years for last night and it was worth it.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: October 2, 2009 14:24

In one word "Awesome".

Cant~t wait for this evening and tomorrow.

Very emotional when Buffin entered the stage and played the encores.

A once in a lifetime experience.

See ya this evening.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 2, 2009 20:30

wow thanks for the photos...mean old grizzly tigers...what a kick to see ian and mick...whooo...i'm stoked about this...hey what's with THE KINKS on that billboard in the club???
???

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 2, 2009 21:34

Beelyboy
...hey what's with THE KINKS on that billboard in the club???
???

That's what I was wonderin too. I know Ray Davies is doing some solo shows. Maybe that's what they mean.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 3, 2009 11:32

Beelyboy
wow thanks for the photos...mean old grizzly tigers...what a kick to see ian and mick...whooo...i'm stoked about this...hey what's with THE KINKS on that billboard in the club???
???

Yeh, Ian Hunter looking good......let's not forget he is 70 now!

During the gig a number of old concert posters were flashed up on the screens and that was one from the Rainbow Theatre in Finsbury Park, London with the Kinks and Stone The Crows sharing the Bill........not sure of the date, but probably early 70's.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: October 3, 2009 18:31

HWi does Ina Hunter think he is ? cavorting around on stage like a mere 60 yr old smiling smiley

Great gig, great night and worth the wait, if we have to wait as long for next reunion Ian will be 112 eye rolling smiley

I hope i have his energy ( and overends attitude) when i'm 60, never mind feckin 70 !

Date: October 3, 2009 18:39

Super gig last night. Incredible emotion to hear absolute classics like Roll Away The Stone, All The Way From Memphis and Golden Age Of Rock n Roll live after all these years. Anyone trying their chance outside should get lucky as there were lots of tickets going for half price. God bless Mott.

Date: October 3, 2009 19:02

I love me some Mott;am thrilled to hear they are doing those reunion shows. Did Ariel Bender show up too? And who was on keys? Allen?
Why did Buffin only play encores?
Did they play "Foxy Foxy" and "Walkin With a Mountain"? One of my favorite bands ever.

Date: October 3, 2009 19:11

Another picture of the youthfull Mr Hunter......

Buffin only played the encores due to his poor health, he looked quite frail and had to be helped on and off the stage.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: October 3, 2009 19:14

Lots of stuff on the YouTube from the first show including this very good quality post of "All The Young Dudes " :

Posted by: arturo ()
Date: October 3, 2009 19:51

The sense of lifelong commitment was heightened during the encore, when the band’s original drummer, Dale Griffin, entered the fray.

Griffin has Alzheimer’s, and had to be led by the hand to a drum kit alongside his substitute for the evening, the Pretenders’ Martin Chambers. Soon, he was pounding away the rhythm to 'Roll Away the Stone’, grinning from ear to ear. 'All the Young Dudes’, then, was simply breath-taking, with Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott joining in for a verse.

above was taken from the telegraph.
that explains why buffin only drums on the encore. very sad indeed.
anyone else attending the last show on the 6th?

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: October 3, 2009 20:24

Here's another good audio, "Rock N Roll Queen" :

Posted by: caroogie ()
Date: October 3, 2009 21:03

Thanks for the pix & YouTube links. Real kickin' for a bunch of geezers who haven't played in forever. Too bad about Buffin, but Chambers gives the energy needed to make this cook. Cool that he joined in on the encores. I wish they'd have done this years ago. Rock on, Mott!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: October 3, 2009 21:29

great read for any Hooplers who haven't read it

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 3, 2009 21:38

For those of us that missed the shows, lets hope they had the house or professional film crews recording this extravaganza!

Exactly whats wrong with Buffin?

CBII

Date: October 3, 2009 21:40

CBII
For those of us that missed the shows, lets hope they had the house or professional film crews recording this extravaganza!

He has Alzheimers.

Date: October 3, 2009 21:42

BV, please don't delete this topic. Yes, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Rolling Stones but everything to do with history. Allot of us have been waiting since 1975 to see the original line up of Mott the Hoople. Most of us (like my sorry A$$) will not be able to get to the UK in time to witness the shows in person.

Your forum is tops when it comes to getting the message about Rock n Roll to the masses. If nothing else let us live vicariously via the reviews and consolidated links to the live performances for a couple of weeks.

CBII

Date: October 3, 2009 21:43

sweetcharmedlife
CBII

He has Alzheimers.

Oh man that's terrible! He won't ever be able to come back from that one.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 4, 2009 10:41

Silver Dagger
Super gig last night. Incredible emotion to hear absolute classics like Roll Away The Stone, All The Way From Memphis and Golden Age Of Rock n Roll live after all these years. Anyone trying their chance outside should get lucky as there were lots of tickets going for half price. God bless Mott.

I was thinking about just wandering up either Monday or Tuesday and grabbing a late ticket, so good to read your comment about lots of tix @ half price. I also notice a surprising number of good stalls seats still listed on Ebay. May well get lucky then.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 4, 2009 11:44

CBII

No filming so far but rumours about tuesday being filmed. I certainly hope so they are getting better by the night!

Date: October 4, 2009 12:38

Hi Brain. You mention they are getting better by the night. Have they been doing different songs each night?

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 4, 2009 16:39

Hello,

I am so,so pleased to report that this reunion did not disappoint or sully any reputations.The atmosphere for both nights was something else in that you could almost feel the absolute love and goodwill for these guys,especially considering Dale 'Buffin' Griffin's Alzheimers-induced situation.

Saturday's set-list:

Jupiter (intro)

Hymn For The Dudes
Rock'n'Roll Queen
Sweet Jane
One Of The Boys
Sucker
The Moon Upstairs
The Original Mixed Up Kid (Sit-down, acoustic)
I Wish I Was Your Mother (Sit-down, acoustic)
Ready For Love (Mick, lead vocal)
Born Late '58 (Pete, lead vocal/lead guitar, Ian on bass)
Ballad Of Mott
Angeline
Walking With A Mountain
The Journey (Ian takes to piano)
Golden Age of Rock'n'Roll (Stan, Tracie etc... backing vox)
Honaloochie Boogie
All The Way From Memphis

Encores...

Roll Away The Stone
All The Young Dudes
You Keep A Knockin'

Friday's was pretty much the same,meaning that the guys played for two hours.Fantastic!I remeber snatches of 'Jumping Jack Flash' amongst it all.
So here are a few snapshots from the two shows,in no order at all:

-Mick Ralphs had two of the most beautiful Les Pauls with him and he played some note-perfect stuff,as well as cranking-up a wll-of-sound on occasion.Is it me,or does MR resemble a bigger version of Alfie Bass?

-The Pretenders' drummist,Martin Chambers was the perfect dep for Buffin,even indulging in some Moon-style bouncing and catching sticks,which is something that Buffin used to do I'm told.During the encores when the second kit was unveiled and Buffin took his place,it was Martin who looked after him:I cannot tell you how affecting this was.

-Pete 'Overend' Watts was a revelation to me-he was such good value in the way that he was constantly engaging the folks down at the front,pointing at them,joking and generally mugging away.Plus he played his bass flawlessly,and even swapped places with Ian for a song last night.He was generous enough to say that I.H. was worryingly good on bass.Ian seemed pleased to be back centre-stage after that!

-Ian Hunter is such a natural as a front-man,I know.His champagne flute was drained a few times and he really seemed to be enjoying himself,as did the rest of them.My good friend and protege Ross Halfin walked past me on Saturday night (as did Joe 'Def' Elliot):his diary is worth a read,here.Strange,he doesn't mention me.Other guests included Jimmy Page,Mick Jones (down the front with the rest of us) and Noel Gallagher.Ian took the piss by saying that he was honoured to have N.G. turn-up on Thursday and that he'd paly an Oasis tune as thank-you...he then launched into one of Mott's own songs...ouch!

-The sometimes overlooked Verden Allen provided the crucial Hammond sounds and had a ball over on the wing.

Both nights rated 25/10,with Saturday's edging it very,very slightly.

Forgive this indulgence...the band exceeded my hopes!

...and Saturday's efforts,

Thanks go this great bunch!

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-04 22:21 by SimonN.

Date: October 4, 2009 19:35

Great pics Si. As always. Does anybody have a setlist for these shows?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 4, 2009 19:45

Hi SCL,

Here you go...

Jupiter (intro)

Hymn For The Dudes
Rock'n'Roll Queen
Sweet Jane
One Of The Boys

Sucker
The Moon Upstairs

The Original Mixed Up Kid (Sit-down, acoustic)
I Wish I Was Your Mother (Sit-down, acoustic)

Ready For Love (Mick, lead vocal)
Born Late '58 (Pete, lead vocal/lead guitar, Ian on bass)

Ballad Of Mott
Angeline
Walking With A Mountain

The Journey (Ian takes to piano)
Golden Age of Rock'n'Roll (Stan, Tracie etc... backing vox)
Honaloochie Boogie
All The Way From Memphis

Encores...

Roll Away The Stone
All The Young Dudes
Keep A Knockin'

They played so,so well.

Cheers,

Si.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home