Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best Stones "INTRO" on live shows so far.....
Posted by: salar ()
Date: July 18, 2005 16:54

to me it was the 89/90 intro with the theme from Continental Drift...
Wooooooowwww...what a way to start a live show !!!
the rythm of CD...getting faster and faster..like the staccato from a mashine gun...it made me shout and scream like a crazy dog.

The 81 intro with the "Take the A train" from Duke Ellington was not bad either,
it fits well with the giutar intro from Under My thumb...

But first comes Continental drift...

Ah....just realized that I have totally forgotten the theme from the
"No Security tour 99"...with "Might as well get juiced", which, in combination with the video, was also a remarkable intro.

Did you also realize that, since 99, the intros have become somehow boring.
I mean they were like nothing special..just a kind of dschungle music...
like a b-version of the Babylon intro...the kick is missing.
though, watching the Stones open a show, is a kick by itself...
no spectacular intro needed at all.

What are your favorites ???

See you on the tour
Regards
salar

Re: Best Stones "INTRO" on live shows so far.....
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: July 18, 2005 17:00

continental drift

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 18, 2005 17:01

My favorite was Voodoo lounge with the fire breathing dragon and intro music morphing into Charlie's "Bo Diddly" beat for "Not Fadeaway." Early on Mick popped up thru a trapdoor in the floor but within weeks was just strolling out from stage left and greeting the audience with a deep bow and wave. Somehow seeing them for even just a moment, as 'mere mortals,' before they become the Rolling Stones added to the tension and hence enjoyment. The '75 tour that began with HTW had much the same effect.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 18, 2005 17:04

No Security (also used for the BTB '99 tour but had greater impact in an indoor arena because it looked more realistic whereas in the stadiums if you were in the stands you could see the band walking towards the stage whilst the intro was playing)

I loved that mix of "Might as well get juiced".

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: July 18, 2005 17:06

Take the A-train (1981)

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 18, 2005 17:13

"No Security (also used for the BTB '99 tour but had greater impact in an indoor arena because it looked more realistic whereas in the stadiums if you were in the stands you could see the band walking towards the stage whilst the intro was playing) "

This was tru except if you were high up at the back of the house. There you could see the whole band waiting at the bottom of the stairwell behind the drums while the video of them walking thru the concrete tunnels (implying the building you were in) played.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: July 18, 2005 17:18

Sam Cutler's? words.

The whole audience shouting and cheering and then this voice that seems coming from afterlife: "Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones"

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: jude ()
Date: July 18, 2005 17:29

Fanfare...and HTW breaking the air. my good, was really exciting

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: July 18, 2005 17:34

B2B intro!

Posted by: ADRIAN_L ()
Date: July 18, 2005 17:37

on the upcoming tour, the intro should be a Chuck Leavell solo medley, to get us all in the mood.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 18, 2005 17:40

B2B tour no doubt.

Space.

Rumble.

Fireball.

BOOOOOOM

Satisfaction.

Nobody does it better. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 18, 2005 17:56

that was indeed a good one.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 18, 2005 18:05

I love those "Ladies and gentlemen - the Rolling Stoooooooooooooooooones!" intros very much, more than yny intro else. That´s why I loved those clubshows in 2002/2003, just for that intros alone, and I saw/heárd them twice:-)

From those instrumental intros since 1989 I really like Drift a lot, ecstatic! Bang!

1994 was great, I remember the intro in D.C. opening show going over into Bo Diddley rhythm...hmmm..MONA? And it was Not Fade Away!

1997 was a big eye/earcatcher, too! Bang!

The most flawless one was 2002/03. Just boring.

The new one will start like this: "Ladies and Gentlemen: here are the greedy ones, grabbing your money with useless memberships: the Rolling Stoooooooooones"

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 18, 2005 18:12

B2B without a doubt. If you got a chance for closeup seats near the big screen...it literally knocked you off your feet. Will never forget those moments....

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 18, 2005 19:08

Just one second after CONTINENTAL DRIFT (EAST BERLIN, Aug. 13th, 1990, Steel Wheels stage, nearly front row seat, er, standing), taken with a throwaway amateur camera by TooTough, used once by Rocks Off!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-18 21:07 by TooTough.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 18, 2005 19:35

CONTINENTAL DRIFT

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 18, 2005 19:40

Steel Wheels intro without a doubt.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 18, 2005 21:03

I like Long John Baldrey introducing the band on Got Live If You Want It (the remastered SACD which contains the longer intro where he names all of the band members and then they kick into Under My Thumb).

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 18, 2005 22:35

Most intros have become classics. My first show was in 1990 - you'l never forget this moment before the Stones entered the stage with SMU (what an opener).

But I liked the intros of VL, B2B (the fireball on the video screen !!!) and No Security. Licks Tour's intro was a bit flat.

But whenever I seen DVDs or videos from 1975/76 (great intro as well) or 1981 (I loved Duke Ellington's Take The A Train for ears) it's lso very exciting and I would love to have been there.

What abour 2000 Light Years From Home in 1972??? No one mentioned that.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 18, 2005 22:36

No Security Tour 1999

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: July 19, 2005 01:25

AARON COPELAND'S FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN REALLY SUITED THEM AND CREATED JUST ENOUGH TENSION TO KICK OFF THE SHOW! By the way, it opened the '75 tour shows! The teasing intro to Honky Tonk Woman was drawn out, slow and menacing, just right IMO!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 19, 2005 12:29

I too agree that Steel Wheels intro is unbeatable!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Date: July 19, 2005 12:46

'Fanfare' still sends chills down my spine. I still listen to it on LYL and remember the night I saw them in Toronto on June 18, 1975. Great intro. And yes, their intros don't seem as interesting any more.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 19, 2005 13:28

Has to Be Fanfare from the 1975/76 tours. For me personally, it was one of THE great moments out of all the concerts I've ever witnessed, by anybody.

Not that the gigs themselves (Earls Court first two nights) were up to much mind.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: July 19, 2005 14:49

Continental Drift followed by explosion and SMU was great (remember East-Berlin 2nd show after the long rain and thunder storm the explosion was really warming us in the first rows, i.e. standing!)

But Take The A-Train followed by the great introduction and UMT was just awesome. The latter beeing more suitable for arenas.

Might as Well Get Juiced for NS together with the video as the Stones take the stage was more a surprise. (The same goes for the cage Mick was into at the opening show in Oakland. Also a surprise but just a gimmick. I think they noticed that it was bullshit and didn't use it anymore)

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: July 19, 2005 15:18

Continental drift.

I think for every tour there had the correct intro.
A Train was wonderful for the stage etc in 1981/82

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 20, 2005 00:21

i saw them 2 times..BTB and licks but for me the BTB was something amazing..great booomm and tennntenrrrennterrrtennntnnn(satisfactionsmiling smiley)

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: July 20, 2005 09:18

81: Take the A train.

Charlie's Tentet opened the first set with Take The A-Train during the Tentet's last residency at Ronnie Scott's jazzclub........
They also ended the second set with Strayhorn's gem ........ Just like Ellington always used to.
Ellington rules!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 20, 2005 11:40

For this year's tour:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Ameriquest Mortgage is proud to present loan opportunities (mortgage rates available upon request, must be 18 or older with an established credit history to apply, see representative in the lobby for details), and also, in conjunction with the Madison Square Garden, and with the sponsorship of your local coca-cola bottler, the Rolling Stones !!!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 20, 2005 12:08

Wembley 12.06.1999 : JJF

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home