Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Preston song basis for "Melody"?
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: September 9, 2009 23:20

The Wikipedia article about Billy Preston says, "Preston's 1973 'Do You Love Me' was the basis for the Stones' 'Melody' on their 1976 Black and Blue album."

Wikipedia is a bit of a joke, I know, but has anybody ever heard of this before? Is there any truth in this statement?

Re: Preston song basis for "Melody"?
Date: September 10, 2009 00:32

Actually, it was a riff Billy wrote with Mike Hunt of theBushmen.

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: September 10, 2009 13:57

I think there was "inspiration by Billy Preston" written on the "Black and blue" album cover.
It was rumoured that "Saint of me" was als o heavily inspired by Billy.

Date: September 10, 2009 14:08

<I think there was "inspiration by Billy Preston" written on the "Black and blue" album cover.>

That was for "Melody".

It has also been said that the bass riff in Miss You was written by Preston.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 10, 2009 16:20

Wikipedia is actually quite accurate with many of its posts. It has great medical information as well.
Preston, from numerous interviews with him states he wrote most of Miss You with Mick during rehearsals at the El Macombo.
Melody "inspired by Billy Preston" most likely as close to a song writing credit they would give a non member. And from interviews with Keith he was quite fed up with Billy hijacking the Stones sound.

Date: September 10, 2009 16:22

And upon further thought it is probably why Keith isn't playing on Saint of Me! Billy.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 10, 2009 16:29

Pietro
The Wikipedia article about Billy Preston says, "Preston's 1973 'Do You Love Me' was the basis for the Stones' 'Melody' on their 1976 Black and Blue album."

Wikipedia is a bit of a joke, I know, but has anybody ever heard of this before? Is there any truth in this statement?

Wiki a bit of a joke?? Well, I'll take Wiki over Compton ANYDAY. Of course, I can't judge Worldbook E. because I grew uo with it.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 10, 2009 17:51

melody, miss you and saint of me all reek of billy's influence....no reason to doubt billy's veracity....

Date: September 10, 2009 20:02

- I´ve been a Stonemaniac for almost 40 years but I reckon the human beings behind the instruments and mics as we all are just very........ fallible.

And long gone are the times when I had anything but just the occasional curiosity about their private lives. OK, if you have them as Music idols for so long it´s natural we hope the best for, on, about, and caused by them. But I think it´s not wise to pass this step, specially if you ´re past 18 y.o.

But, even if I try to just to listen to their music the reflex of some things just reaches you sometimes. One thing that I always found just...... small, even stingy is that resistence by Jagger-Keith to give credit when it´s owed on a composition.
Bill, Ronnie, Billy, Taylor, even Brian suffered this.
I could even understand, although not justify, this, when they were very youing at the 60´s, with Brian. But after they found Prince Rupert and all and became really ultra-rich this bugs me a bit.

And watch this terrible thought: Maybe Taylor and the late Billy didn´t sue them only for the memory and love of the good times spent.Although a thought that they were put on the lights by the name Rolling Stones seems to be fair to me also.

The word unnecessary just flashes so much in my mind on this issue.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 13, 2009 04:19

When Bill plays it live w/the Rhythm Kings he introduces it as a song written by Billy Preston.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: September 13, 2009 04:58

Chris Miller stated in an interview that "Miss You" was a rare (very rare) instance in which Bill "took over" the sound when they were tracking. True, Billy Preston wrote the tune (or the core of it), but the bass line is Bill's.

Tommy

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: April 28, 2011 23:09

I've just stumbled across this clip and as it hasn't been posted yet (or at least I wasn't able to find it) I thought I share it here.

It really bears a strong resamblance to Melody

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 28, 2011 23:20

whitem8
Preston, from numerous interviews with him states he wrote most of Miss You with Mick during rehearsals at the El Macombo.

There's no interview with Preston where he states that. There's one interview with Jagger where he states he wrote it at the El Mocambo with Preston on bass, and a statement by Wyman that he got the disco bass from Preston.

Mathijs

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 29, 2011 04:10

From4tilLate
Chris Miller stated in an interview that "Miss You" was a rare (very rare) instance in which Bill "took over" the sound when they were tracking. True, Billy Preston wrote the tune (or the core of it), but the bass line is Bill's.

Tommy

who's Chris Miller?

Date: April 29, 2011 04:39

Oh that definitely sounds like Melody!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 29, 2011 05:18

T&A
melody, miss you and saint of me all reek of billy's influence....no reason to doubt billy's veracity....

And those are 3 damn good songs, too.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 29, 2011 14:29

Glam Descendant
When Bill plays it live w/the Rhythm Kings he introduces it as a song written by Billy Preston.

Yes, I noticed that too. And I guess Bill knows.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 29, 2011 15:13

mike567
I've just stumbled across this clip and as it hasn't been posted yet (or at least I wasn't able to find it) I thought I share it here.

It really bears a strong resamblance to Melody

Inspiring!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home