Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dancing With Mr D. on stage .
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 8, 2009 18:03

I was listening yesterday "Dancing With Mr D. " from The King Biscuit Brussels Affair.
The version is really cool and nice ,great groove although I think there's something missing from the album GHS.

Apart from 1973 ,why this number never really took off in the following tours ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: Dancing With Mr D. on stage .
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 8, 2009 18:09

The performances of that song were excellent during the whole '73 tour, IMHO. But the song itself is a little repetitive and sludgy (both on GHS and live), despite the cool voodooish atmosphere, so I can see why they dropped it and never really looked back.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: September 8, 2009 23:22

I think it sucks. I just think it's not a good song. They played it well on the '73 European tour because just about everything they played back then sounded good. They had toured every year since '69 and were at the peak of their powers as a live band, but "Dancing With Mr. D" as a song is a big step down from their "golden era" material.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: September 9, 2009 00:09

The '73 live versions have more bite than the Goats Head Soup version. It's two completely different feels. Many times, artists want to have two different feels between a song on an album versus how it is performed live. It might be the case with "Dancing With Mr. D".

Date: September 9, 2009 00:21

Supposedly Jagger really wanted this as a single. It's so weird I see this thread beacsue I was just listening to it in the car and thinking about the live versions too. It's not the repetition that makes it a little boring; there are many songs that ride on one riff. It is just not that good a riff.
the lyrics, especially the second verse I think are really good.
"...will it be slow or will it be fast, the bite of a snake, the sting of a spider, a drink of Belladonna on a Toussaint night..'. Can't beat Jagger when he's on.
I think the video was awesome; Jagger in that gold leather suit, LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-09 00:21 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 9, 2009 00:55

I think the studio versions of Dancing With Mr D and, for that matter, @#$%&, are both very weak.

Bowie (for one) was getting a much better rock n' roll sound on his Aladin Sane album.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 9, 2009 01:08

mentioning Bowie here ....

one of his weaker riff-based tracks is Rebel Rebel .. which is more or less the same riff just sped up

(by the time of Diamaond dogs) he too had exhausted his 'rOck' period ....so he adeptly switched to a Soul train ...

.. something the Stones weren't 'at liberty' to do ...

.. though perhaps has something to do with their vaunted 'covers' album tht never materialised

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 9, 2009 01:52

I would trade a "warhorse" for this song any day.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 9, 2009 02:02

damn right ............. EVERY day

and infact the bass part lends itself to Darryl - and Ronnie could do it justice on slide

or maybe (a la IJWMLTY CIRCA 1990) ..... completely slow the whole thing down and interpet it as an old Blues with Keith on acoustic slide ........

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 9, 2009 02:57

I think it was a poor choice to include it in the '73 sets. I think the shows lost every bit of momentum when they played it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-06 13:46 by Sohoe.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 9, 2009 06:16

Damcing for Mr D could easily be imho the worst opening track to a stones album-just plain booooooooooooring and lifeless.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 9, 2009 07:40

Funny. It seems that they tried to copy that vibe groove for Love Is Strong that they had for the live Mr D in 73. Mr D live is excellent. Just because it's a bit slow suddenly they suck on a song.

What a toss that is.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 9, 2009 10:45

I always considered this as a great song. the slow riff adds to the 'vodoo' mood. the studio version is prestty lame but the live version is simply terrific. I never thought it was repetitive.

Date: September 9, 2009 11:46

As in many Stones songs, there is a groove and a riff that carries this tune. The question is if it's catchy and swinging enough? I think so, but it's not one of their best, imo.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 9, 2009 12:30

A great song that set the scene so perfectly for the other worldliness of Goat's Head Soup. They never made an album with so many floaty songs again - tracks like Can You Hear The Music, Coming Down Again, Winter and even Angie create an ambient vibe that really contrast the earthiness of Heartbreaker, Starfukcer, 100 Years Ago and Silver Train.

Date: September 9, 2009 12:44

Yes it´s repetitive and muddled sound on studio just like the rest of GHS.

Great riff,though and kind of a grower to my ears thru all these years.. With a middle eight it would go one step up, I guess.
On stage at that time I liked it more.No big deal, perhaps. At that beginning of the seventies, though, just everything would sound good on stage with them.

I know that some really just love it, but I find 'Luxury' also repetitive and I even like it less than DWMD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-10 20:07 by Gibson Fender-Nanker.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 9, 2009 14:01

Great groove live. And I loved the album version too! Trance voodoo rock. CCR on heroine. I love the video for it as well. The gold suite and glitter. Was a trippy phase for the Stones. Total decadence.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 9, 2009 17:36

Silver Dagger said it fantastically. That's very well put. Similar to Tattoo You in those regards ha ha.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: September 9, 2009 23:22

The guitar riffs are great, but the lyrics are daft. In my opinion, that's why the song never had legs.

I think the lyrics were subpar in all of "Goats Head Soup" except for "Angie." It really hurt that album.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 10, 2009 00:10

SwayStones
I was listening yesterday "Dancing With Mr D. " from The King Biscuit Brussels Affair.
The version is really cool and nice ,great groove although I think there's something missing from the album GHS.

Because Taylor left the band.winking smiley

Date: September 10, 2009 11:14

Amsterdamned
SwayStones

Because Taylor left the band.winking smiley

Yes...well,one's can say it like that ...winking smiley

The lyrics were quite lame and repetitive but I really like the groove /rythm on that one .And as whithem wrote, I loved the video and the sexy Mick with his golden pants .hot smiley

And no I wouldn't trade another Start Me Up for this song winking smiley

They didn't perform Monkey Man very often too....( Voodoo Lounge Tour... Licks Tour...then in 2007 )And Monkey Man is a great song .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 10, 2009 18:04

Great song. Great album opener. Great live

Date: September 10, 2009 20:18

It´s a great LP for those who´ve heard it and let it grow and flow. Maybe that floatiness on half of the songs that was referred above by Silver Dagger has a bit to do with the era, you kniow, some kind of progressive edge on some songs.Also I want to reckon this is strongly Jagger and a bit Taylor and Bill.

Shame about the sound though. With proper mix, master,etc. maybe it should never have been appointed as a letdown by the press at the time.

One that I have great hopes on the remasters series, I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-10 20:20 by Gibson Fender-Nanker.

Date: September 10, 2009 22:35

Gibson Fender-Nanker
It´s a great LP for those who´ve heard it and let it grow and flow. Maybe that floatiness on half of the songs that was referred above by Silver Dagger has a bit to do with the era, you kniow, some kind of progressive edge on some songs.Also I want to reckon this is strongly Jagger and a bit Taylor and Bill.

Shame about the sound though. With proper mix, master,etc. maybe it should never have been appointed as a letdown by the press at the time.

- I´ve been a Stonemaniac for almost 40 years but I reckon the human beings behind the instruments and mics as we all are just very........ fallible.

And long gone are the times when I had anything but just the occasional curiosity about their private lives. OK, if you have them as Music idols for so long it´s natural we hope the best for, on, about, and caused by them. But I think it´s not wise to pass this step, specially if you ´re past 18 y.o.

But, even if I try to just to listen to their music the reflex of some things just reaches you sometimes. One thing that I always found just...... small, even stingy is that resistence by Jagger-Keith to give credit when it´s owed on a composition.
Bill, Ronnie, Billy, Taylor, even Brian suffered this.
I could even understand, although not justify, this, when they were very youing at the 60´s, with Brian. But after they found Prince Rupert and all and became really ultra-rich this bugs me a bit.

And watch this terrible thought: Maybe Taylor and the late Billy didn´t sue them only for the memory and love of the good times spent.Although a thought that they were put on the lights by the name Rolling Stones seems to be fair to me also.

The word unnecessary just flashes so much in my mind on this issue.
A "new "Frenchie on IORR ....Wow !!! Great !
BTW ,how R U ? Tu es tellement prévisible que cela en devient ennuyeux.....grinning smiley
Pas très" Rock'n roll " tout ça.....

"Hey boy, do you wanna score?"
And you know how it is..."

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 10, 2009 22:42

mickscarey
Great song. Great album opener. Great live

Yes, I think it's simply an amazing song. I also love how it starts. How it builds up in the first 15-20 seconds.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 10, 2009 23:31

exactly!!!

Date: September 11, 2009 01:16

SwayStones
Gibson Fender-Nanker

- I´ve been a Stonemaniac for almost 40 years but I reckon the human beings behind the instruments and mics as we all are just very........ fallible.

And long gone are the times when I had anything but just the occasional curiosity about their private lives. OK, if you have them as Music idols for so long it´s natural we hope the best for, on, about, and caused by them. But I think it´s not wise to pass this step, specially if you ´re past 18 y.o.

But, even if I try to just to listen to their music the reflex of some things just reaches you sometimes. One thing that I always found just...... small, even stingy is that resistence by Jagger-Keith to give credit when it´s owed on a composition.
Bill, Ronnie, Billy, Taylor, even Brian suffered this.
I could even understand, although not justify, this, when they were very youing at the 60´s, with Brian. But after they found Prince Rupert and all and became really ultra-rich this bugs me a bit.

And watch this terrible thought: Maybe Taylor and the late Billy didn´t sue them only for the memory and love of the good times spent.Although a thought that they were put on the lights by the name Rolling Stones seems to be fair to me also.

The word unnecessary just flashes so much in my mind on this issue.
A "new "Frenchie on IORR ....Wow !!! Great !
BTW ,how R U ? Tu es tellement prévisible que cela en devient ennuyeux.....grinning smiley
Pas très" Rock'n roll " tout ça.....

"Hey boy, do you wanna score?"
And you know how it is..."

Hi, friend.
I´m not a Frenchman.
Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home