Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Comes Off as a Jerk Quite Often in Bill German Book: true? and real?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 8, 2009 06:23

Do you agree that he comes off in this way in the book and how true to life is this?

p

Re: Mick Comes Off as a Jerk Quite Often in Bill German Book: true? and real?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 8, 2009 06:48

I don't think so at all - he's Mick Jagger for crying out loud - what do you want him to do, hang out and chew the rag with fans? The guy has not had a moment's peace or privacy since the early 60s - AND STILL there's almost no dirt on the guy.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: September 8, 2009 07:06

I was actually more disturbed by the part where Mick yells downstairs and asks Jerry to answer the phone the next time it rings. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of Mick Jagger living a mundane, domesticated life. He's Mick Jagger. I expect the womanizing and rock star ego- even if it's nothing more than a calculated act most of the time.

It was somewhat comforting to find that German's book basically revealed each band member to be exactly what you would expect:

Mick, the one who knows he's better than everyone else
Keith, the loyal rogue
Ronnie, the man who should never be left alone
Charlie, the man who insists on being left alone
and Bill, the only one who realizes they're all insane.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 8, 2009 07:35

One thing about Mick is that he doesn't need a cadre of male buddies in the same way that Ronnie and Keith seem to. Apart from work and all its various aspects, his focus has always been on sexual conquests, if we are to believe Bianca, who said that by the end of their marriage, Mick had slept with every one of her friends, and Jerry, who claimed that Mick had slept with 4000 women in their 20 years together, as well as numerous other reports of Mick's adventures with women. Someone like Bill German would hardly be on Mick's radar, except as a hanger-on. So yes, he wouldn't have wasted much time or charm on Bill.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-08 07:37 by Bliss.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 8, 2009 08:56

FWIW, I know a gal who was their flight attendant on the 1981 tour (no, she's not a groupie), and this was her evaluation of the lot:
Keith: the nicest, mostly because he was drunk a good part of the time
Ron: the same, mostly because he was drunk a good part of the time
Charlie: very nice, very friendly, down to earth
Mick: the worst, not friendly at all, very cold
Bill: "a dirty old man," her words.
Actually, her kindest praises were for Ian McLagan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-08 09:39 by tomk.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2009 09:36

The old one about Mick bein' the mean one and Keith is the good
guy and I'm his best buddy is the WarHorse of writing about the Stones ....

They've been at it since the early 60's and they all know what levers ta pull on the machine....
But seriously though plexeee how the shag would anyone here on IORR know what Mick...Keef or any of 'em are really like ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 8, 2009 09:42

Bill German really seems to flatter Ronnie from who he became close.Charlie was always aloof, Bill Wyman is hardly mentioned .Mick is discribed as a very cold and distant person .As instance :Once, German called the lead singer to see if he could attend a party Mick was throwing. Jagger said of course and yelled to someone for the guest list. "I want to put a friend on." A few weeks later, Jagger passed German in the hall and acted as though he didn't know him.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: September 8, 2009 12:19

As Rockman says, after all these years Mick, Keith and Co are adept at giving us the stereotypes that we expect and we love.

No one is that black and white in real life, but it makes for easy writing for the biographer.

I really enjoyed Bill's book,it's an interesting insight. But it's subjective, couldn't be anything else.

The portrayal of Charlie as unapproachable doesn't fit with how IORRers are finding him at the concets he's doing at present. But then Bill's book is talking about 25 years ago, Charlie has no doubt changed during this time, I know I have.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 8, 2009 13:12

Mick is a "real nice bunch of guys."

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 8, 2009 13:31

Plexi - you might need to renew your TIGER BEAT Magazine subscription.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2009 13:43

Maybe better if he stops beatin' his tiger ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 8, 2009 15:51

it's funny to me that mick's winky do has not fallen off from all it's use .jerry hall saying he slept with 4000 girls,bianca says he slept with all of there friends .my my my.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 9, 2009 01:23

Mick did come off as kind of a jerk but someone said above the man has not been left alone for 45 years so I can understand it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home