Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones to play Toronto Live8 ?
Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: June 16, 2005 02:35

[www.canada.com]

Canadian Live 8 concert details still being worked out, World Vision says

Canadian Press

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

TORONTO (CP) - Canadian Live 8 concert organizers say Toronto is the "logical" place for the historic July 2 event and they have a "spectacular" lineup.

But with two weeks to go exactly who would take part - and the location - were in question as the mechanics of putting together such a massive concert were still being worked out Wednesday.

In fact, a spokesman for World Vision Canada, one of several organizations connected with Bob Geldof's anti-poverty Live 8 campaign, said an earlier statement that an announcement would come Thursday was premature.

"I think we're very close to an announcement," Philip Maher, senior communications manager for World Vision, said late Wednesday afternoon. Earlier in the day, his colleague Sharon Marshall had said an announcement was expected Thursday, that a venue had been secured and "the lineup is spectacular. I can tell you that. And that Canadians will be really proud of it."

But Maher said concert promoter Michael Cohl, one of the major players behind the 2003 SARS benefit concert, is the one calling the shots.

"And until we get official word - until he tells us what's going on for sure, because he's the one organizing the talent, he's the one organizing the venue. There's no question that . . . an announcement is imminent. But when exactly, we just don't know at this point."

"They're still nailing some stuff down," he said, adding that details are changing every hour.

"The one thing we can say is Toronto is the logical place for this," Maher said. "Whatever happens will more than likely happen in Toronto."

Cohl represents the Rolling Stones and the group will be practising in Toronto for their upcoming tour, prompting speculation that they would be part of the show.

Billy Talent's label Warner confirmed that the band had been asked to perform and agreed to the date, but hadn't heard about a venue yet.

The Barenaked Ladies, Jann Arden and Our Lady Peace have also come up as possible performers.

Geldof has spearheaded simultaneous concerts in Philadelphia, London, Paris, Rome and Berlin on July 2.

With U2, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Sting and Sarah McLachlan among the performers in those cities, Geldof's banking on the star-studded event raising awareness of poverty before leaders of the wealthy G-8 countries - which include Canada - meet in Britain July 6-8.

World Vision says Canadians will find a way to participate in the historic event.

"There are going to be lots and lots of ways for Canadians to be engaged in the purposes behind this concert," said Marshall.

"This concert is designed to put pressure globally on the G-8 leaders to make major changes in the way we're tackling poverty as a world."
© The Canadian Press 2005

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-16 02:35 by KeithRichards.

Re: Stones to play Toronto Live8 ?
Posted by: country honk ()
Date: June 16, 2005 16:20

According to B.Geldorf Live will also be in Tokyo, Toronto and Johannesburg....

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: June 16, 2005 16:25

...and shitty berlin
at Brandenburg Gate

Line Up:

* A-ha
* Bap
* Brian Wilson
* Crosby Stills and Nash
* Die Toten Hosen
* Lauryn Hill
* Peter Maffay

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Date: June 16, 2005 16:28

"According to B.Geldorf Live will also be in Tokyo, Toronto and Johannesburg.... "

and that probably means Stones is playing in Toronto.....

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 16, 2005 17:03

Nothing but rumours-----its already 2 weeks before the shows.

Latest rumour i think ( on german videotext) is that M. jackson probably will be

Sing for LIVE 8 in Phillad. or Berlin..............

Date: June 16, 2005 18:31

It's not only rumours - it will be announced tomorrow said by Geldorf himself:

[news.bbc.co.uk]

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: davido ()
Date: June 17, 2005 00:50

It's all but official the Stones will play Live 8
here in Toronto with Tragically Hip and perhaps Blue
Rodeo also signing on. Most likely site will be
Downsview Park. I'd expect it to be announced
tomorrow, Friday.

Date: June 17, 2005 02:19

That makes sense. Then the Stones can be headliners without having to compete with U2 and Paul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home