Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hyde Park 1969
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 14, 2005 18:25

Can someone please tell me the exact order that songs were played that day and if there are any songs that were left off of the current recording that is out there??

thanks

Re: Hyde Park 1969
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 14, 2005 18:28

setlist with running order here :

[www.rocksoff.org]

see the notes below for the list of songs included in the Tv broadcast

Date: June 14, 2005 20:11

thanks

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: June 15, 2005 05:16

"I'm Yours And I'm Hers" is that a Johnny Winter song?

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2005 06:23

Yep!

ROCKMAN

Date: June 15, 2005 09:13

I may have to get my first Stones boot just to hear them do that. Do they do it well? And did Johnny, (one of my favs), write it Rockman?

Date: June 15, 2005 09:34

Yep! it's the first track on his self titled album for Columbia.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 15, 2005 09:39

apparently they played it because it was a favourite of Brian's.
if you don't want to pursue bootlegs, RankOutsider, the track is in the film Stones in the Park, which is an official release, at least in Europe. whether or not they played it (or anything else) "well" that day, those renditions have really gotten under my skin - in a good way, i mean.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: June 15, 2005 10:07

They played "I'm Yours And I'm Hers" very poorly - very sloppy but still cool to watch...

Esky

Posted by: gerhard ()
Date: June 15, 2005 12:37

I have other order :
adonais
I`m yours and I`m hers
jumpin`jack flash
mercy mercy
stray cat blues
no expectations
I`m free
down home girl
love in vain
loving cup
honky tonk woman
midnight rambler
I can`t get no satisfaction
street fighting man
sympathy for the devil

Date: June 15, 2005 12:56

Nice set list.

I'll see if I can locate the film here ssoul, thanks.

And Rockman, I have that LP, (but currently no working turn-table). Is it even availible on cd? Because about a year ago I was looking for it 'cause I wanted to work up 'I'll Drown In My Tears' and had to end up buying this weird compilation on Columbia called 'johnny Winter: a rock n' roll collection' Anyway that's the news from here.

Date: June 15, 2005 13:08

Rockman, you're not gonna believe this! I just went to CD Universe and it is availible on cd! With a street date of May 18th, 2004! On 'Legacy Records' must have been just after I was lookijng for it. Weird, but goodsmiling smiley

May 18, 2004
Studio/Live Studio
Mono/Stereo Stereo
Guest(s) Willie Dixon; Edgar Winter
Producer Johnny Winter
Additional Info Remastered

Date: June 15, 2005 13:21

Good on ya Rank....I'm glad for ya ole son

Hey! Dont forget to play the Fooker LOUD...!!!

TAKE CARE
ROCKMAN

Date: June 15, 2005 17:58

I love the Stones doing I'm Hers She's Mine... It's loud, nasty, and out of tune....a beautiful mess. Did Jimmy Page borrow that riff or did Johnny Winter? I like the way the Stones play it better than that Zepplin track (I don't know the name of it). I have never heard Johnny Winter's version. When did he release it?

I have only seen clips of this show but the music is awesome. I love MTs scratchy guitar on Mercy, Mercy, Satisfaction and Midnight Rambler. The only dud for me is Down Home Girl which never seems to get moving.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:00

I think they played "Im Yours..." ok, considering it was the only time they played it - a few more times it could have been a real cool version - has a nice groove. Like the rest of the show it feels under-rehearsed. I have it on the HP video (which is the Granada tv show), but not on the vinyl boot. Their show is like that song generally, loose bordering into occ sloppy, but some grungey guitars, very 'hard rock' - by the time of the 69 US tour they'd be a relatively well-oiled machine, sleek lean & mean....

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:11

The full concert is available on various bootleg CDs. But it's always compiled from different sources in different quality, most tracks are mono soundboards, a few are audience recordings.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:24

john r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like the rest of the show it feels
> under-rehearsed.

To me the whole show sounds as if Keith had forgotten to tune his guitars since a year before and he had just jumped out of bed directly to the stage (which could have been)... I mean this show is remarkable (sp?) because of the "historic relevance" to the band, but as far as the performance, it really has to be one of the sloppiest and sub-quality of their whole career, IMO.

Of course it has its good moments: the blues licks on MR, JJF, but as a unit it is quite obvious that that day the Stones were too far of the well-oiled machine they were going to be a few months later.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-15 18:27 by bruno.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:27

I was always baffled why no-one noticed how out of tune it was? I'm no guitarist and I can tell.....

Date: June 15, 2005 18:31

ablett Wrote:
> I was always baffled why no-one noticed how out of
> tune it was? I'm no guitarist and I can tell.....

And talking about out-of-tune guitars, am I the only one who hears Keith's guitar on the L&G version of Midnight Rambler out of tune?? Many people here says it's one of the best versions of that song, but I hear a quite out-of-tune guitar.

Date: June 15, 2005 18:40

Well, the charm is as Cafaro says, "loud, nasty, out of tune - a beautiful mess!"
Johnny Winter's Columbia debut (which btw was upgraded last year w/ 2 or 3 bonus tracks - a mid-priced ($8.99 - 12.99) cd well worth getting, especially in this upgrade - was recorded in 1968, out in early '69. The Led Zep track Im Yours recalls is "Travelling Riverside Blues", the riffing & arr. very close to Winter's track (even tho TRB is a cover), recorded for the BBC in '69 & on the first LZ box set, or the 10-cd 'Studio Recordings"....

Date: June 15, 2005 19:11

Right. I know we all talk and hear about MT's solos but my favorite part of his guitar work is his rythm playing. To me, he really shines on this show. He drives every song. The band sounds very "heavy". I would rather hear them sound like this disc (out of tune, sloppy, un-rehearsed, metallic) than they have sounded on stage for the last 10 years. I'm sure Woody could do the same thing as far as the rythm is concerned. We know from his Faces days that he can rock.

I'm going to get the Winter disc today. His stuff from the 80s has always left me cold but I liked his work with Muddy.

I never knew that TRB was a cover....who did it first?

Date: June 15, 2005 19:33

Cafaro, Travelling Riverside is on the Robert Johnson "Complete Recordings" -
btw, another interesting Johnny Winter album is his '73 'comeback' "Still Alive & Well" - a strong well produced set, "Silver Train" made its debut here - 6 months before Goats Head. It also contains a version of 'Let It Bleed'(the album was made after beating dope addiction & 3 years of no recording activity)

Date: June 15, 2005 23:11

Cafaro, it looks like it was recorded in 2/69 (Nashville) and 3/69 (San Fransico) released later that year. (At least that's what the 'notes' about it say on CD Universe). The remastered version was released 5/04, on the 'Legacy/Columbia' label. (It was unavaible for some time). And like johnr says contains 3 bonus tracks. I think it's one of Johnny's best works. His version of 'I'll Drown In My Tears' has alway's been my favorite track. (Although I have yet to hear the bonus ones) His vocals, and, the arrangment on that song out do Ray IMHO. Is this a Stones thread? lol

God, I can't wait to hear that Stones version now! "loud, nasty, out of tune - a beautiful mess!" sounds good to me.

Date: June 15, 2005 23:50

Thanks,
I'm picking it up tonight after work.

Date: June 16, 2005 00:06

Hey John r do you realise that another take of Robert Johnson's - Travelling Riverside Blues was discovered in 1997 and can be found as a bonus track on the a 1998 Colombia/Legacy reissue of the Johnson album. The guitar work doesn't have quit the bite and power of the other version but it's just a miracle that they discovered another Johnson number some 60 years later.

Robert Johnson - King Of The Delta Blues Singers Columbia/Legacy 493006-2

ROCKMAN

Date: June 16, 2005 00:59

Thanks Rockman. And to think how young & naive I was when I said to myself, "get the complete recordings box - you'll never need another Johnson album..."

Date: June 16, 2005 01:04

Hey man dont be so hard on yaself...your always pumpin' info into IORR.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 16, 2005 02:34

Hey Bruno, I'm not surprised at all about Keith being out of tune on Midnight Rambler. In fact, he habitally is alittle off, especially during the late 60s and 70s. His guitar on 'All Down The Line' is about 1/4 step out of tune for example but I think being slightly off pitch adds a nice bit of tension to the music. By the way, did you ever work out that 'Brown Sugar' riff?

Date: June 16, 2005 11:12

ChrisM Wrote:
> Hey Bruno, I'm not surprised at all about Keith
> being out of tune on Midnight Rambler. In fact, he
> habitally is alittle off, especially during the
> late 60s and 70s. His guitar on 'All Down The
> Line' is about 1/4 step out of tune for example
> but I think being slightly off pitch adds a nice
> bit of tension to the music. By the way, did you
> ever work out that 'Brown Sugar' riff?

Hi, ChrisM, mate. Nice to find that I'm not dumb regarding Keith's out of tune guitar. I agree on him being out of tune quite often during the '70s, but what I found somewhat amazing is that many people consider that L&G version of MR their favourite. I agree on ADTL being slightly off, too, but I feel on this one the whole guitar is a bit off while the annoying thing on MR is that there is a string quite off-tune so it sounds worst.

As far as the BS riff, I finally worked out that descending lick and it sounds quite well when I play it along with the records. Maybe my version lacks a bit of Vibrato, but it doesn't sound too bad. Thanks to all you guitar players for opening my eyes to the light on this one!

Date: June 16, 2005 11:14

First time live with open G tuning. He was very out of tune.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1952
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home