Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Who were the Stones enablers?
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 28, 2009 16:03

....the longest tenured enabler was Anita. She afterall was the cause of Keith's arrest in Toronto.

Posted by: johnhenry ()
Date: August 28, 2009 16:31

You would think that it just some stones board. But when I would read things about Freddy with his sons. It always made me feel uncomfortable.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 28, 2009 17:51

johnhenry, You were a friend of Freddy and/or his family ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 28, 2009 21:24

I'm reading Chet Flippo's book from several decades back & Sessler features quite prominently; he took the fall in Fordyce i.e. he ENABLED Keith to keep on touring - and using!

Date: August 29, 2009 02:48

*Please see my earlier post at
Nominations for best use of a Stones song in a major motion picture
winking smiley

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 29, 2009 02:53

It might be a good idea to define enabler for the purpose of this discussion. It can mean a lot of things..in a literal sense, it is the supplier, because without him, someone literally is unable to use drugs.

But in another sense, an enabler is anyone who encourages drug use; either actively, by participation, approval or encouragement, or passively, by tolerance or turning a blind eye.

So in a literal sense, for Keith, the enablers we know of are the tour doctor, Tony Sanchez, the Marseille cowboys, Freddie Sessler, and (possibly) Keith's 'best friend' Roy.

In the second sense, again talking about Keith here, the list is very, very long...Anita, Brian, Marshall Chess, Gram Parsons, Jimmy Miller, Bobby Keys, Patti (actively when she first met him, passively in later years), Ronnie, Nick Kent, as well as Freddie Sessler and Tony Sanchez of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-29 03:04 by Bliss.

Date: August 29, 2009 02:56

I was friends with his son who passed in May. We went to many shows and hung out with Keith a lot. He was Freddy's youngest son and a great guy. He knew what his dad reputation was but for him the Stones and his father were family. They treated him like a little kid even when has an adult.

Date: August 29, 2009 14:46

Bliss, this Dutch guy thanks you for your explanation.

-------------------

Date: August 29, 2009 14:51

Johnhenry, I see your point. Thanks for explaining. It is all different when you know someone in person. I didn't know that Stefan was a friend of yours. I am very sorry that you lost your friend.

-------------------

Date: August 29, 2009 15:45

I was best friends with Stefan and was good friends with his brother Larry. Larry has some the greatest rock stories. I wish he would write a book.

Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: August 29, 2009 17:36

Enablers? Come now...it's not as if Anita, Spanish Tony, Freddie Sessler, etc, et al put a gun to Keith's head and forced him to do all that blow and smack...a bit of free will needs to be taken into account here. It'd be as if Woody decided to blame his rampant alcoholism on his boozing family or that girlfriend of his who died in a car smash on her way to one of his early gigs (Birds, maybe? Been a while since I read Woody's book). We all dig our own graves, as it were (well, unless you're murdered or something, of course)

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: August 29, 2009 18:38

johnhenry
You would think that it just some stones board. But when I would read things about Freddy with his sons. It always made me feel uncomfortable.

I share your opinion .I remember being touched by reading this :

I am posting on my friends site, Freddy Sessler was my father, my name is Stefan Sessler. Freddy was indeed a very close friend to keith as well as just about everyone else who was anyone in 70's rock and roll. You want more info on Freddy read Victor Bockris bio on Keith, fairly accurate. Freddy first met Keith in the early 70's...they shared several passions including WW2 history (my Dad was a holocoast survivor) and music. Freddy, along with James Callaghan, woody and keith were all present at the famous bust at Fordyce, Arkansas ('72 tour I believe, maybe '75) We buried him in his Fordyce 4 T-shirt of which each of the main players had one. Freddy was there for Keith following the Toronto bust when everyone else more or less left him out to dry. Freddy toured with the stones continually, Finding much pleasure in traveling around the world with the worlds greatest rock and roll band. He was a master storyteller. He certainly lived the most interesting life of anyone I've ever known. More often than not the after show party ended up in his room and he continued with this lifestyle well into his 70's.His lAST TOUR WAS BRIDGES TO BABYLON, I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO CATCH ABOUT 30 shows on that long tour with him. We all miss him greatly. A Stones backstage just doesn't seem the same without Freddy Sessler there. RIP Daddy.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 30, 2009 12:14

SwayStones
johnhenry

I share your opinion .I remember being touched by reading this :

I am posting on my friends site, Freddy Sessler was my father, my name is Stefan Sessler. Freddy was indeed a very close friend to keith as well as just about everyone else who was anyone in 70's rock and roll. You want more info on Freddy read Victor Bockris bio on Keith, fairly accurate. Freddy first met Keith in the early 70's...they shared several passions including WW2 history (my Dad was a holocoast survivor) and music. Freddy, along with James Callaghan, woody and keith were all present at the famous bust at Fordyce, Arkansas ('72 tour I believe, maybe '75) We buried him in his Fordyce 4 T-shirt of which each of the main players had one. Freddy was there for Keith following the Toronto bust when everyone else more or less left him out to dry. Freddy toured with the stones continually, Finding much pleasure in traveling around the world with the worlds greatest rock and roll band. He was a master storyteller. He certainly lived the most interesting life of anyone I've ever known. More often than not the after show party ended up in his room and he continued with this lifestyle well into his 70's.His lAST TOUR WAS BRIDGES TO BABYLON, I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO CATCH ABOUT 30 shows on that long tour with him. We all miss him greatly. A Stones backstage just doesn't seem the same without Freddy Sessler there. RIP Daddy.

Thank you very much for posting this, SwayStones!!

Posted by: jansom ()
Date: September 15, 2009 07:50

I was good friends with Stefan Sessler in high school, shocked to hear he died. How did it happen?

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 15, 2009 17:23

I new Freddie very well along with his sons Stefan and, unfortunately, another son who also died a few years ago. Freddie was terrific and got me backstage a zillion times from 1989 through his last tour.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 15, 2009 17:53

the most absurd thing to me is to say that anybody could twist any of the stones arms into doing anything that they would not wanna do is well pure fiction more like science fiction.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 15, 2009 18:01

Jeff was the other sons who died in 2005, I believe. Sad

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: September 15, 2009 20:36

I proper recovery language, an enabler is a person who supports, either financially, or by keeping a roof over their head, or by covering up for, a drug addict or alcoholic, thus enabling the person to continue the behavior. Classic enablers are usually family members or spouses/partners.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 15, 2009 21:01

From4tilLate
I proper recovery language, an enabler is a person who supports, either financially, or by keeping a roof over their head, or by covering up for, a drug addict or alcoholic, thus enabling the person to continue the behavior. Classic enablers are usually family members or spouses/partners.

No offense, thanks for not leaving anyone out, LOL

Date: September 15, 2009 22:41

At the end of the day, anyone who makes it easier in any way for an alcoholic or drug user to continue is an enabler.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 15, 2009 23:26

I thought Roy was the Accountant. he getting a lot of power in this thread

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 16, 2009 10:16

>> rendered Keith incapable of fulfilling his obligations on the tour <<

... when was Keith incapable of fulfilling obligations? what tour, and which obligations?
and what page(s) in Bill German's book are you getting that from, Bliss?

Date: September 16, 2009 11:07

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-25 07:47 by Bliss.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 16, 2009 11:52

thanks Bliss - "slept through a rehearsal" certainly sounds a lot less sensational
than "incapable of fulfilling his obligations on the tour"

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: September 16, 2009 16:19

with sssoul
thanks Bliss - "slept through a rehearsal" certainly sounds a lot less sensational
than "incapable of fulfilling his obligations on the tour"

but it's the same thing.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home