Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Question about Jah Is Not Dead
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 20, 2015 14:57

Bill is here ! good vibes

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 20, 2015 17:29

Hey Bill...where the hell you been?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 26, 2017 14:02

Confirmation from Boz Scaggs: Jagger and Scaggs vocals and guitar, Wood on bass and Watts on drums.

Mathijs

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 26, 2017 15:52

And what about the coke quote ?! lol

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 11, 2019 18:00

I always heard "Ronnie" in that quote but if he was playing bass as confirmed by Boz Scaggs that probably doesn't work !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 11, 2019 19:13

bluesinc.
story i´ve heard: they played it to the record company, it was round 45 mins and they said this is our new album

No that happened during the 77/78 SG sessions when a bunch of record execs wanted to take part in the creation of the record (source : Barbara Charrone's book).

Date: January 12, 2019 15:01

Glad it was confirmed re Scaggs . Surely his voice. Plus Romeo is a very different person, age, accent.
Wood for sure on Bass.
to me it sounds like Jagger just says "If you wanna do coke do it it another room". There is some implied syllable mumbo jumble in there, but maybe just tripping over 'do dewy'

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 12, 2019 16:00

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-12 16:02 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 16, 2019 03:48

I always heard Dewey too.

Date: April 1, 2020 18:29

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-01 18:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Jah Is Not Dead
Posted by: bobo ()
Date: March 31, 2020 23:33

Anyone noticed that about 1min11sec into the song Mick shouts out "you gonna do any coke go and do it in another room". Never noticed this before tonight while listening to it again.

Re: Jah Is Not Dead
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 1, 2020 03:24

Perhaps the most un-fitting title for a song and the most pretentious prattle from Mick in it. No wonder this one sits in the can.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2020 03:35

Boz Scaggs guitar …..

ROCKMAN

Date: April 1, 2020 11:32

bobo
Anyone noticed that about 1min11sec into the song Mick shouts out "you gonna do any coke go and do it in another room". Never noticed this before tonight while listening to it again.

You can even find who (the name) Mick addresses this to if you use the search function here smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-01 11:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 1, 2020 13:50

DandelionPowderman
bobo

You can even find who (the name) Mick addresses this to if you use the search function here smiling smiley

Er, who?

Fantastic outtake though, one of my favorite outtakes of the Stones.

Mathijs

Date: April 1, 2020 14:03

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
bobo

Er, who?

Fantastic outtake though, one of my favorite outtakes of the Stones.

Mathijs

If memory serves, you came up with that first name, after some deciphering grinning smiley (Dewey? Hewey? - I don't remember). My point was, we've been discussing this before, and it's all here in the wonderful archives of IORR smiling smiley

However, we don't know who that is.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 1, 2020 17:31

Correct and as posted in one of the numerous threads about JISD I also always heard "If you're gonna do coke Ronnie, doit, doit in the other room".

[iorr.org]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 1, 2020 18:34

Vudicius came up with "Dewey". Thanks for searching thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 1, 2020 20:13

jbwelda
Perhaps the most un-fitting title for a song and the most pretentious prattle from Mick in it. No wonder this one sits in the can.

jb

If you mean Mick pontificating that "the problem of all religions is religiousness" or specifically "the problem of Christianity is that it's Christian," consider it a dry run for the opening of "Send It To Me," the album's eventual reggae song with "I think I had enough, you know religion is tough, it's a state of mind and I don't need it."

Bearded Mick's HIGH TIMES interview during the making of the album has more of the same with Mick taking pot shots at religion, specifically Catholicism and its iconography, and making somewhat embittered remarks about his soon-to-be former in-laws. Regardless of where one stands on the issue of religion, Mick's bitter divorce with Bianca was ongoing and like several songs of the era ("Lies" and "Respectable" and, of course "Some Girls"), Mick was feeling angry. It was perfect for the punk feeling of a number of the songs.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 1, 2020 21:28

Jah Is Not Dead is a great song, the whole album: double ted vinyls called Rolling Stones Harlem Shuffle is a great to party!

Date: April 1, 2020 23:47

Rocky I was referring almost exclusively to the "want to do coke" line (like Mick wouldn't be standing in line for it were it for real)...to me it was just thrown in there to show how reverent he was to "Jah" or something. I could have it all wrong, that was just my impression there. Maybe I should go back and listen to it again...part of my problem is I do not remember any music worthy of being called Reggae in there, but I was just getting deep into reggae at that time so maybe I missed it. Seems like the track is admired here enough to make me want to reassess my position on it.

My buddy Mike Cacia and his frontman Earl Chin had the bearded twins on their Rockers TV show in NYC...and they had to cut the hell out of it because both of them had very visible dandruff in the strangest places...I didn't know nose and beard hairs would have white dandruff like that. I have the outtakes from that on VHS somewhere and they are hilarious, two hours cut down to about 20 broadcast minutes.

jb

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 2, 2020 01:22

gotdablouse
Correct and as posted in one of the numerous threads about JISD I also always heard "If you're gonna do coke Ronnie, doit, doit in the other room".

[iorr.org]

That's a bingo!

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: April 2, 2020 02:19

Does "Jah Is Not Dead" have any relevance to the song "Jah Wonderful" recorded during the SOME GIRLS sessions? I posted a version of "Jah Wonderful" taken from the SNL rehearsals in October '78 on my channel a while back.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-02 02:20 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 2, 2020 06:13

jbwelda
My buddy Mike Cacia and his frontman Earl Chin had the bearded twins on their Rockers TV show in NYC...and they had to cut the hell out of it because both of them had very visible dandruff in the strangest places...I didn't know nose and beard hairs would have white dandruff like that. I have the outtakes from that on VHS somewhere and they are hilarious, two hours cut down to about 20 broadcast minutes.

jb

Figures after I write WAR AND PEACE it's not even the proper reference! Meantime, I hope you're able to circulate the unedited Rockers '80 show sometime. I know the broadcast version well.

Date: April 2, 2020 07:07

So I was just reviewing this track as I have it on the "get the fcuk outta here" on the Beev Records CD I bought back when it came out. This version is some 10 min 11 seconds and it doesn't have the "coke" comment at 1:11, by that time it is well into the song itself. Is this the same version being discussed but edited? Seems to me on my Paris Rehearsals vinyl it wasn't this long and the comment was there, but its been ages since I have played it.

Going through all my boot Stones cds I bought in the nineties is a total time trip though, well worth the time just for the stroll down memory lane. Have a couple hundred of them from various periods, many cdrs people were kind enuff to make me, but most are originals.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 2, 2020 07:27

…. but but jb how did you know what Mick
said if you only have the edited version ????? divine jah intervention …. HHHHaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: April 2, 2020 07:52

I remembered a comment like that from the vinyl paris rehearsals version plus I think I have at least a couple other (same?) versions on boots I haven't come across yet...still got a couple boxes to go through. think I will fire up the old technics and spin the vinyl tomorrow though, but I do have to say I think I was correct, not much reggae on that track, pretty much just loose riffing on Jah's name and some current topics of the day.

Rocky, so it was Rockers TV you were thinking of? I will dig out the vhs tapes and see if I can find that one. Mike gave me copies of most of his shows, not just the broadcast versions but the complete sessions, so I have several boxes full of them. Most are not marked clearly but I can see what I can do.

jb

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 2, 2020 14:23

I find "Jah Is Not Dead" such a wonderful experiment. Probably their most 'hardcore' attempt on reggae. That said, I perfectly well understand that it didn't make EMOTIONAL RESCUE, and probably never was any strong candidate. Had the album been a Pathe Marconi era version of EXILE, it might have room in one of its four sides (and it surely would have been their most mocked album by critics but a gem of harcore fans now haha), but now it sounds like a warming up thing for the real candidates, like getting into mood, as they do with blues jams. Part of its spirit can be heard in "Send It To Me" and, interestingly, in one verse of "Emotional Rescue", in which Jagger adapts the reggae delivery.

Damn I like Jagger doing his ironic reggae thing - with the same tongue-in-cheek attitude as he does most of his country&western things. Over-the-top but still charming and in control. Being totally present but still looking it like from a distance (very English?). Acting rastaman, but still making it very clear that he is not one. Like only he can. I am sure it annoys many people, but for me it works mighty, mighty fine.

- Doxa

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 2, 2020 14:27

You're onto something but when Mick told Peter Tosh he walked barefoot he still crossed a line

Date: April 2, 2020 19:32

And Tosh crossed a line when he refused to shake Jaggers hand because he didn't want to get "batty man germs". It cuts both ways.

jb

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home