Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Jah Is Not Dead - questions
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 17, 2009 15:36

Also being a reggae fan, I´ve been wondering about this outtake from 1979.

Felix Aeppli states that the original composer is Hamilton Castel or Rodney Winston Godfrey.
Now, there is a song called Jah No Dead by Burning Spear (=Winston Rodney). It has nothing to do with the Stones track, though.
Hamilton Castel is totally unknown to me, even though I´ve listened a lot to reggae from the 60´s up to the mid 80`s. (There´s Lacksley Castell and Soljie Hamilton of course, but...)

Any information about this would be very much appreciated!!
I´d really like to hear the original reggae version!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-05 17:00 by bv.

Re: Question about Jah Is Not Dead
Date: August 17, 2009 22:04

I think the original is from 1975 to 1978, if that is any help.
Any reggae fans here?

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 17, 2009 22:18

Does anyone know who Dewey is?

Jagger sais "If you're gonna do coke Dewey, do it in the other room" during the take which always makes me chuckle.
At least, I think that's what he sais.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-17 22:19 by vudicus.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 17, 2009 22:19

story i´ve heard: they played it to the record company, it was round 45 mins and they said this is our new album

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 17, 2009 22:21

I am a huge reggae fan. Here is some info on this track. There is also a song called Jah is Wonderful, there is a 50 minute version of this jam from I think 1975 in Paris.

Jah is Not Dead (Jagger/Richards)
recorded Jan 18 - Feb 12th 1979, Bahamas

Jah is Not Dead may have been inspired by the 1978 film Rockers, which is about Jamaican like and features local musicians. The Stones recorded Jah is Not Dead with the help of Max Romeo and Boz Scaggs. Mick performs the vocals for the first verse before Max Romeo takes up the lyrics about 2,00 years of Christianity before ending with Mick and Max skanking and chanting together, Jah is Not Dead on this 10 minute epic.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 17, 2009 22:59

vudicus
Does anyone know who Dewey is?

Jagger sais "If you're gonna do coke Dewey, do it in the other room" during the take which always makes me chuckle.
At least, I think that's what he sais.

I always thought he said "if you're gonna do that coke-doing do it out in the other room".

Mathijs

Date: August 18, 2009 00:24

Thanks Hound Dog!
"Rockers" were released in 1979, so the Stones track could hardly be inspired by that. Burning Spear´s studio version of Jah No Dead is from 1978, though.

Before I saw the composer credit on Aeppli´s site, I always assumed that Jah Is Not Dead was a Stones original - but if it is, why the credit?
Who is that singing after 5 minutes - Boz Scaggs? Doesn´t sound like Max Romeo at all to me...
Did I mention that it´s a great track!?

Date: August 18, 2009 00:27

Yeah it is Boz Scaggs.
And I don't think there is a Dewey.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 18, 2009 03:51

Sounds to me like, "If you're gonna do coke Ronnie, doit, doit in the other room". He doesn't sound pleased.

Date: August 18, 2009 17:43

Thanks P R 200 for the Boz Scaggs confirmation, I´ve never really listened to him...

So no one knows anything more then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-18 17:43 by rootsman.

Date: December 9, 2010 20:18

Bump...

This song keeps intriguing me, as it's utterly fantastic! Who plays on it? Who wrote it?

As far as I can hear, it's Charlie on drums. Then Bozz Scaggs on first guitar. Bass sounds very much like Wood. Second guitar very much sounds like Jagger's part of Fingerprint File live in '75. Is the second voice after Jagger Bozz Scaggs, or Max Romeo?

Mathijs

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 9, 2010 22:01

I never really heard "Dewey" either but if it was maybe it was "Dewey Cox" from "Walk Hard" fame!

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 10, 2010 01:55

Hound Dog
Here is some info on this track. There is also a song called Jah is Wonderful, there is a 50 minute version of this jam from I think 1975 in Paris.

50 minute version!!! Never even heard of that, is there a copy of it floating around??

Date: December 10, 2010 11:29

Listening to older Boz Scaggs albums like "Boz Scaggs & Band" or "Moments" it sounds obvious.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 10, 2011 10:51

Currently listening to it heavily even if I always listened to it regularely. It has something brilliant. The guitars interaction is incredible... a must.
I wish it could surface officially. At least we need a cleaned up version.
A 50' jam in 75 in Paris ?? the Stones in Paris in 75 ?? sure ?

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 10, 2011 13:28

coffeepotman
Hound Dog
Here is some info on this track. There is also a song called Jah is Wonderful, there is a 50 minute version of this jam from I think 1975 in Paris.

50 minute version!!! Never even heard of that, is there a copy of it floating around??

Nope. The '50 minute' story comes from Barbara Charone's book. Something along the lines of Jagger telling a visiting executive to the studio in Paris (1977) that the 50-minute version was going to be the new Stones album. Then, after seeing the look of incredulity on the guy's face he hit him with the punchline - 'we should be able to edit it down to 45 minutes...'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-10 13:29 by Gazza.

Date: April 19, 2011 10:09

[www.yousendit.com]

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: April 19, 2011 10:31

A bit OT, but as you are a reggae fan - Louis Bertignac claims that he started a reggae version of "Johnny B. Goode" while jamming with some of the Stones (Charlie, Bill, maybe Ronnie) at Pathe Marconi (the Stones and Telephone were sharing the studio). This was recorded, and Peter Tosh released a reggae version of this song on his next album...

Louis Bertignac also claims that he helped Ronnie shape his solo on Beast Of Burden.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 19, 2011 11:38

I love this tune
I'dlike it to be edited and released.......
I thought lead guitar was Keith
I thought Keith played in a lot of songs...........and he did'nt
My myth is loosing energy..............

Date: April 19, 2011 11:57

Date: April 19, 2011 12:30

Can we agree that the second vocal is Boz Scaggs, and not Max Romeo? It's just wonky to assume this is Romeo.

Date: April 19, 2011 12:57

LOL! I'm in for Boz smiling smiley

Date: April 19, 2011 21:14

Palace Revolution 2000
Can we agree that the second vocal is Boz Scaggs, and not Max Romeo? It's just wonky to assume this is Romeo.

No, it's just plain stup....

Sorry, wonky. It's wonky.

Mathijs

Date: April 19, 2011 21:31

gwen
A bit OT, but as you are a reggae fan - Louis Bertignac claims that he started a reggae version of "Johnny B. Goode" while jamming with some of the Stones (Charlie, Bill, maybe Ronnie) at Pathe Marconi (the Stones and Telephone were sharing the studio). This was recorded, and Peter Tosh released a reggae version of this song on his next album...

Louis Bertignac also claims that he helped Ronnie shape his solo on Beast Of Burden.

Thanks for this info!
The Peter Tosh Johnny B Goode is really good, by the way...
He also rewrote (parts of) the lyrics to better suit him.

Still no info on an original version of Jah Is Not Dead...??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-19 21:32 by rootsman.

Date: April 20, 2011 12:12

Bertignac plays regularely nowadays with Bill.. he says he understands why Bill does not move on stage. Because Bill's playing is very accurate.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 20, 2015 10:39

Always loved that song and yes I remember that 50' version story, hehe..

What brings me here is the somewhat similar "Jah Wonderful" 6' track that I just discovered this morning [www.youtube.com] at 23'16" and I'm quite the outtake collector so I'm probably not the only one to have missed it, enjoy !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: May 20, 2015 10:54

gotdablouse
I'm quite the outtake collector so I'm probably not the only one to have missed it, enjoy !

Available since years on OBR and VGP.

Date: May 20, 2015 11:01

Right...now how about discussing the track unless you can point me to a previous thread about it?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: May 20, 2015 11:18

gotdablouse
Right...now how about discussing the track unless you can point me to a previous thread about it?

You diggressed with Jah wonderful, not me! (this track has anyway nothing to do with Jah Is Not Dead)

About Jah Is Not Dead, impossible for me to listen it in its entirely, sorry.
I like the atmosphere of the first minutes, but I get bored after a while.
I am not a reggae fan btw.

Date: May 20, 2015 12:10

Well if JIND is indeed an original it's not hard to hear that JW could have inspired it, both the lyrics and music, but if you don't like reggae I can understand you're not interested in discussing, somebody else certainly will.

--------------

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home