Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Your first disapointment of a Rolling Stones-record
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 15, 2009 04:59

I was too young in the 60s to be into any Stones albums. I listened to the singles my older siblings played. When I was 12 or so I got into Ya Yas and was hooked. But I can't comment on the pre-YaYas stuff because I discovered it much later, and out of sequence.

My first disappointment was Emotional Rescue. It was a let down. The best songs sounded like leftovers from Some Girls. A couple of great records followed (I loved Undercover esp for some of the political commentary). But the wheels started coming off with Dirty Work. Just a bad record.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: August 16, 2009 04:47

my first disapointment of rolling stones record will be the next one where everyone slags it after hearing it once the first day of release and then lamenting that its not exile on main st and then getting into the taylor vs. ronnie thing AGAIN and then dissing darryl jones for not being bill wyman and of course totally hating the songwriting, arrangements, mixing,solos,album cover,lack of relevance,and overall lack of that "old zest"........sigh....

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 16, 2009 05:22

and lets not forget that wonderful vegas back up band since 89 which btw is 99 percent of the problem

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: August 16, 2009 12:31

The 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' album really is the Stones relinquishing pretty much all artistic inclinations and attempting to pander to the lowest common denominator. The songs are pretty sketchy and underdeveloped, the rocky sound appears too contrived and forced, and even when on occasions the group does sounds fairly fresh and vital the songs tend to lead nowhere, Dance Little Sister being a perfect example. However, the album isn't completely without charm - i like 'Luxury', - i think the song works pretty well and is a slightly new direction for the Stones with its light reggae influence, i especially like Mick's vocal, and 'Time Waits For No-one' works splendidly in terms of vocals/musicianship even if like the rest of the album the song still appears somehow to lack the carefully constructed focus of the Stones best work. The Stones by this period were very much parodying what being a rock group was all about, without paying attention to the things that made them special in earlier years. It must be what all non music fans must have imagined rock music to be like - bland and formulaic. The Stones would to a point recover their form, however by the time of 'Undercover' this would pretty much prove typical. However, the 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' album still contains a certain intoxicating campy decadence which would pretty much be lost by the eighties. In its place would be a kind of polish and professionalism which would be even less appealing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-16 12:45 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 16, 2009 13:09

Goats Head Soup after 4 great great records in a row I was really disapointed, although my opinion changed by the years.

And I remember Between the Buttons, I got this record from a friend who didn't like it, I think it was '71 man what a shitty album was that back then, I only loved Back Street Girl

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: August 16, 2009 15:30

Since I am not that old I got into Stones for about 10 years ago.

My biggest disapointmen is probably Live Licks, Shine a Light and No Security. Think that it is a little waste of time, and even the second side on Live Licks did include songs I wanted to hear, like Love Train for example. Also Worried About You , one of my favourite tunes was thin and Micks voice not on top.

Otherwise, I don't really listen to Bridges To Babylon. Saint Of Me, Already Over Me and Out Of Control was good, but never really listen to it full time, don't think I have listened to the full version of Flip The Switch for several years.

Also Dirty Work is the altime low I think, only One Hit and Harlem Shuffle is decent,

I am not really a fan of Undercover and Between The Buttoms, altough I like She Smiled Sweetly a lot.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: August 16, 2009 19:36

My biggest disappointment was and still is the infamous DIRTY WORK

CHARLIE

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: August 16, 2009 19:58

DIRTY WORK

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 16, 2009 20:06

Part of the deal of being a long-term fan of the Rolling Stones is riding out many a disappointing record and savoring eventual redemption. Because their best work (early singles, JJF thru Exile) is so brilliant, the records that fall short (GHS, IORR, B&B, Emotional Rescue) can't help but disappoint.

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: August 17, 2009 00:41

melillo
and lets not forget that wonderful vegas back up band since 89 which btw is 99 percent of the problem

Amen! When I see the videos from the 70's and then see them on stage with their entourage, what an absolute joke! Get back to playing rock n' roll on stage and leave the lounge act back in Vegas where it belongs. No disrespect intended for Bernard and Lisa, talents in their own right, but being the driving force behind the Stones!? I'm sorry. Might as well have Barney the Dinosaur be the opening act. O.K. - I'm done!

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: August 17, 2009 03:34

UnionHall
melillo

Amen! When I see the videos from the 70's and then see them on stage with their entourage, what an absolute joke! Get back to playing rock n' roll on stage and leave the lounge act back in Vegas where it belongs. No disrespect intended for Bernard and Lisa, talents in their own right, but being the driving force behind the Stones!? I'm sorry. Might as well have Barney the Dinosaur be the opening act. O.K. - I'm done!

I love that term, "lounge act"!!!

...that cracks me up.

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: August 17, 2009 06:49

Dirty Work. And it's been continually increasing disappointment ever since.

Posted by: B-Flat ()
Date: August 17, 2009 16:53

I was expecting a new Rolling Stones record since I became a Stones fan, and unfortunately it was Dirty Work. I was 14 when they released Dirty Work, and I could not believed that the band that was playing were the Stones. I was really disappointed.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 18, 2009 04:13

But Dirty Work IS Rock and Roll.

It has Mr Rock and Roll playing with the freedom, lack of restraint, gusto, gutsiness, creativity not witnessed since Exile.

From Exile to Dirty Work Jagger had been the main creative force.
The Fall (Keith's) from Exile to the brain-dead, static & stale 'riffing' of If You Can't Rock Me and Dance Little Sister is astonishing. "The Needle and the Damge Done" indeed.

He raises his game somewhat on Undercover - but it's still mainly Berry pastiche stuff.

With DW his zeal is back - and he's finding new sounds and nuances - and Genuine ENERGY!

Dirty Energy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-18 04:15 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 18, 2009 04:18

Four Stone Walls
But Dirty Work IS Rock and Roll.

It has Mr Rock and Roll playing with the freedom, lack of restraint, gusto, gutsiness, creativity not witnessed since Exile.

From Exile to Dirty Work Jagger had been the main creative force.
The Fall (Keith's) from Exile to the brain-dead, static & stale 'riffing' of If You Can't Rock Me and Dance Little Sister is astonishing. "The Needle and the Damge Done" indeed.

He raises his game somewhat on Undercover - but it's still mainly Berry pastiche stuff.

With DW his zeal is back - and he's finding new sounds and nuances - and Genuine ENERGY!

Dirty Energy.

alright - who's paying you off for this?

Date: August 18, 2009 04:52

ST(non-party)

I'm a martyr for the cause - the cause being genuine creative rock - to boldly seek it out and to boldly take it to new dominions and domains .....

.... (it's a dirty job - but someone's got to do it ....)

for anyone who cannot recognise the sheer creative genious and exquisite execution of that lead guitar on Winning Ugly - let them forever be lost

... but I'll save eulogies of Keith's playing and renaissance, as first witnessed in the year of 1986, for another inevitable 'Dirty Work is Drab' thread ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-18 04:56 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: August 18, 2009 04:55

wow - whatever it is, i'm sure you're being underpaid!

Date: August 18, 2009 05:00

oh all right -

all donations to the cause gratefully accepted -

Date: August 18, 2009 05:19

i'll admit it does rock. but, name a rock and roll record that doesn't?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2009 05:58

Any of Pat Boone apple-pie smulch doll r..r..rock & rollies ....
Ain't That A Shame ...Tutti Frutti...Flip Flop and Fly ....Honey Hush and there's more ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 19, 2009 13:03

UnionHall
melillo

They need those backing singers and additional musicians.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: August 19, 2009 15:26

Live Licks and SAL suck for me New Sec. does not do it for me either
Steel Wheels sucks too. Don't care much for VL and BTB

Love: Black and Blue - Some Girls - GHS - Exile - ER - LYL - LIB - Beg.B. - SF

Allright with: DW and IORR

Dig the old stuff too but not into Meijestic etc.

Posted by: Yannis16 ()
Date: August 28, 2009 01:41

Some people talked about Some Girls and Exile. Well I agree.
When I heard SG in '78 did not like it at all. Years later I heard the outtakes and I found them much better. Miss you of the Woodstock tapes version I think was great.
Exile had too much sax for my taste. Don't like the outtakes either. I like only Ventilator Blues (official album version).

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: August 28, 2009 05:20

Goats head soup and dirty work

carlitos
tenerife

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: August 28, 2009 05:23

I discovered the Stones when I was 15 in 1992... My first disappointment was Bridges to Babylon, What a downer...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 28, 2009 06:24

Father Ted
UnionHall
melillo

They need those backing singers and additional musicians.

no they dont, strip it down and just play some rock n roll like ala 62-82

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: August 28, 2009 06:25

I was very disappointed when I first bought Let It Bleed - it just sounded so dark and dreary to me. Ultimately, I now consider it to be one of the most consistent rock albums of all time - can never tire of it no matter how often I hear it. Was also disappointed in Goats Head Soup, especially coming after Exile, which quite possibly can never be topped. The most consistently disappointing album for me is Bridges to Babylon. In fact, I have the case but can't find the CD, and I really could care less whether I find it or not. I am currently rediscovering A Bigger Bang. Playing it in the car and currently on the third run through. There's some darn good stuff to be found here! It doesn't hang with the Big Four, but it sure leaves some of their others a mile down the road. Can't wait to see what they come up with next. If I don't over-expect, I'm less likely to be disappointed. But how exciting is it for us when we hear they are in the studio wrapping up a new album? At least it gives us a point of light at the end of the tunnel.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: August 28, 2009 06:39

ABB

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 28, 2009 10:46

Rockman
Cuttin' the corners off Thru The Past Darkly ...friggin' album kept rollin' out..
Bit like Ogden's Nut Gone Flake ...........

He He Just as this P.I.L.-album that was slammering my head all the time ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 28, 2009 11:19

He He Just as this P.I.L.-album that was slammering my head all the time ...

.... Hey Yeah got one of 'em rollin around Da Bunker somewhere......

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home