Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sucking in the Seventies
Posted by: SixtiesDave ()
Date: February 11, 2005 01:33

Hello, please allow me to introduce myself. I've been an avid, perhaps to avid a reader of the Tell Me forum for sometime and have finally decided to get involved myself. I live in London and have been a Stones fan since the late 80's when at the age of about 15 I started checking out my parents record collection and found dusty old copies of Beggars Banquet, Let Bleed and Stick Fingers amongest others. I've remained a huge fan of 60's music in general and the Stones in particular ever since. It's a relief to know there are many others out there of like mind.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, does anyone know if Sucking in the Seventies was ever released on CD back in the dim and dark 80's?

Re: Sucking in the Seventies
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 11, 2005 01:37

yes, it was. Not easy to find, though

Its being rereleased on CD next month.

Posted by: SixtiesDave ()
Date: February 11, 2005 01:41

Really? That'll be cool! Have you got any more details? Cheers for the info anyway.

Date: February 11, 2005 01:44

March 21 in the UK, March 22 in North America

"Made In The Shade" is also (for some inexplicable reason) being reissued on the same day.

Same track listings as before. The first few thousand are being issued as digipacks.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 11, 2005 01:45

CDCBS 450205 2 (1981)

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 11, 2005 03:23

I'm gonna get those digipacks for sure. It's so expensive being a completeist.

Gazza: You have really given us lots of cool info tonight. I'm wonderin' if you have an idea or just a hunch on when we will see the records from 1971 'till today on remastered like with the ABKCO catalogue. Do you have a clue about this???

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 11, 2005 04:33

I dont think anyone has anything more than a hunch. I'm presuming you mean the SA-CD remasters

I think a lot will depend on what the Stones do after their next album, when their Virgin contract expires.

Maybe Virgin will cash in on the new album and tour hype by issuing them around that time. If theres a commercially sensible time to do it, it would be then. So, knowing Virgin, they wont bother..lol

As a few people have stated within the last few weeks here and on Rocks Off, it seems that SA-CD could well be on the way out, to be superseded by newer and upcoming technologically superior formats, such as Bluelight.

Can't say I'm familiar with all of these, but if theres a market for them, maybe Virgin will use that as an excuse for repackaging these albums in this way instead.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 11, 2005 16:14

virgin has remastered all their stones stuff.. WHAT A GREAT SOUND!
i got exile, black and blue and iorr... i can't get over how much better they sound over my 1986 cd's.. the song luxury, on iorr is longer and ALL the songs sound new and exciting..
if you haven't updated your stones you should... you will love how they sound..

ps. i don't think they have done anything with sucking in the 70's.

Date: February 11, 2005 17:45

Sucking in the 70's would have been released on CD in the mid 80's when the band were on CBS/Sony (although as they didnt sign to Sony until 1983, the vinyl version would have been distributed by Rolling Stones Records through Atlantic (or whoever it was the Stones were with in '81..its hard to keep track!). I dont think it was issued on CD until Sony started distributing their albums, starting with "Dirty Work".

So, the upcoming Virgin reissue would be a remastered version, similar to the other remasters they have issued starting in 1993/94.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-11 17:48 by Gazza.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 11, 2005 19:00

I remember some years ago I had a long trip on my bike (!), and I made a stop at a supermarket outside my town. They had some cd's, and of them was sucking in the seventies! But I didn't have so much money, and I was tired so I had buy water and fruits instead. But i thought I could find that cd somewhere else - well I still don't have it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 11, 2005 20:45

At the risk of sounding like I'm still in the 70's, what is a digipack?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 12, 2005 00:12

cardboard like the recent Abkco remasters. Cant see how they blow blow the 'artwork' on sucking - MITS is another matter - likely change the original type on song titles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2135
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home