Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: stones vs zeppelin
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 7, 2009 03:31

Barn Owl
...no contest!

To this day, the Stones (along with the Fab Four) have remained the most listenable band in the history of music; play them any time of day or night, and never get tired of them.

By contrast, the monolithic, bombastic pomp of Zep's music belongs way back when in a time warp when prog-rockers ruled the earth.

...which is what they really are.

Zep's catalog got almost 7,000 spins on the US radio last week, while the Stones (with about 200 more songs) got 2,200.
Strange isn't it?

Zeppelin seems more listenable for the radio than the Stones.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 7, 2009 05:16

Both bands were fantastic. I think the Stones music stays with me a lot more than Zep's I can only take so much of Plant's voice at once. Never saw them live would have been a treat.

Facts are facts in the 70's Zep was bigger than the Stones but the Stones are musically far more relevant.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 7, 2009 05:58

nanker's phelge
i know the stones hated zep as evidenced by one of anita's interview's
but the reverse is not true
i just read an old[04] interview with pagey and he stated that he really dug the stones take on chicago blues...esp brian's playing
they both loved raw rugged blues
i mean how could keef not like something like "hats off to roy harper" or how many more times?

It's traditional to praise the music that came before yours, and to criticize the music that came along after.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 7, 2009 11:41

Any of you see "How the west was one"? the remastering of those shows is great, you can really hear what a great band they were, the drumming especially is on stun and one guitar no back up band, its impressive.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 7, 2009 11:44

Stones Vs Led Zeppelin ????????

who do the meet in the next round if the win ?

is this comeptition seeded ?

Beach Boys Vs the Byrds has gone to extra time.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 7, 2009 12:24

Tornandfrayed
still ill
squando
and kicked the Stones' butts at the box office from 71 thru to their break up.

Is this true?

Certainly not in 1972.

Interesting that Zep and the Stones were touring the USA at almost the same time in 1972 yet the Zep tour seems to have faded out of memory (is there any live footage at all?) while the Stones tour has become almost legendary. B

oth bands great in their own ways but Zep possibly more of a musicians band who could adapt a broader range of influences into their repetoire. Page gets my respect for not denying the past and assisting with the production of that fantastic DVD a few years back.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 7, 2009 12:31

Zep were knock offs of The Who just like Aerosmith is a knock off of The Stones. BTW, in 1973 Coop out sold all of them on the B$B tour, and Bowie/Ziggy was a Coop knock off.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 7, 2009 12:54

Were those 20 MILLION requests for tix a scam?

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: August 7, 2009 13:30

Posted by: squando ()
Date: August 7, 2009 14:55

"Interesting that Zep and the Stones were touring the USA at almost the same time in 1972 yet the Zep tour seems to have faded out of memory (is there any live footage at all?) while the Stones tour has become almost legendary."

The Stones tour of 72 is legendary to Stones fans only. Just as Zeppelin's would be to their hard core fans. The fact is Zeppelin were selling more tix and being paid far higher than any band in the world by 1972. Grant made the propasal to all venues that 10% of the takings of a Zeppelin show was better than 100% of nothing. He held the winning hand and he knew it as their popularity was absolutely enormous.

I much prefer the Stones but also love Zeppelin, so if I had a bias it would be towards the Stones. But there is no point in denying the truth. And statements like "The Stones are better than Zeppelin - fact" are as pointless as they are meaningless and incorrect given anyone with half a brain would realise that is opinion - not fact.

Zppelin are bigger than the Stones now as they were then. And that is a fact.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: August 7, 2009 18:02

georgelicks
Barn Owl
...no contest!

To this day, the Stones (along with the Fab Four) have remained the most listenable band in the history of music; play them any time of day or night, and never get tired of them.

By contrast, the monolithic, bombastic pomp of Zep's music belongs way back when in a time warp when prog-rockers ruled the earth.

Zep's catalog got almost 7,000 spins on the US radio last week, while the Stones (with about 200 more songs) got 2,200.
Strange isn't it?

Strange indeed, georgelicks!

I mean, with the exception of say, Stairway To Heaven, Dancing Days, Black Dog, Rock n' Roll, Trampled Under Foot and Whole Lotta Love, what else is there that's suitable for your average radio listener?

Or do american radio listeners get off on 32-minute versions of Dazed and Confused?

Radio Nowhere...is there anybody alive out there?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 7, 2009 18:53

Zeppelin is used in a number of Cadillac commercials not too long ago.

I know the Stones have licensed their music as well, but Cadillac?

Not much to say after that.

What do you call it when one fighter knocks himself out?

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: August 7, 2009 20:34

It's all a matter of opinion, and taste. Of a preference more for rock n' roll or rock. Both had elements of each, but I think we all know who was more consistently rock n' roll. One thing I've noticed about Zep live, and I've only heard recordings/video, I was much to young to have ever seen them, is that if Page is off, they sound like shit. If you watch the "DVD", there are several early vids of them playing Dazed and Confused, a fairly complex piece for that time, and if Page wasn't on, they could be embarrassingly off. But when he was on, they sound untouchable. And it seems to vary even from song to song. On one, his playing and tone can be incredible, then the next, just plain bad. I think it may come from them trying to improvise and take things to another level, which they talked of often, and I guess Page wasn't always able to do that consistently. Plus, as the decade wore on, Page was increasingly high as a kite, and he didn't have another guitarist to fall back on. The Stones rock n' roll however, was a bit more consistent in style, usually a bit simpler in structure, and tighter in execution, with less drawn out improvising, especially after Taylor left. They were both great, it just comes down to personal taste.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 7, 2009 20:54

squando

I don't mind how big they were. I only know that Stones are better, sorry.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 7, 2009 21:39

mickscarey
ever see them live? some of their shows were incredibly boring - three of their songs lasted 20 minutes each- all self-indulgence.

No, not boring, they were the most exciting band ever. And I will take those 20 minute indulgences, especially as part of a 3 1/2 hour show.(I have seen them 18 times in the 70's). And yes, I saw the Stones several times in '72 and '75. And if you follow my posts, I am not one that puts the Stones down.

As far as records go, Most Stones records I have to skip around to the 4 or 5 songs I like the best, (there are a few exceptions). Zep albums are much easier (for me) to listen straight thru.

Bottom line, everyone has their OPINION. Comparable numbers might be facts, but feelings of betterness (such a word?) is only opinion. IMHO this is a very unfair topic on a Stones board, just as it would be on a Zeppelin board.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: August 8, 2009 04:12

Zep has a different audience... they are like The Beatles of Hard Rock and Metal... Kids are not and will not listen to the Blues or RnB in school... Acdc has also out sold the Stones in the US as well... is like baby food for the kids, you know?... I love AcDc and Zep and the stones are my favorite band , however you can't compare artists.

But if there is a live band that can entertain and make you rise from the floor from excitement is got to be The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 8, 2009 05:46

Comparisons like these always give me a good laugh. It's just someone's opinion and the last time I checked in most places, everyone has a right to one.

CBII

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 8, 2009 11:32

Wild Slivovitz
squando

I don't mind how big they were. I only know that Stones are better, sorry.

That's another opinion ;-)
One that I second though.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: squando ()
Date: August 8, 2009 11:49

"I don't mind how big they were. I only know that Stones are better, sorry."

No need to apologise tiger. It's your opinion and you've know need to be sorry for it. In fact I completely agree with your statement. Except the 'sorry' part. smiling smiley

"I mean, with the exception of say, Stairway To Heaven, Dancing Days, Black Dog, Rock n' Roll, Trampled Under Foot and Whole Lotta Love, what else is there that's suitable for your average radio listener?"

Over the hills and far away; Immigrant song; Good time bad times; All my love; Kashmir; Hot dog; Communication breakdown; Tangerine; Living loving maid; D'yer maker to name a few more.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: August 8, 2009 12:10

squando

Dude, couldnt be more accurate. Totally agree. I love the Stones way more but the fact remains that Zep always resonates better with more people. They just have a diff mystique about them that keeps on and on. producing more fans all the time. Stones are for a select few nowadays it seems. Zep just constantly attracts new fans for some reason. maybe cuz they had a beginning and end within 12 years or so. just like the beatles. i think the stones even though doing what they love for so long should have stopped long ago. They are like the brett favre of music. dont know when to quit. and yes my fave band ever but shit man, UC was the last really "Stonesy" album anyway. They would be much more loved and appreciated and interesting if they had stopped long time ago. sounds shitty but its true. they would have become instant legends after UC and calling it quits. The world is weird

Date: August 8, 2009 13:08

the stones, zeppelin and elton john were commercially the biggest acts of the 70's but i think pink floyd, YES and david bowie were the most artistic musicians of the 70's

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 8, 2009 15:10

out of my head
squando

Dude, couldnt be more accurate. Totally agree. I love the Stones way more but the fact remains that Zep always resonates better with more people. They just have a diff mystique about them that keeps on and on. producing more fans all the time. Stones are for a select few nowadays it seems. Zep just constantly attracts new fans for some reason. maybe cuz they had a beginning and end within 12 years or so. just like the beatles. i think the stones even though doing what they love for so long should have stopped long ago. They are like the brett favre of music. dont know when to quit. and yes my fave band ever but shit man, UC was the last really "Stonesy" album anyway. They would be much more loved and appreciated and interesting if they had stopped long time ago. sounds shitty but its true. they would have become instant legends after UC and calling it quits. The world is weird

uh maybe not touring in almost 30 years has something to do with that mystique, the stones work very hard and keep entertaining us,very simple why zep wont tour anymore, THEY CANT HANDLE THE ROAD AND THEY KNOW IT, CASE CLOSED

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: August 8, 2009 18:28

melillo
out of my head
squando

uh maybe not touring in almost 30 years has something to do with that mystique, the stones work very hard and keep entertaining us,very simple why zep wont tour anymore, THEY CANT HANDLE THE ROAD AND THEY KNOW IT, CASE CLOSED

Interesting point.

Led Zep have also been VERY careful about what they put out so as to protect and closely guard that mystique.

They moved heaven and earth to get their Live Aid performance removed from the official DVD, whereas the Stones seem happy to release any old dross as long as it earns them an extra buck or two (i.e.Live Licks).

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: August 8, 2009 18:32

melillo
out of my head
squando

WRONG!....they stopped touring and stopped being a band because their drummer died....duh.

They have only played 5 times as Led Zeppelin since July 7, 1980 (date of their final show)....Live Aid, Jason Bonham's Wedding, Atlantic's 40th Anni, Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Induction ceremony & at Ahmet's Concert in 07 at the O2.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 8, 2009 18:40

I only know their hitz & Zep's okay but most people don't even mention them anymore.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 8, 2009 19:06

rattler2004
melillo
out of my head
squando

WRONG!....they stopped touring and stopped being a band because their drummer died....duh.

They have only played 5 times as Led Zeppelin since July 7, 1980 (date of their final show)....Live Aid, Jason Bonham's Wedding, Atlantic's 40th Anni, Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Induction ceremony & at Ahmet's Concert in 07 at the O2.

then why did they try like hell to go on the road a couple of years ago? did they forget about the drummer dying? DUH?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-08 19:14 by melillo.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 8, 2009 21:40

Agreeing or disagreeing on a FACT makes no sense and is irrelevant. (Opinion is something else).

On another point...
Those of us that were around and big Zeppelin fans in the early and mid 70's know that at that time, they were not a "commercial" band. They were one of the few bands (I didn't say only) that regularly had non-single LP tracks played on the radio.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 8, 2009 22:03

georgelicks
Barn Owl
...no contest!

Strange isn't it?

Zeppelin's radio play has increased dramatically in the last few months. I'm not looking at any stats here just going by all the stations I listen to. I think it is some kind of fortieth anniversary thing. Of course they got lots of airplay before that but it seems to have increased recently. From what I hear on the radio The Stones only lag The Beatles, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd as far as radio airplay for classic rock groups.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 8, 2009 22:09

Funny how Zeppelin has sold many more records (at least in the U.S.) but if you were to poll one hundred rock critics maybe five would say Zeppelin was better than The Stones. If The Stones had wanted to play more and bigger venues in the seventees I'm sure they could have done just as well as Zeppelin sales wise. Does anyone doubt they were more legendary at the time?

Posted by: klaudio ()
Date: August 8, 2009 22:13

I don't remember anyone having a bigger "buzz" around them touring
than the Stones. I grew up in the 70's. Sure Zep, and quite a few
other bands were in their heyday. I could name a couple I actually liked more than Zep THEN.

A Stones tour has always been a big deal. Even now I hear people contemplating if they should go see them......because it's the Stones and they wouln't leave
their lazy boys for much.

I love Zeppelin but I think they were done when Bonham died. Really how many
GREAT albums do they have. They lost me after their first three of four.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1245
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home