Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: STU BOOK
Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: June 1, 2022 01:41

Wow!
It seems to be a fantastic and well deserved homage and tribute to our dear Stu!
Congrats willnash!
smileys with beer

Thanks for the link woody!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 1, 2022 09:08

24FPS
Way, way out of my price range. I hope someday to read it somehow. Did Bill participate?

Wow.

As in, holy shit, wow

Just a bit shy of $1000 US! $943.86.

Posted by: willnash ()
Date: June 1, 2022 12:00

GasLightStreet
24FPS
Way, way out of my price range. I hope someday to read it somehow. Did Bill participate?

Wow.

As in, holy shit, wow

I know this comes as a surprise to some and I have tried to address this before but as this is a Stu thread forgive me for doing so again. I conceived the idea of the book and then went out and interviewed and compiled the photographs accordingly as I believed Stu’s story should be told. Being one individual and self-publishing is not cheap and it involved a great deal of building trust and hard-work.

To give an example of costs - given how photography changed over the span of the book, from all black and white in the early days to colour later on, even the quality of the colour film changed during this time. The pure grayscale against the colour looked very thin and cold so I made the decision for the black and white images to be reproduced as tritones made up of black, a deep brown and a very pale yellow. I developed the exact formula to be applied to every black and white image throughout the book with the pre-press BAS, Salisbury, Printers who were to print the book. Then came the paper, bright white wasn’t right as it didn’t let the colours sing and uncoated would not give a good base to keep the images sharp. We in the end opted for a semi-coated 200gsm Hello silk paper a more natural paper colour than bleached white. The silk gave the photos a print-like finish look to both in full colour and tritone photographs. BAS ran a few full wet proofs on the correct paper to ensure the tritone formula and colour worked when on the slightly warm paper. What I was doing was to avoid the then many common practices with regular publishers and the well known limited edition publishers of glossing up prints say by simply spot varnishing the images. That is achieved by just adding a coating when printing. Look at many books in a good light and you can see clearly how often the effects deviate away from the original print.

This of course also pleased the photographers as in most cases they publicly stated their photos had never been so finely reproduced. In short, it was all about quality. What would normally take 2 days on press for most took over a month to get exactly right with each page requiring resetting before signing off.

As a project it probably cost what is considerably more than an average London home but I know I produced a book that everybody involved with Stu from the family outwards was very proud of. It was not intended to be loss-making but it grew and grew as the two years of pre-production took place and so I tried to be realistic with the pricing - for private publishing production values (and of what was expected of me). The assumption from most of the contributors perhaps is that I was a large publishing concern but essentially I had to create that impression and found the corporate entity to be credible to most of those I initially approached. 85% of the finished book was essentially just me, a DAT recorder and plane ticket.

Given the complexity of rights usage/payments and much of the content it never could never make it into a trade book.I can say in all truthfulness that the last thing in my mind was making it an elitist book or depriving “true” Stones fans - it was a labor of love and I put my time and money to making it the best that I could. In consequence over the years (and with remaining copies) I try very hard to provide instalment plans and to keep it affordable (albeit for not all) - given that it is accompanied by a signed & numbered Ronnie Wood print. I couldn’t undersell for example what his 12 working signed screenprints retailed for at the time.

To bind the remaing copies is currently around near to the selling price - and private press books in other spheres often start in the $000’s. I am after all using the very best materials- that is one reason that I was trusted to pull this off.

We try and help purchasers with an instalment plan if required and I am always happy to include an original estate stamped print from the photos Stu took to the IORR community etc.

Thanks again

Re: 'STU' book
Date: June 11, 2022 01:54

As a V few people have asked if they could have copies delivered when in London - we will remove shipping charges for the week between shows so the books can be couriered to hotels….any shipping will be reimbursed etc….hope that helps

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 11, 2022 16:37

GasLightStreet
24FPS

Wow.

As in, holy shit, wow

Actually with the current currency conversion rate and new price, I believe it’s closer to $1500 for one of the remaining copies to be bound……

Date: June 11, 2022 18:03

Thank you VoodooLounge13. You are correct that the binding costs have risen significantly. That said, the current price of the book/print has taken that into account and whilst there is not much profit margin per book (and never has been) it would really need a further significant up-tick in inflationary pressures for me to raise from the current price.

There has been (rather like Vinyl) something of a resurgence in interest from collectors for leather-bound volumes in all genres. Consequently all binderies are working with long waiting lists which is good news for book lovers. There is something of a pull-back away from 'vegan' leather from most houses which has been the recent trend as it does not have the same characteristics, longevity and uniqueness of the traditional skins employed and are therefore less sought after at auction etc.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 12, 2022 06:52

No problem Will! I have this on my radar and am literally saving Pennies trying to get to it. My life has finally taken the turn I’d feared it was going to for some time now, and so I’m in the process of finding a new place to live while saving for a down payment on a house that doesn’t break the bank and allows me to still be able to live somewhat tho I’m a simple guy and don’t require a lot of frills. I’m targeting next year to reach out and ask you for a copy!! Fingers crossed all goes well at work for a big bonus!!!

Life is good!!!!

Date: June 24, 2022 19:33

For anybody who is interested in obtaining a copy of the book and signed RW print given it’s 60 years & the RS are in London this week - if you order Stu on-line for the next 10 days and apply code IORR60 it will give you a 20% discount. I hope that helps and in recognition of all the work that BV puts into maintaining this community if you email me post purchase I will happily send a small edition print direct from the negative of a photo taken by Stu.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: June 24, 2022 20:26

Only known photo of Stu at Brian’s funeral

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-24 20:26 by paulspendel.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: June 25, 2022 17:57

I‘m so glad I ordered a copy of this gem.
Can‘t wait to dive into the pics and stories of better days.

Thanks again to Will for the 20% off offer this week and for the nice contact!
Cheers, Fillmore

Date: June 25, 2022 21:46

Thank you Fillmore for your kind words - I hope you enjoy the book& the RW print. Every copy sold means a great deal to me personally as aside from the time and the treasure expended it was my hope that family, friends and fans would get a kick out of it. KR still refers to it as the “bible” along with the other many compliments it garnered. Books ordered this w/e should arrive on Tuesday.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 26, 2022 02:19

willnash
Every copy sold means a great deal to me personally as aside from the time and the treasure expended it was my hope that family, friends and fans would get a kick out of it. KR still refers to it as the “bible” along with the other many compliments it garnered. Books ordered this w/e should arrive on Tuesday.

I've been late to get a copy of your book but some years ago I succeed.
Hard to tell with the Stones which book is a must-have, but this one along with Exile belongs to the list.The stories and pictures are priceless.thumbs up

HMN

Date: June 26, 2022 12:09

[i
[/i]Honestman]

Hard to tell with the Stones which book is a must-have, but this one along with Exile belongs to the list.The stories and pictures are priceless.thumbs up

Thank you Honestman.

Having compiled and edited Exile as well as doing the same plus publishing Stu I appreciate the compliment. To very different books - it was difficult to get people to talk and I left the project as I was unhappy with the direction it took - that said it sold very well. Stu was the opposite where everybody wanted to be involved and I have hours of interviews and so many photos we couldn’t fit in. It has been a slow burn in terms of sales. As it is it has 4x the text and 300% more photos than Exile. Not much was left out of Exile - the odd photo where a gun was around but otherwise much as Tarle bought to us.

I can’t say making Exile was a joy and it could have been in my opinion an even stronger book - for example originally there was to be no text and it was far from comprehensive by the time I resigned shortly before publication. Stu I look at once a year maybe and think of how many things could have been better or who was unable to contribute - however it was a joy to put together from start to finish.

Again, thank you for your words.

www.out-take.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-26 12:23 by willnash.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 26, 2022 12:41

Thanks for the above info Will .... interesting to know

Stay Safe...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 26, 2022 12:42

paulspendel

This photo has meaning in the history of The Rolling Stones!
With Mick and Keith absent at Brian's funeral, Ian, who was the first to respond on Brian's add for forming a band, shows that there is much more than hidden dislike. He was often not happy with Brian's attitude, he didn't like the name "the Rollin' Stones", but at the same time he respected Brian's musical craftmanship and devotion to his goal. His presence says a lot.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: June 26, 2022 12:50

georgie48

This photo has meaning in the history of The Rolling Stones!
With Mick and Keith absent at Brian's funeral, Ian, who was the first to respond on Brian's add for forming a band, shows that there is much more than hidden dislike. He was often not happy with Brian's attitude, he didn't like the name "the Rollin' Stones", but at the same time he respected Brian's musical craftmanship and devotion to his goal. His presence says a lot.

I do have a set of images from Brian's funeral which were never published. georgie48 you are I think correct - Stu could have been there as a defacto bodyguard but the presence of his then wife Cynthia suggests indeed he attended as a mark of respect regardless of his own personal frustrations with Brian.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 26, 2022 12:52

georgie48
paulspendel

This photo has meaning in the history
Maybe he didn’t like Brian because he was removed from the band when Brian was still it’s leader, so he mostly blamed him.Personally, I don’t think his musical contributions added too much to the band, but that is mainly because he was forced out I guess and theStones used mostly outside keyboard players like Hopkins.And if Stew were around today I wonder if he’d be happy with Keith’s comments that “ it was Stu’s band”.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 26, 2022 14:02

Taylor1
georgie48
paulspendel

This photo has meaning in the history
Maybe he didn’t like Brian because he was removed from the band when Brian was still it’s leader, so he mostly blamed him.Personally, I don’t think his musical contributions added too much to the band, but that is mainly because he was forced out I guess and theStones used mostly outside keyboard players like Hopkins.And if Stew were around today I wonder if he’d be happy with Keith’s comments that “ it was Stu’s band”.

I'm pretty sure that Ian, in the years following, grew aware that Andrew Oldham was to blame, if you want to blame someone. Off course, Brian showed poor leadership by allowing Ian to be fired as well as showing he didn't really know the emotion of "team spirit" by rewarding himself more than the other members of the band. His (hidden) desire for fame didn't bring him much good in the end. I think I remember however, reading willnash' "Stu" many years ago, that Stu also had a lot of good things to say about Brian. So obviously he must have been sad about Brian's sudden passing.
Off course the Stones were not Ian's band, but also here, Keith's personal emotions on that subject are very human winking smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 26, 2022 23:37

willnash
Honestman

Thank you Honestman.

Having compiled and edited Exile as well as doing the same plus publishing Stu I appreciate the compliment. To very different books - it was difficult to get people to talk and I left the project as I was unhappy with the direction it took - that said it sold very well. Stu was the opposite where everybody wanted to be involved and I have hours of interviews and so many photos we couldn’t fit in. It has been a slow burn in terms of sales. As it is it has 4x the text and 300% more photos than Exile. Not much was left out of Exile - the odd photo where a gun was around but otherwise much as Tarle bought to us.

I can’t say making Exile was a joy and it could have been in my opinion an even stronger book - for example originally there was to be no text and it was far from comprehensive by the time I resigned shortly before publication. Stu I look at once a year maybe and think of how many things could have been better or who was unable to contribute - however it was a joy to put together from start to finish.

Again, thank you for your words.

www.out-take.com

Very interesting informations thanks. There's also one thing I forgot to mention, Stu is outstanding quality wise, far better that some other deluxe books.
The leather bound is a great idea.

HMN

STU book
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 23, 2008 21:57

Did this ever become available at a reasonable everyday price, I remember it was very expensive.
I can't find an older thread of it but I know it was discussed on here in the past

Re: STU book
Date: November 23, 2008 22:15

Don't think it's ever changed from 950 copies for sale
to the public and they were only available from ...[www.out-take.co.uk]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 23, 2008 22:45

Shame,I'm sure lots of ordinary fans would love to have access it it

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 23, 2008 22:54

adotulipson
Shame,I'm sure lots of ordinary fans would love to have access it it

quite agree - the majority are priced out.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 24, 2008 01:14

A truly beautiful book and given it comes with a signed Ronnie print and is genuinely rare with just 950 copies it is good value vs. the other high end book being discussed at the moment! A fitting tribute to Stu.

I know there is much debate here about this kind of project and I have said it before but there just isn't the market for a mass production book on a niche topic. You wouldn't even cover basic design and print costs let alone distribution etc... Most mass production books end up at $5 in months and unfortunately this is especially niche. Ask Marilou about publishing economics. Her "Love You Live" title is a really interesting viewpoint and has mainstream appeal but you can't survive from a few internet fans buying it.

It is indeed a real shame that work like this can't be share more widely but it is work and the publishers have to eat like you and me. Waiters don't wait for free, taxi drivers don't drive for free etc... At least with a private project like this the most money possible went into the production of the book and not retailers margin.

Date: November 24, 2008 02:37

Matt, there is most definatly a grey area here. It does not have to go from $50 straight to $1000. A book on Stu more than anyone is the kind that should be available for us lo-rent spuds. I can't reconcile Stu, his image and life with a superglossy thousand dollar coffeebook, that no one is ever going to open.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 24, 2008 02:49

I am not sure where the middle ground is. There is such high fixed costs in a book production and distribution. If they were $100 people would still say it was too expensive and not buy it as a subject matter like this is niche. Books like "postcards from the boys" (cards sent by the Beatles to Ringo) first came out as a limited edition and then made it to mass publication because it was so popular. I think Exile could do the same but definately not Stu, as much as I wish it could.

N.B. I wouldn't recommend drinking coffee while you browsed a book like Stu. Fortunately I have a proof copy in a "normal" binding which I use to read although it is arguably more valuable as there were less than a handful made.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 24, 2008 03:18

I'm sure a canny fellow Scot like Stu would have baulked at the very idea of being the subject of a coffee table book but even more so at those kind of prices.

Listening to Ian's playing is all you really need...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 24, 2008 04:13

This book, essentially, was meant for Stu's family, close friends, work colleagues etc.

Date: November 24, 2008 04:26

This book, essentially, was meant for Stu's family, close friends, work colleagues and Horse Thieves

ROCKMAN

Ian Stewart 2003 bio "Stu" by Will Nash
Posted by: rollman ()
Date: September 18, 2021 04:11

Hi everyone.
Anyone know the title of the Ian Stewart book from the '80's?

I'm sure there is a bio written about Ian Stewart that I heard of
20, 30 yrs. ago but have never been able to find it and NOW I can't
remember the title or even find any reference to it.

Anyone know the title, author, release date or any other information?

Greatly appreciate ANY help here. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-25 14:41 by bv.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home