Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

gram parsons
Posted by: forligan ()
Date: August 4, 2009 05:05

Being a big Keith Richards fan I was always aware that he spent time with Gram Parsons and I kind of thought, oh well, whatever. This year I started downloading music by Gram Parsons and it is so good. Why is he all but forgotten, his dead flowers is incredible and hour of darkness, brings tears to my eyes..........Keith, you should have acknowledged him a little more over the years,,,,,,,,try it, you'll like it..........

Re: gram parsons
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 4, 2009 06:25

Forgotten? Not in certain circles. I know some people who think he put the moon, stars, and sun in the sky. I'm a big fan of Parsons' music, but he gets WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT for the country-rock thing. Here's an example: A good friend of mine
talked to Chris Hillman once about Parsons. Hillman said, "Gram wrote about six or seven good songs...but Gene Clark wrote dozens and dozens of great songs."

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 4, 2009 06:34

Thanks Tomk

As someone who remembers Gram in the same room a little bit of him went a long way. A few good songs and a talent he abused to death.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 4, 2009 06:44

Beautiful Cat - Gram Parsons... with Flying Burritos' Altamont - Robert Altman

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: August 4, 2009 07:12

Joshua Tree made Gram a legend, but it's his voice I listen to. Could be I wouldn't if it weren't for the myth and Keith-connection, but hey, that's just music business for you: it's mostly happy (or tragic) coincidents that determine who gets noticed.
Sure he didn't invent country rock or manage to realise his vision of Cosmic American Music but he's not the only over-hyped artist there is.

Date: August 4, 2009 10:02

<A good friend of mine
talked to Chris Hillman once about Parsons. Hillman said, "Gram wrote about six or seven good songs...but Gene Clark wrote dozens and dozens of great songs.">

Good point. But sometimes the great songs are not enough. Gram had that aura, the x-factor, the star quality that made him a legend, imo.

But as a Gram-fan, I do not agree with Hillman. Gram wrote far more than 6 or 7 good songs...

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: August 4, 2009 13:19

$1000 Wedding = sublime

Date: August 4, 2009 13:42

Brass Buttons

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: August 4, 2009 14:31

Return of the Grievous Angel - also from the a-side of Grievous Angel!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-04 14:45 by Child Of Clay.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 4, 2009 14:37

Gram co wrote a lot of the songs he's known for. Chris Hillman and Chris Ethridge collaborated with him on many songs. One of his best known songs, 'Hickory Wind', was co written with Bob Buchanan.

check out "Commemorativo" A Tribute to Gram Parsons (on Rhino Records, 1993)

great compilation of interpretations of GP songs, with good bio information.

Date: August 4, 2009 14:37

"She" is not too bad either...

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: August 4, 2009 21:01

tomk
Forgotten? Not in certain circles. I know some people who think he put the moon, stars, and sun in the sky. I'm a big fan of Parsons' music, but he gets WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT for the country-rock thing. Here's an example: A good friend of mine
talked to Chris Hillman once about Parsons. Hillman said, "Gram wrote about six or seven good songs...but Gene Clark wrote dozens and dozens of great songs."

Dead on. As much as I love Gram's work, Hillman's (overly) dismissive view is a worthwhile corrective on the latter-day deification of Parsons.

Meanwhile, Gene Clark's role in the development of LA folk, county and pop musics is criminally underrated. The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark and Through The Morning, Through The Night are two of the best Americana albums ever. Just ask Robert Plant, Allison Krauss and T-Bone Burnett...

Posted by: Martijnstone ()
Date: August 4, 2009 23:22

I'm a big fan from GP!

Last week I have ordered the 3CD-box from Rhino.

Do you think there is more.............?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 5, 2009 00:43

forligan
Being a big Keith Richards fan I was always aware that he spent time with Gram Parsons and I kind of thought, oh well, whatever. This year I started downloading music by Gram Parsons and it is so good. Why is he all but forgotten, his dead flowers is incredible and hour of darkness, brings tears to my eyes..........Keith, you should have acknowledged him a little more over the years,,,,,,,,try it, you'll like it..........

All but forgotten? First I've heard of it. Considering he wasnt THAT commercially successful in his lifetime, when any artist is still getting lots of magazine space, having a tribute concert turned into a DVD, having an acclaimed and much repeated BBC documentary made about them and being the subject of Hollywood movies some 35-40 years later then they're doing pretty well.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: August 5, 2009 00:47

The proble with Hillman is that his take on Parsons is tainted by his own bitterness about being forgotten in the Burrito's story. Having read the recent book about the Burritos that he participated in, his slant is so overwhelming that you can't take his opinions seriously. I mean, for him to say that Gram didn't write or sing anything worthwhile after Gilded Palace of Sin is silly and pretty petty.

I think the true story of Parsons fits nicely between the sainted myth and Hillman's opinion.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 5, 2009 00:57

thought Stanley Booth had plans for a GP bio..?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 5, 2009 01:04

That first Chris Hillman - Desert Rose Band album was a classic ....
Spent many a day livin' with that one .......He's Back & I'm Blue slays...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 5, 2009 10:49

good call Rockman - that's a fantastic album

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 5, 2009 12:25

" forgotten " !!! if it wasnt for the fact that he was so damn good, there would be a case for him being overrated. Chris Hillman makes a very good point about Gene Clark, theres a guy with a larger back catalogue than Gram, and probably wrote more great songs, but he didnt die the romantic death in the desert.
I love both of them, its allowed you know. just like you can love the beatles and teh stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1204
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home