Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ian Stewart memorial gig
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 4, 2009 15:52

If sources are exposed do ya think we'll EVER even have a hope of hearing it??

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 4, 2009 15:59

WOW! MY GOODNESS That is incredible. Where in the world did you dig that up!!!???

Posted by: flight505rox ()
Date: August 4, 2009 16:54

Somewhere I heard that of all people, Paul McCartney taped the show (don't know if he video taped or just plugged in to the soundboard)...

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: August 4, 2009 17:02

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Mick and Keith, who were pretty well into their 80's feud at that time, left this performance drunk and arm in arm. They were so overcome by it, and loved Stu so much, they were able to put aside everything between themselves for a few hours.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 4, 2009 17:02

a crew member told me years ago that they tape every show, but that there were specific instructions that this show was NOT to be recorded, so if it exists thats news to me.

As for it being filmed. Having been in that club and seen how it's laid out and how low the stage is, I would be amazed had it been possible for anyone to get a decent quality video recorded, let alone have it done professionally.

as for McCartney, I dont even think he was there.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 4, 2009 17:08

whitem8
WOW! MY GOODNESS That is incredible. Where in the world did you dig that up!!!???

I'm assuming you mean the picture of the ticket in which case I nicked it from James Karnbach and Carol Bernson's "The Complete Recording Guide" hence the inclusion of the credit.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: August 4, 2009 17:56

I hadn't heard of that book before, quite cool! Thanks for posting that.

Date: August 4, 2009 18:18

whitem8
I hadn't heard of that book before, quite cool! Thanks for posting that.

This is a slightly different edition to the one I have:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 5, 2009 02:49

Adrian-L
Edith Grove
Any pics exist ?

Yes- on the walls at the 100 Club

Would you believe I've been there twice and never bothered to look?

Shame on me. sad smiley

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 5, 2009 12:58

As I've said before, my cousin Ron Kavana was there. The support band were Diz and The Doormen, Diz played piano in Charlies side project at the time and also in my cousin band "juice on the loose" Ron got in as a roadie for the doormen.
i was on the list to be a fellow roadie but never got the call, i found oy after that the waiting list for roadies would have probably filled wembley never mind the 100 club.
Ron told me later that they got charged for the bottle of JD the nicked from the dressing room.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 5, 2009 18:02

At the Charlie gig in June I remember thinking how incredable AND HOT it must have been to be at either of the Stones' shows there.

scuk

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 5, 2009 21:50

On the setlist, you can see Jeff started playing the opening to Just Another Night. Bill German, in his Beggars Banquet newsletters, said Keith gave him a dirty look so Jeff immediately stopped playing it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 5, 2009 23:42

Gazza
No one here went to that show because it was a private show, not open to the public.

Probably about 300 friends and relatives at it. The set was all covers, songs Stu would have liked.

Setlist & personnel notes here - [rocksoff.org]

Not many minor chords played that night...

- Doxa

Posted by: django ()
Date: August 5, 2009 23:46

This is from Bill German's excellent book. There were some more pics in Beggars Banquet in 1986 but I cannot find my copy at the moment.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 6, 2009 00:13

Gazza
a crew member told me years ago that they tape every show, but that there were specific instructions that this show was NOT to be recorded, so if it exists thats news to me.

As for it being filmed. Having been in that club and seen how it's laid out and how low the stage is, I would be amazed had it been possible for anyone to get a decent quality video recorded, let alone have it done professionally.

as for McCartney, I dont even think he was there.

This is exactly what I have understood from various sources -about all shows since '69 are recorded, but there were specific instructions at the 100 that no film or sound recording was to be made.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 6, 2009 00:16

Deltics

Video James should have paid more attention....

Mathijs

Posted by: NightWish ()
Date: May 31, 2010 06:31

Does anyone have recording of this show?

Date: May 31, 2010 06:50

Macca was there and taped it.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: May 31, 2010 10:17

scottkeef
Cant tell ya HOW I know but the gig was videotaped. And there was no Stones compositions performed. It was all stuff Stu loved- old tunes (Chuck Berry and blues.) I believe theres a set list posted somewhere.

I'm sick of these kinds of statements. Why? Why can't he tell? How is what he supposedly knows such valued information that he can't figure out some way to explain it, so that we know he's not full of shit. What would happen if he actually said? Is he or someone he knows actually that important? If so, why is he wasting his time on here?

I don't doubt it was taped, it's been rumored for years, but I doubt this guy knows dick-all about it.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: May 31, 2010 11:03

Why should a recording of this stay private? I mean what's the big state secret and why should the Stones give a toss?

They played to 300 000 plus at Brian's wake and released it worldwide on dvd. Wtf should this be a big, 'private' event? I mean what are we gonna do? Storm the 100 Club expectng Dr Who to rock up and transport us 24 years and a bit back in time a catch the gig without invitations? This isn't the formula to Coca Cola we're asking for.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 31, 2010 13:50

With all of those guests, and unrehearsed, I suspect it was a mess. But, then again, those are the kinds of songs that most of the people there could play in their sleep, so who knows . . . .

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 31, 2010 14:31

(from Bill German's Beggars Baquet)

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 31, 2010 18:10

squando
Why should a recording of this stay private? I mean what's the big state secret and why should the Stones give a toss?

They played to 300 000 plus at Brian's wake and released it worldwide on dvd. Wtf should this be a big, 'private' event? I mean what are we gonna do? Storm the 100 Club expectng Dr Who to rock up and transport us 24 years and a bit back in time a catch the gig without invitations? This isn't the formula to Coca Cola we're asking for.

Hyde Park was always going to be filmed for TV. It just happened that Brian died two days before. It wasnt organised as a tribute gig (although they ended up agreeing to dedicate it as such).

Unlike the 100 club show.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 1, 2010 00:00

Elmore James covered and made famous dust my broom. From what I can tell Robert Johnson wrote it and was the first to
record it. Dust my broom blues, I believe is the full title.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: June 1, 2010 23:38

..photos by Eva Harvey ...mother of P.J harvey.. I believe.....her parents were greats friends of Ian Stewart and followed the Stones since the first days...

Date: June 2, 2010 00:02

jp.M
..photos by Eva Harvey ...mother of P.J harvey.. I believe.....her parents were greats friends of Ian Stewart and followed the Stones since the first days...
Apparently Stu was Polly Jean's Godfather.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 2, 2010 00:25

Yep that's correct Deltics ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 2, 2010 00:35

Deltics
jp.M

I never knew that.

SCUK

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 2, 2010 00:40

ROLLINGSTONE
Much as a boot/official copy would be great I think it's something that should remain private.

I say release it, and have all funds go to Stu's favourite charity

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 6, 2012 17:27

ROLLINGSTONE
Much as a boot/official copy would be great I think it's something that should remain private.

If it was a good concert it would have made a great charity record, with the proceeds going to heart diseases research.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home