Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Bridges To Babylon tour stage : the most brilliant ever.
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 31, 2009 23:54

Gazza
It was only on the ABB tour when it became an excuse to prolong the warhorses segment.

the "warhorses segment"...AKA The Concert

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 1, 2009 00:02

HelterSkelter
The group played BEST in 1969 - all the big stages and shit from 1981 (Still Life) on are just circus distractions...... THE MUSIC was king in 1969....

Really all those ballons and cherry picker from 78 and 81 weren't? It's something my kids would of had at their bithday party. Those stages were nothing but a joke.

Date: August 1, 2009 00:10

glencar
Mick sings better today.
IMO anything but. He might have been trained to control his breathing, since he runs around so much. But there is no conviction or dedication in many of the words. That is another reason he should sing new songs. Jagger standing at the mike doing "Love in Vain" in 72, singing "Satisfaction" in 69. Does not get any better.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 1, 2009 05:25

By FAR, their best tour post 1981-82.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 1, 2009 07:14

tomk
Gazza
yep..best Stones stage concept ever.

No, sorry. You really had to see the unfolding lotus stage from 1975.
Sorry if some of you were too young or it never came to your town,
but you had to see it to believe it. It was just incredible theater.
THe photos and video from LA don't do it justice.

Completely agree, tomk. I've seen every tour since the early 70's...the Lotus stage from the TOTA 1975 is the greatest stage I have ever seen in ANY rock and roll show in my life. Utter perfection and breathtaking spectacle.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 1, 2009 07:21

Gazza
You're actually sort of emphasising the point I was making, Kent. When the Stones are playing ten feet in front of them, an audience should be able to get excited even if they were playing "Ba Ba Black Sheep" on accordions with Charlie riding around the stage on a unicycle.

best. post. ever.

OLDKR

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 1, 2009 09:33

Turd On The Run
tomk
Gazza

Completely agree, tomk. I've seen every tour since the early 70's...the Lotus stage from the TOTA 1975 is the greatest stage I have ever seen in ANY rock and roll show in my life. Utter perfection and breathtaking spectacle.

I remember when I entered in the Forum, you could see various parts of the stage
in its upright position through those enter/exits/colonnade sections as you walked in; just brief glimpses of it. Then when I got my Coke and popcorn (I was 12 at the time. A big thanks to my folks for letting me go) and got my seat
and observed the stage, well, Lord,have mercy. What was this about?
It was breathtaking just looking at it. It was kind sci-fi at first.
Plus there were blinking lights, a purple shroud, Chinese ornaments hanging from the ceiling, Chinese dragons running through the audience...
And remember, most, if not all, of the audience didn't know Fanfare For The Common Man. What is this? Then the stage unfolds, there they are, and Keith hits those chords. And after Sympathy, the stage folds upwards...and classical music plays.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: August 1, 2009 10:52

tomk

For Sure !! 1975 was great !! Saw the first and last show at the Forum (Last Forum show WAS suppose to be "the Live album" for the 75 tour at one time, instead we got LOVE YOU LIVE much later on). Jagger was so loose, confident, yet still a clown (in a good way) on that tour. What a set list we had in 75 !!! SO balanced, so fresh... Jagger swingin' out over the audience on the rope during Billy Preston...a bit circus-y but what a stunt, that one was major effing impressive....

The big stages (1989 on) with all the smoke and fireworks are to try to make you forget you're in a 200,000 seat shit stadium, they don't make me forget.... NO SECURITY 1999 was great - back to arenas, back to the music....MOONLIGHT MILE, SOME GIRLS, ROUTE 66, YOU GOT THE SILVER, NO MISS YOU.... WONDERFUL !!!!

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: August 1, 2009 11:35

I saw them 1998 in Düsseldorf/Germany.

That was a HELL of a concert. Saw them six times since 1990, this was the best. Great performance, highest energy level. SOM got a huge crowd reaction. Best stage ever.

Best modern era tor!

Priest

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 1, 2009 13:13

interesting. it's the stage a like the least. this stage design symbolizes the vegas-period for me. it's just "too much"...

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 1, 2009 14:21

BtB was one of their best tours ever. Even if Ronnie was not in good shape Keith was impressive. After 1999 they never became that good again.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 1, 2009 14:52

I agree with Tomk on the 75 lotus stage my first show ever great.

I also agree with JJflash 73 I loved the 81 indoor stage.

But my all time favorite was only used once, the Superbowl stage I wish they would do an arena tour only, using that stage.

Date: August 1, 2009 15:13

HelterSkelter
tomk

For Sure !! 1975 was great !! Saw the first and last show at the Forum (Last Forum show WAS suppose to be "the Live album" for the 75 tour at one time, instead we got LOVE YOU LIVE much later on). Jagger was so loose, confident, yet still a clown (in a good way) on that tour. What a set list we had in 75 !!! SO balanced, so fresh... Jagger swingin' out over the audience on the rope during Billy Preston...a bit circus-y but what a stunt, that one was major effing impressive....

The big stages (1989 on) with all the smoke and fireworks are to try to make you forget you're in a 200,000 seat shit stadium, they don't make me forget.... NO SECURITY 1999 was great - back to arenas, back to the music....MOONLIGHT MILE, SOME GIRLS, ROUTE 66, YOU GOT THE SILVER, NO MISS YOU.... WONDERFUL !!!!

I love reading posts like this; from folks who were there at these great pictures we look at in the books. And hear that it was even better.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: August 1, 2009 17:44

me and my son were pressed to the iron bar in front of the B stage at wembley 1999 the second night. 2 meters from keith ! smiling smiley
that was some experience for us, eskimos from iceland!

I wonder, does anyone have pictures from that ?

best regards 6853

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 1, 2009 22:11

6853:

Son of 6853:

Or was it vice versa?

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: August 1, 2009 22:29

great stage, last great tour!

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 1, 2009 22:53

me and my son were pressed to the iron bar in front of the B stage at wembley 1999 the second night. 2 meters from keith ! smiling smiley
that was some experience for us, eskimos from iceland!

I wonder, does anyone have pictures from that ?

best regards 6853
You were right next to me, I guess! That show was a bit of a letdown because the 1st Wembley show was so great.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 1, 2009 23:34

oldkr
Gazza
You're actually sort of emphasising the point I was making, Kent. When the Stones are playing ten feet in front of them, an audience should be able to get excited even if they were playing "Ba Ba Black Sheep" on accordions with Charlie riding around the stage on a unicycle.

best. post. ever.

OLDKR

smileys with beer

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: August 2, 2009 03:26

...personally, I didn't like the curtains.

Steel Wheels was the tops!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 2, 2009 03:51

From 1989 till today The Stones went from The greatest Rock and Roll band in the world to The greatest rock and roll band from the beginng to the end of time. The Stones can do no wrong in my book. Well except for 78 and 81 stages.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: August 2, 2009 05:39

tomk
Gazza

amen

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 2, 2009 06:38

Gazza
camper88
Gazza,

I think this has less to do with the use of the b stage, per se, and more to do with when in the concert they use the b stage and where they're at in the playlist. What I mean to say is that the b stage gets used just as the band is about to take a run down war horse alley--the home stretch of the setlist.

These two things happen to coincide, but it's not so much a b stage thing as it's related to when the b stage is used in the show. I've heard Starf**ker, Lil Red Rooster, Respectable, Rough Justice and Mannish Boy from the b stage, as well as an assortment of war horses and war ponies (eg. 19th Nervous Breakdown, Like a Rolling Stone). I think you have an argument about the tendency to rely on war horses, particularly in the last third of a show but I don't see it as a b-stage issue, exactly.

It was actually used earlier in the show on the last tour than it was on the Licks tour, when it really was very close to the end of the show (especially on the arena shows if I remember right). Yet they still managed to play some real gems on it. Similarly, on the BTB tour it was used in the middle of the show.

It was only on the ABB tour when it became an excuse to prolong the warhorses segment.

Yeah,it used to be the point were they would do a few rarities,around the middle of the show. Then go back to the main stage for the final strechrun of warhorses. But on ABB it was all warhorses,all the time.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 06:50 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: August 2, 2009 15:14

Thommie
6853:

Son of 6853:

Or was it vice versa?

that is not eskimos Tommie, thats monkies smiling smiley

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 2, 2009 17:36

Gazza

It was actually used earlier in the show on the last tour than it was on the Licks tour, when it really was very close to the end of the show (especially on the arena shows if I remember right). Yet they still managed to play some real gems on it. Similarly, on the BTB tour it was used in the middle of the show.

Both of our memories may be off but my memory is that the structure/ timing of a Stones concert has been pretty much consistent since Steel Wheels (theatres and clubs, excepted).

Generally, its

1. The opener (SMU/ JJF) to get you off your feet
2. two songs that set the mood (LSTNT, IYCRM, etc)
3. 3-4 songs that are not warhorses, often where you'll hear new material
4. 1 cover (this may come earlier)
5. 1-2 warhorses to close out the first half
6. 2 from Keith
7. opener to the 2nd half
8. 3-4 songs as a mini set on b stage (around song 11 or 12)
9. 4-5 songs in War horse alley
10 1 Finale a/k/a another warhorse

My numbers may not be exactly right, but the setlists vary from (about) 22 to 19 songs depending on where they are in the tour. And of course I'm generalizing a bit, but there's great consistency with this kind of pattern to the shows.

My point is that the b-stage is both just around half way through the show and the beginning of the end of the show--typically it can run right into war horse country, especially since or with ABB.

The biggest shift (with ABcool smiley was that HTW became a standard war horse closer for the b stage, instead of keeping its traditional spot in war horse alley. I understand the logic, although I don't agree with it: like Miss You, it's a crowd pleasing sing-along that works well as in its when it's extended to take the boys back to the main stage while they're moving.

So insofar as HTW has taken it's place as a closer to the b stage section, you're right, and insofar as Miss You was used to open the b stage section, you're right again. However, it's not like they weren't going to use either of these songs, MY is very often the second half "opener" and HTW has got to be in the top five of songs performed live.

Anyway, I think my point has been lost in all of this, so allow me to try and summarize by saying that I think the benefits of the b stage outweigh its drawbacks, and that the ABB stage was the most successful form of it because it didn't stop the show (the music part of the show) and it allowed more folks to see the Stones up close when they're playing than any other version of a Stones stage to-date. Finally, while they're may be more war horses on the b stage than either of us would like to see (or hear), I'd have to say that's probably true for the entire structure of the show, and I don't think that the b stage is the source of the problem or that it net-net, adds any more warhorses that we would otherwise hear.

Cheer,

Camper

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 2, 2009 17:37

More Hot Rocks
From 1989 till today The Stones went from The greatest Rock and Roll band in the world to The greatest rock and roll band from the beginng to the end of time. The Stones can do no wrong in my book. Well except for 78 and 81 stages.
I don't recall the 1978 stage but the 1981 stage curtains were cool for that time. I snuck in my 110 camera & still have those photos from opening day in Philly, my 1st show.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 2, 2009 17:51

camper88
Gazza

Both of our memories may be off but my memory is that the structure/ timing of a Stones concert has been pretty much consistent since Steel Wheels (theatres and clubs, excepted).

Generally, its

1. The opener (SMU/ JJF) to get you off your feet
2. two songs that set the mood (LSTNT, IYCRM, etc)
3. 3-4 songs that are not warhorses, often where you'll hear new material
4. 1 cover (this may come earlier)
5. 1-2 warhorses to close out the first half
6. 2 from Keith
7. opener to the 2nd half
8. 3-4 songs as a mini set on b stage (around song 11 or 12)
9. 4-5 songs in War horse alley
10 1 Finale a/k/a another warhorse

My numbers may not be exactly right, but the setlists vary from (about) 22 to 19 songs depending on where they are in the tour. And of course I'm generalizing a bit, but there's great consistency with this kind of pattern to the shows.

My point is that the b-stage is both just around half way through the show and the beginning of the end of the show--typically it can run right into war horse country, especially since or with ABB.

The biggest shift (with ABcool smiley was that HTW became a standard war horse closer for the b stage, instead of keeping its traditional spot in war horse alley. I understand the logic, although I don't agree with it: like Miss You, it's a crowd pleasing sing-along that works well as in its when it's extended to take the boys back to the main stage while they're moving.

So insofar as HTW has taken it's place as a closer to the b stage section, you're right, and insofar as Miss You was used to open the b stage section, you're right again. However, it's not like they weren't going to use either of these songs, MY is very often the second half "opener" and HTW has got to be in the top five of songs performed live.

Anyway, I think my point has been lost in all of this, so allow me to try and summarize by saying that I think the benefits of the b stage outweigh its drawbacks, and that the ABB stage was the most successful form of it because it didn't stop the show (the music part of the show) and it allowed more folks to see the Stones up close when they're playing than any other version of a Stones stage to-date. Finally, while they're may be more war horses on the b stage than either of us would like to see (or hear), I'd have to say that's probably true for the entire structure of the show, and I don't think that the b stage is the source of the problem or that it net-net, adds any more warhorses that we would otherwise hear.

Cheer,

Camper

Cheers. What I was getting at though was the content of the b-stage segment being used as an excuse to extend the warhorses bit - even if the timing of that part of the show was in the same place - ie, they tended to use the b-stage for 'non warhorses' prior to 2005.

Your breakdown of the show is pretty accurate, although on the Licks tour the arena shows would usually have 1 or sometimes 2 non warhorses on the b-stage, with the final song on it being a warhorse and ending the main set before the encore. It would often open with a blues song (eg Mannish Boy), a style of music which they barely played on their most recent tour.

You're right about the way it was worked last time being better (didnt stop the flow of the show, and the band playing their way OUT to the b-stage made for an exciting moment). After three tours now, though, I just find it a bit 'predictable' I guess. Plus the sound is still bloody awful during it. When you're paying that amount of money for a ticket, having 3 songs in a 18-19 song set when you can barely see OR hear the band is a bit of a pisser.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 18:43 by Gazza.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 2, 2009 17:58

tomk
Gazza

Yeah, I would have loved to see that Lotus stage!

I've been to all those (European) 70's tours but unfortunately they didn't bring the Lotus to Europe in 76.
This because the European halls beeing too small in those days (apart from the huge London place)!
And in 75 you didn't fly to the USA to see a rock concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 18:00 by CousinC.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 2, 2009 19:23

Thommie
6853:

Son of 6853:

Or was it vice versa?

that is not eskimos Tommie, thats monkies smiling smiley

Babboon Bro winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: MICK_JAGGER ()
Date: August 3, 2009 03:07

i love the Bigger Bang stage, to me it was beautiful, technically and style wise, and artistically, adding screens for designs, the balcony, moving b-stage, the ramp up top,perfect, bridges and voodoo and steel wheels had a little to much everywhere...too many statues and distractions, ABB was crisp, simple, hard, pure rock n roll!

but i love all stages (post 81) except forty licks stadium..didnt like it..too bland

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: August 3, 2009 05:20

skipstone
... Although I still love the idea of them playing on a tongue stage like they did for the Supe. That was GENIUS. Hell, if anything, they could make a giant tongue and lips and have the stage be the tongue...just play IN the mouth of the logo for the stage, the teeth and gleams could be lights, etc.... Perhaps a giant giant giant inflatable or however it could be built but that is the way to go if they are to tour one more (last?) time.

they did this for the Super Bowl and at Knebworth in '76 and at the very least in Cleveland in '78...tounge stage...although the Superbowl one was the best "logo tounge" stage of them all.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home