Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Anthology To Be Released By Universal
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 29, 2009 20:30

Gazza
The songs on 40 Licks were mostly mediocre, obviously thrown together in a hurry and didnt bode well for the future, but in fairness ABB was a pleasant surprise for the most part.

I guess you have to ask yourself is it worth their while (from their perspective) to record a NEW album if they're quite obviously not going to perform the songs in concert.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 29, 2009 20:50

mickijaggeroo
Gazza
Live!
December 2009 Universal Music will release a multi-CD anthology box set (1971-2009). Includes rare and unreleased live & studio recordings. Confirmed by semi-inner circle source. Universal Music will announce this forthcomming release in September. More news later.

A guarded welcome, if true.

I sincerely hope we can replace the word "Includes" in your second sentence with "Consists of". Another excuse for a compilation padded out with a few unreleased songs would be yet another wasted opportunity.

The statement that it covers the years up to 2009 would suggest maybe they'll do a few new songs (a la 40 Licks) to bring it up to date - which would possibly mean that if they tour in 2010 it'll be behind this release of old material (with some 'new' songs) instead of a new studio album.

Well, Darryl has been doing some recording with Keith, maybe embryos of something to come

yeah? that's new news, isn't it?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 29, 2009 21:26

Seems like Universal really starts to move . .

A complete YaYa's, a remast. Exile with bonus stuff and now this new Anthology.

Some years back this would have been like a dream!

If they work hard on this compilation it could be a great release!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 29, 2009 21:49

Well personally I found 3 outta 4 of the tracks on 40 licks to be great. Don't Stop SHOULD be the modern classic that YGMR has become.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 29, 2009 21:53

VoodooLounge13
Well personally I found 3 outta 4 of the tracks on 40 licks to be great. Don't Stop SHOULD be the modern classic that YGMR has become.

not (necessarily) saying you're wrong..but is You Got ME Rockin' really considered
a "modern classic". I know it's catchy and it's been played on many tours since the VL Tour
but...classic?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: July 29, 2009 22:01

I can easily see this being a double disk, one your standard best of, the other 'rarerities / unreleased'.

It would appeal to those who don't have a stones best of AND those interested in the rare stuff.

BUT, credit to Universal for trying to do something with the Stones back cat, unlike EMI's effort!!

Date: July 29, 2009 22:09

LastStopThisTown
I can easily see this being a double disk

hell..for an anthology...i want 6 disks! 1 for each decade (5) and 1 dvd w/videos and live footage.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 29, 2009 22:11

VoodooLounge13

Great is a pretty daring description. (Not to mention using the word 'classic' and 'YGMR' in the same sentence)

I'd classify Gimme Shelter or Jumpin Jack Flash as 'great'.

Youd seriously regard those four songs as being comparable?

Dont Stop was a solid enough song. The other three would have been b-side material at best on any previous Stones release. All four of them sound like something they knocked together in about two days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-29 22:14 by Gazza.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: July 29, 2009 22:32

Hopefully this will be the boxset which was mentioned a few years ago when they released "Rareties" instead of it

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 29, 2009 22:45

Well there was that alleged "Memory Hotel" set that was supposed to come out around 1998. Supposedly the outtakes had been mixed and mastered, the packaging designed and a release date set. Unfortunately it was nixed at the last minute.

I think a track listing was also released, does anybody have any more info on the tracks that were to be included? I would think if that stuff was laying around ready to be released that they would probably use it in this set.

Anybody got any additional info?

Ross

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 29, 2009 22:52

Good news. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 29, 2009 22:53

No track listing ever appeared for 'Memory Hotel' which was announced in May '99 as being ready for release a couple of weeks later.

The fact that no track listing or artwork has ever been seen or verified for this release - even at the 11th hour - makes me wonder if the whole thing was bogus.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 29, 2009 22:59

Gazza
No track listing ever appeared for 'Memory Hotel' which was announced in May '99 as being ready for release a couple of weeks later.

The fact that no track listing or artwork has ever been seen or verified for this release - even at the 11th hour - makes me wonder if the whole thing was bogus.

It seemed weird to me at the time also. The news of its release popped up quickly from what appeared to be legitimate sources, then the word was that it was delayed and nothing ever happened.

Maybe BV can shed some light on whether this was legit or not.

Ross

Date: July 29, 2009 23:17

Its in the IORR news section for May 1999. It just appeared from nowhere and then.....ppppft...nothing. No formal announcement that it had been shelved that I recall. It was just never mentioned again.

I never read or saw any press release or news article announcing this album.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 29, 2009 23:39

If it's just some usual hits comp, that everybody has already a million times over, with the second disc being some B-sides that are probably on Sucking In The Seventies and Rarities, what will it matter? I can't see them reissuing Jump Back as it was originally and then releasing ANOTHER hits comp with the same songs on it with a couple of unreleased live recordings and some B-sides.

Right.

Maybe it will be different this time.

Personally, a disc of finished but not released for this or that album tracks, include the B-sides (even some or all of the Flashpoint B-sides like 2000 Light Years From Home) and then a disc of the legitimate remixes - Miss You, Undercover Of The Night, Too Much Blood, Harlem Shuffle, One Hit, um...I guess Mixed Emotions and RAAHP and the last one of any significance - Saint Of Me and then maybe some of the single remixes like Out Of Tears, Terrifying, Love Is Strong (Clearmountain), I Go Wild (Litt), some of the single edits that aren't on any comps like Almost Hear You Sigh or whatever else...

Not those stupid "deep dish" and dance remixes, the REAL remixes.

Or even those just on their own release. Why not?

Posted by: Bitch2 ()
Date: July 29, 2009 23:39

Has Bill Wyman cooporated? Seem to remember he has all the the lost knebworth and Mocambo masters? You have to think he would he a fair share?

Date: July 30, 2009 04:49

Gazza

sounds bogus just because of the UNimaginative "Memory Hotel" name.

Date: July 30, 2009 08:42

What me, as a Stones fan, would prefer, in decrescent order, in a box set like this:

1- Lost trax that noone would even know existing, just like a few in ( 4 Fab) Anthologies vols. 1,2 & 3.

2- Non released songs that we know and have, but rather in much better quality.
And/Or some complete versions of what was alternatively available, such as that wonderful rocker "I can see it", which is sometimes listed with another title.

3- Real alternate versions.Demos.

4- Mono/stereo routine. Not that we don´t love it. But it´s 1 2, & 3 type items that make us drool, isn´t it?

5- Edit/duration routine. On this we begin the pure collection bit, instead of the collection/music love far more yummy feeling, isn´t it?

6- DJ stuff. Pardon if I am a bit dino here, but just any DJ/remix stuff. be it real or not real. I want to buy Stones music, if it says Rolling STones on the cover.
Here we fall flatly on the industry/trend bit. And for me the saddest part is that they KNOW we are collectors. And they know that if the package only has this "item 6 " stuff as "rarities", we´ll buy it.

If it has 10 % of material like "items" 1,2 & 3 I will get almost happy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-30 08:44 by Gibson Fender-Nanker.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 30, 2009 09:12

UrbanSteel--that may be the besy post ever (your list) smiling smiley

Date: July 30, 2009 15:19

sweet neo con
VoodooLounge13

not (necessarily) saying you're wrong..but is You Got ME Rockin' really considered
a "modern classic". I know it's catchy and it's been played on many tours since the VL Tour
but...classic?

SNC,
I was looking at it more from the band's own perspective since they play it to death. Not that I have a problem with the song, but I do think there are better songs for modern classics: Don't Stop, Love Is Strong, and Rough Justice is probably the closest thing they've done to their old stuff since Start Me Up, IMO.
VL

Date: July 30, 2009 15:24

Gazza
VoodooLounge13

Great is a pretty daring description. (Not to mention using the word 'classic' and 'YGMR' in the same sentence)

I'd classify Gimme Shelter or Jumpin Jack Flash as 'great'.

Youd seriously regard those four songs as being comparable?

Dont Stop was a solid enough song. The other three would have been b-side material at best on any previous Stones release. All four of them sound like something they knocked together in about two days.

Well, Gazza, I guess it's just a difference of terminology then. LOL I'd call JJF and GS masterpieces, and those 3 as great, allbeit not equally great. I think Don't Stop and Losing My Touch are a tad ahead of Stealing My Heart, but still it's great. Don't Stop should have been huge - short, classic riffs, catchy...they just didn't believe in it enough or something. Losing My Touch could have closed any of their last 3 albums I think, and Stealing My Heart easily could have replaced Streets of Love, whose music I like, but the mundane lyrics often drive me nuts...just my take.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 30, 2009 16:24

Sure this topic will be 150 pages til december.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 30, 2009 16:47

I'm hoping we get the full length version of She Was Hot.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 30, 2009 17:47

There's that noone dude again. Must be a Stones thing.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 30, 2009 17:55

Well, If I learned one thing here over the years then:

Different strokes for different folks.

To me those Forty Licks supplements were mostly mediocre at best and Don't stop lightyears apart from their classic Stones stuff!

I'd had prefered some more of the original great songs instead of at least 3 of those 4!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 30, 2009 18:12

sweet neo con
Gazza

sounds bogus just because of the UNimaginative "Memory Hotel" name.

unlike the ingeniously original "a bigger bang" title

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 30, 2009 19:32

Very exciting news.

How much of it will come to fruition? That's a whole different story.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: July 31, 2009 21:27

I love to see this on the News page... and even then (look what happens with the Memory Hotel release...).
Perhaps we can have more info at the end of august.

If true, this could be a great year:
Get Yer Ya-Ya's -enhanced
Exile -enhanced
Box Set ????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-12 19:40 by Ricky.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 31, 2009 23:07

Nikolai
I'm hoping we get the full length version of She Was Hot.

That's what I'm hoping too, plus the original version of Might As Well Get Juiced.

Posted by: Rudolph ()
Date: August 1, 2009 01:42

Come on guys.No matter what is issued you will not be happy.Ronnie's discs sounded no better than the bootlegs. You've got most of the stuff,what do you want? Other than the hard core fans who is going to buy second hand material that wasn't considered good enough for release at the time. The money comes from the concerts and spin offs. You can't always get what you want but be thankful for what you get.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home