Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Best Song On Some Girls
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 23, 2009 13:11

Love Shattered, love Beast Of Burden, love Faraway Eyes and love Before They Make Me Run but really love Whip. The 'gay in New York fag in LSA' line cracks me up every time.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 23, 2009 13:26

my fav songs on the album are miss you,some girls,before they make me run and shattered

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: squando ()
Date: July 23, 2009 14:26

"Imagination" and "Miss you". Both brilliant on a great album with only Keith's number as filler my to ears .

How can anyone actually hate "Shattered". And I am awake - hence the typing. Great groovy, quirky little number that takes on a different (not worse) form when done live.

They really worked their harmonies on a couple of numbers - esp "Imagination" and "Faraway eyes". "She doesn't even knoooooow meh....." Great stuff.

P.S - Pity he sang it like a dick live in 1978 with the punk/English overkill "SHE DOESANT F*CKING KNOW MAR!!!!!"

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: July 23, 2009 14:40

Miss you is one of the cleverest arrangements ever. The disco meets blues works so well! When I first heard this song I knew nothing of disco at all (secluded hippy life!), and I had no bias such as "the stones are trying to be fashionable" or any such thing; and simply loved it.

When I realized how many influences come into it, I admired it.

The economy of the song (Verses+break+sax+verses+harp) is perfectly balanced; I love the way Mick introduces the sax with a scream and the harp with a moan; I love his haunted chatter up to the bridge, and his sexy whisper after the bass&drum break; the guitar interplay is soberly stunning, and the fade-out that leaves me wanting for more works perfectly.

ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE!

That been said, I love Shattered, Beast of Burden, Far Away Eyes, Before they make me... All classics. But Miss You, in terms both of conception and realization, is one step ahead.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 23, 2009 14:43

I'd say Before They Make Me Run and Beast Of Burden...can't pick one over the other of those 2; and it's also very suiting about the "somewhat short break" between those

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 23, 2009 15:08

respectable

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: July 23, 2009 15:56

Love the whole album, it was released as I got into the Stones and I embraced the whole shallow gossip column thing in the papers about them.

Before they make me run is just perfect though and the lyrics unforgettable. If I had to leave one track out it would probably be Just My Imagination, but this is an album without filler tracks, they're all good

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: July 23, 2009 16:06

To me the title track is the best. Has an almost Exile type feel to it. Respectable would be #2.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 23, 2009 16:10

Answer: Shattered.

The best Stones' album ever!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 23, 2009 16:59

Speaking of Shattered, I was on the beer line at a Stones show in '97 when they began to play a song I didn't recognize. You couldn't hear a damn thing out there in the hallway. It was all a big muffle. I said "What song is THAT? Sounds a little like Shattered". When I got back inside, it turned out they had been playing Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown. Took me 20 years to realize how similar those two songs are.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 23, 2009 17:17

Tough tough choice

A coin toss between Before They Make Me Run and Faraway Eyes. Wish the Stones would cut a country album - they're so friggin good at it, and would blow the doors off of today's "country".

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 23, 2009 17:30

shattered

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 23, 2009 18:00

Not in order :

Miss you :A response to punk songs ,the beat first ,then Mick's desparate voice singing ""ooouh ooouuh " which turns into "haaah aaah ".
When The Whip Comes Down .
Just My Imagination .
Beast Of Burden ..
Shattered : Does it matter?! Does it matter?" .

I love the whole album .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 23, 2009 18:02

If it's a masterpiece as some people claim, it's a very minor one. It is musical fluff cleverly produced to disguise the band's guitar playing limitations. Depending on your mood, it can be a bore. Nonetheless, it is a fun recording if you are not looking for anything more. There are nice songs in there, but I often wonder what could have been. It is the highlight of the Woody era, but that does not make it a classic.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 23, 2009 22:03

Never really liked this album. Most overrated album in their catalog. Beast of Burden is good though there are dozens of much much better Stones tunes. The rest of the album doesn't do much for me.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: July 23, 2009 22:20

Shattered. Respectable is a close second.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 23, 2009 23:26

I like the Keith song.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 23, 2009 23:51

Personal favourites: Shattered, Respectable, Before They Make Me Run, Beast of Burden.

I can see why it's an important album, but not one of my favourites.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 23, 2009 23:59

Bimmelzerbott
Never really liked this album. Most overrated album in their catalog. Beast of Burden is good though there are dozens of much much better Stones tunes. The rest of the album doesn't do much for me.

Finally somebody that knows what they are talking about.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 24, 2009 00:06

More Hot Rocks
Bimmelzerbott

In that case, please include me in that list of morons. I think it's a great album, there's maybe two songs that don't do much for me, but the rest is fantastic.

I think the problem with this album is that Miss You, BOB & Shattered still get so much airplay that I really can't stand to hear them anymore, but that does not make it a bad album, it's almost as though it's greatness ruined it.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-24 00:07 by CindyC.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 24, 2009 00:24

Tight race between Before They Make Me Run & Far Away Eyes.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 24, 2009 00:58

The Keith song is brilliant

Gonna find my way to heaven cuz I did my time in hell

This is such a great album - Does anyone put out an album that has ten good songs on it anymore?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 24, 2009 02:23

More Hot Rocks
Bimmelzerbott

Oh so there's 2 of you? I'd say...!
Happy recovering....hope it's not that awful flu

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: July 24, 2009 04:16

My favorite Stones album after their great run which ended with Exile.

Favorite cut - Some Girls...a classic

Least favorite - Shattered...didn't like it from 1st listen...still don't like it

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 24, 2009 14:45

I personally love Respectable and Before They Make Me Run. I have never liked Miss You. This is the very song I would never need to hear live again. They play it really often, so I got i twice on my three shows. I would rather take any other song. Anyway, the whole album is great, one of my favourites.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: July 24, 2009 15:19

"It is musical fluff cleverly produced to disguise the band's guitar playing limitations".

Just as your sentence is lyrical fluff cleverly presented to disguise your hearing limitations. Richards has a unique style and outside of lead guitar at that point in his career was an excellent guitarist.

Wood in 1977 as far as I'm concerned was one of the greatest guitarists in the world. A shame he's wasted space on stage nowadays but back then he was superb.

Anyways... don't understand how Keith ever came up with that self serving crap line "Gonna find my way to heaven cuz I did my time in hell".
He chose to be a junkie, alcoholic, chain smoking git. Children suffering from cancer are doing "time in hell" Keith, not spoiled, unable to get the f over themselves rockstars.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 24, 2009 15:54

You know it's funny, because I do think this is a great album, and that is DESPITE it having 2 of my very least favorite Stones songs on it: Shattered and Beast of Burden. So if an album can have tracks that one despises and yet one still considers it a great album, that must say something about just how friggin good the album is, no?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 24, 2009 21:18

I've always thought the live performance of Shattered was never as good and has never been topped since the Voodoo tour. Best version of that song. Ever.

They hauled out Some Girls for what, 1999? And it's even pretty good in SAL - probably the best song of the entire live album.

Posted by: rainhog ()
Date: July 26, 2009 02:02

what a GREAT album!! The damn thing is GREAT! Respectable is one of the greatest straight ahead rnr tunes!

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: July 26, 2009 02:53

Whip, I love that last minute or so when they crank up the tempo and intensity with Charlie's beat leading the guitars. Respectable is the quintessential song on the album for me and I always love their Chuck Berry r&r type numbers. All the songs are great to me and the album overall is in my top 5. Although I must admit that none of the songs makes it into my top 10 over all songs. I always see comments about the terrible lyrics of these songs but to me each has their own interesting narrative and I think the lyrics are great (well okay I am not going to argue too much about Lies)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-26 02:55 by livewithme.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home