Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Other Stonesy Albums
Date: July 18, 2009 18:12

Been done before, bit I'm always hoping to get the scoop on some new leads:
What albums are out there by other acts than the Stones, that are in the same spirit of the best Stones work. That try to deliver what the Stones deliver.

I have to name "Give Out But Don't Give Up" by Primal Scream
The self titles album by "The Novaks".
The Deadstring Bros are good.
"A Nod Is As Good As A Wink" by the Faces of course.

Re: Other Stonesy Albums
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 18, 2009 18:24

> The Deadstring Bros are good.

yeah, discovered them thanks to Rockman and I listen to them occasionally winking smiley

the Animals work (or most of 60s british blues band) is in similar style to Stones' 60s output (though I can't say I love their covers of Paint It Black or She Said Yeah).

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 18, 2009 18:25

Kill City by Iggy Pop & James Williamson (recorded 1974-75?)

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: July 18, 2009 18:26

Let's Go Get Stoned by The Chesterfield Kings

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 18, 2009 18:47

Black Crowes-''Southern Harmony...''

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 18, 2009 18:51

Toys in the Attic

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: July 18, 2009 18:58

Teenage Head - The Flamin' Groovies

Being There - Wilco

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 18, 2009 18:58

Mad Dogs And Englishmen - Joe Cocker, Leon Russel, Rita Coolidge etc 1969
Új Sokáig Voltunk Lenn (gone For A long Time) - Hobo Blues Band 1982
Still Alive And Well - Johnny Winter 1973 [www.amazon.com]
Blues Brothers - soundtrack 1980
NY Dolls - NY Dolls 1973
O.R Sings Soul Otis Redding 1965 [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 19, 2009 01:31

Well the Stones had various transitions in their career.
But I'd say a stonesy album sounds kind of Exile wise.

Personally I like Bands or songs that sound like this.
F. i.: Rocks,Bohemian like you, RocknRoll Nigger, Diamond Dogs+Rebel Rebel,some Iggy stuff,some Green on Red,Jets Are you gonna be my girl, etc.

Now I'd like to know is there a newer band in UK or USA at the moment that has this stonesy sound?

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: July 19, 2009 01:43

lord of the highway - joe ely
early Pretty Things - Rosilyn?
Stephen Bruten -
- Note that David Grissom (in the Ely band) is a master of KR style rhythms
Alejandro Escoveto - early stuff

Date: July 19, 2009 02:13

CousinC
-----

Now I'd like to know is there a newer band in UK or USA at the moment that has this stonesy sound?

Dont know what importance a UK/English origin should have, as long as they sing in English.. ?

BONGO BRAINS is purdy Stonesy, from Sweden. [www.myspace.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 19, 2009 02:31

Bintangs from Holland ..............

Think this one is from 69

'70

?

?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 19, 2009 02:45

Baboon Bro
CousinC
-----

Dont know what importance a UK/English origin should have, as long as they sing in English.. ?

Just because I wanted to know whether any of all those hyped new UK bands have such a Stonesy sound !

Date: July 19, 2009 02:49

CousinC
Baboon Bro
CousinC
-----

Just because I wanted to know whether any of all those hyped new UK bands have such a Stonesy sound !

Ok, fair enuff. Normally imo when bands are hyped & compared with Stone
they arent that much stonesy, soul- and spiritwise, nor music-wise.

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: July 19, 2009 03:38

That try and deliver what the Stones deliver? You mean crappy over-produced songs, and tired, bloated performances from a band that should have quit years ago? If that's what you mean, there's plenty of bands like the Stones around these days, unfortunately.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 19, 2009 04:38

Lots of old stuff here, are there more recent bands?

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 19, 2009 06:24

Buckcherry-Buckcherry

jet

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 19, 2009 13:22

The Soundtrack of Our Lives are heavy influenced by the Stones. Just listen to the songs Blow My Cool and Firmament Vacation. smiling smiley TSOOL used to be the best rockband Sweden ever had. But these days they are pretty dull.

Date: July 19, 2009 16:27

Tonterapi, I very much agree with about TSOOL. I was pretty stoked to get the last one ; (I think it was called "Communion") and like you said it is kind of dull. I love those earlier album; they had great sense of drama, the way the albums would open. I mean: "Mantra Slider". Come on; that rocks totally. Or "Infra Riot" too.

But I too was kind of hoping to get some new-ish names; names of new bands doing it up the right way.
Personally what I mean when I say "stonesy" is the spirit. E.g. you get someone in 70's like Elton John and his discplined band - they try to write a "Stonesy" song and do "Saturday Night Alright", those bad lyrics and some sus4 chords, but it is not "Stones" to me at all. I love the whole marriage of gospel/ blues and country that the Stones do. But the songs have to be there too. I like Izzy Stradlin a lot. And he knows all the things he wants to have in place; and gets it too. He will have Rick Richards from the Ga Satellites on a Dan Armstrong guitar and Mac on keys etc. But the songs are lacking. IMO Izzy was the best writer of GnR hands down, he just got lazy once he went solo. Still writes excellent songs , but lazy.

Date: July 19, 2009 18:31

Speakin of TSOOL their last outta the Sunday Singles Flipside is out today.. Album in a month [www.tsool.net]
Download their non-album single Swin Like A Bird (etc!) legally for free at Windows for yer MP3 or MP4 [www.myspace.com]
Tour
21.7 Mariehamn-Rock Off, SWE
23.7 Strömstad -Skagerack, SWE
24.7 Malakoff Rockfestival- Nordfjordeid, NOR
01.8 Storås -Storåsfestivalen, NOR
07.8 Rothenburg- Taubertal, GER
15.8 Haldern pop festival Haldern
19.8 Malmöfestivalen Malmö
20.8 Scala London
21.8 Slussens pensionat Orust
22.8 Slussens pensionat Orust
23.8 Slussens pensionat Orust
28.8 Gröna lund Stockholm

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 19, 2009 19:08

Search him here (www.carlcarlton.de - official website) or search him there (www.carl-carlton.net - fan website), sure on youtube and places like that.
Carl Carlton & The Songdogs is the best!

albums: Songs For The Lost and Brave
CaHoots & Roots (with Bobby Keys, live and outtakes)
Love & Respect (my favourite)
Revolution Avenue (with covers of Breathe On Me and I Can Feel The Fire)

a friend of Ronnie, lives near him in Ireland
other related musicians: Ian McLagan, Wayne Sheehey
band members from Mother's Finest and German creme de la creme

Carlton is and was well known as studio musician and producer, played for Hermann Brood and Eric Burdon f.e. (plus Lindenberg, Maffay, Niedecken for the Germans here).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-20 10:49 by JJHMick.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 19, 2009 19:28

Palace Revolution 2000
Tonterapi, I very much agree with about TSOOL. I was pretty stoked to get the last one ; (I think it was called "Communion") and like you said it is kind of dull. I love those earlier album; they had great sense of drama, the way the albums would open. I mean: "Mantra Slider". Come on; that rocks totally. Or "Infra Riot" too.
Definitely! But much of the "old" sound was mainly because of the former member Björn Olsson. Björn has released a couple of solo-albums since he left the band and you can really hear that his somwehat trademark-sound (zithers, falsetto choirs and massive reverbs) made those TSOOL-albums. Nobody sounds like Björn (even though it actually was Ebbot Lundberg that made them sound TSOOL-ish in the end)

Btw: Ebbot now produces a band that are called Oholics. They are pretty good and well worth a listen. smiling smiley [www.myspace.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 20, 2009 09:41

and also Chris Baileys two first albums:

2 1 2 0

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 20, 2009 16:28

mandu
Buckcherry-Buckcherry

jet

I always thought Buckcherry sounded like 1/2 Black Crowes and 1/2 Guns and Roses.

Jet I find hard to categorize...most of what I hear does sound like someone else. One of their songs has the guitar rhythm of Bachman Turner Overdrive's "Takin' Care of Business" in it note for note. One of the mellower songs on the same album sounds like it could've come off a Badfinger album, or possibly the Beatles. And their new song, soon as I heard it, I thought "My Sherona".

Posted by: gomp ()
Date: July 20, 2009 17:04

The first few Black Crowes records sound pretty "Stonesy".

Or at least they sound like the Faces, who sounded like the Stones.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: July 22, 2009 03:15

Koen

Chesterfield Kings have been around the block - but they have a knock-out current single called 'Up Down' that is as Stonesy as you can get.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 22, 2009 03:56

London Quireboys

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: July 22, 2009 05:33

Have a listen to this one.

I don't know how to post it but just go into "YOUTUBE" & type in "SUNSET BABIES ALICE COOPER". It is one of his most recent efforts from 2007 or so.

He out Stones' the Stones on this, which is no surprise. He worships the Stones & his whole career has based many of his songs around the Stones riff cannon.

Give it a go, it is only from a couple of years ago from his "Dirty Diamonds" album.

Also listen to "PRETTY BALLERINA" - a brilliant cover from Alice of a old classic. Some of you will know it.

Hope you enjoy.

Some other bands of recent as also mentioned above -
Black Crowes [without question].
Dandy Warhols [some of their songs, not all]. Massive Stones fans.

Date: July 22, 2009 06:19

Tonterapi - yes, I am not quite current in their history. I saw a bunch of old videos; and I see that the guitarists changed.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: July 22, 2009 17:16

mstmst
Koen

Chesterfield Kings have been around the block - but they have a knock-out current single called 'Up Down' that is as Stonesy as you can get.

Agreed.

Hey, I have an idea for the next Stones project: They should do a covers album of Flamin' Groovies and Chesterfield Kings songs. Ha! Nobody'd see that coming.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home