Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Madstock,Victoria Park,London,Friday 18th July 2009
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 18, 2009 16:47

Hello,

I saw Madness play once before,at The Astoria way back in Christmas 2005 (I think),and I remember it very fondly.So it was a no-brainer when the band announced another Madstock as part of their 30th anniversary celebrations-we were gonna go!

And of course the weather was pretty awful in parts,cold and showery but that didn't stop however-many thousand fans,both middle-aged (ahem) and young,leaping around like idiots and singing all those songs that still sound so good.

Unfortunately we arrived too late to catch The Blockheads,but up next were The Pogues,whom I'd never seen.Nobody knew if Shane MacGowan was going to show or not,but when the band strode,well ambled onstage there he was with a tall drink and cigarette in hand. and an eye-patch!

It didn't take much to get the crowd going even if you couldn't understand much of what SM was singing.I swear,during one bit of between-song banter he wished us,
"Good luck with your Christmas shopping."
Fair enough,Shane.It was impossible to say if he really was hammered or if he was hamming it up a little,but he and his band held the attention for one hour before the Main Event.

As you can imagine,there was a massive ovation for the Return of The Las Palmas Seven,followed by complete pandemonium for the first three songs:I mean totally crazy down the front,and as was the case with The Specials shows,you ended up being spat out to the side where it relatively calm.I defy anyone not to start moving when 'One Step Beyond' is ever played:it is involuntary!

Suggs and his comrades played a blinder for just about two hours which gave them enough time to play some new songs from their latest LP "The Liberty Of Norton Folgate" in between running through all their terrific singles,all the while dodging some beer cartons thrown by the more moronic element every so often.

At the close Suggs brought Mr. Jerry Dammers out to play on their title song,'Madness',and he clearly loved the attention.

That band were able to make you forget that you were standing in a muddy park,wet and hoarse and facing an awkward journey home.Definitely worth it.

Cheers,

Si.

Re: O/T Madstock,Victoria Park,London,Friday 18th July 2009
Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: July 18, 2009 16:51

Sounds like fun. I have Pogues tickets for October.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: July 18, 2009 18:00

was there as well, only saw the Pogues and Madness. I've seen the Pogues countless times and was on of the dozen or so ath their first gig at the Pindar Of Wakefield ( now the water rats). I thought that Phil Chevrons Thousands Are Sailing was a highlight. a great if not prolific writer. I'd love to see the Pogues do his " Faithfull Departed" form his PuNk days with The RAdiators From Space ( Ghostown is one of the best albums from the PuNk era).

I had a VIP pass and was directed all over the feckin place by the time I got backstage all anyone i had planned to meet ahd legged it for the day.

Yes the weather was crap and the location is far from ideal, but Madness with their string of hits managed to overcome that. a fun time band of the highest order.

As usual with these kinda gigs, you do get a high propotion of @#$%& who seem happy to just get drunk on over priced weak beer.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: July 18, 2009 18:09

A very out of focus picture of the crowd from just behind the stage.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 19, 2009 01:31

SimonN

That band were able to make you forget that you were standing in a muddy park,wet and hoarse and facing an awkward journey home.Definitely worth it.

My definition of a great band - one that can make you forget that you're too hot/wet/cold and your feet ache!

Just ordered the Norton Folgate LP - it's great to have Madness back in action again.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 20, 2009 10:27

thanks for the reviews and photos

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 20, 2009 12:15

Thanks for pics and reviews.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 20, 2009 15:49

It didn't take much to get the crowd going even if you couldn't understand much of what SM was singing.I swear,during one bit of between-song banter he wished us, "[b]Good luck with your Christmas shopping[/b]."
lol, the crazy paddy.
what's up with the eye-patch though?

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: July 22, 2009 21:07

I was at the first Madstock back in 92. Great day. Must get around to doing another at some point.

Posted by: msj100 ()
Date: August 1, 2009 05:02

Recommend you think long and hard about going...the (glass) bottles rained down at Madstock '09 Victoria Park - thrown by the stupid minority, supplied by the even more stupid organisers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home