Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: OT: Impressive U2 tour boxscores
Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 19, 2009 02:54

I predict a new Stones tour in 2010. I would love a clubs or arenas tour. But the important is see the boys on stage again.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: July 19, 2009 03:11

skipstone
I love this: "The setlist was too focused on new stuff".

Wow - what a fantastic idea, to tour a NEW record and play NEW songs.
someone should mention it to mick...

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: July 19, 2009 03:17

oldkr
Also the stones will be surpassed in terms of grosses and tickets sold as well as touring innovations and marketing strategies.

OLDKR
thats ok..i'm pretty sure they sell the most beer..at least at the shows i was at!!..hehe hehe hehe burp sorry...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-19 03:20 by lunar!!!.

Posted by: Anthony ()
Date: July 19, 2009 05:41

timbernardis

i hate u2 and i hope something happens to derail their tour

Wow, issues?

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: July 19, 2009 10:48

phd
Massimo68
phd
I do not know the source of these numbers, but impressive. Just like to know how you can book an 93,000 audience in a Stadium where the maximum authorised by the State Dpt is 80,000.

80,000 yes, for football or rugby.
But 93,000 is for all the seats (it's a 360° show) and the people on the field.

30,000 more people than the Stones/2006 and 40,000 more than the Stones/2007.

2006 :

2009 :

You are surely kidding. In 2006, The Stade was full : 80,000. Sources on TV and Press gave the figure of 90,000 which I believed at that time. In 2006, a second show sold out was cancelled and postoned to 2007. The Stade was a small one which is given for 60,000. Nevertheless, the average 93,000 for U2 is impressive, though still puzzles me as the second show was not sold out and tons of ticks were available on ebay. But if Billboard - Bible wrote.....

I'm not kidding.
The numbers were given here by Georgelicks himself (Billboard source) in 2006.

The Rolling Stones
Stade De France
Paris, France
July 28, 2006
$5,956,525
$94.91
Concert Productions International/Live Nation

Do you prefer to believe numbers given by a TV ? Is this a joke ?
The Stade de France was full ? Have you take a look at the 1st picture ?
Come on, man...

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 19, 2009 11:08

I was there all four times and yes, more people to see U2 than the Stones, but the pix don't really tell the story, half the pitch was taken by the Claw, and the engineers tent.

But once again, Why do we care about this stuff? Is still McDonalds against Adria, can not compare The Stones to U2, this should stop. I can't care less about how many tix sold Britney or Michael or Abba or your local super star, nothing will make me love the Stones less (other than the Stones themselves)

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: July 19, 2009 11:58

timbernardis

I bet you feel real proud about this comment. Imagine that somebody would make a similar remark about the next Rolling Stones tour.
How'd that make you feel? The good news is that there's an Edit button. Do yourself a favor and use it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 19, 2009 12:19

timbernardis

the start of their last tour was postponed by a couple of months because The Edge's daughter was receiving treatment for leukemia.

Maybe you'd get a kick if something like that happened again or even if the child died?

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: July 19, 2009 13:27

Back to the music.
Incredible moment yesterday night in Berlin, the song Angel of Harlem was performed by some guys from the audience !

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 19, 2009 14:00

Massimo68
phd
Massimo68
phd
I do not know the source of these numbers, but impressive. Just like to know how you can book an 93,000 audience in a Stadium where the maximum authorised by the State Dpt is 80,000.

80,000 yes, for football or rugby.
But 93,000 is for all the seats (it's a 360° show) and the people on the field.

30,000 more people than the Stones/2006 and 40,000 more than the Stones/2007.

2006 :

2009 :

You are surely kidding. In 2006, The Stade was full : 80,000. Sources on TV and Press gave the figure of 90,000 which I believed at that time. In 2006, a second show sold out was cancelled and postoned to 2007. The Stade was a small one which is given for 60,000. Nevertheless, the average 93,000 for U2 is impressive, though still puzzles me as the second show was not sold out and tons of ticks were available on ebay. But if Billboard - Bible wrote.....

I'm not kidding.
The numbers were given here by Georgelicks himself (Billboard source) in 2006.

The Rolling Stones
Stade De France
Paris, France
July 28, 2006
$5,956,525
$94.91
Concert Productions International/Live Nation

Do you prefer to believe numbers given by a TV ? Is this a joke ?
The Stade de France was full ? Have you take a look at the 1st picture ?
Come on, man...

Then compare U2 now with Stones in 1995 - twice Paris with 80.000.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: July 19, 2009 14:55

"half the pitch was taken by the Claw"
that´s wrong. the stage itself is a lot smaller than stones stage and not as wide. there were a lot of people around the stage, behind the stage, even far behind the stage and also filled seats behind the stage. where when the stones play half the stadium is filled with the stage. also the infield was really full.

the show was great. not only because of the stage and lights, but the peformance was really good. really good sound, something that hasn´t happened lately with stones concerts. also snow patrol was allowed to have a very good sound, which is very cool from u2 if you ask me. mixture of new and old songs almost perfect. also i haven´t seen so many young people at a concert for a long time. a few weeks ago i saw depeche mode and it was like grandma meets grandpa. this is still a current band. and as much as i hate to say it. i doubt the stones will ever get anywhere near that again.

which is alright with me, but i am sure they will hate it and probably makes them not tour again.
if you ask me, i think u2 deserves their success. it is a good band. i don´t understand all the hate here. they definately have some very good songs,also very good new songs, and it would be alright to admit that even though you may like the stones better.
the stones haven´t done one good, relevant new song in 30 years.
that´s their fault!

Posted by: five_strings_G ()
Date: July 19, 2009 15:40

I think this whole thread is pointless. U2 is a cool band, so are the stones (way cooler but thats just my humble op.). What we see on those vids is that U2 can create a real good mood in concerts, which is great. And it's obvious even if you have never been there (like me), like the music or not. One the other hand there is no doubt that stones are way more relevant concerning music history and also there songs have in general more depth. I am a stones fanatic but I also discovered U2 recently, they are a fine band and great performes. But they are "just" followers on the way the stones pathfinded.

Btw did someone mention that U2 is just playing one city per country, even if there are 2 shows, this relativates these numbers and lets the stones one top if you compare the stats countrywise. Berlin wasn't sold out, as you could get tickets to the very last minute. same thing seem to happen to gelsenkirchen (see getgo.de) Even if the stones don't keep the record for the most grossing tour to eternity, they will be more relevant than many others. (I don't see Mozart ore Beethoven on that list know what I mean?)

Jens

Date: July 19, 2009 15:52

"did someone mention that U2 is just playing one city per country"
which only means they are making even more money. you better don´t compare the netto income then.

Date: July 19, 2009 15:57

not really, for example 5 times germany is not exactly the same as 2 time (2 time not sold out btw) but even if, it's not about money. but if the stones would play just one city per country they would also sell out two shows easily ...

Date: July 19, 2009 16:48

i don´t think the stones could sell out if they only did 1 show.
but i certainly believe u2 could do 5 shows in germany and still sell out or almost sell out. sell out in this case with that stage means like 100000 people per show.

"it's not about money" this thread is only about money.

Date: July 19, 2009 17:30

money-actually that's why it's pointless.
what you believe is one thing, the simple thruth another. if they could, why don't they just do it. berlin wasn't sold out - factum. and everytime U2 was around here in germany they gave just few concerts and even though it's been some years since their last appearance here, you can compare the success (audience drawing) with the second leg of the ABB-tour which was one year after a tour that was 2 years after another tour. U2 are great stadium rockers but if you compare what they've done since 1990 to that what the stones did you see where the beef is. Even if the stones have overdone some markets they still draw on a high level. U2 didn't and do also draw high level. where is the point?

we don't have a single stadium which could hold 100000 people ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-19 17:46 by five_strings_G.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: July 19, 2009 17:38

It because Gazza, some people see music like a sport, where you have one favourite team and record and ticket sales are the barometer of how they are judged, they can then have schoolyards type arguements using these stats to support their claim that their band is BIGGER and BETTER then yours.

I too have never understood some peoples intolerance of other peoples musical tatstes.
Also " this is a stones site" argument only gets rolled out when a band they dont like ( and wish harm on !!!) gets mentioned.

as you say baffling, but ultimatly, childish and intolerant.

save your pasion for the music you love and your intolerance for something like racism.

Date: July 19, 2009 17:44

D'accord!

Stones=good U2=good everything=good

have a nice weekend!

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 19, 2009 18:00

Unfortunatly Boxscores are more of a dick waving contest

Date: July 19, 2009 19:01

five_strings_G
Btw did someone mention that U2 is just playing one city per country

They're not.

Date: July 19, 2009 19:29

in europe mainly they do ...

Date: July 19, 2009 20:29

Well, theyre only playing 15 cities in Europe so thats understandable, but its still not the "1 city per country" that was stated.

Plus there will be a second European leg next summer.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 19, 2009 22:59

five_strings_G
not really, for example 5 times germany is not exactly the same as 2 time (2 time not sold out btw) but even if, it's not about money. but if the stones would play just one city per country they would also sell out two shows easily ...

In 1995 Stones sold out 5 times in Amsterdam - U2 haven't sold out 2 conserts.

Take that.

Stones were huge in 1995 - that's compareable with U2 anno 2009.

Date: July 19, 2009 23:05

The 5 nights in Amsterdam was actually in 1998, not 1995. 250,000 tickets sold in a couple of hours. And then they returned to play a field show in The Hague a couple of months later in front of some 80,000 people.

The Stones were (and still are) huge. However, the days of multiple night runs in the same venue are a thing of the past at the prices they charge now. In 1998, tickets were about £35-40.

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: July 19, 2009 23:55

This tour U2 play only at places with huge stadiums.. fans who live in countries without a stadium like this.. have to travel far. Even countries where their fans were always there. sold out their gigs.. but they don't care. Thats what some U2 fans told me here. And their "red zone" ticket thing did not enjoy everybody. It might be the best selling tour. Perfect pop show. Ok. Ok for others. That's the frist time I will miss it. Had 2 Tickets for Berlin yesterday, sold them a week ago after I saw this stage and heard of the "space" thing in Barcelona. Don't want to have a message from up there. Want to have mainly live music. And I don't care. The money I got for the two tickerts I did spend to buy Metallica Hallenstadion Zurich Tickets. Stage also in the middle of the arena (not the first time.. they did that in 1997- U2 are not the first ones). U2 is now history for me. I am not a hater, saw them - with one exeption - on every tour since 1987. But now I am not interested anymore. But I wish everybody a lot of fun or whatever.. a big "experience" I guess thats what these days most people expect from a "show". Did not like that monster Bigger Bang buildings on stage. For me less would have been better. Maybe tickets would be cheaper (I am a DREAMER)

Date: July 20, 2009 00:51

Marianne - I think next year's European tour may be mostly arenas, if it takes place in Aug-Sept as appears to be the plan. Or at least in smaller stadiums - like you say, it appears only massive stadiums can take this show.

They're playing three stadium shows in Dublin next weekend - 80,000 plus each show. Didnt care much for the new album and the whole tour is on such a huge scale it gave me little interest in buying a ticket. Seen them five times between 1987 and 2005 and that'll probably be enough unless they play in my own city like they did in '87 and '97.

Agree with you that less is better. I'm pretty much bored with stadium 'spectaculars' (never cared for the bells and whistles aspect of a rock concert that much to begin with, anyway) no matter who it is. It's just got a bit over the top to hold my interest.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: July 20, 2009 00:56

to think i meet up with my old mate Jim four mondays in a row to see the do their Marquee residency around 80/81. each and every night we said " ya another round, lets go next week"

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 20, 2009 01:09

Gazza
Marianne - I think next year's European tour may be mostly arenas, if it takes place in Aug-Sept as appears to be the plan. Or at least in smaller stadiums - like you say, it appears only massive stadiums can take this show.

They're playing three stadium shows in Dublin next weekend - 80,000 plus each show. Didnt care much for the new album and the whole tour is on such a huge scale it gave me little interest in buying a ticket. Seen them five times between 1987 and 2005 and that'll probably be enough unless they play in my own city like they did in '87 and '97.

Agree with you that less is better. I'm pretty much bored with stadium 'spectaculars' (never cared for the bells and whistles aspect of a rock concert that much to begin with, anyway) no matter who it is. It's just got a bit over the top to hold my interest.

I hope they don't go over the curfew.winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: July 20, 2009 04:15

The ticket sales are impressive but I will take a 3 hr. show in front of 20,000-40,000 with no gimmicks or ridiculous stage any day of the week.

Date: July 20, 2009 14:21

birdie
The ticket sales are impressive but I will take a 3 hr. show in front of 20,000-40,000 with no gimmicks or ridiculous stage any day of the week.

smileys with beer

And with about half the ticket price and random playlists for good measure...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-20 14:23 by Gazza.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home