Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Dylan out does the covers
Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: January 21, 2011 13:53

If The Byrds' version of Mr Tambourine Man featured the other three verses, it'd be WAY better than the original. However, I listen to it and, amazing as it is, I miss the other beautiful, beautiful lyrics.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 21, 2011 13:53

ablett
Now your talking

Elvis covers Dylan

Yeah! That cover is reallllly good. Thank you for posting.,
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 13:54

I agree, nothing can beat Dylan's version of MTM from the Bootleg series vol. 4, his blast gig at the Royal Albert Hall. His harp solo on that is the epic acid folk adventure. Beyond what should be expected from a human to create. Absolute sun in its purest form. It cascades up and down in and out throughout the past and future. Incredible!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 21, 2011 14:56

Just watch Ronnie moves...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 21, 2011 15:02

Sorry Wanda but....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 15:22

Really, that is one of my favorite of the bootleg series, the Royal Albert Hall is phenomenal. The did a nice package with a great remix. The version of Visions of Johanna is sublime. One of the best things played live ever, ranks up there with Mozart!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 21, 2011 16:44

stones78
I prefer G. Harrison's If Not For You and Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower to Bob's versions. But Mr. Tambourine Man in its original version is a cornerstone in the history of rock. The Byrds' rendition is a nice folk-rock tune, but Dylan's original is beyond any genre.

I think in the case of "Mr. Tambourine Man," the Byrds' version is actually the original, in terms of first released. If I recall correctly, Dylan performed it for a while live before releasing it on the BIABH album, and never as a single like the Byrds' version.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 21, 2011 16:45

whitem8
I agree, nothing can beat Dylan's version of MTM from the Bootleg series vol. 4, his blast gig at the Royal Albert Hall. His harp solo on that is the epic acid folk adventure. Beyond what should be expected from a human to create. Absolute sun in its purest form. It cascades up and down in and out throughout the past and future. Incredible!
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 21, 2011 17:02

whitem8
Really, that is one of my favorite of the bootleg series, the Royal Albert Hall is phenomenal. The did a nice package with a great remix. The version of Visions of Johanna is sublime. One of the best things played live ever, ranks up there with Mozart!

i've been looking for some good live mozart, but all i got are some crappy audience tapes...i don't think fans were very technically sophisticated in those daze, or they just didn't take this stuff very seriously.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 22, 2011 02:40

cc
stones78
I prefer G. Harrison's If Not For You and Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower to Bob's versions. But Mr. Tambourine Man in its original version is a cornerstone in the history of rock. The Byrds' rendition is a nice folk-rock tune, but Dylan's original is beyond any genre.

I think in the case of "Mr. Tambourine Man," the Byrds' version is actually the original, in terms of first released. If I recall correctly, Dylan performed it for a while live before releasing it on the BIABH album, and never as a single like the Byrds' version.

Dylan's version was released on BIABH in March '65. The Byrds released their version as a single about three weeks later.

Dylan had written it for 'Another Side' about a year earlier, however. An early demo from around then was released on 'The Witmark demos' Bootleg Series 3 months ago, and a live version from the New York show at Hallowe'en '64 was released on the live album from that show on Bootleg Series Vol. 6 in 2004.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 22, 2011 02:56

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 22, 2011 02:59

24FPS

Dylan was once asked what accomplishment he was most proud of. He replied "Elvis recorded a song of mine".

Date: January 22, 2011 05:14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-22 05:29 by 24FPS.

Date: January 22, 2011 05:32

Date: January 22, 2011 06:52

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 22, 2011 18:10

On his "Chronicles, vol. 1" Dylan himself says that Johnny Rivers recorded the best version for one of his songs, Positively 4th Street.

Date: January 22, 2011 18:12

johnny rivers did the best version of whiter shade of pale, too. one of my fave singers ever...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 22, 2011 18:19

Johnny's version of Whiter shade of pale is great, too.

Date: January 22, 2011 19:48

I give up. I tried to download 4 different 'Mighty Quinn' by Manfred Mann from YouTube and always got an unavailable message. Could be me. Could be that there's a 2nd British Invasion DVD documentary set with Manfred Mann, The Pretty Things, The Hollies (I think), and an unknown. Or it could be me.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-22 20:02 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 23, 2011 00:30

...there are a lot of better discs...but I just can't take The Essential Bob Dylan out of rotation....he is as poignant today as ever with what's going on.

Date: January 23, 2011 00:46

Rip This
.he is as poignant today as ever with what's going on.

i've been away....what's going on?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 23, 2011 00:47

....welcome back dude

Date: January 23, 2011 03:56

Saw Dylan at the Staples Center in L.A. in October 2001, fresh on the heels of 9/11. The way he delivered 'Blowin' In The Wind' that night made it feel fresh and relevant.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 30, 2011 04:31

.....YEAH forgot about Old Crow Medicine Show's loverleeeeee
workover of Wagon Wheel ... But I guess Mr Chops would know ALL about that one

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 30, 2011 05:50

Sheryl Crow's cover of "Mississippi" is pretty good. Like it more than the Dylan version.

Date: January 30, 2011 08:58

A recent find.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: January 30, 2011 10:16

TornAndFried
Sheryl Crow's cover of "Mississippi" is pretty good. Like it more than the Dylan version.

if you compare it to the original wich was recorded for Time out of mind, maybe. But the Love & Theft version is far better than Sheryls boring killing of this beautiful song; just my opinion

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 30, 2011 13:24

bluesinc.
TornAndFried

if you compare it to the original wich was recorded for Time out of mind, maybe. But the Love & Theft version is far better than Sheryls boring killing of this beautiful song; just my opinion

Exactly. Everytime I listen to LOVE & THEFT version - that I consider 'original' - I am always fascinated by the observation that there is no human way to sing more significiantly as Dylan does there. After hearing that I don't even feel like hearing anyone else singing that song (applies to many other Dylan masterpieces as well. The principle applies very well to the Stones as well.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-30 13:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: January 30, 2011 15:38

Sinead Lohan's version of To Ramona is pretty good if I recall

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 30, 2011 16:43

TornAndFried

huh? I my opinion Crow's version is pretty shit - after the first third of the song there's nothing but repetition. She somehow screams/shouts the whole song ignoring all the subtleties that makes Dylan's own performances worthwhile listening to.

It fact I usually use her version of the song to demonstrate people why Bob's singing is so great. The way he uses his voice on the Love & Theft version keeps everything vague while Sheryl Crow shouts everything right in your face and thus misses the richness of the song - and destroys it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-30 16:44 by slewan.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2051
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home